Soonerus
12/2/2007, 01:27 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

KHS Sooner
12/2/2007, 01:31 PM
Just needed one more jump.

soonersn2007
12/2/2007, 01:32 PM
Damn, 3rd again.............this kinda sucks on being on the cusp of the MNC.

Stitch Face
12/2/2007, 01:33 PM
Can't argue with LSU - they're 11-2 and won their conference :rolleyes:

bred24
12/2/2007, 01:34 PM
That's bull****!!! We were only 8 votes behind LSU last week. And we crush the #2 team in this poll and lose ground?????????????????

fadada1
12/2/2007, 01:34 PM
it'll be close... but i just don't think we get in. we lost on the field when we shouldn't have, but too bad we have to let computers decide this.

soonersn2007
12/2/2007, 01:35 PM
Ya, I wish we had a record like that.:rolleyes:

KHS Sooner
12/2/2007, 01:35 PM

And with all there overtime wins. ;)

fadada1
12/2/2007, 01:39 PM
auburn is probably loving this. hope they enjoy their .com bowl.

OUSanders
12/2/2007, 01:40 PM
wow! lol I didn't think we'd be ranked 3 in both polls. Guys, if LSU loses last night, we are in the MNC instead of them. Dang...

ouwapiti
12/2/2007, 02:02 PM
i cant recall....how many games did lsu win on the last play of the game or something similar ??????

mdklatt
12/2/2007, 02:07 PM
wow! lol I didn't think we'd be ranked 3 in both polls. Guys, if LSU loses last night, we are in the MNC instead of them. Dang...

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts....

The only thing we have control over is winning the Big 12. We did that. Yay us.

rainiersooner
12/2/2007, 02:12 PM
LSU has as good an argument as we do, so I can't get too bent out of shape. But this system SUCKS!!!

r5TPsooner
12/2/2007, 02:15 PM
Bah humbug. :)

SoonerFanInAustin
12/2/2007, 02:18 PM
Everyone involved will make sure we don't play in the Championship. Losing that much ground in the coaches poll is ridiculous. We won't have any hope now. It would have been nice playing for the title, but it won't happen this yr. Have no clue what voters are looking at. Big XII has 3 teams in top 8, but we are still not considered in the top 2. W/E

If it determined we don't play in the Championship game, we just need to go take care of business. So many teams in the past bitch and complain about not playing in a bowl they want and then get worked in their bowl game.

Youngsooner
12/2/2007, 02:22 PM
Revenge in the Fiesta Bowl, win convincingly, preseason number one. Anyone with me on that?

TXBOOMER
12/2/2007, 02:30 PM
LSU has as good an argument as we do, so I can't get too bent out of shape. But this system SUCKS!!!

You are right. We lost 2 games on the road the last one was after losing OUr starting QB on the first series. They have lost two games, their last loss was at home without losing their QB. They won their conference championship by 7 over a mediocre vols team. We freaking destroy the # 1 team in the nation by 21. You are right they have just as good of an argument as we do. :rolleyes:

MY MOTHER F%^%%^$& A&S!

SicEmBaylor
12/2/2007, 02:34 PM
I noticed they have Art Briles listed as the coach of Houston.

cvsooner
12/2/2007, 02:38 PM
To be fair, LSU played several more ranked teams than we did. Both of our losses were on the road to unranked teams, and I think we get a certain amount of understanding for the loss at Tech. The one that's killing us is Colorado. Blowing a 17 point lead will do that to you in the voters' eyes.

OKC-SLC
12/2/2007, 02:41 PM
I'd have killed a man to go to New Orleans and play tOSU for all the marbles.

oupride
12/2/2007, 02:43 PM

They are undefeated in regulation time!:rolleyes:

76soonergrad
12/2/2007, 02:46 PM
How about tOSU not playing the past two weeks & moving up?

They are a nothing team. They need to be taken to the woodshed & taught a lesson. If it has to be LSU, so be it. And I wish the drunken fan base that is LSU to pour it on....

big ten = weakest conference

sanantoniosooner
12/2/2007, 02:46 PM
Trying to argue worst/best losses is a tough proposition.

Basically it boils down to comparing the CU loss to the Arky loss.

It wasn't a heisman candidate that sent us packing. I honestly don't think any team has earned it this year. We've made a pretty fair argument. If it wasn't such a weird season I would be a little more upset.

We've been knocked out of title contention twice and are still on the cusp.

Readyfor8
12/2/2007, 02:50 PM
To be fair, LSU played several more ranked teams than we did. Both of our losses were on the road to unranked teams, and I think we get a certain amount of understanding for the loss at Tech. The one that's killing us is Colorado. Blowing a 17 point lead will do that to you in the voters' eyes.

To be fair how many of those teams are still ranked... I guess you are right, beating a top 10 South Carolina team that was way over rated should get you in the National Championship even if it was the 3rd game of the season.

Auburn Tennessee and Va Tech are the only top 25 wins they have, is that better than Texas, and Missouri twice? I don't think so with Va Tech their only top 10 win right now we have two.

redpurple
12/2/2007, 02:55 PM
So is there anyway that OU reaches the NC now that they're 3 in AP and coaches?

illinisooner
12/2/2007, 03:00 PM
Not sure why everyone is so high on Ohio St...they played an OOC schedule that the other OSU would be proud of, and lost their only real tough game at home. Yeah they beat Michigan at the Big House, but that Wolverine team wasn't that amazing either. Chris Wells running it up the middle and an occasional bomb to Hartline do not equal a great team. They should probably play Kansas in the "You qualify for the BCS so we have to put you in, but you don't really deserve it" bowl, which will be the 6th BCS bowl.

Charla
12/2/2007, 03:05 PM
God I never thought I would be such a big fan of Ohio St. At this point I think I would root for TX. if they were playing LSU. Yeah I think I could argue OUr case.But the evidence is so overwhelmingly to OUr favor that anybody that would want to argue against it would fail to see any logic to the contrary. We all know that the coonass mentality might only be a shade above the idiot level anyway.

Readyfor8
12/2/2007, 03:09 PM
So is there anyway that OU reaches the NC now that they're 3 in AP and coaches?

The AP poll doesn't matter, the Harris poll is the other third of the BCS. if it is really tight like a couple points difference in the Harris poll between LSU and OU, Then the computers choose and we should be either tied there or better than LSU considering our recent win.

Is there a chance? Yes, but it's slim.

tru2ou
12/2/2007, 03:19 PM

Actualy LSU beat the same number of teams with a wining record as OU did. Va. Tech beat 6 and LSU and OU both beat 5 teams with a winning record. BTW, USC only beat 2 teams with a winning record.

- Tru

Youngsooner
12/2/2007, 03:26 PM
I wish we could play LSU... minus the fact its in NO...

tulsaoilerfan
12/2/2007, 03:58 PM
**** Les and his luck; they should have lost 5 games this season

Boomer.....
12/2/2007, 03:58 PM
When does the Harris poll come out?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2007, 04:10 PM
Arent the coaches votes made public after this round of voting..interesting to see how everybody voted

cheezyq
12/2/2007, 04:10 PM
Trying to argue worst/best losses is a tough proposition.

Basically it boils down to comparing the CU loss to the Arky loss.

It wasn't a heisman candidate that sent us packing. I honestly don't think any team has earned it this year. We've made a pretty fair argument. If it wasn't such a weird season I would be a little more upset.

We've been knocked out of title contention twice and are still on the cusp.

Actually, this is how it really pans out:

1. LSU losing to 4-loss Arkie at home and full strength << OU losing to 4-loss Tech on the road w/o their starting QB most of the game.

2. LSU losing to 5-loss Kentucky on the road >= OU losing to 6-loss CU on the road.

3. LSU's best wins: at home v. 3-loss Florida, at home v. 2-loss VT, neutral field v. 4-loss Tenessee. <<<
OU's best wins: at home v. 2-loss Missouri, neutral field v. 3-loss Texas, neutral field v. 2-loss Missouri.

To top it off, we've got a better offense than LSU, and AT LEAST as good of a defense. OU should be headed to MNC, not LSU. The only place where LSU leads us is in media attention, which is pretty much all that matters, unfortunately.

sanantoniosooner
12/2/2007, 04:16 PM
I'm glad that you have all that worked out where it satisfies your needs.

I think there are a LOT more variables than you are accounting for and it's not as cut and dried as you'd like it to be.

canes4ever
12/2/2007, 05:43 PM
Revenge in the Fiesta Bowl, win convincingly, preseason number one. Anyone with me on that?

Just don't play Boise again real soon.

Stitch Face
12/2/2007, 05:47 PM
Just don't play Boise again real soon.

Are you a Miami fan? If so your team should think about not playing...anyone again real soon.

sanantoniosooner
12/2/2007, 05:49 PM
ohhh...

somebody got red REAL quick :O

Jewstin
12/2/2007, 05:52 PM
Hahaha ... holy crap. Did a MIAMI fan just try to talk smack?

Boy howdy. That's some good stuff.

Big Red Ron
12/2/2007, 05:53 PM
Just don't play Boise again real soon.Suck it bottom feeder.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2007, 05:53 PM
ohhh...

somebody got red REAL quick :O

I know you wouldn't have anything to do with that.:)

Big Red Ron
12/2/2007, 05:54 PM
I know you wouldn't have anything to do with that.:)Me either.

;)

Stitch Face
12/2/2007, 05:55 PM
Me either.

Not I.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2007, 05:59 PM
Ruthless..all of ya

SoonerFaninAZ
12/2/2007, 06:36 PM
That's bull****!!! We were only 8 votes behind LSU last week. And we crush the #2 team in this poll and lose ground?????????????????

This is the single greatest reason I would--absent a playoff--rather have the computers decide who plays in the title game.

Saturday at 4:00 EST...

LSU #7 with 1134 points.
OU #8 with 1126 points.

Fine. Seems OK to me. LSU eight points better. Arguable from both sides.

Then, this happens...

LSU beats #15 9-3 Tennessee 21-14.
OU beats #1 11-1 Missouri 38-17.

Leaving us with this...

LSU #2 with 1418 points.
OU #3 with 1331.

While I have no problem with the order, I have a problem with the point gap.

Somehow, many coaches who had either OU ahead of LSU or very near them decided to place a greater gap between the two. Perhaps, even, a few of those 17 coaches who saw fit to select Missouri as their previous #1 team.

The Sooners, despite a much more convincing win over an apparently tougher opponent, manage to...lose 77 points.

Seeing the final coaches poll is going to be great. But I would also like to see last week's poll as well.

Again, no big beef with the positioning. Major beef with losing more than a position per voter.

cheezyq
12/2/2007, 07:42 PM
This is the single greatest reason I would--absent a playoff--rather have the computers decide who plays in the title game.

Saturday at 4:00 EST...

LSU #7 with 1134 points.
OU #8 with 1126 points.

Fine. Seems OK to me. LSU eight points better. Arguable from both sides.

Then, this happens...

LSU beats #15 9-3 Tennessee 21-14.
OU beats #1 11-1 Missouri 38-17.

Leaving us with this...

LSU #2 with 1418 points.
OU #3 with 1331.

While I have no problem with the order, I have a problem with the point gap.

Somehow, many coaches who had either OU ahead of LSU or very near them decided to place a greater gap between the two. Perhaps, even, a few of those 17 coaches who saw fit to select Missouri as their previous #1 team.

The Sooners, despite a much more convincing win over an apparently tougher opponent, manage to...lose 77 points.

Seeing the final coaches poll is going to be great. But I would also like to see last week's poll as well.

Again, no big beef with the positioning. Major beef with losing more than a position per voter.

One of the BCS' biggest mistakes was to place more emphasis on the human polls. I've been saying this since the formula changed, and Rece Davis said the same thing last night during CFB Final. Initially, everyone got tired of the champ being decided by the polls, so they create the BCS. Media outlets don't like the result (USC left out, that is), so they change the formula back to making the polls decide who's #1 and #2.

Sure, computers don't watch the games. But at least the computers aren't subject to the biggest flaw of all in the BCS, media bias.