PDA

View Full Version : How the Coaches voted!

Whet
12/3/2007, 09:27 AM
We can have some fun with this stuff - do you think some of these coaches even knew OU beat MU?

Here is a little info from this weeks Coaches Poll. I have listed the Coach , where he ranks OU and Mizzou. I have included the Big XII coaches at the bottom:
The first number is OU, the second is Mizzou
Mike Bellotti: 8 5
Tommy Bowden 10 6
Bobby Bowden 7 5
Howard Smells-like-booze-n-burgers 7 4
Steve Spurrier 1 9

Now, the Big XII
Art Briles* 2 3
Mack Brown 3 8
Bill Callahan 2 8
Dennis Franchione 6 7
Dan Hawkins 2 5
Mike Leach 4 6
Bob Stoops 1 3

*new Baylor coach....
For the complete list, go here (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/coaches_fb_poll_2007/flash.htm)

XingTheRubicon
12/3/2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks, Dennis. Enjoy pouring tea at Grandy's.

cheezyq
12/3/2007, 09:38 AM
I understand why ***************, Belotti, and Spurrier (nice to have this guy on our side) voted OU where they did, but what's up with the hate from the Bowdens? Are they still mad from OU/FSU in 2000 and 1980? Any voter that puts MU ahead of us should be automatically disqualified from the poll.

tbl
12/3/2007, 09:39 AM
Gotta love the old ball coach...

tbl
12/3/2007, 09:41 AM
I understand why ***************, Belotti, and Spurrier (nice to have this guy on our side) voted OU where they did, but what's up with the hate from the Bowdens? Are they still mad from OU/FSU in 2000 and 1980? Any voter that puts MU ahead of us should be automatically disqualified from the poll.

Not only coaches, but any AP or Harris voter should be as well. To rank a team higher than an opponent that has whipped them twice is inexcusable, especially when they have the same record. I can understand how a computer would screw up, but not a human that is supposed to know football.

tbl
12/3/2007, 09:45 AM
Stoops has LSU at 6th. :D

MojoRisen
12/3/2007, 09:47 AM
It shows you that a play off is indeed needed- We beat them twice and have the same record and we are ranked lower - that is a travesty.

The only way to truely settle things is on the field otherwise you just get lucky to have maybe the two best teams in the Championship 2 out of 4 years or so -

SoonerBOI
12/3/2007, 09:50 AM
We never had a chance. Bellotti (#8), the Bowdens(10, and 7), B. Davis and Fran had us at #6 and Petersen #7.

Partial Qualifier
12/3/2007, 09:53 AM
It shows you that a play off is indeed needed- We beat them twice and have the same record and we are ranked lower - that is a travesty.

The only way to truely settle things is on the field otherwise you just get lucky to have maybe the two best teams in the Championship 2 out of 4 years or so -

spot on.. years like this prove, you can't count on the humans OR the computers getting it right

DrZaius
12/3/2007, 09:54 AM
It just goes to show that Coaches should not be allowed to vote on anything! Including lunch.

boomersooner28
12/3/2007, 09:55 AM
Here's my new question. The BCS was put in place to put the 2 best teams in the MNC game, right? How is it any better than the old system? In the old system we would get better games this year, then after the games determine a champion. The BCS is no better than the old way, imo.

A D Peterson28
12/3/2007, 09:55 AM
They need to throw out the vote of anyone that goes outside the average by a fixed weight. That would put the human factor in check, unless there's a massive conspiracy. Then send that person a nice e-mail that their vote wasn't counted because they are whacked in the head.

stoopified
12/3/2007, 10:03 AM
They need to throw out the vote of anyone that goes outside the average by a fixed weight. That would put the human factor in check, unless there's a massive conspiracy. Then send that person a nice e-mail that their vote wasn't counted because they are whacked in the head.
I like it.

SoonerMom2
12/3/2007, 10:04 AM
Some of you still bragging about Leach? Callahan was better to us along with Briles and Hawkins. Doesn't say much for the rest. As for the Bowden's, hope all their teams lose big ditto Oregon.

Love Spurrier!

OklahomaTuba
12/3/2007, 10:07 AM
Damn, this is a great way to pick a champion.

Why would we ever want to decide a champion on the field when we can have a bunch of coaches voting!

Desert Sapper
12/3/2007, 10:08 AM
The polls are way too politicized and the computers are too nerdy.

boomersooner28
12/3/2007, 10:15 AM
I think after a couple years ago when the cpu's loved OU so much all of the nerds got together and put a "special" -10 points automatically for OU into their cpu rankings....just cause.

MamaMia
12/3/2007, 10:33 AM
This is but a hint of what the coaches have been doing to us all year long.

yermom
12/3/2007, 10:46 AM
I think after a couple years ago when the cpu's loved OU so much all of the nerds got together and put a "special" -10 points automatically for OU into their cpu rankings....just cause.

or OU could have played some OOC games with teams that happened to have ****ty records

North Texas and Utah State couldn't add their wins together to get bowl eligible

still, i don't have a clue why someone could honestly vote that way without trying to screw us.

if i was Bob, i'd save this and just leave some teams off his ballot next year and vote for Arizona and North Texas, etc...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2007, 10:50 AM
one funny thing about spurrier is that he votes duke 25th in the 1st coaches poll every year and keeps them there until they lose their first game..which is usually the first week

jwlynn64
12/3/2007, 10:52 AM

I uncovered the Bowden hate first! ;)

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104395

Jewstin
12/3/2007, 10:55 AM
Wow. Holy crap. Can't say I'm shocked, though. These dildoes have their own personal bias in every regard.

The Maestro
12/3/2007, 10:56 AM
I've seen Prom King and Queen votes that were less biased.

VMG
12/3/2007, 11:14 AM
I noticed that Bob doesn't even have BSU on the board while Petersen has us at 7...

...Hmmm.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/3/2007, 11:23 AM
Some of you still bragging about Leach? Callahan was better to us along with Briles and Hawkins. Doesn't say much for the rest. As for the Bowden's, hope all their teams lose big ditto Oregon.

Love Spurrier!

The team that Leach saw wasn't all that great.

OK2U
12/3/2007, 11:46 AM
Steve Spurrier has a wicked boomer sooner ringtone. Anyone know where i can get one?

Lott's Bandana
12/3/2007, 12:49 PM
Admission:

When I have nothing else to do and I click on those stoopid "Fan Polls", I always list my votes like this:

1. OU
2. North Texas
3. Miami
4. Utah State
5. FIU
6. Baylor
7. UTEP
8. San Jose St.
9. etc, etc....

Know where I'm going with this? No LSU, tOSU, etc...keeps their totals down.

The coach's asinine appearing votes are a deliberate and calculated attempt to influence the BCS Champ Game by holding OU down and elevating their own preferred team. Coaches vote inter-conference (Bowden's boost Va Tech) and grudge (Bellotti). Keeping OU farther down in their votes create an aggregate 'false' reduction of our poll position and thereby contributed to OU not getting a sniff at the MNC game.

Frankly, Bob's vote of LSU 6th is simply his way of trying to elevate his own team.

In most cases, it isn't about just money. After all, the ACC gets a BCS bowl anyway so the Bowden's vote doesn't get FSU and Clemson any more cash than they otherwise would get...however, it does elevate the "prestige" of a conference to have (again Va Tech as an example) a team as high as possible in the standings. It is used as a recruiting tool to convince HS players to come to play in a marquee conference.

The fact is, the coaches have the opportunity to manipulate the system and they take advantage of that opportunity. Do you blame them?

KC//CRIMSON
12/3/2007, 12:58 PM
Franchione and Callahan don't even have jobs and they can still vote?

Scott D
12/3/2007, 01:07 PM
I'm pretty sure the game was after both Bobby Bowden's bedtime. I'm surprised some of you aren't hating on Kragthorpe for voting OU as low as Bellotti did.

oupride
12/3/2007, 01:28 PM
thanks

AverageJoe
12/3/2007, 02:00 PM
Current Coaches have no time for this at ALL. Should get rid of this poll. It should be the AP and the Harris poll for the BCS rankings, half and computers the other half and re-consider margin of victory to a certain point. If you beat a top 25 team by at least 10 points you get some extra credit in the computers. You get no credit for any points beyond that. That would not encourage running up the score. All strength of schedule raings are computed via the current win loss record of the teams you played, no history or what they did the year before. DIV-1A teams are no longer allowed to Play Div-1AA teams AT ALL.

This is just to figure the TOP 4 after the Bowls. All Bowls END on New years day then you have a 4 team playoff. Would not interfere anymore with school than it has the entire fall semester and would end before the NFL.

Now what is wrng with that. Why would the College presidents have ay problem with that. The rating would be HUGE and the MONEY would be unreal. In the end that is ALL the care about anyway. National title controversy never goes beyond the top 4 teams especially after bowl games are played. I undersrand why they want to keep the bowls, I agree, I love them. Go back to the top four BCS bowls, get rid of the 5th and add three games after ALL bowls are played. It would make almost everyone happy except for Les Miles but nothig makes that blowhard happy....

Also ND and al other Indeps. are required to join a conference or they will not have any voice in the decisions made by the newly formed Commisioner of College Football whih is NOT part of the NCAA and does not report to the NCAA is hired by the Commissioners of every Div 1A conference not just the so called BIG conferences.

AJ

r5TPsooner
12/3/2007, 02:05 PM
I just became a big Mike Leach and Fran hater.

r5TPsooner
12/3/2007, 02:11 PM
I'm pretty sure the game was after both Bobby Bowden's bedtime. I'm surprised some of you aren't hating on Kragthorpe for voting OU as low as Bellotti did.

He's a jackoff too and jealous of OU.

sshusker
12/3/2007, 02:22 PM
I'm happy that BC's last vote as Nebraska's coach was to vote OU #2. OU could have easily been #1. I don't know who is playing any better right now. Coaches shouldn't be voting with their feelings but obviously alot of them do...

jwlynn64
12/3/2007, 02:25 PM
I just became a big Mike Leach and Fran hater.

Fran, yes. He's just a douchbag.

Leach, no. Looks like he voted what he thought. Looks like he mainly voted record but he took a twist with Kansas and Georgia. He doesn't have to be a Big XII homer.

jwlynn64
12/3/2007, 02:26 PM
I'm happy that BC's last vote as Nebraska's coach was to vote OU #2. OU could have easily been #1. I don't know who is playing any better right now. Coaches shouldn't be voting with their feelings but obviously alot of them do...

Surprised me quite a bit. Maybe he just needed a dose of reality to come back down to earth.

Lott's Bandana
12/3/2007, 02:30 PM
Retiring Sonny Lubick seems to have uncanny foresight.

tulsaoilerfan
12/3/2007, 04:54 PM
I saw this list in the paper today and can't say i was surprised; i bet that a lot of these coaches don't even do the vote themselves, and you can damn well bet that grudges and agendas come into play

Scott D
12/3/2007, 04:56 PM
Actually this is why either it needs to be public every week, or never public including the final week.

NYC Poke
12/3/2007, 05:16 PM
With the number of axes to grind among this bunch, you could outfit a medieval army. These polls would be hilarious if there wasn't so much money at stake.

The Maestro
12/3/2007, 05:18 PM
Well, the fact Lester got on FOX last night and stated, "I want to thank the voters..." tells you what you need to know. Politics and sports...not a good marriage.