PDA

View Full Version : Dear Jason Whitlock

milesl
12/2/2007, 12:54 AM
Here is the email that I sent to Jason Whitlock after the column he wrote that Stoops was scared to play the Tigers and mad that Pinkel got Daniels and Maclin instead of Stoops. I am actually a fan of Whitlock, but he was so off on this one. His column is under my email.

Jason
You and the rest of KC Star sports writers need to take off those rose colored glasses and stomp on them. Chase Daniels and the Tiger imploded against the Sooners in the 4th quarter last year and this year in the regular season. At the Big 12 championship tonight they imploded in the 3rd quarter. Pinkel and Daniels big lie has been exposed - it wasn't the Sooner's Defense, it was our silly mistakes.

As far as Stoops being hot because he missed out on Daniels and Maclin, well lets look at the stats shall we Jason ? Oklahoma's Patrick - 88 yards and 1 touchdown and Brown with 71 yards and 2 touchdowns. Missouri's Maclin 40 yards and Temple 26 yards and neither one made a touchdown. Now let's look at Missouri's Heisman quality quarterback against Oklahoma's freshman quarterback. Daniels threw one interception and no touchdowns, while the freshman threw 2 touchdowns and no interceptions.

Right now I am watching the Stoops press conference and he is making the pitch after beating the number 1 Tigers and dominating Daniels that the Sooners should be going to the National Championship and Bradford should be considered for the Heisman. Mr. Whitlock I think you should be making the same call in your next column.

A big fan of your
John

Posted on Fri, Nov. 30, 2007
Stoops and the Sooners sound scared
By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

Make sure you send Bob Stoops and the Oklahoma Sooners a thank-you note when this is over.

The arrogant, two-loss underachievers think they’re doing the Missouri Tigers a favor tonight by granting Chase Daniel and Co. a rematch.

When Stoops is right, I’m with him. Last year, incompetent, unethical officiating cost him a game at Oregon. He was right to complain, and I showed my support by disregarding the loss every time I filled out my AP top-25 vote.

But this week, Stoops and his coaching staff have gone overboard, sarcastically dismissing the notion that the Tigers took themselves out of the first Missouri-Oklahoma showdown with four turnovers.

Brent Venables, OU’s defensive coordinator, said he hopes the Sooners “luck” into another victory in tonight’s Big 12 Championship. Friday, at the pregame news conference, Stoops once again seemed perturbed when questioned about Missouri giving the game away.

“It’s just whatever perspective you want to take,” he said. “I mean, you can look at it different ways. The first interception we got the blitz on, pressure them. The ball goes right down the middle. Our guy makes a great cut right in front of the guy, intercepts the ball. Is that good defense or did they just give it to us? I don’t know.

“Their running back (Jeremy) Maclin, receiver, fabulous player, they run a quick sweep and they’re going to throw the ball. Most people suck up. Makes for a great highlight if we’re out of position and get fooled. But we stay in position, we’re over the top of them, underneath the receiver and intercept the ball. Is that good defense, good reaction or is that them giving it to us? Depends on how you want to write your article.

“So in the end, it doesn’t really matter. We had two turnovers, too. They take the lead in the fourth quarter when we drop a kickoff return. We fumble the ball and give them the ball in the short field. So we made our share of mistakes, as well. It’s just how you want to tell your story. That’s up to you to do.”

Well, here’s how I want to tell the story: Stoops and the Sooners are scared.

He’s the best coach in this league, and really had little competition for that honor. Mack Brown is a great recruiter and motivator. Stoops can outcoach Brown with his clipboard and headset tied behind his back. Texas is annoying, but Stoops can handle the Longhorns when there’s no Vince Young to contend with.

Nebraska’s program is in disarray. Bill Snyder retired, and the Wildcats are backing up. Texas A&M never seems to reach its full potential, and there’s no reason to believe Mike Sherman is going to change that. Kansas can win 11 games for the next 10 years and Stoops will never view the Jayhawks and Mark Mangino as threats. Stoops trained Mangino. Teachers rarely fear their pupils, and football teachers damn sure don’t fear a pupil stuck at a basketball school.

Mike Leach is a nut. He and Texas Tech are pesky, but they’ll never overthrow the king.

My point is Gary Pinkel and the Missouri Tigers are very, very dangerous. Pinkel went into Texas and stole Daniel, the Big 12’s best player. Daniel’s success, in my opinion, is more a slap at Stoops than Mack Brown.

Brown isn’t clever enough to see the potential in a Chase Daniel. Brown is a star-struck recruiter. He has Jeremy Crabtree and Rivals on speed dial. Stoops and his staff should’ve been all over Daniel.

And don’t think Stoops isn’t hot watching tape of Maclin. He was supposed to be a Sooner until Pinkel sweet-talked him into wearing black and gold.

Pinkel and Stoops, Oklahoma and Missouri are budding rivals. Stoops and Pinkel have similar aggressive coaching philosophies. They like trick plays. They’ll go for it on fourth down. They’re stubborn and cocky. They’re from Ohio.

Is Pinkel the equal of Stoops? No. Not yet anyway. If the Tigers win tonight and win the BCS title game, Pinkel will own just as many national titles as Stoops.

Stoops wants to put Pinkel and Missouri back in their place tonight, back where everyone else in the Big 12 is — looking up at Stoops and the Sooners. Stoops feels as if he’s already done it once this season, when the Sooners slapped Missouri by 10.

But sportswriters and the Missouri players believe the Tigers took themselves out of the first game with turnovers. No one believes, as far as I know, that Missouri should’ve won the first game. The belief is the teams are equal and Missouri didn’t give itself a chance to win.

I’ll admit that I’m wrong if the Sooners whip the Tigers tonight. I hope Stoops will acknowledge his error if the Tigers beat the Sooners.

Youngsooner
12/2/2007, 12:58 AM
I’ll admit that I’m wrong if the Sooners whip the Tigers tonight. I hope Stoops will acknowledge his error if the Tigers beat the Sooners.

Hmm..

Stitch Face
12/2/2007, 01:01 AM
Is Pinkel the equal of Stoops? No. Not yet anyway. If the Tigers win tonight and win the BCS title game, Pinkel will own just as many national titles as Stoops.

That's a lotta ifs.

Stoops wants to put Pinkel and Missouri back in their place tonight, back where everyone else in the Big 12 is — looking up at Stoops and the Sooners.

How's the view from down there, Tigers?

The belief is the teams are equal and Missouri didn’t give itself a chance to win.

This is so stupid I don't even know what it means. Who believes they're equals? No one anymore, that's for sure.

Stitch Face
12/2/2007, 01:06 AM
'We didn't lose, we just didn't give ourselves a chance to win!'

WTF?

That sounds like something Chase Daniel would say seeing his reaction to getting owned tonight.

TUSooner
12/2/2007, 01:19 AM
I'll be looking for Whitlock's retraction. :D

38-17 makes that article look really, really, really stupid

Paperclip
12/2/2007, 01:26 AM
Posted on Sat, Dec. 01, 2007
Tigers will learn from this

SAN ANTONIO | The only thing to do is tip your hat to Big Game Bob and his Oklahoma Sooners.

Don’t bury your head and wallow in sorrow.

Nope, this is a different sort of Missouri Tiger pain, an ache born of not being quite good enough rather than the victim of an unlucky bounce, poor officiating or a heroic last play.

Missouri’s run as the nation’s best football team lasted a week; its bid for the BCS championship crashed inside the Alamodome in the Big 12 title game.

The Tigers, for the second time this season, ran into a better team, a more mature program and arguably the country’s best coach, Big Game Bob Stoops.

Oklahoma 38, Missouri 17.

There’s nothing to whine about. And no reason to cry.

Bob Stoops proved the point he’d been making all week. Oklahoma’s 10-point, October victory over the Tigers was no fluke, no product of Missouri mistakes. Oklahoma, winner of six conference crowns under Stoops, is still the class of the Big 12. The Sooners proved that by demolishing the Tigers in the second half of Saturday night’s tilt, outscoring Mizzou 24-3 after the break.

But the Tigers are on the Sooners’ tail.

Yeah, I still believe that. And that’s why I say Tiger fans should hold their heads high today.

The Tigers will be back. They’ll get another shot at Big Game Bob and Oklahoma next year. This 11-win season is a harbinger of things to come. A team and a coach have to learn how to win, and then they have to learn how to win BIG.

This season was a learning process for Gary Pinkel and his players. It was their first appearance on the big stage, and unfortunately, they ran into a man and a program that have never strayed all that far from college football’s biggest stage.

You know the history of Oklahoma’s program, the seven national championships, the four Heisman Trophy winners and the legendary coaches, Owen, Wilkinson, Switzer and Stoops. Oklahoma’s players arrive on campus expecting to play for conference and national titles. Big games are no big deals. They’re used to the lights, the hype and the interview requests.

It was all new to the Tigers this year. Daniel leaped in the Heisman race, and the Tigers burst into the national-title picture out of nowhere. Not that they handled the attention poorly, but they’ll handle it better next season. And their play will elevate next season, too, when they expect to be here.

The same goes for Pinkel.

Toledo and the Mid-American Conference don’t really prepare you for a No. 1 ranking and a Saturday-night showdown with Big Game Bob with Herbstreit and Musberger second-guessing you from the booth.

Pinkel isn’t Urban Meyer, a prodigy backed by the best recruiting talent in the land. And Pinkel isn’t Bob Stoops, the right-hand man to Bill Snyder’s building of Kansas State into a power and the right-hand man to Steve Spurrier’s national title at Florida.

Stoops was groomed for the big stage. Pinkel is learning as he goes.

I expect him to come back next year with enhanced red-zone and short-yardage offensive packages. Unless you have a 230-pound, Tim Tebow-like quarterback to run the football, the spread breaks down terribly close to the goal line.

I offer no excuses, but Mizzou played Saturday’s game without the services of tight end Chase Coffman and no Danario Alexander in the second half. Coffman never touched the field because of an ankle sprain. Alexander appeared to hurt his knee late in the first half. He never returned. Their absences really hobbled Mizzou’s passing attack.

Ah, no excuses. The Sooners and Bob Stoops own the Big 12 … for now.

To reach Jason Whitlock, call 816-234-4869 or send e-mail to [email protected]. For previous columns, go to KansasCity.com.
© 2007 Kansas City Star and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved. http://www.kansascity.com

the_edge
12/2/2007, 01:34 AM
Man, this guy ****es me off. As if no Demarco Murray didn't hurt OU.

OU is 20 points better than Missouri anywhere and with any personnel.

BornandBred
12/2/2007, 01:39 AM
I love how people make excuses about missing players... Anyone mention the lack of our best RB in Murray?? No. We dominated, period. When Daniels is gone, Mizzou will go back to being the second best team in the B12.

SeattleOUstudent
12/2/2007, 02:24 AM
I love how people make excuses about missing players... Anyone mention the lack of our best RB in Murray?? No. We dominated, period. When Daniels is gone, Mizzou will go back to being the second best team in the B12.

Easy there, killer. There are a lot of people on this board that bring up Bradford missing from the Tech game. The rest of your argument is cool though :)

The Maestro
12/2/2007, 02:27 AM
FWIW, Whitlock did not miss the free buffet in the press box before the game.

The only exercise his fat *** gets is jumping to conclusions.

BornandBred
12/2/2007, 02:35 AM
Easy there, killer. There are a lot of people on this board that bring up Bradford missing from the Tech game. The rest of your argument is cool though :)
I meant B12 North, but drinking impairs the brain to keyboard interface. Anyways, we still had a chance to win that game if the review goes our way or Kelley makes a catch. And missing one of your two TE's is not the same as missing your starting QB. But I do see the hypocrisy. I'm ok with it, honestly...

jwlynn64
12/2/2007, 02:39 AM
Let's see, missing one of your Tight Ends and one Receiver for a half equals missing your starting QB for a game?

Good logic. :rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2007, 02:40 AM
FWIW, Whitlock did not miss the free buffet in the press box before the game.

The only exercise his fat *** gets is jumping to conclusions.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/large/office_space_kit_mat.jpg

The_Red_Patriot
12/2/2007, 03:00 AM
Thats one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.

Jewstin
12/2/2007, 05:10 AM
FREAKING OWNED.

Octavian
12/2/2007, 05:14 AM
Dear Jason,

We beat that *** again.

Just like we said we would.

Sincerely,

Oklahoma

Octavian
12/2/2007, 06:39 AM
P.S. No, really.

We whipped the #1 team in America just like we said we would.

Again.

Cordially,

Oklahoma

King Crimson
12/2/2007, 06:47 AM
Whitlock is a clown who realized that racism in America is his (in the great words of John Lennon) Ticket to Ride.

that said, racism is a serious issue.

AzianSooner
12/2/2007, 07:43 AM
Whoever is going to send an email to Mr. Jason Whitlock of KS writer, please add my node to your email please please. Below is the note:

P.S. from AzianSooner : "Mr. Whitlock, you are a mule's ***."

Wishboned
12/2/2007, 09:41 AM
Toledo and the Mid-American Conference don’t really prepare you for a No. 1 ranking and a Saturday-night showdown with Big Game Bob with Herbstreit and Musberger second-guessing you from the booth.

I didn't hear any second guessing. Until the 4th quarter all I heard was a lot of verbal fellatio going on in the announcers booth.