PDA

View Full Version : Big Game Brent!

BoomerGirl34
12/2/2007, 07:05 PM
From the Saint Louis Post-Dispatch:

:pop:

Depending on your loyalties, you can blame OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables, or give him credit. In two showdowns against MU this season, Venables succeeded where other defensive coordinators failed: he made Daniel unsure, uncomfortable, unsteady.

The Tigers went down hard for a number of reasons. OU's physical offensive line road-graded the smaller Mizzou front seven. OU freshman quarterback Sam Bradford, operating behind excellent protection, calmly rifled accurate passes above the reach of MU's defenders.

OU's edge in overall athleticism was obvious, and I believe it's fair to say that Oklahoma's staff won the coaching matchup against Mizzou's Gary Pinkel and assistants.

Especially Venables.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/CD67B2120083F66E862573A50023CF15?OpenDocument

Stitch Face
12/2/2007, 07:27 PM
That...article...RAWKS!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/3/2007, 10:54 AM
Venables has had his share of criticism, most of it fair I think but Sat night was a defensive materpiece. That is the best OU has played on defense since the 04 Texas game...maybe longer.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/3/2007, 11:23 AM
Venables has had his share of criticism, most of it fair I think but Sat night was a defensive materpiece. That is the best OU has played on defense since the 04 Texas game...maybe longer.Great except for the obvious fauxpaux of going into prevent defense with over 3 minutes left before the first half ended, thus insuring a touchdown for Missouri, to tie the game up.

sooner518
12/3/2007, 11:26 AM
what the hell got into our secondary in the 2nd half? Daniel was running around forever and could never find an open receiver. We'd rush 4, he'd move outside the pocket and end up throwing the ball away every time. They mustve been covering like glue back there.

I was thoroughly impressed by our D. We pressured and tackled soundly and brought some big-time hits.

Paperclip
12/3/2007, 11:29 AM
From elsewhere on that site:

This could still be a breakthrough season, of course, but the Tigers will play the “what-if” game all winter.

As in, “what if Oklahoma wasn’t in this conference?”

LOL!

SoonerBBall
12/3/2007, 11:30 AM
Great except for the obvious fauxpaux of going into prevent defense with over 3 minutes left before the first half ended, thus insuring a touchdown for Missouri, to tie the game up.

You mean the same drive that the most obvious penalty of the game was missed on a MU 3rd and 11 that should have sent them back to 3rd and 21 at which point there would have been no score?

Right.

12/3/2007, 11:48 AM
You mean the same drive that the most obvious penalty of the game was missed on a MU 3rd and 11 that should have sent them back to 3rd and 21 at which point there would have been no score?

Right.Is the above a denial of the Sooners' prevent defense, allowing Missouri to quickly move down the field? (I thought there were too many blown calls by the refs, per usual)

BoonesFarmSooner
12/3/2007, 11:57 AM
Seems like Mizzou was aided by a 15 yard personal foul and/or BS pass interference call on each of their scoring drives.

OUmillenium
12/3/2007, 11:58 AM
Best game Venables and the D have given in a long time.

I too question the prevent late in the first half.

I have been very critical of BV this season and in past seasons but I really enjoyed watching the OU D shut down Mizzou in the 2nd half. Outstanding work.

Curly Bill
12/3/2007, 12:03 PM
I've criticized BV before, and reserve the right to do so in the future if need be, but the "D" was ready to play Saturday night, and he deserves to be applauded for that. It was an awesome display.

Two words for the prevent defense: it sux!

12/3/2007, 12:12 PM
Best game Venables and the D have given in a long time.

I too question the prevent late in the first half.

I have been very critical of BV this season and in past seasons but I really enjoyed watching the OU D shut down Mizzou in the 2nd half. Outstanding work.Exactly!

mxATVracer10
12/3/2007, 12:19 PM
From Sunday's TW:

OU quarterback Sam Bradford was 18-of- 26 for 209 yards, and Missouri’s Chase Daniel went 23-of-39 for 219 yards — just 96 in the second half, and 9 in the fourth quarter.

Wasn't much "prevent" going on in the 4th this time! :pop:

MarylandSooner
12/3/2007, 12:24 PM
The reason why there was not much prevent-D in the fourth was because MU only had the ball I believe for just a little over 2 minutes.

Civicus_Sooner
12/3/2007, 12:35 PM
Brent is the man!

HopeSpringsEternal
12/3/2007, 03:51 PM
Brent is a long way from being "The Man". But the defense in the second half was suffocating. THIS was OU at their potential for once. It's too bad it takes a mouthy MU team to motivate them to performing to it. Perhaps you could drop a note to "The Man" about having a little more expectation for the "best" defense of the Stoops era instead of allowing them to continually be out of position, undisciplined, and having nearly non-existant fundamentals game after game. Thank God, MU has no inner dialog. Or was BJW told to sit down and shut up for a change?

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2007, 04:09 PM
Great except for the obvious fauxpaux of going into prevent defense with over 3 minutes left before the first half ended, thus insuring a touchdown for Missouri, to tie the game up.

We had to stop viewers from changing channels at half time :D

We did the prevent thing right before half in the first meeting as well and gave up a quick field goal. In this game, I thought the silly 15 yard face mask really hurt us; the guy was down and the whistle blown and reach in a pull the mask. Grrr. In addition to the 15 yards, it stopped the clock. I think they run out of time otherwise, but might still get 3.

But hey, no game's perfect, but this one was very close for the 'D'.

Boomer.....
12/3/2007, 04:34 PM
For the rest of you BV haters:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=3139834