PDA

View Full Version : At first, I wasn't upset with the BCS bowl matchups...

GoTigers
12/2/2007, 09:23 PM
During the fox show I saw virginia tech in the orange bowl, and held out my last hope that Mizzou could make it, but then Kansas popped up. I said "Oh well, that's what you get for getting beat this late by a great team."

Then i went to ESPN.com and saw the final BCS Standings

1. Ohio State 11-1 (NC game v LSU)
2. LSU 11-2 (NC game v tOSU)
3. Virginia Tech 11-2 (Orange Bowl v. kansas)
4. Oklahoma 11-2 (Fiesta Bowl v West Virginia. Congrats on the free win there.)
5. Georgia 10-2 (Sugar v. Hawaii)
6. Missouri 11-2 (Just accepted bid to Cotton Bowl v R-Kansas)
7. USC 10-2 (Rose Bowl v ILLINOIS, JESUS CHRIST.)
8. kansas 11-1 (Orange Bowl v VaTech)
9. West Virginia 10-2 (Fiesta Bowl v OU what a slaughter)
10. Hawaii 12-0 (Sugar Bowl v Georgia)

We are snubbed by the Orange Bowl and they pick up kU, a full 2 spots below Mizzou. 2 loss team can't play in the BCS? 3 loss illinois is in, one loss at the hands of Mizzou. Good god.

Veritas
12/2/2007, 09:25 PM
Yeah, Mizzou got the high hard one. This system is such a pathetic joke.

The Preach Man
12/2/2007, 09:28 PM
Sucks for you guys. I hate to see stupid crap like that.

The Preach Man
12/2/2007, 09:30 PM
Here is another slap to the face of MU. Michigan(the team that lost to a 1AA school) made it into the BCS and MU(the team that only lost the the #4 team in the country) didnt.

**EDIT** I misunderstood what they said on TV. I realize that Michigan didnt make it(now).

OK2LA
12/2/2007, 09:30 PM
Couple of things here -

If you lose to KU in the last game of the year, then you're probably in the Orange Bowl, because KU gets slaughtered by OU.

Va Tech shouldn't be third

And, I don't like playing WV - that sumbitchn White/Slayton combo is scarin' me.

bluedogok
12/2/2007, 09:31 PM
Y'all got screwed, as I said in another thread I like KU better than MU, I have quite a few friends who went to KU. But Mizzou beat 2 BCS teams and lost to a BCS twice, that should put you in ahead of KU.

Good luck in the Cotton and hope you ave some good weather. I still don't understand why Fox sticks with that ridiculous 10:30am game time when their next game isn't until 7:30pm.

ruf/nekdad
12/2/2007, 09:32 PM
You guys did get hosed but don't look for a lot a sympathy here, Mizzu (and KU) is ranked ahead of OU by the BCS computers.

SoonerMom2
12/2/2007, 09:32 PM
They announced that Kansas had the schedule rank of 109, but they deserve a BCS berth? MO should be in the BCS not Kansas. BCS was tweaked so much to get in the mid majors that strength of schedule means zero, zip, nada. How come the Big 10 which is a weak conferences gets in two teams? Once tOSU was picked for the National Championship, the Rose Bowl did NOT have to pick a Big 10 team but they did anyways.

bluedogok
12/2/2007, 09:34 PM
Here is another slap to the face of MU. Michigan(the team that lost to a 1AA school) made it into the BCS and MU(the team that only lost the the #4 team in the country) didnt.
Michigan is in the Capitol One Bowl against Florida, it is not a BCS bowl game. Illinois is the other Big 10 team, which Mizzou beat first game of the season.

Big Red Ron
12/2/2007, 09:35 PM
Some of the MU fans want to leave the Big XII. I say good riddance.

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-tigers.php?message=5146129

sooner13f
12/2/2007, 09:35 PM
Wow you lost me on this one. Michigan didnt make it into a BCS game.

AZSoonerCat
12/2/2007, 09:36 PM
All three teams deserve to be in. It should be the top ten that get in regardless of conference affiliation.

Ash
12/2/2007, 09:40 PM
The BCS is just BS.

And it's to the point now where it's not all that different from the old bowl system since the voters and bowl officials have so much say in who's in and who's out.

sooner13f
They announced that Kansas had the schedule rank of 109, but they deserve a BCS berth? MO should be in the BCS not Kansas. BCS was tweaked so much to get in the mid majors that strength of schedule means zero, zip, nada. How come the Big 10 which is a weak conferences gets in two teams? Once tOSU was picked for the National Championship, the Rose Bowl did NOT have to pick a Big 10 team but they did anyways.
Thats right the Rose Bowl decided to scr&w over Mizzou, ASU, and Florida. I guess ASU would have the biggest complaint. The other two conf are already sending two teams.

Stitch Face
This pain you're feeling is a small taste of what it feels like...

to be an OU fan.

When your team plays at the highest level you get screwed half the time, by human polls, by computers, by the screwy rules of the BCS...something. Other times you get to feel like we did last night and you did when you beat Kansas in KC.

Get there enough and you get to savor it maybe half the time.

I have a colleague at work who is an MU grad. His Christmas present was going to be tickets to the BigXII championship, then it was a BCS bowl, then it was the NC...

You guys had an awesome season and now feel empty-handed. It sucks, but it happens all the time.

My advice- get tickets to the Cotton Bowl. Put on your best MU sweatshirt. Go have a blast. Wear that sweatshirt the day after the game no matter the outcome, and look forward to next year.

sanantoniosooner
12/2/2007, 09:45 PM

Maybe they can boycott something.

GoTigers
12/2/2007, 09:53 PM
This pain you're feeling is a small taste of what it feels like...

to be an OU fan.

When your team plays at the highest level you get screwed half the time, by human polls, by computers, by the screwy rules of the BCS...something. Other times you get to feel like we did last night and you did when you beat Kansas in KC.

Get there enough and you get to savor it maybe half the time.

I have a colleague at work who is an MU grad. His Christmas present was going to be tickets to the BigXII championship, then it was a BCS bowl, then it was the NC...

You guys had an awesome season and now feel empty-handed. It sucks, but it happens all the time.

My advice- get tickets to the Cotton Bowl. Put on your best MU sweatshirt. Go have a blast. Wear that sweatshirt the day after the game no matter the outcome, and look forward to next year.
I really don't feel empty handed at all about this year. To go from never having large scale success to 1st ever north champs and the cotton bowl is a huge accomplishment for us. I would love to go the the Cotton bowl, watch mizzou stack 8 in the box and beat arkie, but I'm just bummed that FOUR teams we're better than get better bowls than we do (kU, WVa, Hawaii, Illinois)

Stitch Face
12/2/2007, 09:57 PM
I really don't feel empty handed at all about this year. To go from never having large scale success to 1st ever north champs and the cotton bowl is a huge accomplishment for us. I would love to go the the Cotton bowl, watch mizzou stack 8 in the box and beat arkie, but I'm just bummed that FOUR teams we're better than get better bowls than we do (kU, WVa, Hawaii, Illinois)

I hear ya.

Crucifax Autumn
12/2/2007, 10:02 PM
I admit they got screwed, but I don't hear any of them saying we deseerve to be in the championship game, so I'm not going out of my way to help them complain about it!

TUSooner
12/2/2007, 10:06 PM
Yep. MU got skrude.
I feel bad for you, truly.
But almost any team that's not OhSU or LSU also got shat upon.
The BCS is truly a disaster, despite what ESPN and the TV ratings-humpers will be saying for the next month. LSU fans will crow about their championship after they flush OhSU down the terlet, but it will never be legit.

Skru all of it

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2007, 10:10 PM

That's the right attitude! Remember, outside the title game, the choices are made by the bowl according to commerce criteria - not who's better. For KU fans, be careful what you wish for. I'd rather see my team in a lesser bowl with a better match-up. Briefly looking at the 8 bowls with big12 teams, I don't like the looks of the aTm or KU matchups. The other 6, I'd rate even or advantage good guys. Now that the family in-fighting is over, I'm pulling for the big12 guys (ya even :texan: ) :rolleyes:

MextheBulldog
12/2/2007, 10:14 PM
Waiting for an explanation from the Orange Bowl selection committee. After all, they hand-picked KU. Yeah, Mizzou got screwed.

Rose Bowl goes for its *lame* Pac-10 Big 10 matchup. Good lord its 2007 - let it go. Things change.

OklahomaTuba
12/2/2007, 10:15 PM
Tiger,
There is no difference between any of these bowl game. They all suck and are meaningless at the end of the day.

Its like bitching about your teams NIT seeding.

r5TPsooner
12/2/2007, 10:23 PM
Tiger,
There is no difference between any of these bowl game. They all suck and are meaningless at the end of the day.

Yeah accept for the amount of money each school gets which only gets better with the better bowl bid you get especially if you're in a BCS bowl.

Not entirely true IMO.

GoTigers
12/2/2007, 10:32 PM
Tiger,

Dollars, prestige.

At least mizzou didn't get screwed as hard as ASU. Illinois really doesn't deserve to be in at all. The Rose Bowl could have been USC-OU (hell of a game that would be) Orange Bowl VaTech-Mizzou and Fiesta Arizona State WVA

bluedogok
12/2/2007, 10:44 PM
I will be pulling for all the conference teams in the bowls, even OSU and UT. A big part of the problem is perception, the perception most of the year has been the Big 12 is weak mainly based on last years bowl performance and the same reason is why the SEC and Pac-10 were viewed as being much better. Among the national media, a successful bowl season is the best way to raise the perception among the media and poll voters which I think still influences the computer geeks. So in effect, the bowls DO matter.

I want all of the conference teams to win out because it will help all of the teams in the conference come next season.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/2/2007, 11:34 PM

Im quite sure the president of Missouri in on the horn right now discussing Mizzous departure the the WAC

TigerState
12/2/2007, 11:44 PM
At least mizzou didn't get screwed as hard as ASU. Illinois really doesn't deserve to be in at all. The Rose Bowl could have been USC-OU (hell of a game that would be) Orange Bowl VaTech-Mizzou and Fiesta Arizona State WVA

No way, the OU-WVA Fiesta will be one of the better games. Excellent match up.

goingoneight
12/2/2007, 11:52 PM

Tell 'em to take Baylor and ISU with them.

ouwasp
12/2/2007, 11:59 PM
I agree Mizzou got the shaft. However, I think the Cotton Bowl will be a good game.

But things could be worse. Say Tenn doesn't give away the SEC game yeaterday...

As I said on another thread, can you just imagine the outcry if Va Tech got into the MNC ahead of OU? <shudder>

pott_2
12/3/2007, 12:07 AM
I love the way theSuckeyes managed to have 2 bye weeks and move all the way to #1.

Ash
12/3/2007, 12:08 AM
I love the way theSuckeyes managed to have 2 bye weeks and move all the way to #1.

Ironic how, this week, the best thing to do for a BCS team was to not play.

Suerreal
12/3/2007, 12:56 AM
I think the BCS selection would have gone differently had last night's game been closer. Less than a TD difference, and I believe MU & KU would be in different places. 10-11 points, and it would have been too close to call. 18 points, and the deal was done.

GreaterState
12/3/2007, 03:40 AM
Yeah, I don't want to be the guy sticking up for the BCS (really. I don't.) but the system was nominally designed almost only to pair title game participants, to reduce arguments :D . With conference affiliations and automatic qualifiers it doesn't do much more than that. The rest is fans taking the BCS vessel and pouring their hopes and irritations into it, by counting standings at the end to figure out if they were snubbed harder than in the old system.

I'm with whoever pointed out that nothing has really changed. It's still decided on intangible factors by guys with a bunch of money and loud jackets. You know, like life.

yermom
12/3/2007, 03:55 AM
Dollars, prestige.

with the tie-ins USC and OU would have only met if they were #1 and #2 in New Orleans

i can't really find fault with the Orange Bowl taking the team with less losses, that's kind of a toss up

but the Rose Bowl picking Illinois? i mean they are basically the bottom of the BCS eligible teams. was it that bad for OU and Texas to play there?

SoonerShark
12/3/2007, 04:10 AM
...but the Rose Bowl picking Illinois? i mean they are basically the bottom of the BCS eligible teams. was it that bad for OU and Texas to play there?

If you will recall, in 2002 the Rose Bowl folks were upset that they failed to have their traditional match-up, which is great when you recognize we beat the Pac-10 champion by 20. Many nationally now forget that Washington State, not USC was the Pac-10 champ that year. The Big XII played in the Rose Bowl following the 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005 seasons. Blasphemy!

yermom
12/3/2007, 04:48 AM
oh yeah, i forgot about Nebraska

noobalicious
12/3/2007, 10:02 AM
During the fox show I saw virginia tech in the orange bowl, and held out my last hope that Mizzou could make it, but then Kansas popped up. I said "Oh well, that's what you get for getting beat this late by a great team."

Then i went to ESPN.com and saw the final BCS Standings

1. Ohio State 11-1 (NC game v LSU)
2. LSU 11-2 (NC game v tOSU)
3. Virginia Tech 11-2 (Orange Bowl v. kansas)
4. Oklahoma 11-2 (Fiesta Bowl v West Virginia. Congrats on the free win there.)
5. Georgia 10-2 (Sugar v. Hawaii)
6. Missouri 11-2 (Just accepted bid to Cotton Bowl v R-Kansas)
7. USC 10-2 (Rose Bowl v ILLINOIS, JESUS CHRIST.)
8. kansas 11-1 (Orange Bowl v VaTech)
9. West Virginia 10-2 (Fiesta Bowl v OU what a slaughter)
10. Hawaii 12-0 (Sugar Bowl v Georgia)

We are snubbed by the Orange Bowl and they pick up kU, a full 2 spots below Mizzou. 2 loss team can't play in the BCS? 3 loss illinois is in, one loss at the hands of Mizzou. Good god.

Only 2 teams from a conference can make it into a BCS bowl game. That's just the way it works. As far as getting the short end of the stick, you guys probably should have made it ahead of Kansas...I still haven't seen them beat anyone good and I'm pretty sure VT is going to kick their arse.

I'm not quite sure why Illinois got in and here's why...

NC obviously tOSU (Big 10) vs. LSU (SEC)

Automatic bowl tie-ins are as follows:
ACC-Orange Bowl (VT)
Big Ten-Rose Bowl (Went to NC Game)
Big 12-Fiesta Bowl (OU)
Pac-10-Rose Bowl (USC)
SEC-Sugar Bowl (Went to NC Game)

The bowl losing the first place team, the Rose Bowl in this case, gets the first replacement pick from the pool of at large teams. Why they would pick Illinois is beyond me. Here's their pool of teams to select from at that point:

GA, MU, KU, WV, HI, ASU, Fla, Ill, BC

The only ones they could NOT have selected would be ASU, because you can't play a team from your conference, and GA and Fla because they can't select teams from the same conference as #2. That pares the list down to:

MU, KU, WV, HI, Ill, BC

I'm guessing they wanted to go with the traditional Pac 10 - Big 10 rivalry. That's what the Rose Bowl has always done, they are all about tradition and I don't see why they would break it this year. So since they're playing by the rules and there's a Big 10 team available they went with them. BC wouldn't travel well, they don't want a WAC team, WV wouldn't travel as well. The Big 12 teams are attractive, but I'm guessing they wanted to go with a Big 10 team.

Sugar Bowl gets the next pick as it lost LSU. It obviously picks Gawga because it will go with the next best SEC team.

So matchups besides the NC Game are as follows so far:
Rose: USC vs. Illinois
Sugar: Gawga
Fiesta: OU
Orange: VT

The picking rotation this year was Orange, Fiesta, Sugar.

Orange Bowl can't pick ACC team (BC), doesn't want west coast (ASU/HI). Probably want a 1 or 2 loss team to make for a good matchup. They can then pick from: MU, KU, WV. They went with the team that did not lose in disappointing fashion in their last game of the year and are probably banking on cinderella KU attracting a lot of viewers.

That's where you got hosed. If you want to blame someone, blame the Orange Bowl comittee.

Rest falls into place. Fiesta takes WV because its an attractive pick (two good offenses, two teams that could have been in the NC Game). Sugar gets stuck with HI because HI HAS to be selected.

In essence...MU got screwed because the Rose Bowl rarely deviates from its Big 10-Pac 10 rivalry and because the Orange Bowl just straight up picked KU over MU.

I think if you guys would have made it a little more interesting at the end of the Big 12 CG, you'd probably be going to the Orange.

KingBarry
12/3/2007, 11:56 AM
I'm not quite sure why Illinois got in and here's why...

NC obviously tOSU (Big 10) vs. LSU (SEC)

Automatic bowl tie-ins are as follows:
ACC-Orange Bowl (VT)
Big Ten-Rose Bowl (Went to NC Game)
Big 12-Fiesta Bowl (OU)
Pac-10-Rose Bowl (USC)
SEC-Sugar Bowl (Went to NC Game)

The bowl losing the first place team, the Rose Bowl in this case, gets the first replacement pick from the pool of at large teams. Why they would pick Illinois is beyond me. Here's their pool of teams to select from at that point:

GA, MU, KU, WV, HI, ASU, Fla, Ill, BC

I believe that is wrong. My understanding is that when a bowl loses its tie-in to the Championship game, they get first pick from all BCS eligible team -- so in this they COULD have chosen OU -- that would have given them a matchup of what many consider the two best teams outside of the championship, and some consider the two best teams period.

Instead they chose an extremely unexciting Illinois for some strange reason. They could have had a truly marquee game but took something boring.

An OU-SUC Rose Bowl would have even have been historic, as these two teams have never met in a BCS bowl, as far as I remember.

KingBarry
12/3/2007, 12:05 PM
Qestion: KU is in the Orange Bowl, did MU get "screwed"?

I say no. First, the Cotton is not exactly a booby prize. It is the best of all the non-BCS bowls. A BCS pays more, but by the time the conference divides the money the difference to the actual participant is only marginal. The Cotton Bowl is a nice reward for a very good season.

Still, it's not the Orange, but KU had an excellent year, they were North Div co-champs, and only lost one game. One game. In the Big XII. That's pretty impressive.

KU got left out of the Big XII Championship game, so give 'em a trip to the beach.

Partial Qualifier
12/3/2007, 12:05 PM
Dollars, prestige.

Illinois really doesn't deserve to be in at all. The Rose Bowl could have been USC-OU (hell of a game that would be) Orange Bowl VaTech-Mizzou and Fiesta Arizona State WVA

Very true and you can thank the Rose Bowl committee for indirectly screwing you guys out of a BCS bowl. They cry when they're forced to host a non-PAC10 or non-Big10 team, and if they have any say in the matter, they will pull something like this Illinois **** so they can retain their "Big 10/Pac 10" tradition. It's unbelievably ridiculous. Welcome to the BCS.

OULenexaman
12/3/2007, 12:43 PM
... just another reason why Mizzou will always be known as misery...your coach...your QB....everyone at every chance before a camera talked trash about how the last game was a fluke....one Mizzou let slip away....one they gave away...Mizzou got everything they deserved here except being stuck in the alamo bowl...THAT would have been a perfect fit in my opinion.....I love irony.....

crawfish
12/3/2007, 01:47 PM
Tiger...

Make the best of it by beating the crap outta the team that beat LSU.

GoTigers
12/3/2007, 06:31 PM
Qestion: KU is in the Orange Bowl, did MU get "screwed"?

I say no. First, the Cotton is not exactly a booby prize. It is the best of all the non-BCS bowls. A BCS pays more, but by the time the conference divides the money the difference to the actual participant is only marginal. The Cotton Bowl is a nice reward for a very good season.

Still, it's not the Orange, but KU had an excellent year, they were North Div co-champs, and only lost one game. One game. In the Big XII. That's pretty impressive.

KU got left out of the Big XII Championship game, so give 'em a trip to the beach.
Not co- champs, we get tiebreaker.

... just another reason why Mizzou will always be known as misery...your coach...your QB....everyone at every chance before a camera talked trash about how the last game was a fluke....one Mizzou let slip away....one they gave away...Mizzou got everything they deserved here except being stuck in the alamo bowl...THAT would have been a perfect fit in my opinion.....I love irony.....

Missouri talked NO TRASH AT ALL before the game. Talking trash would be "We should have won that game by 30. OU got lucky etc." Instead, we said "We had turnovers we shouldn't have that cost us the game." Chase daniel said that "You can't have 4 turnovers and expect to beat an unbelievable team like Oklahoma." Yeah, a lot of disrespect show there. How dare Chase call you an unbelievable team and not the greatest team of all time. Jesus christ you are unbelievable.

Gary Pinkel is a great coach. He turned this perenially crappy, occasionally mediocre team into what it is now. We're not going away.

Calling chase daniel a bad quarterback is straight up LAUGHABLE. Having a 70% (ok, 69.7%) completion percentage with 33 TDs and 4170 yards with a 151.91 rating, and being mentioned in the heisman talks is just terrible isn't it?

Sorry everyone, that above outburst was directed solely at that assclown, not sooner fans in general. Back to the topic.

If anyone rational had been in charge of the BCS selections, here's how they would fall:

NC: tOSU v. LSU (sorry, i just can't pull the trigger on putting OU in the NC game)

Fiesta: OU v. ASU

Orange: VT v. Mizzou

Rose: SC v. Georgia

Sugar: Hawaii WVa

cvsooner
12/3/2007, 06:40 PM
I agree, Mizzou and ASU really got screwed, here. Kansas shouldn't be in a BCS bowl.

I'm not sure I care about the MNC after this season, anyway--this particular season. I'm about half-convinced if Hawaii stays unbeaten, give it to them.

Either that or have six or eight co-champions.

GoTigers
12/3/2007, 06:44 PM
I agree, Mizzou and ASU really got screwed, here. Kansas shouldn't be in a BCS bowl.

I'm not sure I care about the MNC after this season, anyway--this particular season. I'm about half-convinced if Hawaii stays unbeaten, give it to them.

Either that or have six or eight co-champions.

This has bothered me for a while, but what does the M in MNC stand for?

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 06:46 PM
This has bothered me for a while, but what does the M in MNC stand for?
Mythical

GoTigers
12/3/2007, 06:58 PM
Mythical
that's what i thought, but i didn't think it made sense because now BCS champs are recognized by the NCAA

tator
12/3/2007, 07:02 PM
An OU-SUC Rose Bowl would have even have been historic, as these two teams have never met in a BCS bowl, as far as I remember.

Huh? '05 Orange Bowl.......Natl Championship......ring a bell?

ELP Sooner
12/3/2007, 07:25 PM
Ironic how, this week, the best thing to do for a BCS team was to not play.

Is the BCS computer named Joshua?

Big Red Ron
12/3/2007, 07:43 PM
This has bothered me for a while, but what does the M in MNC stand for?It's Mythical because it isn't settled on the field. When Polls and computers take the place of competition, it's mythical.

GoTigers
12/3/2007, 07:54 PM
It's Mythical because it isn't settled on the field. When Polls and computers take the place of competition, it's mythical.
k, so more of a jab at the BCS, cool, get it now

ruf/nekdad
12/3/2007, 07:56 PM
Huh? '05 Orange Bowl.......Natl Championship......ring a bell?

Nope. Don't remember anything or hear any bells. Huh? What?

bringit
12/3/2007, 07:57 PM
Yup, MU took it deep, but it's cool with me. I'm sick of seeing booger boy's cocky azz in the limelight. He's good in a pitch-and-catch, Tx Tech system, but he's nothing special.

GoTigers
12/3/2007, 08:07 PM
Yup, MU took it deep, but it's cool with me. I'm sick of seeing booger boy's cocky azz in the limelight. He's good in a pitch-and-catch, Tx Tech system, but he's nothing special.
yes, he's a good passer.

tator
12/3/2007, 08:14 PM
Nope. Don't remember anything or hear any bells. Huh? What?

I understand. I want to forget it too ;)

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 08:15 PM
k, so more of a jab at the BCS, cool, get it now
MNC was used LONG before the BCS existed.

Go luck historically how many undefeated teams DIDN'T win the MNC. That's why the term was coined. You could do it all right and still not get that shot.

The term will always still apply until something resembling a playoff comes around. And that's not a plug for it, just a fact.

GoTigers
12/3/2007, 08:20 PM
MNC was used LONG before the BCS existed.

Go luck historically how many undefeated teams DIDN'T win the MNC. That's why the term was coined. You could do it all right and still not get that shot.

The term will always still apply until something resembling a playoff comes around. And that's not a plug for it, just a fact.

oh yeah i know that, the NC used to be even more mythical, etc.

noobalicious
12/3/2007, 08:58 PM
I believe that is wrong. My understanding is that when a bowl loses its tie-in to the Championship game, they get first pick from all BCS eligible team -- so in this they COULD have chosen OU -- that would have given them a matchup of what many consider the two best teams outside of the championship, and some consider the two best teams period.

Instead they chose an extremely unexciting Illinois for some strange reason. They could have had a truly marquee game but took something boring.

"A bowl choosing a replacement team may not select any of the following:

A. A team in the NCG;
B. The host team for another BCS Bowl;
C. When two bowls lose host teams, then the bowl losing the number one team may not select a replacement team from the same Conference as the number two team, unless the bowl losing the number two team consents."

--BCS Rules

It would have been nice to see USC-OU, but the rules prevent it.

soonerboomer93
12/3/2007, 09:16 PM
There's also a clause (never used) that would allow even host teams to be moved to a different bowl in the interest of better competition/more attractive match up. Basically, the Rose Bowl could have bribed the Fiesta bowl to allow OU to play there (or vice versa).

soonerboomer93
12/3/2007, 09:23 PM
If you will recall, in 2002 the Rose Bowl folks were upset that they failed to have their traditional match-up, which is great when you recognize we beat the Pac-10 champion by 20. Many nationally now forget that Washington State, not USC was the Pac-10 champ that year. The Big XII played in the Rose Bowl following the 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005 seasons. Blasphemy!

the worst Blasphemy is that we went 3-1, with alll 3 wins against either a pac 10 or big 10 team. If that was reversed, they wouldn't mind as much but right now, a Big 12 South team in the Rose Bowl = advantage heathens.

soonerboomer93
12/3/2007, 09:44 PM
that's what i thought, but i didn't think it made sense because now BCS champs are recognized by the NCAA

the NCAA recognizes all D1A championships by the organizations who gave them out. This is why teams sometimes retroactively (yeah, i'm talking about you 'Bama and USC) add to their NC total. OU actually has atleast 8 national championships in the NCAA record book that we do not recognize ourselves. We only list AP/UPI/BCS championships.

http://nationalchamps.net/NCAA/database/oklahoma_database.htm

Soonerfan88
12/3/2007, 11:15 PM
Bowls are about local $$$ economy which is why ASU would have been a disaster for the Fiesta Bowl.

Supposedly, Kansas was chosen over MU because of the fan base. From their research & game visits, the OB folks didn't think too much of the MU fans. Overall they felt that KU fans would travel in larger numbers, stay longer, and spend more money.

No, I can't prove any of it or give any links. A friend in Miami says she is on a charity board with a member of the OB committee and this is what she was told. Take it for whatever it may be worth....

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 11:18 PM
Bowls are about local $$$ economy which is why ASU would have been a disaster for the Fiesta Bowl.

Supposedly, Kansas was chosen over MU because of the fan base. From their research & game visits, the OB folks didn't think too much of the MU fans. Overall they felt that KU fans would travel in larger numbers, stay longer, and spend more money.

No, I can't prove any of it or give any links. A friend in Miami says she is on a charity board with a member of the OB committee and this is what she was told. Take it for whatever it may be worth....
MU fans didn't impress some of the locals here in San Antonio according to local radio.

Big Red Ron
12/3/2007, 11:22 PM
Well, Kansas fans have proven that they travel for basketball. MU doesn't have a lot of proof that hey would flock to Miami.

Crucifax Autumn
12/4/2007, 03:19 AM
MU fans didn't impress some of the locals here in San Antonio according to local radio.

They and their team didn't impress anyone else either...

I mean other than the Bowden family and Belotti! LMAO