PDA

View Full Version : The millionth "Why D-1A needs a playoff" thread.

SoonerStormchaser
12/2/2007, 10:55 AM
First of all, Ohio State, you're welcome. Second of all, who have you beaten of note this year? Michigan? Come back when you're schedule doesn't include D-1AA teams.

Well, once again, we're stuck with a complete and utter disaster created by the BCS. After the shockers of yesterday (most saw OU beating Mizzou, but who in their right mind saw Pitt beating WVU in Morgantown?), the BCS is about to lay the biggest egg of them all. Here are the cases for and against the top (perceived) 8 teams in the BCS playing for the MNC.

Ohio State
For: Only one loss
Against: For the millionth time...YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN ANYONE THAT GOOD!!! You're signature win was against a ****ty Michigan team that lost to freakin APPALACHIAN STATE! Wisconsin was overrated all season long and lost to any team they played without a pulse. And to cap it off, you lost to a solid, but not top 10 Illinois team at home. Your offense outside of Beanie Wells isn't anything stellar and your defense has gone downhill the second half of the season (don't get me started on what would've happened if the Michigan receivers hadn't decided to have the mother-of-all cases of the dropsies).

Georgia
For: No team has turned it on better in the second half of the season. This team came out and THROTTLED both Florida (keeping the probably Heisman winner on his *** most of the game) and Auburn. I'll spare you all the "they didn't even win their division" comments because that's old. If you hold that in such low regard, then why were they ranked 4th in last week's BCS standings?
Against: You lost AT HOME to a 6-6 South Carolina team...and got absolutely manhandled on the road by Tennessee.

LSU
For: As much as Les Miles is a total *********, he does have a valid point in the fact that LSU hasn't lost a game in regulation this year. But...
Against: ...YOU STILL LOST TWO GAMES, MORON! Spare me this crap about how the SEC is the toughest and best conference. I hear it every year; this year, it's on par with both the Pac-10 and Big XII. Your defense is allowing waaaay too many yards. It took some ballsy/dumb luck plays to win games against Auburn, Alabama and Florida (see my comments about the defense). And then there's the SEC title game, 21-14 over an overrated Tennessee game, a game in which you were losing for the majority of? (Hey, if the national media can play up the "Mizzou was beating OU til midway through the 4th in Norman," then this is fair game).

Kansas
For: Only one loss.
Against: Outside Mizzou (a loss), who have they played that's any good? No one!

Hawaii
For: Lone undefeated.
Against: OT wins against bad teams like La Tech and mediocre teams like Nevada will not earn you a title game shot. Oh, and you're lucky Washington choked last night after going up 21-0. Sit down, take your obligatory BCS bowl and shut up.

USC
For: Now that they're finally healed up, they might be playing the most complete football in the country.
Against: Stanford, at home...and that's enough of a reason to keep you out.

VaTech
For: The blowout loss to LSU aside, how much of a fluke loss was that to BC the first time? Their defense might be the best in the country right now.
Against: You got destroyed by LSU. The ACC really isn't that good this year, so you're not earning too many brownie points for that championship.

OU
For: We beat Mizzou...TWICE...their only losses of the year. The second time, it was when they were ranked #1, and on a neutral field, and it was a worse beatdown than the first. The offense is a "pick your poison" type. The pass rush has finally shown up, and the run-D has been consistenly good all year long. When all the gears are clicking, there's not much you can do to stop this team.
Against: We still have a bit of a question mark of how well we play away from home. The Colorado loss really hurts, the Texas Tech loss (with the help of the refs) is still perceived worse than it really should be.

Here's what should happen. A BCS/Playoff compromise. There is an 8-team playoff at the end of the regular season (and yes, each BCS conference should have to have a championship game...and Notre Lame needs to man up and join the Big 11), decided by the BCS poll. Top 8 teams, you're in. Not in the top 8? Sorry, best of luck next year.

So where does that leave us? The talking heads on TV are all salivating at a LSU/OSU title game...which makes me suicidal. If this happens, I'm praying for God to come out and swallow the field before kickoff.

Blues1
12/2/2007, 11:02 AM
I'd Rather Play LSU than Kansas - Anybody but Kansas - Just has no Romance -- JMHO...!

GreenSooner
12/2/2007, 11:52 AM
Excellent rundown. I'd say a sixteen-team playoff is better than an eight-team playoff, if only because it would be guaranteed to give any team undefeated in the regular season a shot at the championship (which is part of the point of a playoff system, IMO). I don't for a minute think Hawaii is one of the best two teams in the land, but having won their conference and gone undefeated, they should have a chance to prove that I'm wrong.