PDA

View Full Version : Herbstreit Should Have No Credibility After This Season

FaninAma
12/2/2007, 11:38 PM
I used to like the guy but it is very obvious that he is a schill and huge homer for OSU and the sorry Big 10 conference.

KHS Sooner
12/2/2007, 11:40 PM
And he started the Les Miles to Michigan Rumor with his great "sources" give me a break.

colleyvillesooner
12/2/2007, 11:42 PM
He should he reprimanded by the ESPN if Les stays at LSU. To lead off gameday proclaiming you have a source "very" close to the situation and the he will be name the coach at Michgan, just to have LSU hold a presser with Les to say he's staying looks very bad.

Then he tried to cover it up saying during our game that after the story broke LSU must have snuck in a long term deal to Les and beat Michigan to the punch was dumb as well. Maybe your "source" was just full of ****.

KHS Sooner
12/2/2007, 11:45 PM
He should he reprimanded by the ESPN if Les stays at LSU. To lead off gameday proclaiming you have a source "very" close to the situation and the he will be name the coach at Michgan, just to have LSU hold a presser with Les to say he's staying looks very bad.

Then he tried to cover it up saying during our game that after the story broke LSU must have snuck in a long term deal to Les and beat Michigan to the punch was dumb as well. Maybe your "source" was just full of ****.

Spek

OK2LA
12/2/2007, 11:57 PM

He likely did get reprimanded by his employer, and told him to get his arse on t.v and do some spin control. They had that ticker going all day Friday & Saturday that it was pretty much a done deal.

I'd say that the source that gave him the information probably got an ear full from Kirky. He pretty much embarassed himself - putting that out there like that. He said "Congratulations" to Les Miles, so I be that Miles probably put a call into ESPN and chewed some *** on that one.

Ever
12/3/2007, 12:04 AM
Heh - After that announcement all of the ticker news came with "X reporter reports that...."

OU-HSV
12/3/2007, 12:16 AM
.... He said "Congratulations" to Les Miles, so I be that Miles probably put a call into ESPN and chewed some *** on that one.
Yeah and he probably let them know something along these lines
"I'm the head coach of this damn strong football team" :D

pott_2
12/3/2007, 12:25 AM
I think that he is an even bigger SUCk homer. All he did last week was talk about the barely top 10 trojan were the best team in the nation and promote the rose bowl.

aurorasooner
12/3/2007, 12:54 AM
Detroit Free Press
Deal was never done

Miles said Friday that he hadn't given much thought to Michigan.

"I've probably spent 15 minutes allowing a personal thought along those lines," he told reporters.

This was a hilarious (if somewhat understandable) lie. Miles probably said it so that his team could focus on Saturday's SEC title game against Tennessee. But he had been in contact with Michigan through back channels for weeks, the Free Press learned through multiple people in the U-M and Miles camps. Through intermediaries, Miles' representatives and Michigan were hammering out the terms of an agreement.

Miles knew Michigan was prepared to offer a five-year deal. He knew how much money Michigan was prepared to offer. He was fine with it.

But the key word here is "prepared." Despite what you may have heard or read, this was never a done deal.

Never.

And Miles knew it.

Bill Martin is operating the same way he operated when he hired basketball coach John Beilein last spring. In a sense, it is the exact opposite of how the rest of us get jobs. Martin wants to hammer out the contract details first, then conduct the interview. That way, there is no chance of money killing the deal.

Martin was not going to hire a coach without an extended one-on-one interview, and he couldn't conduct that until after Saturday's SEC title game.

There was another factor: Lloyd Carr did not want Miles to get the Michigan job. Martin knew it, and so did Miles. Carr was not the only influential person at U-M who felt that way. Others had voiced reservations about whether Miles was the right fit. This only added to Martin's desire for a one-on-one interview.

Ultimately, the Martin-Miles interview probably would have been fine. And, though there was growing resistance to a Miles hiring, the anti-Miles crowd still faced an uphill battle to president Mary Sue Coleman to stop this.

But Friday, LSU preemptively offered Miles more years and more money than he would get from Michigan.

Now Miles was stuck. He wanted to coach LSU to the SEC title, officially interview with Martin and accept the Michigan job. As he said Friday, "We will get beyond this game, and we will see what happens."

LSU would not let him get beyond that game.

From all indications, Miles was willing to take less money from Michigan. He was fine with a shorter contract. He would have liked a larger pool of cash to hire assistants, but I don't think that would have scuttled the deal, either.

He just needed to know the Michigan job was his. And Michigan couldn't make that promise.

When ESPN prematurely reported Saturday morning that Michigan was expected to hire Miles, that added to the pressure. So Miles announced he would stay.

One interesting side note: Miles' big fear -- that Carr would kill his candidacy -- was apparently never realized. But the possibility of it helped convince Miles to stay.

OK2LA
12/3/2007, 01:33 AM
Detroit Free Press

Good article. Thanks for posting. Sounds legitimate.

Curly Bill
12/3/2007, 01:39 AM
Why would anyone think these talking-heads had credibility to start with? They are not jounalist in the true sense, not that I trust them either, they are merely paid opinion-givers. Take them for what they are...but if you want news then go to Katie Couric...haha, I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

KaiserSooner
12/3/2007, 01:42 AM
I was telling a friend tonight that Herbstreit is great, but loses all sense of reason (and thus credibility) when it comes to his Buckeyes.

SicEmBaylor
12/3/2007, 01:42 AM
Ole Stutters 'n Spits was sure pimping OU for the National Title game.

critical_phil
12/3/2007, 01:53 AM
i wouldn't say he's lost all credibility.

i do think that he needs to learn how to wipe the ****-eating grin off his face while on the air though.

Crucifax Autumn
12/3/2007, 03:19 AM
He'll have to quit eating **** first!

KantoSooner
12/3/2007, 03:31 AM
He never had any to lose.

TUSooner
12/3/2007, 09:22 AM
The more confidently somebody touts the OhSU-LSU BCS match-up as the "right thing" - the more stupider they are.

Rickinjax
12/3/2007, 10:01 AM
Reprimaded?? By ESPN?? Your jokng, right? He's Their golden boy...Aint never gonnna happen. As for being an OSU homer..I dont think so..Lips are attached to Petey butt to firmly for any OSU love. Besides, I'm pretty sure Tressel wont even allow Him on Campus ....lol Now tke care of biz against the Hoopies

virginiasooner
12/3/2007, 10:04 AM
And since his source was TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY WRONG, Herbie should have no problem with telling us who the source was.

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 10:10 AM
If you guys think all the cards are on the table with Les and MU, you are nuts.

Lester played the situation to his advantage and other people got left looking bad.

badger
12/3/2007, 10:20 AM
Herbie antics of Saturday to question:

1- Anytime he mentioned Ohio State
2- Anytime he mentioned "Chase Daniel" and "Heisman" together
3- Anytime he mentioned "Lester" and "Meatchicken" together

He was obviously on the Mizzou bandwagon on Saturday, even during the game when he was allegedly a neutral announcer... um, then why are you cheering on their kicker in the second quarter?

Then, it was Chase Daniel's poise this, Chase Daniel's leadership that, and Chase Daniel's Heisman over and over.This is even though he was throwing his head pantie everywhere on the sideline, yelling at his receivers, and sitting on a jug of Gatorade like it was a toilet. Yeah, hey Chase? You do realize that former Heisman winners vote on this thing, right? Do you think they want you in their elite group/fraternity thingy now? Uggggh.

Now, the whole Meatchicken thing. Lester eats Meatchicken and we all know it. Lester has the arrogance of one who eats tigah bait, but let's face it, he's a meatchicken man. Herbie and his "sources" decide he must be going to eat more meatchicken.

Well... we had all jumped to that conclusion here, too, as did many message boards across the country. Thus, Herbie takes the initiative to make THE story he breaks to everyone (I'm sure we all saw the ticker "ESPN's Kirk Herbuckeye reports Leslie to Mishegun"). Oh, I'm soooo impressed. We all heard that last week on soonerfans.com, idiot.

Then... Lester acts like Lester, so we think. He clears up the rumors in his cocky voice, to reassure his cocky players and cocky fans that they all have a reason to be cocky.

Now... who are we to believe at this point? We know we can't believe anything The Molester says, after the way he left Stunned Aggie hanging. We know, as college football fans, that Buckeyes hate Wolverines and Herbie is a Buckeye.

This is something that still can't be decided, until the contract is signed at LSU and released to the public. We need more proof than the word of a proven liar of a coach and Herbie the Homer.

On that note... did you notice that the Buckeyes are playing LSU in the championship? You don't think Herb saw that coming if LSU beat Tennessee, did you? Wouldn't it be the perfect opportunity to distract LSU enough so that even Fulmer could beat them? Phil Fulmer, the certified Volunteer idiot?

Next breaking story from Herbie: Why LSU's fanbase has the unfair ability to buy 90 percent of all championship tickets in the Superdome... :rolleyes:

XingTheRubicon
12/3/2007, 10:21 AM
Miles is a bald faced liar (only 15 minutes of thought re: Mich)

Herbstreit was just given bad info, live and learn.

I have an incredibly difficult time giving a **** about what job this retard is going to take. Just wait until Lester drools down his shirt while he attempts to sign his name to a contract marked "blue" or "purple" so he won't get confused, and THEN report it.

Fugue
12/3/2007, 10:40 AM
good work badger

"head pantie" = spek :D

The Maestro
12/3/2007, 10:48 AM
The person who loved Herbie's blunder most?

Jesse Palmer. His first year on ESPN as an analyst was superb. He's got the pretty boy thing working, but he also had good insight, well spoken and has a future on the network. I'd rate him as the best college football studio analyst they had all season long.

Partial Qualifier
12/3/2007, 10:55 AM
reading between the lines, Lester definitely left himself some wriggle room.

"I'll be coaching LSU next year" does not equal "I'll be coaching LSU next season"

also, "me and my spokesperson have had no direct contact with Michigan officials" (but my agent is a different story)

Desert Sapper
12/3/2007, 11:25 AM

Lester played the situation to his advantage and other people got left looking bad.

I agree. Lester is a ******. He is laughing all the way to the bank now.

badger
12/3/2007, 01:13 PM
good work badger

"head pantie" = spek :D
I will defer credit to this term to NP. However, whatever you athletes call it, what is it, a "skull cap" ??? Anyways, don't fool yourselves, you're wearing a pantie on your head, you pantie head.

Now maybe, you don't want to tell Chase Daniels this to his face, his roided up, puffy baby face with receding hairline face. However, since he is so keen to getting into Lofton's face, perhaps we should defer this one to "The Man" himself.

Lofton: You wanna say something, pantie head?

You see, Chase Daniel has a new nickname already, and it isn't "Heisman."

Scott D
12/3/2007, 02:59 PM
I will defer credit to this term to NP. However, whatever you athletes call it, what is it, a "skull cap" ??? Anyways, don't fool yourselves, you're wearing a pantie on your head, you pantie head.

Now maybe, you don't want to tell Chase Daniels this to his face, his roided up, puffy baby face with receding hairline face. However, since he is so keen to getting into Lofton's face, perhaps we should defer this one to "The Man" himself.

Lofton: You wanna say something, pantie head?

You see, Chase Daniel has a new nickname already, and it isn't "Heisman."

no, it's "Fatone Clone" :)

JohnnyMack
12/3/2007, 03:09 PM
Herbstreit has long been an OU/Bob Stoops supporter. I think it's funny some of you think otherwise.

Maybe ESPN/ABC had an agenda that was to be pushed, like Mizzou coming out of nowhere and riding golden boy Chase to the title game and the Heisman Trophy ceremony that made for better TV than, "here goes OU kicking the **** out of someone again".

MamaMia
12/3/2007, 03:26 PM
"Head pantie?" speks
badger, you are absolutely hilarious. :D

Animal Mother
12/3/2007, 03:34 PM
Herbstreit has long been an OU/Bob Stoops supporter. I think it's funny some of you think otherwise.

Maybe ESPN/ABC had an agenda that was to be pushed, like Mizzou coming out of nowhere and riding golden boy Chase to the title game and the Heisman Trophy ceremony that made for better TV than, "here goes OU kicking the **** out of someone again".

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That just made me laugh right out loud!!!

As San Antonio Sooner said, Les "than a double digit I.Q." isn't done having fun just yet.
I called the lid something else Saturday night but "head pantie" trumps it BIG TIME!!!!

The Maestro
12/3/2007, 03:41 PM
Herbstreit has long been an OU/Bob Stoops supporter.

My take on that is that Herbie was or is big buds with Mike Stoops and that is why he was on the OU bandwagon when Mike was here. It has seemed to slip some of late, which is fine by me...we don't need pimping in the media...but I just think Herbie's love affair with OU was more Mike related than Bob. Bob doesn't seem to have buddies in the media.

frankensooner
12/3/2007, 04:18 PM
Had Mizzou won, I think old Kirkie had a diamond ring and was ready to propose to Chase.

badger
12/3/2007, 08:00 PM
Had Mizzou won, I think old Kirkie had a diamond ring and was ready to propose to Chase.
nah, he was hoping Chase and Mizz would win so they would play his Buckeyes.

Echoes
12/3/2007, 08:12 PM
I like Herby. I know I'm the only one in this thread :) But still. I totally agree though, the LSU thing made him look horrible.

GoTigers
12/3/2007, 08:17 PM
And since his source was TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY WRONG, Herbie should have no problem with telling us who the source was.
Hell. No.

If he has any shred of journalistic integrity, this source will remain unnamed. If a source wants to be anonymous, that person had better be anonymous.

Believe me here, I root for journalism U

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 08:20 PM
I like Herby. I know I'm the only one in this thread :) But still. I totally agree though, the LSU thing made him look horrible.
if "herby" = "anybody" then you've summed up this board.

There isn't a writer, commentator, network, blog, poll, computer, or liked by most of the posters on this site.

That also goes for mexican restaurant, burger joint, and model/make of vehicle.

badger
12/3/2007, 08:23 PM
Hell. No.

If he has any shred of journalistic integrity, this source will remain unnamed. If a source wants to be anonymous, that person had better be anonymous.

Believe me here, I root for journalism U
I'm sorry, but this thread is too far gone to be discussing Herbie anymore.
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7587/headpantiedt9.jpg
:D:D:D

And btw, I think the BCS screwed you guys. Obviously we here like seeing former OU assistants do well, but we also like to see the integrity of the system stay intact.

Stitch Face
12/3/2007, 09:41 PM
"here goes OU kicking the **** out of someone again"

That should be engraved on Memorial Stadium in old-timey lettering

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2007, 09:56 PM
The only thing that bothered me going down the stretch of the game Saturday night was him immediately plugging LSU for the championship game. Using the Big 12 Champ game as a platform to push the tOSU-LSU game to whoever watching was a little much for me, especially since the team on the field was waxing the number 1 team in the country. Think OU and USC should both have been included in his 5 minute disertation.

Could he have pushed LSU hard trying to make up for the mess he created that day? His definitive approach to the NC game as tOSU-LSU being the "right thing" just seemed to be a little too much for me.

Do I like Herbie? Don't know him but he seems decent.

soonerboomer93
12/3/2007, 10:09 PM

JM is right. ESPN/ABC pushes what will garner the most interest and capitivate the audience. Mizzou was in a position no one expected. It wasn't a suprise they won the north, it was a suprise they were BCS #1. They're not seen anywhere near the same stage as us on the national and historical level. What are they supposed to promote? Look here's OU going for it's 5th Big 12 championship under Bob Stoops, watch them dominate another opponent from the north again? ****, people watched LSU/Tenn because they wanted to see LSU lose (well, i'm sure the Bama fans were hoping for earthquake).

ictsooner7
12/3/2007, 11:05 PM
Herbstreit lost all credibility with me when he justified OU being out of the BCS game because our defense didn't play well on the road against unranked T-tech. He conveniently forgot his tOSU lost at home to unranked Illinois. He needs to be talked to by espn and not pimp osu so hard in the future. I for one a very disapointed with the new b12 commish when he was asked who should be in the bcs title game and he didnt say THE WINNER OF THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnnyMack
12/3/2007, 11:50 PM
(well, i'm sure the Bama fans were hoping for earthquake).

That's good stuff. :D

bluedogok
12/4/2007, 12:37 AM

Lester played the situation to his advantage and other people got left looking bad.I will believe that Les stays at LSU when Michigan introduces a different head coach at a press conference.

I was talking to our resident Michigan guy today (he was in Vegas last week) and he had heard there were some agent talks last week and that was about it. He got a big laugh out of that, Herbie thinking he has some "inside info" at MU. I think it may have been someone setting him up with some bad info to see him have an oops moment.

Crucifax Autumn
12/4/2007, 03:14 AM
Like herbqueer had any credibility before this season!

SoonerLB
12/4/2007, 03:31 AM
It will all be forgotten in time.
Well, except for "head pantie", which shall be enshrined in the Hall of Greatness! :)

Ground_Attack
12/4/2007, 07:04 AM
can we get a Chase Head Pantie smilie? that would rock.

Fugue
12/4/2007, 09:23 AM
Herbstreit lost all credibility with me when he justified OU being out of the BCS game because our defense didn't play well on the road against unranked T-tech. He conveniently forgot his tOSU lost at home to unranked Illinois. He needs to be talked to by espn and not pimp osu so hard in the future. I for one a very disapointed with the new b12 commish when he was asked who should be in the bcs title game and he didnt say THE WINNER OF THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't believe that either but with regard to LSU. A week earlier they gave up 300+ yards rushing in a loss at home to an unranked team that every one in the world knew couldn't pass.

tigepilot
12/4/2007, 11:19 AM
I used to repect that guy accepting he had a Big 10 bias... everyone has some bias but this year he was really bad.

Spending half the Big 12 championship game talking about how LSU should be in the NC game without even mentioning OU as though OU wasn't even an otpion is what did it for me. He mentioned some other teams that had an argument but over and over again left OU out of the discussion. I've never heard a media guy diss a team they were covering at that moment so badly. I'm sure that effected some voters. I can only see it as intentional but I don't really understand what the bias toward LSU is unless he thinks tOSU has a better chance against LSU... but that's just corney.

r5TPsooner
12/4/2007, 11:24 AM
Herbstreit has his initials embroidered on his shirt sleeves... nuff said about him.

arcman46
12/4/2007, 11:37 AM
I used to repect that guy accepting he had a Big 10 bias... everyone has some bias but this year he was really bad.

Spending half the Big 12 championship game talking about how LSU should be in the NC game without even mentioning OU as though OU wasn't even an otpion is what did it for me. He mentioned some other teams that had an argument but over and over again left OU out of the discussion. I've never heard a media guy diss a team they were covering at that moment so badly. I'm sure that effected some voters. I can only see it as intentional but I don't really understand what the bias toward LSU is unless he thinks tOSU has a better chance against LSU... but that's just corney.

I've always liked Herbstreet, but his politicing for LSUc in the NCG was over the top and unwarranted. Since a lot of people get their information from ESPN he should not have made the statements he did without talking up all the other options as well. His statement about the way OU's defense played at TT was appropriate, but if we had played the way that we played against Mizzou in all our other games we would have been undefeated, and wouldn't have needed to have this discussion.

Did the BCS get it right? Yes and No. A case can be made for LSUc and tOSU; but you can also make a case for OU, Georgia, KU, USuC, Va-Tech and Hawaii. This was one of those years that the BCS would not get it right regardless.

OUmillenium
12/4/2007, 12:50 PM

Yes, well said.

Hopefully the new guy is better than Weiberg

MojoRisen
12/4/2007, 01:01 PM
Lester took a Counter offer and still has not signed it!