PDA

View Full Version : Matt Hayes joins Mark May...OU should be in title game!

PeoriaSooner
12/2/2007, 01:54 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AvdmidJKnZgPA54npH3oMMMcvrYF?slug=oklaho mauscshouldemergef&prov=tsn&type=lgns

colinreturn
12/2/2007, 01:57 AM
good article

meoveryouxinfinity
12/2/2007, 02:00 AM
& Jesse Palmer :D

rainiersooner
12/2/2007, 02:05 AM
Love to see us playing USC.

milesl
12/2/2007, 02:08 AM
Oklahoma, USC should emerge from BCS rubble
December 1, 2007

Matt Hayes

SAN ANTONIO -- What a fine, fabulous, fantastic, and -- you better believe it -- fortuitous mess we have here.

Deep breath, everyone. I promise, we can find two teams to play for the national title.

At about 10:40 p.m. CST, the last two dominoes in this unthinkable, unrealistic season fell: Pitt upset No. 2 West Virginia in Morgantown, W.V., and Oklahoma took a 28-14 lead on No. 1 Missouri to put the Big 12 championship game out of reach.

And now here we are. Three months after I-AA Appalachian State won at Michigan to begin this crazy ride, and we're no closer to figuring out who will play in the BCS championship game in New Orleans.

This, boys and girls, is the greatest season in college football history. Playoffs, schmayoffs; this is what it's all about.

Tomorrow, in offices and basements and airports all over the country, men and women will sit down at their computers and decide who will play for it all. What does the guy in Boise think, or the gal in New York? Or the former coach retiring in sunny South Florida?

What to do, what to do, what to do.

After witnessing a once-in-a-lifetime season; after 20 top 10 teams lost to unranked teams; after 13 top five teams lost; after -- I can't believe I'm writing this -- both Missouri and West Virginia lost with the finish line one measly game away, it's time to swallow hard and vote for the two best teams in the country.

Not the teams with the best losses. Not the teams who played best on the last weekend of the season. Not the teams who were slotted in spots that would allow them to naturally move up.

More BCS mess coverage
MU, WVU have BCS looking for answers
Missouri magic ends
West Virginia knocked out of contention
Who's in?
Ohio State is sitting pretty
LSU
Georgia
USC
Virginia Tech

The two best teams. Under those parameters, I'll take USC and Oklahoma. No two teams are playing better, no two teams deserve it more.

Go ahead, take your shots at me because USC lost to Stanford (which lost eight games), and because OU blew a 17-point lead to Colorado (which lost six games). Talk all you want, I've got an answer:

• Georgia? Lost at home to six-loss South Carolina, blown out in its only significant true road game of the season at Tennessee.

• Ohio State? Played one good team, lost the game. At home.

• LSU? Lost to two teams who combined to lose nine games. Les, babe, you lost to Kentucky and Arkansas. I say, Kentucky and Arkansas!

• Virginia Tech? Um, any team that loses by 41 doesn't play for it all.

• West Virginia and Missouri? Pfffft.

At this point, all we can do is use the two eyes the good Lord gave us and make a well-educated stab. That means a lot of ifs.

If the USC coaching staff had not suffered a brain freeze in the Stanford game and had played backup quarterback Mark Sanchez in the second half, the Trojans would not have committed four turnovers and given the game away. Then, the loss to Oregon isn't as damaging.

If Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford doesn't sustain a concussion on the first drive of a seven-point loss at Texas Tech, the Sooners are the hottest team in the country. That was the real OU dismantling the No. 1 team in the nation 38-17 in the Big 12 title game.

Deep into the fourth quarter, Missouri's vaunted offense -- which scored at least 31 points in each of the previous 12 games -- had 15 plays in the red zone. And got 15 yards.

No other team among the championship game contenders beat a No. 1. In fact, the best win by any of the other contenders was USC's win over then-No. 7 Arizona State. LSU and Georgia both beat then-No. 9 Florida.

What does it all mean? A lot of bellyaching for the foreseeable future.

But what a wonderful ride it has been.

adoniijahsooner
12/2/2007, 04:50 AM
This is a tease!

SOONER44EVER
12/2/2007, 05:01 AM
No 2 teams deserve it more? I can think of 4 or 5 that deserve it more than usc.

Octavian
12/2/2007, 05:05 AM
right now Oklahoma would beat any team in America.

We probably won't get a chance...but if we do, we'll win #8

Octavian
12/2/2007, 05:10 AM
from Matt Hayes...

No other team among the championship game contenders beat a No. 1. In fact, the best win by any of the other contenders was USC's win over then-No. 7 Arizona State.

olevetonahill
12/2/2007, 05:14 AM
Like any of those asswipes can make a diff .
we are where we are . Lets just Play to win it all next year !

SoonerAtKU
12/2/2007, 07:14 AM
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but some of those guys are sportswriters with votes in the poll...so they may, in fact, be able to make somewhat of a difference. I'd certainly agree that nobody is listening to Jesse Palmer, however.

stoopified
12/2/2007, 09:33 AM
This would apparently prove that Mark May is the first sucessful recepient of a human brain transplant.

Desert Sapper
12/2/2007, 10:18 AM
Herbstreit is only clamoring for LSU, because he knows tOSU could possibly beat them. He knows his beloved poisonous nuts would stand no chance against the Sooners. Everybody knows who the best team in the country is. But we won't get a chance to prove it.

Stoop Dawg
12/2/2007, 11:03 AM
But we won't get a chance to prove it.

You're a Hawaii fan?

76soonergrad
12/2/2007, 11:07 AM
At the end of the day, Herbstreit is a tool.

tOSU<LSU<OU. period.

jwlynn64
12/2/2007, 11:21 AM
If you vote tOSU in don't you have to vote Hawaii in as well? tOSU didn't beat any teams ranked in the top 25 (currently) where Hawaii beat one (BS was 25th in the last poll I think).

Poses an interesting delima I think.

KHS Sooner
12/2/2007, 11:37 AM
Mark May was wanting LSU and OHIO State in it earlier.

fadada1
12/2/2007, 11:48 AM
the fact that usc is even in this discussion makes me believe that sports writers should be put in prison. we lost 2 games - nobody is denying that. but at least we lost both games AWAY and to eventual bowl teams. usc.... YOU LOST TO STANFORD!!!!!!!!!!!! let me say that again for dramtic effect.... STANFORD!!!! stanford lost to notre dame!!!!!! notre dame wouldn't have been invited to play in the div. III playoffs!!!!! oh yeah... you lost to stanford.... AT HOME!!!!!!!!

bluedogok
12/2/2007, 11:55 AM
We were listening to ESPN Radio on the way back to Austin from SA last night and Freddie Coleman and Andy Gresh were saying that it should be OU-USC but they see a tOSU-VaTech game.

StoopTroup
12/2/2007, 06:07 PM
I saw Mark Mays say to Holtz and the other guy that he thought OU should be in the Title Game, while I was getting ready to hit the hay last night.

I'm guessing he hasn't seen the threads here on the board where we have said he's a dou~che. :D

Maybe he knows he is and just can't do anything about it.