PDA

View Full Version : Bob's post-game comments

OKC-SLC
12/2/2007, 12:33 AM
Very interesting comments. Certainly is jockeying for a place in the MNC game.

-said several times that you guys (media) voted these guys #1, and we just beat them by 21 on a neutral field. and we beat them by 10 earlier this year.

-said why shouldn't we be considered for MNC game. other teams are sitting at home and we're beating the #1 team in the country by 21.

-when asked about the possibility of playing KU in the Fiesta Bowl--said he'd be happy to play against good friend Mangino, hopefully we wouldn't be there (implying by his tone that we'd hopefully be in NO)

-when asked if it was uncomfortable to be in a position to have to politick for a place in the NC game, Bob said it was...but that no one else had to play the #1 team in the country. :)

-btw, Lofton was asked if the team took it personally with all the MU comments of giving the game away, etc.--he said yes, that they took it as disrespect and we wanted to show.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2007, 12:37 AM
I told my buddy here watching with me that if OU ends up winning by 3 or more scores, they have to be considered for the MNC...Not gonna get any help from the media on that one

chad
12/2/2007, 12:41 AM
Good post game interviews.

Stoops is exactly right. It sucks having to politic, but that is what every team will be having to do. And it's true that the polls have been a joke and should be done from scratch for this final poll.

SoonerMom2
12/2/2007, 12:50 AM
I told my buddy here watching with me that if OU ends up winning by 3 or more scores, they have to be considered for the MNC...Not gonna get any help from the media on that one We probably won't even get help from the local OK media. Mark Rogers said in the post game it should be Ohio State (played 1-AA Youngstown State) and Georgia (couldn't make the SEC Championship game). Guy with him said tOSU and OU. Our media sucks for the most part!

Musburger who calls us the Boomer Sooners thinks it should be Hawaii who is getting beat by Washington, the power house team from the Pac 10 (sarcasm).

soonerinabilene
12/2/2007, 12:58 AM
And that is why being in texas is teh suc. What do i get when the game is over? my local news. No postgame coverage at all.

OU-HSV
12/2/2007, 01:02 AM
Nice. Go Bob!

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2007, 01:06 AM
And that is why being in texas is teh suc. What do i get when the game is over? my local news. No postgame coverage at all.

If Mizzou had won, we still would have been watching their post game reaction

BornandBred
12/2/2007, 01:09 AM
After removing my Crimson Glasses, I think it should be USC and tOSU playing in the MNC. It tastes like vomit to say that. But...

I have never seen a stronger argument for a playoff system than this year. Even a plus one doesn't satisfy in this situation. It would be freakin fantastic to see the top 8(or 16) play it out for all the marbles. Down with the BCS.

Soonerus
12/2/2007, 01:10 AM
Bob is lobbying, I do not know how effective it will be...

OKC-SLC
12/2/2007, 01:12 AM
actually i listened to it online at http://www.reachingmore.com/kkgm.HTM where the game is broadcast online.

I'm in Kansas City. Trust me, the channels here weren't broadcasting the postgame interviews from Bob.

rainiersooner
12/2/2007, 01:30 AM
After removing my Crimson Glasses, I think it should be USC and tOSU playing in the MNC. It tastes like vomit to say that. But...

I have never seen a stronger argument for a playoff system than this year. Even a plus one doesn't satisfy in this situation. It would be freakin fantastic to see the top 8(or 16) play it out for all the marbles. Down with the BCS.

The same USC that lost to Stanford? Wow.

Soonerus
12/2/2007, 01:32 AM
OU vs. Ohio State makes sense..

BornandBred
12/2/2007, 01:44 AM
The same USC that lost to Stanford? Wow.
Yup. They are healthy and look very good. Let's just say I don't want to play them.

mdklatt
12/2/2007, 01:45 AM
After removing my Crimson Glasses, I think it should be USC and tOSU playing in the MNC.

USC has fewer wins than OU, LSU, and VaTech (and KU, for that matter). USC has two wins over teams with a winning record. USC sucks hind tit this year.

BornandBred
12/2/2007, 01:50 AM
USC has fewer wins than OU, LSU, and VaTech (and KU, for that matter). USC has two wins over teams with a winning record. USC sucks hind tit this year.
Then I hope we jump them. But, they still look very good to me.

OK2U
12/2/2007, 01:53 AM
More post game comments from Stoops and players:
http://soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/120207aaa.html

The Maestro
12/2/2007, 01:56 AM
I think we should be there.

Having said that...Bob, be that ****ed at halftime at Colorado...and talk that tough to your team at halftime...and beat the Buffs when you have a 17 point second half lead.

Fraggle145
12/2/2007, 02:32 AM
Bob is lobbying, I do not know how effective it will be...

Apparently the only way your lobbying gets noticed is if you call in to the ESPN... see UGA, USC and LSU. all their head coaches called in and got a exclusive spot that left OU out. not saying it is bad or good just saying it ****ed me off that people who suck **** are getting rewarded for sucking ****.

Eielson
12/2/2007, 02:55 AM
The only reasonable matchup in the National Championship without OU would be Ohio State vs. LSU.

Eventhough USC has played well lately (not necessarily today), they really sucked it up in the first part of the season.

The_Red_Patriot
12/2/2007, 02:57 AM
If Mizzou had won, we still would have been watching their post game reaction

Yep, its 1:56 am right now....It still would be on Espn, Espn 2, Espn U, Big 12 Live and so forth.

Sorry the Sooners had to win yet another Big 12 title and ruin everything.

rubyspirit
12/2/2007, 03:05 AM
Good job Bob. I hope they listen and put us in the game.

SCOUT
12/2/2007, 03:17 AM
After removing my Crimson Glasses, I think it should be USC and tOSU playing in the MNC.
I would like to hear the rational argument supporting USC. I don't think we should be in the game necessarily, but USC sure as hell doesn't.

Aside from "playing good lately" I would like to hear a reason why any team that lost to Stanford should be considered the best in the country.

I should also mention that we just beat the #1 team in the country. That is playing pretty good lately too, no?

Fraggle145
12/2/2007, 03:37 AM
New Ivan Maisel link on politicking

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=3137617

SAN ANTONIO -- College football's national championship has turned into a political football, which may be why Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops sounded very much like a guy standing behind a lectern in a YouTube debate.

No. 9 Oklahoma had just defeated No. 1 Missouri 38-17 Saturday night in the Big 12 Championship Game at the Alamodome. In most seasons, an 11-2 record would get a team a lovely parting gift of a BCS bid. But in a season where no ranking is safe, it appears likely that a two-loss team will play for the national championship.

That explains why Stoops felt the need to point out that Oklahoma had defeated the top-ranked team in the nation by 21 points on a neutral field.

And point it out again.

And again.

And again.

And when the moderator wrapped up the press conference by asking Stoops if he wanted to make one more pitch, Stoops said it for a fifth time.

"Like everybody, I hear it all the time," Stoops said. "Who is playing the best today? Who played the best right now? Heck, I don't see anyone else playing No. 1 in the country, beating them on a neutral field by 21.

"That's about all I can do. Hopefully it matters to somebody."

Compared to the BCS system, the Iowa caucuses are as complicated as a student council election, and the task of the voters and the computers has been made ridiculously difficult this season by highly ranked teams that have refused to play that way.

College football closed out the regular season much like it played the previous three months. The No. 1 team, Missouri, lost by 21, and likely fell from the BCS Championship Game to the Cotton Bowl. The No. 2 team, West Virginia, lost to its archrival, Pittsburgh, 13-9, and became the 13th top-five team this season to lose to an unranked team.

Their losses turned the BCS standings into a game of chance. Several teams will make a case to play for the national championship, and hope that no one will see their flaw.

Ohio State moved from No. 5 to No. 3 last week by not playing. It's possible the Buckeyes will move from No. 3 to No. 1 this week by not playing. The Buckeyes may be hoping not to play Jan. 7 in order to win the national championship. After all, in 1920, Warren Harding won the presidency without leaving the front porch of his Ohio home.

Unfortunately for the Buckeyes, it's not 1920.

No. 4 Georgia and No. 5 Kansas hope to move up but they, unlike Ohio State, will suffer for not playing Saturday. Both teams are ranked higher than their conference champions, No. 7 LSU and No. 9 Oklahoma, respectively, an upside-down situation that the voters could rectify.

And don't forget No. 8 USC, which closed with a flourish.

Stoops admitted the absurdity of having to ask for votes.

"I don't like to sit here and boast and try to put it this way and explain the game," Stoops said. "I think all of us coaches are that way, that you are in an awkward position."

And with a comic's timing, Stoops said, "So I'll have one more try at it. No one else played the No. 1 team in the country tonight either."

The Sooners made their case Saturday night by old-schooling the Tigers. If the spread offense is Now, and Missouri ran its record to 11-1 by being the Now team, Oklahoma whipped Missouri with a whole mess of Then.

Oklahoma won by dominating the line of scrimmage, and by dominating the red zone. Take a look at the Sooners rushing numbers.

In the first quarter, they rushed four times for minus-one yard and trailed, 3-0.

In the second quarter, they rushed 10 times for 38 yards and a pair of Chris Brown touchdowns, and went into the half tied, 14-14.

In the third quarter, they rushed eight times for 60 yards and a touchdown, and Sam Bradford threw a five-yard touchdown pass off of play-action. The Sooners led, 28-14.

And in the fourth quarter, they rushed 18 times for 69 yards and, more important, controlled the ball for 12:11 in pulling away to victory.

Bradford completed 18-of-26 passes for 209 yards, but it's telling that seven of the completions, and both of his touchdown passes, went to tight ends Joe Jon Finley (5-34, one TD) and Jermaine Gresham (2-34, one TD).

"A couple of big plays loosened them up and really allowed us to start getting the ball downfield," co-offensive coordinator Kevin Sumlin said.

The other reason that Oklahoma dominated this game came inside the 20. In 11 games this season, Missouri had made 60 trips into the red zone, scoring 42 touchdowns and 12 field goals. On Saturday night, the Sooners limited the Tigers to one touchdown and three field goals.

"We got to turn them into touchdowns," said Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel. "Set up for field goals, it's great, but when they're scoring, we have to score as well.

Daniel came into the Alamodome with a chance to win the Heisman Trophy. He didn't take that chance home with him. Daniel completed 23-of-39 passes for 219 yards but failed to throw a touchdown for the first time this season, and threw an interception proved costly.

After Oklahoma moved ahead, 21-14, in the third quarter, Daniel's pass bounced off of tight end Martin Rucker's hand and into the arms of Oklahoma linebacker Curtis Lofton, who returned it 26 yards to the Missouri 7. Two plays later, the Sooners led, 28-14, and it was all over but the speechifying.

Lofton is one of the few Sooners who eyed his team's situation coldly. Asked to explain why Oklahoma should reach the Allstate BCS Championship Game, Lofton said, "I can't really make the case. We controlled our destiny a couple of weeks ago and we didn't seal the deal. I'll be happy wherever they put us. If they put us there, great. If not, we'll be happy where we go."

Oklahoma lost two weeks ago at Texas Tech, 34-27, when Bradford suffered a concussion early in the first quarter and didn't return.

"An excuse, yeah, but it's the truth," Stoops said. "So who is playing the best right now is what everybody likes to say. Well, we just played very well for the second time (don't forget, Oklahoma beat Missouri in October, 41-31) against the No. 1 team in the country that you all voted. So hopefully people, when they vote, that matters to them."

He's Bob Stoops, and he approves this message.

Ivan Maisel is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Send your questions and comments to Ivan at [email protected].

ultimatesooner1
12/2/2007, 04:23 AM
USCuks has 2 wins against teams with winning reords

SOONER44EVER
12/2/2007, 04:38 AM
Doesn't Stoops say every week how the polls don't matter? Just saying......:D

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2007, 04:46 AM

Yeah, but at least Bob admits he is just playing politics and feels awkward doing it. Which of course points out that all those other coaching calling into ESPN are doing that as well. He has to stand up for his guys - like the situation or not.

SOONER44EVER
12/2/2007, 04:49 AM
Yeah, but at least Bob admits he is just playing politics and feels awkward doing it. Which of course points out that all those other coaching calling into ESPN are doing that as well. He has to stand up for his guys - like the situation or not.
True. All I'm saying is that he says the polls don't matter when they obviously do.

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 04:57 AM

Well, except this week, they do. ;)

Maybe he just means all the OTHER polls don't matter? (which is true!)

SOONER44EVER
12/2/2007, 04:58 AM
Well, except this week, they do. ;)

Maybe he just means all the OTHER polls don't matter? (which is true!)
Not really. The other polls put u in position for this poll. :D

Vaevictis
12/2/2007, 05:06 AM
Hush! No criticism of THE BOB will be allowed on this night.

(save it for tomorrow, if you must)