PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who went to the Fiesta Bowl last year...

sooner KB
12/3/2007, 12:10 AM
Is it easy to find tickets around the stadium before the game? If so, how much were they going for?

Anything else I should know about the game?

cvsooner
12/3/2007, 12:14 AM
Getting out of the parking lot is a nightmare.

OUsooner1
12/3/2007, 12:23 AM
I had an extra last year and couldn't get rid of it for $50, lower level too nonetheless.

sooner59
12/3/2007, 12:27 AM
I saw quite a few scalpers. It didnt look too hard to find one. I didnt even have a hard time getting out of the parking lot. Of course, I high-tailed it out as soon as I saw the statue of liberty play. I wanted to beat the crowd.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/3/2007, 12:41 AM
The stadium is in BFE.

cvsooner
12/3/2007, 01:38 AM
Also, you have to buy a $30 parking pass in advance or you can't park anywhere within a couple of miles.

OK2U
12/3/2007, 02:04 AM
I was too distracted by the putrid blue and orange sea of people to notice.

Ever
12/3/2007, 02:29 AM
There is an awesome bar/grill north of the stadium (just south of the AMC theater.) Great selection of beers (yard glasses for most brews), good pizza, and plenty of TVs to watch all the games. That whole area is probably a very fun place to ring in 2008. They even split the bar in two at one point with Boise fans on one end and Sooners on the other.

There's a Moe's near there, too.

Sooner_Havok
12/3/2007, 02:35 AM
Said this some where else, I spent $300 on two tickets through OUr athletic program last year as a student, got to Glendale, two of the other people I went with paid $100 for tickets two sections away from mine (both sections sucked) in the parking lot an hour before kickoff.

yermom
12/3/2007, 03:20 AM
might have been an issue if ASU got in, with WV this shouldn't be too bad at all. i don't remember exactly what we paid, but it was less than face

there wasn't that much of an issue with parking, we just paid the $20-$30 and parked outside the stadium

UTsucks
12/3/2007, 05:54 AM
Any pre game party you can attend? What Hotels are people staying at? Tailgating?

AzOU
12/3/2007, 07:02 AM
The area around the stadium has grown since last year (they're trying to open as many restaurants and bars as possible before the superbowl being held there in february). Yardhouse, Gordon Biersch, and Fox Sports Grill are all within walking distance. They also just opened a Renaissance Hotel right there, as well.

As far as tailgating and pre-game parties, I'm sure more info will become available at the fiesta bowl's web site, as well as at http://www.westgateaz.com/.

AzOU
12/3/2007, 08:05 AM
Forgot to add.... there's also now a Margaritaville there at Westgate.

And if you're looking for more of a "resort" experience but don't wanna drive all the way to Scottsdale or Tempe, might want to check out availability at the Wigwam Resort. About 10 minutes from stadium and very "authentic" Arizona.

Huskernsooner71
12/3/2007, 09:44 AM
Is it easy to find tickets around the stadium before the game? If so, how much were they going for?

Anything else I should know about the game?

Buddies I went with bought 2 tickets on the 50 yard line 20 rows up for 90$ apiece right before the game. There were lots of scalpers there, on their crazy bikes :)

BoonesFarmSooner
12/3/2007, 09:49 AM
You'll be able to find tickets easy! Last year, we bought them under face value and that was with a ton of Boise fans there. WVU probably won't travel all that well...

Soonermagik
12/3/2007, 09:52 AM
If we were playing Arizona State I would say forget about it. However, I doubt West Virginia will travel as well as other big name schools. I bet you could find some tickets, but that is a hell of a gamble IMO.

instigator
12/3/2007, 09:54 AM
I picked up some good lower bowl tickets for $50 each last year.

virginiasooner
12/3/2007, 09:58 AM
This isn't about tickets, but getting into the stadium: if your camera has a detachable lens, LEAVE IT AT HOME. You will be told to take it back to your car. I abandoned my Nikon with a telephoto lens with some strangers out in the parking lot (whom I will forever be in their debt) and got my camera back after the game. Take your digital camera, or disposable cameras. I will forever be cheesed off at Fiesta Bowl officials, cuz I don't a have photo of Adrian making his final college touchdown.

OUsooner1
12/3/2007, 10:41 AM
I picked up some good lower bowl tickets for $50 each last year.
Well why didn't you buy from me?? Couldn't get rid of mine :D

texashater#1
12/3/2007, 10:57 AM
Last year I went on a tour package with Billy and Jason and we got chartered to the stadium. However getting out of the stadium was a pain. I saw scalpers out in front so it shouldn't be to hard to get a ticket

sooneronloan
12/3/2007, 11:21 AM
bought mine late on ebay for 20 bucks for pair top and corner of end zone.

bonkuba
12/3/2007, 11:24 AM
The stadium is in BFE.

The place is in little Mehico.....I keeed a little but make sure you dont run out of gas or anything around there after the game.:D

We are staying in a KOA about 20 miles away this year.

Anyone else going to be taking the RV??????

Sean

OK2U
12/3/2007, 11:57 AM
Last year I went on a tour package with Billy and Jason and we got chartered to the stadium. However getting out of the stadium was a pain. I saw scalpers out in front so it shouldn't be to hard to get a ticket

That was the longest, quietest bus ride of my life until someone in the back of the bus shouted, "The only thing the prevent defense does is prevent us from winning!"

I about died laughing.

Sooner FLiP
12/5/2007, 10:10 AM
so where do you buy these parking passes for $30 (mentioned in an earlier post)? you cant just get there extremely early and pay for parking?

47straight
12/5/2007, 10:17 AM
so where do you buy these parking passes for $30 (mentioned in an earlier post)? you cant just get there extremely early and pay for parking?

AFAI can remember, the 30 buck passes were for closer in. We paid upon entrance and it was just further out. Can't remember how much.

I hate it when stadiums are built in BFE for the purposes of having parking, then they build huge lots and charge you anyway.

OklaPony
12/5/2007, 10:28 AM
http://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=FB&linkID=fiesta&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

StoopTroup
12/5/2007, 10:52 AM
The Wigwam...not bad...

Only $209 - $499 per night.

WIGWAM (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury/search/ratelist.html?links=all&type=null&amenityType=&fromPR=PR&propertyID=1301&roomOccupancyTotal=02&bn=luxury&rcc=&rac=&activityType1=NON&activityType2=&stateProvince=&country=&inputDate=&arrDate=&depDate=&lenOfStay=01&dtArr=&dtDep=&theBrand=lx&fromSearch=11XX&goToRooms=no&bid=lx&maximumReservationRooms=9&hcount=0&okRate=N&LaunchLocation=&arrivalDateMonth=12&arrivalDateDay=31&arrivalDateYear=2007&lengthOfStay=03&departureDateMonth=1&departureDateDay=3&departureDateYear=2008&numberOfRooms=01&numberOfAdults=02&smokingPreference=NON&roomBedCode=2Q&promotionCode=&ratePlanName=FBFRNZ&corporateAccountNumber=&rcdi=L&iATANumber=&nRcdi=B&arrivalDate=2007-12-31&departureDate=2008-01-03&nRooms=1&nAdults=1&rPlan=FBFRNZ&rBedCode=No+Bed+Preference&rWheelChair=0&requestedChainCode=LC&requestedAffiliationCode=LC&continuePreRateNAI.x=21&continuePreRateNAI.y=9)

I wonder if Matt Leinhart will come in and read you a bedtime story?

sooner59
12/5/2007, 11:11 AM
We stayed at Point Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort. It was up in the cliffs above Phoenix. There was a really nice restaurant at the top ($$$) that we ate at and overlooked the mountains and all of the Phoenix area, very nice. There was a golf course, tennis courts, spa/massage, 7 pools and hots tubs, a hiking trail, etc. Every room was a suite with separate living area and balcony. It only cost us $200 per night. It was nice, but kind of out of the way.

MichiganSooner
12/5/2007, 11:26 AM
Will fly in and stay near the airport. How do I get from airport to stadium?
Besides rent a car. Does Phoenix have a shuttle bus system set up like Kansas City did for Big 12 champ games to get people from a shopping center to the stadium?

cvsooner
12/5/2007, 01:00 PM
Phoenix is building a light-rail system but unfortunately it won't be at the stadium until 2017.

In the meantime, check out http://www.valleymetro.org/Bus/. (http://www.valleymetro.org/Bus/) for bus schedules. I don't recommend it. It's like a two and a half hour ride. I'm not sure there's a shuttle system, or not.

Personally, I'm staying at Embassy Suites on 44th Street near the airport. They have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and I booked a suite with breakfast for $99 on Jan. 2 (flying in Jan. 2, leaving Jan. 3). Embassy Suites is part of the Hilton chain. Renting a car and paying for parking at the stadium is another $100 ($30 bucks for the parking pass and the rental and gas.

For more info on the stadium, policies and parking and hotels, visit http://www.universityofphoenixstadium.com/subcontent.aspx?SecID=91

And then there's the Fiesta Bowl site, which has a lot of helpful info, too. www.fiestabowl.org (http://www.fiestabowl.org)

MichiganSooner
12/5/2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the information cvsooner.

Huskernsooner71
12/5/2007, 07:05 PM
I bought my parking pass here!

http://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=FB&linkID=fiesta&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

Outopia
12/6/2007, 12:15 AM
You can also buy a parking pass in "Olde Towne" area of Scottsdale for $20.00 (that's what they were last year there). The home office for the two bowl games is there. If you can't latch onto one before you get here, buy one there, because if you wait till you get to the game the parking lines are long to buy one. If you have one already, you just drive around the line and park. "Olde Towne" Scottsdale is very nice and a great place to visit, even if it is kind of a tourist trap. It is very popular. It has alot of nice shopping and eating establishments. I live in North Scottsdale and try to stay out of there, but people who visit us are drawn to it like moths to a flame. It is first class and very safe though. I've taken customers there to eat some. It's not real far from Tempe, so it would be a great place to visit the night of Dec 31rst, then scoot down Scottsdale Road South to the New Years Celebration in Tempe by the ASU campus. The Stadium is right by the 101, which is the North Loop around the North Valley Metro area. They have all day parties by the stadium before the game. For about $50.00 bucks a head you can eat and drink and watch other bowl games on big screens. The food is not bad and you eat all you want, then drink youself silly before the game. They have bars inside the Stadium too. Do not stay in Tempe. Let the aggies have that part of town, because it is about 45 miles from the New Stadium. If you stay in any of the resorts in PHX or Scottsdale you will be about 30-40 minutes from the Fiesta Bowl. These are all pretty much first class places to stay. Tourism and golf are a huge industry here in the Winter. The weather was great last year, and should be this year too. It usually is. Lots of scalpers around the stadium last year.