PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible...

bcgvh
12/2/2007, 03:56 PM
If OSU/LSU goes down to the final play of the game and OU wins by 40 points, could we possibly get voted a split title? My first thought is no way, but the more I think about it with the way the season has gone, and all this disagreement about who should be in the title game...I think it's possible...maybe.

Youngsooner
12/2/2007, 03:59 PM
I don't want a split title. But technically... we did beat the number 1 team in the nation though, where's the love?

meoveryouxinfinity
12/2/2007, 03:59 PM
I would simply LMFAO if we got voted in the AP over LSU. That would be hysterical. TWICE!!! hahahhaha.

If we accept such titles we might as well become Bama or fUSC.

bcgvh
12/2/2007, 04:04 PM
An AP title is legit though, I'd be all for it. It's the Home and Garden polls that Bama loves so much.

GreenSooner
12/2/2007, 04:09 PM
Is it possible?

Heck, if there's one lesson we've all learned this season, anything is possible.

Boomer.....
12/2/2007, 05:04 PM
I don't want a split title. But technically... we did beat the number 1 team in the nation though, where's the love?
Where's the love? We jumped from 9th or 10th to 3rd over some really good teams.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/2/2007, 05:29 PM
We could certainly get an AP title, but it's a 'title'. We won't be winning a MNC game. We would just get a MNC.

RedstickSooner
12/2/2007, 11:06 PM
Also, bear in mind the most important thing at this point. It's *not* winning a split title: It's blowing out Left Virginia, so that every talking head in the world yammers up and down about how it's a travesty that we were left out of the title game -- and that we were clearly better than either team which played for the crystal football.

(For this to work, LSU and the Bucknuts will have to play pretty badly, of course. It'd also partially work if only one team <cough cough, bucknuts, cough cough> played like shi-ite. But, really, everyone knows already the Bucknuts don't deserve to be there. They just happen to have played a harmless schedule while living in an established conference.)

Widescreen
12/3/2007, 12:28 AM
THE AP DOES NOT AWARD THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. THEY FORFEITED ALL RIGHTS TO CONTRIBUTE TO CROWNING A NATIONAL CHAMPION WHEN THEY BAILED ON THE BCS A FEW YEARS AGO. I DO NOT WANT ANY KIND OF AP "TITLE".

OU-HSV
12/3/2007, 12:29 AM
THE AP DOES NOT AWARD THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. THEY FORFEITED ALL RIGHTS TO CONTRIBUTE TO CROWNING A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WHEN THEY BAILED ON THE BCS A FEW YEARS AGO. I DO NOT WANT ANY KIND OF AP "TITLE".
Exactly.
PERIOD

tommieharris91
12/3/2007, 12:31 AM
Our title in 1974 is split with USC (I don't remember if it is the AP or UPI that gave it to us). So, if the AP decides to award the Sooners with their final #1 ranking, then I will proudly claim it as our 8th national football title.

budbarrybob
12/3/2007, 12:36 AM
although i'd never turn down a legit title even if earned on the 'sly' I wouldn't like another reason for the non-sooner nation to have another BIG reason to be disinclined to rank us appropriately when the time comes.

Widescreen
12/3/2007, 12:38 AM
Apples and oranges. In 1974, the AP and UPI were both relevant in determining the national champion. The BCS now determines the national championship and any other title declaration is a fraud (far more than the stupid BCS).

sooner59
12/3/2007, 12:51 AM
It doesnt really matter what everyone thinks. If we got it, then we would make shirts and signs and add it to the press box and all that jazz. It would go in the books. The university would claim it, along with most fans. If you dont want it, would you complain from now until eternity that someone else deserved it more? Would you argue with your own fellow sooner fans that we didnt win anything and shouldnt claim it? Why? There used to be split titles all the time. Now that we have the BCS, there are still split champions. I didnt like usc getting it anymore than anyone else, but all of the media and records recognize it. Everyone would just come to accept it. Why would you ever argue against your team having a championship? If objective outsiders give it to you, why refuse it? Try telling one of the players on the team that they dont deserve it or it shouldnt count. I doubt anyone would. I dont think it will be split anyway. I think lsu will win and I will puke along with everyone else on here. Im not trying to stir anything up, but im just wondering why people get so defensive about AP championships. Until there is a playoff, ill just say....BCS, AP, whatever.....a championship is a championship. And it will probably stay this way for a while, so why get all bent out of shape?

Widescreen
12/3/2007, 12:59 AM
So you think USC's 2003 title was legit? OK, whatever.

sooner59
12/3/2007, 01:15 AM

Personally...No, I dont think it was legit, but it doesnt matter what I think. USC claims it, AP claims they were champions....its in the books whether I like it or not. I still say they were 1-peat champions and were never going for a 3-peat, but I hate USC and always have. Everyone would say the same of us, but im not going to start talking trash about my own team if we do get it. Ill just say good for them (the players), and start looking forward to next year and a chance at a big crystal ball. Im just saying, it will still be recognized, there is nothing we can do. And I dont think Bob or Castiglione or Boren or the players or anyone else would give it back if given the chance. I would view it as getting some respect for our season and noting that even though we didnt actually win (or play) the NC game, we were good enough to be mentioned on that level. I dont think that tOSU or LSU deserves it anymore than OU, but thats the way it happened. If it we get fine, if not fine. All I want is a Fiesta Bowl win and a good offseason to set our championship run next year.

insuranceman_22
12/3/2007, 01:24 AM
It's definately possible, especially after what's occured this season. I realize a "play off" isn't on the horizon, but dammit this season makes a good arguement for one.

Also I will mention that the MNC game is in lovely New Orleans and lsu is a participant. OSU and their fan base are about to be rudely slapped upside the collective buckeye head! I have a feeling that the bucks may get rolled simuliar to what happened to them last year.

Widescreen
12/3/2007, 01:27 AM
Personally...No, I dont think it was legit
Yet you would run around claiming one for OU? I guess being a fan exempts people from contradiction.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/3/2007, 10:11 AM
Yet you would run around claiming one for OU? I guess being a fan exempts people from contradiction.

Of course it does. It's called hypocrisy and it's something we can all enjoy from Al Gore throwing coal in his fireplace to a Baptist drinking all of your beer. We can thank the esteemed Greek philosopher and the father of medicine Hippocratis for that loop hole. Well, I'll thank him anyway.

1890MilesToNorman
12/3/2007, 10:31 AM
Like the United Nations became many years ago, this year the BCS has become irrelevant! I don't think any team can actually claim a Championship because we do not have a playoff. Any title will have to be followed by a *. The only undefeated team this year (Hawaii 12-0) is not even in the picture. This system does not work and will not work in the future, just my opinion.

Like I've said before, we can build a nuclear powered aircraft carrier but cannot come up with a playoff system for the top division in college football, simply AMAZING (Oklahoma 38, the AMAZING mizzou 17).

German Corner
12/3/2007, 10:46 AM
In 2005 the talk of usc three titles in a row was media hype. Ratings will dictate any of the sports media people to say anything even if they personally don't believe it. I agreee with Jason White's TL take that the AP national "Title" is no different that one of Alabama's twelve or thirteen they claim like a Southern Living magazine national champion. The first usc "title" was against a 2 or 3 loss Michigan and was not the national title game, period.

So if the AP named us their national champion, while that would mean we played well, won the bowl and are flattered with the compliment I wouldn't consider it our 8th title.

I think next year it our year to get the BCS title.

Go Sooners!

auto
12/3/2007, 11:01 AM
The BCS is the national championship. SImple.

The Maestro
12/3/2007, 11:16 AM
I was thinking about it one thought kept coming back to me.

I sure don't want to be the first national title winner with two losses. If LSU wins, sure they can brag about it, but this title will be tainted. A national champion should not be losing at home in the regular season finale to an unranked team.

Just think...the two teams in the national title lost their home finales...one to an unranked team and one to a team ranked around 20th or so. Crazy.

Bottom line over and over and over...Colorado, 3rd quarter, 17 point lead. Every time I get mad about the Harris Poll, the computers, the campaigning...I go back to knowing OU blew it when they could not turn the scenario listed above into a win. No one to blame but ourselves.

pweitkem
12/3/2007, 11:19 AM
There is no such thing as a split national title. Right or wrong OSU and LSU are playing for the national title... the AP carries no weight.

But OU would beat OSU by 4 touchdowns and LSU by 2. Not that it matters.

TUSooner
12/3/2007, 11:22 AM
This pointless MNC arguing is never going to stop, is it?

Civicus_Sooner
12/3/2007, 11:24 AM
The difference between then and now is that then, the AP was 1/8 of the formula to determine the BCS Champion. Now, they aren't a part of the BCS at all.

Widescreen
12/3/2007, 11:32 AM
The difference between then and now is that then, the AP was 1/8 of the formula to determine the BCS Champion. Now, they aren't a part of the BCS at all.
Right. Their contribution was to the BCS formula. Their separate award was and is irrelevant in the BCS era.

Civicus_Sooner
12/3/2007, 12:20 PM
Right. Their contribution was to the BCS formula. Their separate award was and is irrelevant in the BCS era.
What I'm saying is it would indeed be more relevant than in 2003 today because they don't make up part of the formula. In 2003, it was like winning the computer rankings National Championship, kinda stupid. The AP of today is exactly what it was back in the day. The national media picking a national champion.

Until we have a playoff and while the AP is NOT a fraction of the BCS, it's just as valid as it was 40 years ago.

BigRedJed
12/3/2007, 12:34 PM
OU isn't playing in the BCS championship game. Two other teams are. If OU WAS playing in the BCS, and LSU fans or USC fans or some other fans were starting threads hoping for a split title, or defending the idea of one, for their own two-loss team with embarrassing losses to unranked opponents, we would mercilessly ridicule them.

The same way we ridicule Alabama fans and USC fans for the creative accounting that lets them claim more championships than they rightly deserve. Doing so is a point of pride for Sooner fans, in fact.

At this point, the BCS championship game determines who the MNC is, until someone comes up with a better system. Hopefully they will. Sometimes you win it all, sometimes you don't. Deal with it. I expect OU will be winning another in a year or so anyway, so I don't mind the wait. Suck it up and be a Sooner.

Widescreen
12/3/2007, 12:45 PM
Until we have a playoff and while the AP is NOT a fraction of the BCS, it's just as valid as it was 40 years ago.
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Back in the day, the AP and UPI polls were the method to name national champions. Now it's the BCS. The AP is irrelevant and they made themselves irrelevant by pulling out of the BCS.

Part of my hatred for the AP poll is the fact that when they pulled out of the BCS, their stated reason was that they did not want to "manufacture news". And yet they continue to manufacture news by crowning a fake champion.

Civicus_Sooner
12/3/2007, 12:49 PM
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Back in the day, the AP and UPI polls were the method to name national champions. Now it's the BCS. The AP is irrelevant and they made themselves irrelevant by pulling out of the BCS.

Part of my hatred for the AP poll is the fact that when they pulled out of the BCS, their stated reason was that they did not want to "manufacture news". And yet they continue to manufacture news by crowning a fake champion.
I agree with your sentiment but the function is the same. I'm sure if we received an AP National Championship we would recognize it in some way.

The AP, of today is in no way similar to Alabama claiming the Tuscaloosa News NC or the SW Alabama Tribune NC and equating it to the AP or UPI.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/3/2007, 01:07 PM
There is no such thing as a split national title. Right or wrong OSU and LSU are playing for the national title... the AP carries no weight.

But OU would beat OSU by 4 touchdowns and LSU by 2. Not that it matters.

So if OU DOES get an AP title, do they just not acknowledge it?

Thank you, but we will accept your award, and not acknowledge it presently. It's previous 60 years of validity not withstanding.

Widescreen
12/3/2007, 01:09 PM
We would accept it but I sure hope we don't mark the pressbox with a "2007".

SoonerShark
12/3/2007, 10:41 PM
Our title in 1974 is split with USC (I don't remember if it is the AP or UPI that gave it to us). So, if the AP decides to award the Sooners with their final #1 ranking, then I will proudly claim it as our 8th national football title.

OU was on probation in 1974 so UPI would not rank us. Sports Illustrated had a cover story about "The Best Team You'll Never See," since we could not be on TV either.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3305/ou1974bestteamneverseesas9.jpg

SoonerShark
12/3/2007, 10:55 PM
AP used to be the main title but did not have sportswriter vote after the regular season, which is how OU claimed our first title in 1950 despite losing a bowl game 13-7 to Bear Bryant's seventh ranked Kentucky team in the Sugar Bowl. We did not get a championship in 1949 although we went undefeated that year beating number 9 LSU 35-0. Texas claimed its third title in 1970 because UPI still did not vote after the regular season.