PDA

View Full Version : We are projected to play Kansas in the Fiesta Bowl

leematthews
12/2/2007, 03:51 AM
By CollegefootballNews (http://cfn.scout.com/2/704758.html) and CBS Sportsline (http://sportsline.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions)

:rolleyes:

OUWxGuesser
12/2/2007, 03:53 AM
Another lose-lose game.

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2007, 04:34 AM
What a great side effect of the BCS. Mizzou wins the division and dismantles KU in the process and then KU gets a BCS bid and Mizzou doesn't ? Winning the north of the big12 is a bad idea - you then have to play OU. No wonder the north teams have historically tried to out lose each other to avoid that :D I'll bet they go back to that strategy next year.

Octavian
12/2/2007, 06:55 AM
Another lose-lose game.

We can't think this way.

We did that last year (myself included), and that mindset did nothing for us.

Oklahoma needs to do what Oklahoma does best: attack.

Octavian
12/2/2007, 07:01 AM
OU should treat the Fiesta Bowl --regardless the opponent --as a stepping stone for the '08 National Championship run.

AzianSooner
12/2/2007, 07:15 AM
can it be FLORDIA or GEORGIA?

Flagstaffsooner
12/2/2007, 07:19 AM
My dear Sooner Brethern, welcome back to my State.

hgarmorer
12/2/2007, 07:24 AM
OU should treat the Fiesta Bowl --regardless the opponent --as a stepping stone for the '08 National Championship run.

No joke, we got a very strong team returning next year. I'm not saying we should be preseason #1, because I think we play better we are not ranked that high. I like hanging back a little and then kicking the crap out of the polls. This years team is awesome but next year, wow.

AzOU
12/2/2007, 07:34 AM
I just hope we come in with a big ol' chip on our shoulders (maybe 'cause we didn't make MNC game?) and game plan/execute like we did against Mizzwho.
Here's to seeing my Sooners in the Fiesta Bowl again! A 10-minute commute from home in Litchfield Park, AZ!

AzOU
12/2/2007, 08:03 AM
Oh, and i REALLY hope the Fiesta Bowl doesn't go mental and try to re-create last year's david/goliath scenario by inviting freaking Hawaii to the bowl!

soonersn2007
12/2/2007, 08:03 AM
Another lose-lose game.
It's a lose-lose-lose game, it's a idiotic idea by a bowl committee and the big XII. We need an opponent that some doubters think we can't beat, IMHO.....Kansas would be just another Boise State in regards to nothing to be gained by defeating them. Plus, it would deprive the conference of proving it's dominance in the post season by beat other non-conference teams.

It's a bad bad bad idea.

Octavian
12/2/2007, 08:10 AM
It's a lose-lose-lose game, it's a idiotic idea by a bowl committee and the big XII. We need an opponent that some doubters think we can't beat, IMHO.....Kansas would be just another Boise State in regards to nothing to be gained by defeating them. Plus, it would deprive the conference of proving it's dominance in the post season by beat other non-conference teams.

It's a bad bad bad idea.

Disagree. No matter who we face....this bowl game is HUGE for Stoops and OU. OU has a chance to raise a BCS bowl trophy on national TV.

OU has a LOT to play for....not just because of last year but also because of next year. A Fiesta Bowl win would do wonders for the off-season and '08.

Blues1
12/2/2007, 10:28 AM
PLEASE - No Kansas....JMHO....!

tulsaoilerfan
12/2/2007, 10:31 AM
I think this idea totally sucks; we get Kansas back on the schedule next 2 years; i want to play someone we never play, dammit!!!!!!!!

SoonerFanInAustin
12/2/2007, 10:34 AM
My thought on us playing Kansas. Why would the BCS set that match up. Mizzu beat Kansas. We beat Mizzu. They won't create that game.

No matter who we play, we need a win. We haven't faired well in BCS games the last couple of yrs, which just may hurt us playing for the Natl Championship this yr.

The Maestro
12/2/2007, 10:35 AM
My thought on us playing Kansas. Why would the BCS set that match up. Mizzu beat Kansas. We beat Mizzu. They won't create that game.

No matter who we play, we need a win. We haven't faired well in BCS games the last couple of yrs, which just may hurt us playing for the Natl Championship this yr.

I agree...the people who put this in place have to think about these things. No interest in this matchup at all.

SoonerFanInAustin
12/2/2007, 10:46 AM
After listening to Brad Edwards, who is usually pretty good with the BCS. Here are my predictions:

Championship - Ohio St/LSU
Orange - W. Vir/Va Tech
Rose - USC/Georgia
Sugar - Kansas/Hawaii
Fiesta - SOONERS/Ari St

The Maestro
12/2/2007, 10:53 AM
Well, if we cannot get to the title game, please give me the chance to shut up the ASU fans around here who think they know football! I will be all over an OU-ASU Fiesta Bowl!

badger
12/2/2007, 11:19 AM
well then, mangino it is!

back to the farking board on him. has it already been brought up that he's fat and likes cupcakes, because I definitely think that would be a creative jab at Kansas.

Hey Jayhawks! You have a fat coach! Yeah! And he not only plays cupcake teams, he eats cupcakes too! Yeah, that's why he's fat, because he eats so many cupcakes! :D:D:D

:rolleyes:

MextheBulldog
12/2/2007, 11:22 AM
Gawd, a conference game in a BCS bowl.

This BCS is amazing!!

Please, please, please, college football - i love you. But FOR GOD SAKES FIX THIS BCS CRAP.

bluedogok
12/2/2007, 11:37 AM
I don't care who we play, just line'em up and lets whip'em......

KHS Sooner
12/2/2007, 11:43 AM
I would def. want to play Arizona State instead of Kansas.

r5TPsooner
12/2/2007, 11:47 AM
I want to play KU and destroy them.

Desert Sapper
12/2/2007, 12:00 PM
I really hope we get UGA or maybe WV. I think those are much more intriguing matchups than KU. I thought the Fiesta was supposed to get the first choice of at-large teams this year. Not the Rose. Everybody is talking UGA vs. suc as a matchup, but I really want to see us play the Dawgs. It could be the best game of the bowl season.

OUMonster
12/2/2007, 12:00 PM
I think this idea totally sucks; we get Kansas back on the schedule next 2 years; i want to play someone we never play, dammit!!!!!!!!

Amen. Getting to watch OU line up against teams we never play against is one of the best things about bowl games. I'd love to see OU vs. Arizona State, Georgia, etc. Kansas? Not much fun there.

toneful
12/2/2007, 12:04 PM
Oh, and i REALLY hope the Fiesta Bowl doesn't go mental and try to re-create last year's david/goliath scenario by inviting freaking Hawaii to the bowl!

that's the only game that i would look forward to less than a Kansas matchup.

toneful
12/2/2007, 12:09 PM

i think we better prep for a NC run by playing a team outside our conference in the fiesta bowl, cause that is the kind of team we would play in '08 for a BCS ch. We don't learn anything about great teams outside of the big 12 by playing kansas.
The whole thing is frustrating. I want to see us line up against Georgia, the class of the SEC(my opinion), or USC.

MojoRisen
12/2/2007, 12:13 PM
Does the Fiesta Bowl get first pick at an At large? If so They can pick between Kansas, Arizona St., Georgia, Florida, Hawaii

You would think Phoenix would be ****ed if it is ASU - no body would get hotel rooms etc etc- Georgia would be the pick 4 vs 5 or something.... I do not think it would be good for the BCS for a conference game to be played especially since we just dismantled the team that beat kansas handly last weekend.... This would be a travesty and I would work towards not bieng forced into the Fiesta Bowl and go back to the Orange Bowl - Atleast Va Tech or WVU would be a better opponent -

rubyspirit
12/2/2007, 12:22 PM
Boring

soonersn2007
12/2/2007, 12:38 PM
I got to believe that in private, BoB Stoops has no interest in playing Kansas because beating them would prove nothing to the rest of the college football.

tulsaoilerfan
12/2/2007, 12:47 PM
I wanna play Georgia

SoonerFanInAustin
12/2/2007, 12:49 PM
Rose Bowl gets first pick if Ohio St makes the Championship game. They get to pick a team to replace them.

If BCS pits OU vs Kansas, it shows how much they are against the Big 12. It just guarantees Big 12 can only win 1 BCS game and not 2. At least give the Big 12 a shot to win 2. Otherwise LSU should play Georgia since they didn't plaly each other this yr either.

soonerspudman
12/2/2007, 01:13 PM
Fiesta Bowl = OU v. W.V.

Two conference champs facing off on neutral field, really a great matchup.

This only makes sense. DOH! Forgot, this is the BCS...

rubyspirit
12/2/2007, 01:21 PM
I got to believe that in private, BoB Stoops has no interest in playing Kansas because beating them would prove nothing to the rest of the college football.

You're right ... Stoops doesn't want to ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meanwhile Oklahoma appears destined for the Fiesta Bowl, where it may play Kansas. Schools from the same conference are allowed to square off in a bowl if they didn't meet during the regular season, which is the case with the Sooners and Jayhawks (11-1).

Kansas head coach Mark Mangino was Oklahoma's offensive coordinator when the Sooners won the national title in 2000.

"Mark and I are such good friends," Stoops said. "That would be exciting. I wouldn't be opposed to that. I think it would be great. But hopefully that doesn't happen.

"Hopefully, we're somewhere else."

Source (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AquSSCtrhrfkZfQU5Ra0epEcvrYF?slug=jn-sooners120207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

soonersn2007
12/2/2007, 01:29 PM
Thanx Ruby, I'm glad he publicly nixed the idea..........hopefully the bowl committee will hear him. But I think he was referring to being somewhere else as in the BCS champ game.

fadada1
12/2/2007, 01:31 PM
placing OU and KU together in the fiesta bowl would only reinforce the fact that the BCS is run by a pack of spider monkeys.

bluedogok
12/2/2007, 02:04 PM
placing OU and KU together in the fiesta bowl would only reinforce the fact that the BCS is run by a pack of sphincter monkeys.
There, fixed that for you :D

rubyspirit
12/2/2007, 02:05 PM
Thanx Ruby, I'm glad he publicly nixed the idea..........hopefully the bowl committee will hear him. But I think he was referring to being somewhere else as in the BCS champ game.
Exactly!

cvsooner
12/2/2007, 02:24 PM
My own guess is it will be us against either WV or Virginia Tech, and either WV or VT (whichever we don't get) going up against Mizzou in the Orange Bowl. I think Kansas will wind up in the Cotton.

I just hope somebody at the Fiesta Bowl doesn't give us Hawaii. That is a trap game. If the BCS was really fair, it should be Hawaii against tOSU or LSU in the MNC game...but it's the BCS, so it's not going to happen.

leematthews
12/2/2007, 02:50 PM
There are a few sites pitting us against West Virginia and ASU

cvsooner
12/2/2007, 02:57 PM
Here's what one site forecasts:

Allstate BCS National Championship Game
Ohio State (Big Ten champ) vs. LSU (SEC champ)

The Rose Bowl Game Presented by Citi
USC (Pac-10 champ) vs. Illinois (at-large)

Allstate Sugar Bowl Georgia (at-large) vs. Hawaii (at-large)

FedEx Orange Bowl
Virginia Tech (ACC champ) vs. Kansas (at-large)

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
Oklahoma (Big 12 champ) vs. West Virginia (Big East champ)

I had forgotten the ACC champ must go to the Orange Bowl. Us against Pat White and Steve Slaton. That could be good.