PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii, seriously.

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 03:12 AM
you have a strength of schedule of 119. yes 119.

you should never be considered for the NC.

CORNholio
12/2/2007, 03:14 AM
what he said

msteudem
12/2/2007, 03:18 AM
If LSU doesn't somehow leapfrog to go to the MNC then they are projecting LSU and Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl. It would be hilarious if they pulled up the upset in LSU's backyard.

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 03:19 AM
i hate the underdog no respect story. i hope LSu kills them.

but that would be funny

SCOUT
12/2/2007, 03:21 AM
My problem with Hawaii is the same issue I have with Texas Tech. They are a quality team that can beat any team on any given day. However, if they played teams that prepared for them, they would fold like a cheap suit.

Hawaii is fun to watch, but they are hardly one of the best teams in the country.

silverwheels
12/2/2007, 03:23 AM
Well, we'll see how they do in a BCS game against a really good opponent. If it's Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, it should be a great game.

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 03:23 AM
It's not that I'm high on Hawaii.

It's that, IMO, any system that leaves an undefeated team out of the National Championship game is broke. That should never happen.

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 03:25 AM
It's not that I'm high on Hawaii.

It's that, IMO, any system that leaves an undefeated team out of the National Championship game is broke. That should never happen.

not in a 2 team playoff. 8 team? sure. give em a seed in it. but picture them in the sec or the b12.

SCOUT
12/2/2007, 03:26 AM
Isn't this like saying, "the best team should always win!"

Assuring that there is only 1 undefeated D1 team would require a pretty big playoff system..

NYC Poke
12/2/2007, 03:27 AM
No team this year will be a credible national champion.

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 03:28 AM
The point is that the two team playoff system is broke as ****. Undefeated teams are regularly not even getting a shot at the national championship. It's bull****.

SCOUT
12/2/2007, 03:30 AM
The point is that the two team playoff system is broke as ****. Undefeated teams are regularly not even getting a shot at the national championship. It's bull****.
Are they undefeated because they beat the local moose lodge intramural teams?

If so, they should consider playing a real college schedule.

colinreturn
No team this year will be a credible national champion.
exactly. many teams will claim reasons why the should be.

thus starting riots for a playoff. hopefully;)

but the thing is, is that this "uncertainity" among all teams creates the illusion that everyone "could" be number one. creating lots and lots of money. thats why i doubt a playoff will happen anytime soon.

www.nobcs.net

Vaevictis
Isn't this like saying, "the best team should always win!"

Assuring that there is only 1 undefeated D1 team would require a pretty big playoff system..

No, it's not like saying that at all.

It's like saying, "If a team is undefeated, they should get a shot at the title."

Right now, undefeated teams are regularly being denied even the opportunity to win the title on the field. And it's bull****.

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 03:31 AM
Are they undefeated because they beat the local moose lodge intramural teams?

If so, they should consider playing a real college schedule.

Was Auburn undefeated because they beat the local moose lodge intramural teams?

Hell, how about Boise State post-bowl? Is OU the local moose lodge intramural team?

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 03:36 AM
auburn is a COMPLETELY different situation. there were 3 unbeatens going into the bcs selection weekend. one had to get snubbed

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 03:37 AM
No ****.

And any system that is designed in such a way as to let that happen is broken. An undefeated team should get its shot on the field. That's all I'm saying.

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 03:37 AM

Hell, how about Boise State post-bowl? Is OU the local moose lodge intramural team?

when hawaii beats a good team in a bcs bowl. ill shut up.

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 03:40 AM
No ****.

And any system that is designed in such a way as to let that happen is broken. An undefeated team should get its shot on the field. That's all I'm saying.

they could have scheduled some good non conference opponents.

dont give me the "no one wants to play us" crap. they could definately play a top 10 team in a non conference.

Fraggle145
12/2/2007, 03:41 AM
when hawaii beats a good team in a bcs bowl. ill shut up.

WVU did it to UGA and BSU did it to us... what makes you think Hawaii couldnt... it turns it into a one game system. Maybe they couldnt do it week in week out (most likely they would get stomped), but I would be careful saying they only had to do it one game.

Vaevictis

dont give me the "no one wants to play us" crap. they could definately play a top 10 team in a non conference.

Pfft, scheduling good OOC opponents is a crap shoot, and if you paid any attention to our season this year, you should know it.

SCOUT

No, Auburn beat the Citadel instead of my fake example.

Boise State was a good team that played with a no holds barred attitude that payed off.

Did you see Philadelphia play NE close last week? Which was the better team?

Ardmore_Sooner
12/2/2007, 03:42 AM
Boise had a strength of schedule of 119 or close to it last year. SOS is a crock of crap, if you are winning games you are winning games. There are just a lot of people on here still having sour grapes over the Fiesta Bowl last year.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/2/2007, 03:45 AM

You must not read much huh?

You realized that Michigan State backed out of a game this year and Hawaii asked Michigan to take their place. Michigan took the high road and played Appalachian State.

Austin, Texas 2000. Mack Brown backs out of a game at Honolulu. June Jones (Hawaii's Head Coach) makes the comment, "He must not be from Texas. 've never known a man from Texas to back out of a fight."

Teams don't like to play out their because it is a tough place to play. Teams like Washington and USC have the balls to live up to a home and home that they honor. I can hardly blame a team for having opponents buying out their contracts.

GreenSooner
12/2/2007, 03:47 AM
Sixteen teams would do it. You give every D-I conference champion an automatic bid. The rest are chosen at-large by a committee (like the NCAA basketball tourney). That would guarantee that, at the end of the season and the playoffs, if you haven't lost, you're the RNC (that's REAL national champ). D-IAA has a sixteen team playoff; no reason D-I can't, too.

def_lazer_fc
12/2/2007, 03:48 AM
not hating on hawaii or anything, but when playing washington at home is considered a "big" game, they have some growing to do. you want to be taken more seriously? schedule a tougher non conference schedule. northern colorado and charleston southern don't count. at least pick a school i knew existed.

and no one is arguing that they shouldnt be in a bcs game, or at least i hope not. im all for that. they deserve it, and i hope they do well. i just dont think they deserve to be in the NC game.

SCOUT
12/2/2007, 03:50 AM
Boise had a strength of schedule of 119 or close to it last year. SOS is a crock of crap, if you are winning games you are winning games. There are just a lot of people on here still having sour grapes over the Fiesta Bowl last year.
There are a lot of people who can't admit that some teams have to take extra risks to win certain games. When they pay off, they are Cinderella teams. When they don't, they are forgotten.

Do you think USC, LSU, UT, UF, tOSU, etc, would have relied on two VERY unconventional plays to win? The reason the answer is "no" is because those teams are more closely matched in skill level.

I give Boise State all of the credit in the world, because they won on that day. If you match those two teams together 100 times, OU wins 95 of them IMO. That doesn't matter though. The 1 time those teams met, BSU won.

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 03:50 AM
No, Auburn beat the Citadel instead of my fake example.

Boise State was a good team that played with a no holds barred attitude that payed off.

What a load of crap. Auburn played in the SEC. Boise State beat OU.

They were both undefeated, they both had the ability to play with the big boys, and they should have had a shot. Once again, the system is broke.

Did you see Philadelphia play NE close last week? Which was the better team?

Does it matter who was the better team? NE won, right? The point being that the game was actually played.

It's not like a bunch of people got together, said, "Hmm, I guess I think this team is better than the other, so we won't even let them have their shot." I say, let them have their shot. There's a reason they play the game. If you want to just compare records and stats, play fantasy.

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 03:51 AM
when people discuss hawaii's nonconf. sched. they always mention how tough it is to play. well maybe hawaii could go somewhere else to play.

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 03:53 AM
(most likely they would get stomped)

exactly

SCOUT
12/2/2007, 03:56 AM
What a load of crap. Auburn played in the SEC. Boise State beat OU.
The Citadel is in the SEC? Wow, who knew?

They were both undefeated, they both had the ability to play with the big boys, and they should have had a shot. Once again, the system is broke.
If you can't grasp the idea that beating the sisters of the poor is easier than ANY OTHER D1 TEAM, I guess I can't help you.

Does it matter who was the better team? NE won, right? The point being that the game was actually played.

It's not like a bunch of people got together, said, "Hmm, I guess I think this team is better than the other, so we won't even let them have their shot." I say, let them have their shot. There's a reason they play the game. If you want to just compare records and stats, play fantasy.
NE won but just barely. I mention that game because Philadelphia gave them a game that they have not given any other NFL team this year. They played balls to the wall. That is what happens when an underdog plays a champion. They are willing to take risks that other teams would not take. You see that right?

def_lazer_fc
12/2/2007, 04:00 AM
can everyone agree that the bcs sucks? a playoff would be nice. if a team like hawaii could make it all the way through, then awesome. congrats! but a lot of people would lose a lot of green, so that will never happen. :mad:

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 04:00 AM
"They were both undefeated, they both had the ability to play with the big boys"

auburn was a big boy. they were undefeated. and got left out because 3 teams were undefeated. unlike this year. where there will be a 2-loss in it. understand?

AllAboutThe'O'
12/2/2007, 04:03 AM
Austin, Texas 2000. Mack Brown backs out of a game at Honolulu. June Jones (Hawaii's Head Coach) makes the comment, "He must not be from Texas. 've never known a man from Texas to back out of a fight."
And later that year, the Horns promptly went out west and got beat by Stanford. HA!

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 04:06 AM
The Citadel is in the SEC? Wow, who knew?

That's not what I said. Okay, so they played one patsy. They also played in the SEC, so I'm betting that they played a couple of half-way decent teams.

If you can't grasp the idea that beating the sisters of the poor is easier than ANY OTHER D1 TEAM, I guess I can't help you.

I can grasp it. I just also happen to believe that a system that doesn't even give an undefeated team a shot is broken. They're two separate things, and if you can't grasp that, NOBODY can help you.

NE won but just barely. I mention that game because Philadelphia gave them a game that they have not given any other NFL team this year. They played balls to the wall. That is what happens when an underdog plays a champion. They are willing to take risks that other teams would not take. You see that right?

Yeah, I see that. And that's why they actually play the game. You could just as easily play fantasy and decide the winner that way. Why don't you?

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 04:07 AM
"Yeah, I see that. And that's why they actually play the game. You could just as easily play fantasy and decide the winner that way. Why don't you?"

if only at colorado...........

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 04:12 AM
"They were both undefeated, they both had the ability to play with the big boys"

auburn was a big boy. they were undefeated. and got left out because 3 teams were undefeated. unlike this year. where there will be a 2-loss in it. understand?

I do, in fact understand that. I know why Auburn got left out. And I'm still of the opinion that it's bull****. Same goes for Utah and Boise State, and Hawaii this year.

Why? Because, once again, I am of the opinion that if you're undefeated in Division I, you should get a shot at the title on the field. End of story. No mitigating circumstances. I don't care about your schedule. I don't care how many other undefeated teams there are. Absolutely, positively, without exception: If you are undefeated, you should have a shot on the field.

Whip out all the mitigating circumstances you want, and it's not going to make a difference to me. I just don't care, because, once again, absolutely, positively, without a doubt, it is my opinion that if you are undefeated, you should get your shot at the national championship on the field.

Do YOU understand?

This of course necessitates a multi-seed playoff (probably 8 or 16) to implement, because, well, the nice thing is, if you seed a playoff with undefeateds, only one emerges.

hawaii 5-0
12/2/2007, 04:12 AM
Sure Hawaii had a sucky schedule. It wasn't all hawaii's fault as a couple of Big 10 teams chickened out. Someone should penalize the Big 10.

Bottom line is that whoever you play, you gotta win the game. Hawaii did just that. This season we've seen a lot of teams that were favored and still lost to the underdogs or 'little guys'.

Hawaii took care of business when they needed to. The BCS needs a big kick to allow more 'little guys' a chance to prove themselves.

BTW, Boise State was ranked in the Top 20 when they lost to Hawaii and Hawaii hadn't beaten them since Boise joined the WAC. It was a major monkey off Hawaii's back.

I hope some of you stayed up to watch Hawaii spot Washington 21 points and then come back behind Colt Brennan to win 35 - 28.

When it's all said and done, Hawaii is very fun to watch.

:cool: 5-0

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 04:15 AM
Sure Hawaii had a sucky schedule. It wasn't all hawaii's fault as a couple of Big 10 teams chickened out. Someone should penalize the Big 10.

Bottom line is that whoever you play, you gotta win the game. Hawaii did just that. This season we've seen a lot of teams that were favored and still lost to the underdogs or 'little guys'.

Hawaii took care of business when they needed to. The BCS needs a big kick to allow more 'little guys' a chance to prove themselves.

BTW, Boise State was ranked in the Top 20 when they lost to Hawaii and Hawaii hadn't beaten them since Boise joined the WAC. It was a major monkey off Hawaii's back.

I hope some of you stayed up to watch Hawaii spot Washington 21 points and then come back behind Colt Brennan to win 35 - 28.

When it's all said and done, Hawaii is very fun to watch.

:cool: 5-0

good luck in the sugar bowl

Vaevictis
"Yeah, I see that. And that's why they actually play the game. You could just as easily play fantasy and decide the winner that way. Why don't you?"

if only at colorado...........

No OU 2000 NC that way, though.

CORNholio
Everybody always wants to mess with crap. This year is a little screwed up, big deal. If you want a playoff then there are plenty of sports with playoffs, might i suggest basketball. This is college football and it doesnt have a playoff. It's worked for a 100 years without one. It wasn't until this shortsided bigheaded generation came along that beleives it can "fix" everything because it is so freaking smart. Well sometimes its best just to step back and accept it for what it is. Either that or tweak it and tweak it and scrap it and tweak it until you come up with something so far from itself its unrecognizable.
When everything is said and done the playoff system will go down with "participation trophies" as two things that killed a sport.

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 04:18 AM
No OU 2000 NC that way, though.

and thats why we play the game. hhaha goes back to the same point.

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 04:18 AM
snort, toss NC claims altogether then, and go back to just conference and bowl champions. Fine by me.

But if you're going to have a "National Championship" at all, do it right.

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 04:20 AM
and thats why we play the game. hhaha goes back to the same point.

Yup.

That's all I'm saying. If they go undefeated in Division I, IMO, they've earned a shot. I say: Give it to them.

Play the game, and let it be decided on the field. This BCS ****, it really is just a bunch of computers and coaches and voters playing fantasy football.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/2/2007, 04:23 AM
when people discuss hawaii's nonconf. sched. they always mention how tough it is to play. well maybe hawaii could go somewhere else to play.

2003 @ USC
2005 @ Michigan State
2006 @ Alabama
2008 @ Florida

Google isn't that hard to use, is it?

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 04:26 AM
2003 @ USC
2005 @ Michigan State
2006 @ Alabama
2008 @ Florida

Google isn't that hard to use, is it?

loss, loss, and loss?

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 04:27 AM
Yup.

That's all I'm saying. If they go undefeated in Division I, IMO, they've earned a shot. I say: Give it to them.

Play the game, and let it be decided on the field. This BCS ****, it really is just a bunch of computers and coaches and voters playing fantasy football.

so, you think hawaii, with their sos of 119 out of 119, deserves to be in the natl championship more than OU,LSU,or USC?

Ardmore_Sooner
12/2/2007, 04:29 AM
Who do we play on the road non conference that you would consider a tough game? Besides Oregon we haven't played a tough nonconference team on the road since Bama, and even they weren't very good. Colin your argument is mute. Check Boise last year. Is it their fault they don't play in a spectacular conference? Is it their fault they can't schedule home and homes with people?

I would seriously think after the Fiesta Bowl last year that people would get their heads out of their butts.

Non BCS schools 2-0 in BCS games.

GreenSooner
12/2/2007, 04:30 AM
Everybody always wants to mess with crap. This year is a little screwed up, big deal. If you want a playoff then there are plenty of sports with playoffs, might i suggest basketball. This is college football and it doesnt have a playoff. It's worked for a 100 years without one. It wasn't until this shortsided bigheaded generation came along that beleives it can "fix" everything because it is so freaking smart. Well sometimes its best just to step back and accept it for what it is. Either that or tweak it and tweak it and scrap it and tweak it until you come up with something so far from itself its unrecognizable.
When everything is said and done the playoff system will go down with "participation trophies" as two things that killed a sport.

Actually, outside of D-I, college football has long had playoffs.

And the "this is how we've always done it" argument, while always pretty weak, is in this case also not true. This isn't the college football I grew up with. This is the BCS. Tradition went out the window when the Big 10 and the Pac 10 champs weren't guaranteed to meet in the Rose Bowl.

BTW what sport was ever killed by instituting a playoff system?

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 04:30 AM
Who do we play on the road non conference that you would consider a tough game? Besides Oregon we haven't played a tough nonconference team on the road since Bama, and even they weren't very good. Colin your argument is mute. Check Boise last year. Is it their fault they don't play in a spectacular conference? Is it their fault they can't schedule home and homes with people?

I would seriously think after the Fiesta Bowl last year that people would get their heads out of their butts.

Non BCS schools 2-0 in BCS games.

Boise won one game. in overtime. you really think they could hold up all year in a real confrence?

Ardmore_Sooner
12/2/2007, 04:32 AM
so, you think hawaii, with their sos of 119 out of 119, deserves to be in the natl championship more than OU,LSU,or USC?

I think if you took the time to read what he says is that its absurd that a team can go undefeated and not win the whole thing. College Football is the only sport where that can happen.

Until we have a system that gives those teams a shot, its stupid.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/2/2007, 04:33 AM
Boise won one game. in overtime. you really think they could hold up all year in a real confrence?

So you think BYU's 1984 National Title isn't legit?

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 04:34 AM
not in a 2 team playoff. 8 team? sure. give em a seed in it. but picture them in the sec or the b12.

i said that hawaii should get a shot in the event of playoffs eariler ardmore....

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 04:36 AM

As an undefeated, I think they deserve a shot. Of course, I don't think they're as good a team as OU, LSU or USC, so I'm torn.

Which is why I'm railing against the broken-*** system which doesn't accomodate OU, LSU, or USC handing them a loss prior to the National Championship Game :D

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 04:37 AM
As an undefeated, I think they deserve a shot. Of course, I don't think they're as good a team as OU, LSU or USC, so I'm torn.

Which is why I'm railing against the broken-*** system which doesn't accomodate OU, LSU, or USC handing them a loss prior to the National Championship Game :D

my point exactly

Ardmore_Sooner
12/2/2007, 04:37 AM
Boise won one game. in overtime.

You are right. I forgot. We had the lead for most of the game and gave it away at the end.......:rolleyes:

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 04:40 AM
You are right. I forgot. We had the lead for most of the game and gave it away at the end.......:rolleyes:

my point was was that boise had to pull out all the tricks. had to have all the perfect luck. just to barely win. i can recall 8 specific points in that game where if boise didnt get a td, or a 4th and 17, or a 4th and goal, or a 2pt. on that play. then the game was over. the chance of all those plays going theyre way is 1:100

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 04:40 AM

I don't think it should matter what anyone thinks.

I think that what they do on the field is what should matter. The system should be set up such that it's only possible to have one undefeated team at the end of the year, and if a team makes it there, that team should be the NC.

Otherwise, let's just drop the pretense of NC and go back to having conference and bowl champions.

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 04:42 AM
my point was was that boise had to pull out all the tricks. had to have all the perfect luck. just to barely win. i can recall 8 specific points in that game where if boise didnt get a td, or a 4th and 17, or a 4th and goal, or a 2pt. on that play. then the game was over. the chance of all those plays going theyre way is 1:100

That goes both ways you know. Are OU wins any less valid because we pull a fake punt, or absolutely have to score on a drive in order to win?

They won, fair and square. Nothing else matters.

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 04:43 AM
I don't think it should matter what anyone thinks.

I think that what they do on the field is what should matter. The system should be set up such that it's only possible to have one undefeated team at the end of the year, and if a team makes it there, that team should be the NC.

Otherwise, let's just drop the pretense of NC and go back to having conference and bowl champions.

i agree, but the thing is that no matter what, even if you theoretically, take away the NC. people will still claim it. so you have to crown someone anyway.

playoffs all the way.

nobcs.net

Ardmore_Sooner
12/2/2007, 04:44 AM

My point is that we didn't have a lead in REGULATION until the final minute. We were down by 9 going into the 4th quarter. Down by 18 at one point. We had to do everything right to even get back into the game.

We got dominated and embarrassed that game. Not to say they didn't have to play perfectly, but you act as if we led the whole game and they just snuck in to make it an OT game and win it like it was a fluke. We got totally outplayed for 59 minutes of the game.

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 04:45 AM
That goes both ways you know. Are OU wins any less valid because we pull a fake punt, or absolutely have to score on a drive in order to win?

They won, fair and square. Nothing else matters.

yes, but ou also handily beats good teams all the time.

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 04:46 AM
My point is that we didn't have a lead in REGULATION until the final minute. We were down by 9 going into the 4th quarter. Down by 18 at one point. We had to do everything right to even get back into the game.

We got dominated and embarrassed that game. Not to say they didn't have to play perfectly, but you act as if we led the whole game and they just snuck in to make it an OT game and win it like it was a fluke. We got totally outplayed for 59 minutes of the game.

what i meant by win in overtime was that they had to go to that extent to win. not that we gave it away. because we didnt.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/2/2007, 04:50 AM
We can all agree that LSU is still undefeated in regulation this year! :D

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 04:52 AM
yes, but ou also handily beats good teams all the time.

Does that really have anything to do with anything? OU beat some other good team some other time -- quite possibly, some other year -- so that makes our wins with tricksy plays more valid than Boise State's tricksy plays?

Come on man, that's bogus and you know it.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/2/2007, 04:53 AM
Shut up Vaevictis, that 2002 Mizzou game didn't count because of our fake field goal for a TD. Duh.

Leroy Lizard
12/2/2007, 05:12 AM

I'm all for that. Why don't we?

And at the end, if the AP wants to hold a vote and hand a trophy to the team which they think is best, fine.

But the Playstation generation won't stand for it.

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 05:15 AM
More like "The $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ conference leadership won't stand for it."