PDA

View Full Version : USC 2003?

kevpks
12/2/2007, 03:18 PM
Assuming we don't get a bump from the computers, are we in a similar position to USC in 2003? What it would take to split the title this year? Obviously, we'll have to look impressive in our bowl game. Personally, I would have no qualms about claiming an AP Championship. It would be tough to convince me that it is any less legit than the BCS.

AlabamaSooner
12/2/2007, 03:22 PM
The only way I see us having a chance in the AP is if the OSU/LSU game is very poorly played and it's extremely close. Then, we would need to BLOW OUT our opponent in the Fiesta Bowl. Hey, we only claim AP championships anyway so no change there.

sanantoniosooner
12/2/2007, 03:23 PM
USC was #1 in the AP for some time. OU isn't even #1 right now.

MextheBulldog
12/2/2007, 03:53 PM
Didn't they fix the BcS so a split champ would not happen again? Or did I dream that one up?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2007, 04:01 PM
AP is not tied with the BCS so they can give their own C to whoever they want

sanantoniosooner
12/2/2007, 04:05 PM
Most Sooners have crapped on the AP title that USC got back then.

It would be interesting to see if there would be a reversal of opinion.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2007, 04:07 PM
Oh yeah..probably start meaning something if OU received it..

GrapevineSooner
12/2/2007, 04:11 PM
I'll say the same thing I said back in 2003.

The BCS is the measure by which all the major conferences agreed to and still agree to til this day. It's far from perfect, but it is still the endall beall measure for deciding championships in my book.

Which means unless we're holding up that piece of nice Waterford Crystal at end of the year, we're not the champs.

sanantoniosooner
12/2/2007, 04:13 PM

The BCS is the measure by which all the major conferences agreed to and still agree to til this day. It's far from perfect, but it is still the endall beall measure for deciding championships in my book.

Which means unless we're holding up that piece of nice Waterford Crystal at end of the year, we're not the champs.
And I'll say what I said back then and still say regarding USCs championship.

The BCS is what you are shooting for, but the AP is still prestigious as far as I'm concerned. It's not a crystal ball, but it's significant.

arcman46
12/2/2007, 05:45 PM

I don't recognize USuC's AP national championship and think that because of the system that we are under the BCS NC is the one that matters. That said, there is a difference in USuC's NC, and now. When the AP awarded USuC the NC in 2003, the AP was a part of the BCS formula. Therefore it is not a legitimate NC. the AP is no longer a part of the BCS so they are now free to give their own championship. I would still think that if we got the AP NC it would be tainted though.

Jmorales22
12/2/2007, 08:07 PM

Jmorales22
12/2/2007, 08:11 PM
Guys, an AP national title is legit. You can argue that USC didn't deserve the vote, but it's the most respected poll around, and if you have that, you can claim it. It was a true split in 2003. I have always said that, though this is the first time I posted that on this board. The people who didn't want to recognize USC in 03... that was sour grapes.

Veritas
12/2/2007, 08:14 PM
Guys, an AP national title is legit.
Yeah, and so is the People's National Championship. :rolleyes:

RedstickSooner
12/2/2007, 11:00 PM
Actually, the AP was never a "part" of the BCS. They were *used* by the BCS in their formula. It was this fact - that they, as a news-gathering organization, were being used to shape the news, that made them ask to be removed from the formula.

The AP never gave its blessing in any form to the BCS. They simply didn't object (at first) to their poll being used as part of how the BCS chose the top two teams to play for the national championship.

The point of the BCS was to try to avoid controversy -- to find a way to make sure that the two teams playing were so good that nobody would be able to do anything other than vote the winner of that game as the #1 overall team.

Problem was, and is, that they tried to make it fair by using all sorts of formula. It was a laudable effort, one designed to overcome the incredibly biased and flawed way voters have their heads up their arses when they turn in their ballots. However, when the fair (computer and strength of schedule) components caused the system to deliver games that didn't match the human pollsters wishes, they modified the system.

Frankly, since the root goal was to avoid split championships, the BCS should've just given up any attempt at fairness. You can't argue sense to human voters. They have always been, and will always be, jackasses at heart who vote each week based on how they voted the week before.

That being the case, the only time any formulas should come into play is when the AP and coaches polls don't match for which two teams are #1 and #2. Then, and only then, some fair system should serve as the tiebreaker.

Otherwise, the BCS should just be a means of pitting the top two against one another. That way, no more split titles.

There might've also been an issue with the AP not wanting its ballots to be public -- but didn't the coaches vote to keep their ballots secret, too? In both cases, I think the BCS should use its muscle to force those cheating bastages to confess to how they rig things. When Georgia, without winning its division of its conference, can get a #1 vote from someone, there's obviously someone casting tainted votes out there. Which isn't surprising, with a secret ballot.

GrapevineSooner
12/2/2007, 11:44 PM
And I'll say what I said back then and still say regarding USCs championship.

The BCS is what you are shooting for, but the AP is still prestigious as far as I'm concerned. It's not a crystal ball, but it's significant.

I can see that point.

It's prestigious given the poll's long history. But it's still not what I'd consider the Official championship. Nor do I think it ought to take away any of the glory from whoever wins the BCS title this year.

NYSooner1355
12/3/2007, 12:58 AM
Most Sooners have crapped on the AP title that USC got back then.

It would be interesting to see if there would be a reversal of opinion.

exactly...I'd love to see the hypocrisy of that one!

I for one feel that even though the BCS is as F*ed up as it is, it is what we have and the NC will be either tOSU or LSU...