PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem at the Champ Game

Pride Baritone
12/3/2007, 10:24 AM
I know I can't be the only one who thinks this.

The singing of the National Anthem at the game on Saturday was a freaking disgrace to our country. The song has notes, and it should be sung that way. I'm so tired of these clowns who are more interested in getting face time than honoring our country who choose to embelish and drag out our country's Anthem.

If I wouldn't feel so bad about doing it, I would have booed that guy off the field on Saturday. It was absolutely terrible. Sing the freaking song the way it's supposed to be sung and get off the field. It shouldn't take three minutes to get through the National Anthem, and you shouldn't have to sing four notes for every syllable of every word. Get over yourself.

yermom
12/3/2007, 10:28 AM
the sound system wasn't doing him any favors either

the whole thing just sounded awful

soonerinabilene
12/3/2007, 10:30 AM
poke fan thinking this is about Home of the Sooners in 3,2,1...

Blues1
12/3/2007, 10:36 AM
The National Anthem is not a easy song to sing to begin with...These new age Singers try to show off their vocal talent and 99% of them fall on their butts - Glad I didn't hear it on National TV...What dumb *** screw it up this time...???

OKLA21FAN
12/3/2007, 10:47 AM
poke fan thinking this is about Home of the Sooners in 3,2,1...

had a funny about this a the champ game.

after the obligatory 'SOONERS' at the end of the anthem, this MU fan sitting just in front of me turned and said 'no!!! don't do that'. i responded with, 'i am sorry if this offends you, it is simply something that is representative of OU' then i noticed his cell phone 'desk top' that had a STL CARDS logo on it. i then realized what his issue truly was. i asked him if he was a 'RAMS' fan, and he said 'YES, of course!', i told him 'well that explains it then, as you don't like anything the CHIEFS do'

he just got some failed smile and turned around :pop:

colleyvillesooner
12/3/2007, 10:48 AM
That guy was beyond horrible...

Civicus_Sooner
12/3/2007, 10:48 AM
I know I can't be the only one who thinks this.

The singing of the National Anthem at the game on Saturday was a freaking disgrace to our country. The song has notes, and it should be sung that way. I'm so tired of these clowns who are more interested in getting face time than honoring our country who choose to embelish and drag out our country's Anthem.

If I wouldn't feel so bad about doing it, I would have booed that guy off the field on Saturday. It was absolutely terrible. Sing the freaking song the way it's supposed to be sung and get off the field. It shouldn't take three minutes to get through the National Anthem, and you shouldn't have to sing four notes for every syllable of every word. Get over yourself.
Agree 100%

MamaMia
12/3/2007, 10:54 AM
I've stopped singing along altogether because the new wave of anthem singers change the notes so much nowadays, and that guy had a squeaky voice. In his defense though, maybe he had a sour throat, but if he did then he should have bowed out and let someone with a well voice sing our nations anthem.

TUSooner
12/3/2007, 10:59 AM
I have played the Star Spangled Banner about a zillion times - always straight - and I don't actually like "home of the SOONERS." I wish it would stop, but I won't fight over it. What I REALLY hate is hearing the song butchered by pop stars and crooners; it's just agonizing. So, out of respect for the Nation, I change the channel when it comes on and observe a minute or 2 of silence before changing back.

Civicus_Sooner
12/3/2007, 11:03 AM
I have played the Star Spangled Banner about a zillion times - always straight - and I don't actually like "home of the SOONERS." I wish it would stop, but I won't fight over it. What I REALLY hate is hearing the song butchered by pop stars and crooners; it's just agonizing. So, out of respect for the Nation, I change the channel when it comes on and observe a minute or 2 of silence before changing back.Cale Gundy said he always comes out early befor each home game specifically to hear 80K fans yell, "Home of the Sooners."

I shall continue.

mdward4
12/3/2007, 11:03 AM
Yeah, it was the anthem in super-slow with ultra reverb (c/o the Adome terrible acoustics), worst evar!

Paperclip
12/3/2007, 11:05 AM
Worse than Trenny Triggs?

OKLA21FAN
12/3/2007, 11:07 AM
Cale Gundy said he always comes out early befor each home game specifically to hear 80K fans yell, "Home of the Sooners."

I shall continue.

and it gives him goose bumps :pop:

TUSooner
12/3/2007, 11:19 AM
Cale Gundy said he always comes out early befor each home game specifically to hear 80K fans yell, "Home of the Sooners."

I shall continue.
Well then good for you and Cale and all them.
:twinkies:

I SAID I wouldn't fight over it. :rolleyes:

Civicus_Sooner
12/3/2007, 11:26 AM
Well then good for you and Cale and all them.
:twinkies:

I SAID I wouldn't fight over it. :rolleyes:Good cuz I'd kick your azz.

;)

Lott's Bandana
12/3/2007, 11:32 AM
...and I don't actually like "home of the SOONERS." I wish it would stop, but I won't fight over it.

Atlanta baseball fans have been doing this for years.

"ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

BermudaSooner
12/3/2007, 11:40 AM
So how bad was it, I mean...it couldn't have been Ashley Simpson bad...now that was bad.

OUTrumpet
12/3/2007, 11:40 AM
Was I the only one reminded of Bleeding Gums Murphy's rendition of the national anthem during the Big 12 Championship?

OUmillenium
12/3/2007, 11:47 AM
My grandfather in law is a Korean War vet and my dad is a WWII vet. They hate it when modern drockets "soul up" the National Anthem and so do I.

Thank goodness for those who bang through it on time and in a respectful manner, ala Huey Lewis and the news 1988 world series.

Phil
12/3/2007, 01:19 PM
Worse than Trenny Triggs?

Nothing could be worse than that guy. I'm pretty sure he was drunk.

And with respect to the guy in San Antonio - yes, he did try to soul the thing up too much. However, in fairness, the mic wasn't even working when he started, when the sound did come on it was all screwed up, and he clearly didn't have a proper monitor to hear himself. All in all, he did OK under the circumstances.

Lott's Bandana
12/3/2007, 01:23 PM
Thank goodness for those who bang through it on time and in a respectful manner, ala Huey Lewis and the news 1988 world series.

That was good. No YouTube tho...they sell the performance as part of a video album on Amazon.com.

tbl
12/3/2007, 01:46 PM
I think it was the Fiesta Bowl last year where they had one of the armed forces choirs sing with a band and it was AWESOME. To me, that's the only way to do it. A soloist singing the anthem is going to give you ego induced, grandstanding crap 99.5% of the time. The only good soloists I can recall have been opera or classically trained singers. All the pop, country, and ESPECIALLY r&b artists practically rape it.

bluedogok
12/3/2007, 07:12 PM
Nothing could be worse than that guy. I'm pretty sure he was drunk.

And with respect to the guy in San Antonio - yes, he did try to soul the thing up too much. However, in fairness, the mic wasn't even working when he started, when the sound did come on it was all screwed up, and he clearly didn't have a proper monitor to hear himself. All in all, he did OK under the circumstances.
I saw him kind of walking back and forth while doing it, seemed like he was trying to find a good spot to monitor himself but in that building I guess there wasn't one.