PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 v. Big Least

soonerspudman
12/2/2007, 11:13 PM
Folks, put this game in perspective, this is more than OU v. WV, this is OU carrying the banner for the entire Big 12 against those made-for-media wanna-be's from the east coast. Think of all the years we've had to listen to the Disney heads trying to build east-coast ratings by mercilessly pimping the Big East. Here's the chance to put teams and conferences into their proper place, let's send the Big East packing back to illegitimacy where they belong...

Go Sooners, beat the Mountainqueers.

ouwasp
12/2/2007, 11:21 PM
Well said. Amen, brother!

But, whatever happens will most likley be forgotten by next August and the East coaSt Pimp machiNe will be cranked up once again. Unless WV wins, then it will be on ESPN Classic every weekend.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/2/2007, 11:28 PM
I would like to think Bob can convince the team and the asst coaches to bring their "A" game to this Fiesta Bowl.

MI Sooner
12/2/2007, 11:54 PM
I love how everyone thinks the Big East gets too much run because of the east coast media.

Yeah, you know those media bigwigs, hanging out in Morgantown, Syracuse, Storrs, etc., etc., etc.

West Virginia is probably the only state outside the deep south that has a reputation of being a backwater that is comparable to Oklahoma. I understand the conference has some teams that are fairly close to the Atlantic Ocean, but c'mon.

Yes, Dick Vitale has a hard-on for Duke. Yes, the Yankees are given a ton of attention by ESPN, but Big East football? Complaining about Big East football being overexposed because of East Coast media bias is like someone complaining that Arizona State only gets coverage because of it's proximity to Hollywood studio execs.

SoonerMom2
12/2/2007, 11:59 PM
Have you lived in the East or have family in the East? The only thing they have in football is the Big East and some writers cannot get over it that they lost their best football teams to the ACC and continually are pushing the Big East, but it is a nothing conference after those schools left.

MI Sooner
12/3/2007, 12:05 AM
I guess my point was:

W. Virginia isn't exactly what I think of when I think "East Coast." Yes, it may be what the local sportswriters there cover, but I don't see that it gets a disproportionate share of attention nationally. As for being a nothing conference, I'd say they have several good teams. I've been surprised how well they've faired. I think they're the weakest of the BCS conferences, but definitely well above the best non-BCS conference.

MI Sooner
12/3/2007, 12:07 AM
Oh, and Sagarin has the Big East ranked as the second or third best conference, depending on the method.

EatSchmittOU
12/15/2007, 05:25 AM
I love how everyone thinks the Big East gets too much run because of the east coast media.

Yeah, you know those media bigwigs, hanging out in Morgantown, Syracuse, Storrs, etc., etc., etc.

West Virginia is probably the only state outside the deep south that has a reputation of being a backwater that is comparable to Oklahoma. I understand the conference has some teams that are fairly close to the Atlantic Ocean, but c'mon.

Yes, Dick Vitale has a hard-on for Duke. Yes, the Yankees are given a ton of attention by ESPN, but Big East football? Complaining about Big East football being overexposed because of East Coast media bias is like someone complaining that Arizona State only gets coverage because of it's proximity to Hollywood studio execs.

Haha...THANK YOU. After those first few posts I was just like HUH?? The Big East hardly gets "pimped". We're more like the Ho that gets slapped for trying to get more than 10%.

76soonergrad
12/15/2007, 08:42 AM
Oh, please.

Go back to the beginning of the season. espn kept hyping eastern schools. usf comes to mind. Then the great coming of boston college.

These teams only made it to #2 because of espn hype. Pretenders all.

The big 12 is located in flyover America. These games are played AFTER east coast games and before the "other" hyped games, the west coast. Going into the end of the season, it was all big 12. We had to have our own regional.

OU needs to make a statement vs. WV, but it would be nice for KU to win over VT. The acc is part of the love fest also.

EatSchmittOU
12/15/2007, 04:03 PM
Go back to the beginning of the season. espn kept hyping eastern schools. usf comes to mind. Then the great coming of boston college.

What? How could USF and BC make it to a number 2 ranking based on hype when neither team was ranked in the preseason poll? They got to that ranking by winning games. Beating Auburn on the road and then WVU at home justified USF's spot there. They later proved they didn't belong (along with everyone else) but at that time they absolutely deserved to be there.

85sooners
12/15/2007, 05:19 PM
:D
What? How could USF and BC make it to a number 2 ranking based on hype when neither team was ranked in the preseason poll? They got to that ranking by winning games. Beating Auburn on the road and then WVU at home justified USF's spot there. They later proved they didn't belong (along with everyone else) but at that time they absolutely deserved to be there.:D :D LOL SIDE HURTING!!

SicEmBaylor
12/15/2007, 05:21 PM
I'm getting major league deja vu. Didn't this same thread already happen several years ago?

I made some witty and well timed comment in that old thread.

KantoSooner
12/15/2007, 05:57 PM
While I would agree that several less than stellar Coastal teams get more than their share of pump (the eternal disappointment that is Boston College springs to mind), to lump WVU in the same boat is laughable.

As someone said earlier, the self-same national sports writers who dis Oklahoma consider West Virginia to be right in the same category.

And that's what makes the upcoming game cool: two teams from 'backwaters' are playing on a big stage (if not the biggest, then both of us have only ourselves to blame) while many media darlings sit home.

snp
12/15/2007, 09:49 PM
Have you lived in the East or have family in the East? The only thing they have in football is the Big East and some writers cannot get over it that they lost their best football teams to the ACC and continually are pushing the Big East, but it is a nothing conference after those schools left.

Uh, the NFL is also out there. And the Big East was very good last year.

douxpaysan
12/15/2007, 10:28 PM
I know next to nothing about the Big East. We can't compare teams because they don't play each other frequently enough. Stats are worse than useless. Whatever happened 25 or 30 years ago has no bearing. I am excited about the game...but other than that...I got nuthin'.

sooneron
12/15/2007, 11:14 PM
I live about 35 minutes from Rutgers and ARod sending soup back at a deli gets more print than anything that happens in the Big lEast. So, you're wrong about that. The only issue is that they were kept in the BCS, and by being there they get hype. The Pac 10 was just as hyped in the first few months of this season with the D Dixon/Suc lovefest.
Their year was last year when there were 3-4 VERY SOLID teams. Not so much this year.

CORNholio
12/16/2007, 12:35 AM
I may have my hand in the sand but I was unaware of any bias except for the SEC and any florida team biases. I got the impression that the only reason the big east got any pub this year was because everybody else slipped up.
That being said I hope OU goes out and owns the fiesta bowl so I never have to watch those freaking commercials with freaking potato u pulling their once in a life time game out of their *** again.

proudsoonergal
12/16/2007, 02:02 AM
I may have my hand in the sand but I was unaware of any bias except for the SEC and any florida team biases. I got the impression that the only reason the big east got any pub this year was because everybody else slipped up.
That being said I hope OU goes out and owns the fiesta bowl so I never have to watch those freaking commercials with freaking potato u pulling their once in a life time game out of their *** again.

What was your hand doing in the sand? Inquiring minds want to know.

:pop:

soonerboy_odanorth
12/16/2007, 02:08 AM
*Ahem*

Two small reminders:

1. Fiesta Bowl last year.

2. 1982, when we were arguably a more dominant power than we are today given the current relative "parity", and WVU was far more irrelevant than they are today.

Not sayin', just sayin'...

Crucifax Autumn
12/16/2007, 03:10 AM
Crazy prediction #1: We're gonna kill those guys so bad we make last year's NC game look close.

Crazy prediction #2: The rest of the Big 12 teams in bowls will win and win big.

End result: We're gonna embarrass all the other confrences and the media in general.

soonerboomer93
12/16/2007, 06:15 AM

yeah, the fact that they were undefeated at the time had little to do with it

:rolleyes:

soonerboomer93
12/16/2007, 06:17 AM
theres a lot of red n00bs in this thread, and i know why

East Coast Bias
12/16/2007, 02:20 PM
I could give you some perspective on East coast sports. I think I am the only one who even follows CFB up here and I know I am the only Sooner fan in the state of New Hampshire.News Flash-No one here cares about CFB ,only the Patriots, Red Sox and Celtics.From their point of view they don't have to pimp any sports team, all of their's are doing okay this year. You have to admit they are dominating professional sports this year. Patriots and Celtics are still in the hunt for world titles.