PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Who plays in the MNC game now?

mdklatt
12/1/2007, 11:59 PM
If you focus on the number of wins instead of the number of losses it gets easier. Hawaii has 12 wins, but they're out of the discussion. Ohio State, VaTech, LSU, Kansas, and OU all have 11 wins. If you think only conference champions belong, KU is out. The Big 10++ is weaksauce, but Ohio State has fewer losses, so they're in. The ACC is weaker this year than the SEC or the Big 12, so LSU and OU probably belong in there. But I think this guy (http://www.slate.com/id/2178717/fr/flyout) has a point, so it doesn't really bother me that we'll probably get left out. Flip a coin, throw a dart, who cares. Crazy year.

birddog
12/2/2007, 12:02 AM
but the bcs works!

Cam
12/2/2007, 12:04 AM
It's going to be interesting to see how the voters see it.

My guess is Ohio State's in and the the other side is between LSU, USC, & OU.

After pummeling the # 1 team, I have to think some people are going to move OU up quite a bit.

KaiserSooner
12/2/2007, 12:07 AM
Yeah, that guy has a good point. It's like nobody wants to win the title. I have to say...and it may be a homer thing to say...Oklahoma damn well better get consideration.

BTW, Washington is up 2 TDs against Hawaii.

kevpks
12/2/2007, 12:07 AM
I am curious what the computers are going to do for/against us this week.

chad
12/2/2007, 12:08 AM
Espn has polls up on this very question

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=3273

Boomer Sooner. let OUr opinion known!

tbl
12/2/2007, 12:08 AM
As long as it's not LSU, I'll be fine. Seriously... I can't stomach those chumps getting in that way, simply b/c they won the almighty SEC. IF they do, I hope tOSU mops the floor with them.

It should either be OU, USC, or UGA. LSU can lick it...

LittleWingSooner
12/2/2007, 12:09 AM
OU and Ohio State.

LSU is not very good folks. They don't deserve the BCS game they'll go to much less an NC game.

mdklatt
12/2/2007, 12:12 AM
It's going to be interesting to see how the voters see it.

My guess is Ohio State's in and the the other side is between LSU, USC, & OU.

After pummeling the # 1 team, I have to think some people are going to move OU up quite a bit.

USC can have a tall cool glass of STFU. They only have 10 wins plus the worst loss by far of the three.

P.S. We were already favored to win--against the higher ranked team :rolleyes:--so who knows how much that's going to help us.

tbl
12/2/2007, 12:16 AM
BY FAR!!!! Stanford??? At home????

Come on...

mdklatt
12/2/2007, 12:21 AM
Oh goody, Pete ****ing Carroll gets a chance to whine on Sports Center now.

Shut up, Pete Carroll, you just shut up.

EDIT: He kept the jackassery to a minimum. Richt and Carroll had their say, are all the other contenders going to get a chance to make their case?? This is why you let the computers figure it out.

bstuff1979
12/2/2007, 12:21 AM
I'm almost, almost, as angry as I was after the Oregon debacle. ESPN/ABC folks are absolutely ignoring OU, only talking about a battle between UGA and LSU. THIS IS UNREAL! Hallelujah, Holy crap, where's the Tylenol?

Crucifax Autumn
12/2/2007, 12:23 AM
Either we're in or we need a playoff. PERIOD!!!!!

bringit
12/2/2007, 12:24 AM
OSU vs LSU

Take off the crimson-colored glasses folks.

BermudaSooner
12/2/2007, 12:26 AM
The only 2 1 loss teams (Hawaii doesn't count) - OSU vs KU. KU wins by losing to MU.

CORNholio
12/2/2007, 12:28 AM
The ESPN tards are talking like it's a foregone conclusion that it's LSU or Georgia vs OSU. Thats insane. Georgia should under no circumstances be allowed into this game. If they are gonna let a non division non conference winning team in, it should be Kansas. If you need to win your conference then between LSU, OU, USC period.

CORNholio
12/2/2007, 12:30 AM
If only tOSU had lost to Michigan....

toneful
12/2/2007, 12:30 AM
Georgia should under no circumstances be allowed into this game. If they are gonna let a non division non conference winning team in, it should be Kansas. If you need to win your conference then between LSU, OU, USC period.

Yeah, agree...but i can'd decide if a conference ch is a necesity. i think not. of course i thought not in '03.

TUSooner
12/2/2007, 12:31 AM
<rambling rant alert>
The sadness of it all - a great huge random steaming pile of dog poop:
WVU, with their classy coach and flashy running game, is OUT
OUr win helped OhSU and LSU- OhSU backs in, probably, and LSU STILL has a shot at an unfair and unthinkable HOME GAME in the BCSMNCG, which makes me want to vomit.

The BCS is STILL a "mythical" national championship
The idiocy of pollster voting is exposed (maybe that's good): All the ****heads who voted based on who "deserved" votes instead of who is the better team, are stuck with some absurd contenders:
Kansas who beat a lot of nobodies (no team they beat got votes in the rankings)
VaTech who got slaughtered by LSU
LSU who was "eliminated" twice by losing while #1 - and will now probably get a HOME GAME (I know I mentioned that already but it's so, so horrible it shuld be repeated)
USC who beat only 2 teams with winning records
UGA who didn't even make the SEC champ game
OhSU who is absolutely "backing in" in the worst way, having done nothing impressive all year except"'be" OhSU
I'm sure I left out some other travesties (like NO PLAYOFF when this season screams for one like no season ever has

Hawaii is looking pretty good right now :D

It's been a great college season except that nobody deserves to be #1. I'm so confused

I'm just happy OU won. That's good enough :D

Youngsooner
12/2/2007, 12:32 AM
Maybe the voters will vote us wayyy up there for technically beating the number 1 team twice. I think we have just as strong as an arguement as anyone

phead903
12/2/2007, 12:32 AM
Either we're in or we need a playoff. PERIOD!!!!!

Exactly.

I swear. It's not a matter of who's the better team, only a matter of who's the favored one.

bstuff1979
12/2/2007, 12:34 AM
OSU vs LSU

Take off the crimson-colored glasses folks.

WHAT? I mean, OU just whooooooooooooooped the #1 team. Let's take off the "I'm super fantastically unbiased" glasses. LSu and OU have arguments, but NOT UGA. To say that one would be sporting a bias if they were to say OU should be in the game...you must be an aggie.

MojoRisen
12/2/2007, 12:34 AM
I agree - Kansas or we have an argument....

Georgia no way - notta - no reason for the BCS just vote in the championship game...

Ike
12/2/2007, 12:36 AM
Oh goody, Pete ****ing Carroll gets a chance to whine on Sports Center now.

Shut up, Pete Carroll, you just shut up.

EDIT: He kept the jackassery to a minimum. Richt and Carroll had their say, are all the other contenders going to get a chance to make their case?? This is why you let the computers figure it out.

My official prediction: The next 24 hours (or however long it is before the polls are released...I never pay attention to that) will make the Demopublican primaries look like amateur hour at the Apollo as every coach of a top 25 team will do whatever it takes to get face time in the national press to bloviate about why his team deserves a shot at the title over all the other teams in an attempt to influence the human polls. Boosters will be trading phone numbers of poll voters as they try to buy as many votes as possible. This could be one of the most entertaining periods of time in the history of college sports, and there won't even be anyone on a field! What I wouldn't give to be a pollster right now. I could probably get a new house out of my vote this weekend.

SOONER44EVER
12/2/2007, 12:38 AM
The only 2 1 loss teams (Hawaii doesn't count) - OSU vs KU. KU wins by losing to MU.
EXACTLY!!!

mdklatt
12/2/2007, 12:38 AM
If you need to win your conference then between LSU, OU, USC period.

11 wins > 10 wins

USC can suck it.

A D Peterson28
12/2/2007, 12:39 AM
The number of games LSU just squeaked by shouldn't help them. If the voters look at the numbers (win margins, where played, etc.),, we might get some love--but I don't give them that much credit. Its too easy to throw UGA or LSU in. Bob made the case in his press conference...we'll see.

SoonerFanInAustin
12/2/2007, 12:40 AM
I personally think it will be Ohio St/LSU....not that I agree, but that's who I think it will be.

It is frustrating when you think, as already mentioned Ohio St hasn't beat anyone, in your bowl pools take whoever is playing Ohio St, with 2 months off, they will get worked.
LSU - the have 2 losses just like us, but what about their 3 last minute wins. I'm sure most voters don't pay attention to that, but LSU scored with 1:09 left to beat Fla 28-24. Two weeks later they scored with :01 left to beat Auburn 30-24. The very next week they had the rally against Alabama and scored with 1:26 left to win 41-34. Then they only won by 7 today. This team was almost a 5 loss team. They will be tough to beat in the Sugar Bowl.

USC- All I have to say about them...I know the BCS can't look at spreads, but no team that is a 41 pt favorite and loses should be able to play for the title. Plus Stanford is 3-6 pending on what they do tonight.

Va Tech - May beef with them, they lost to the 2 best teams they played (LSU and BC). Even though they should have beat BC the first time and they got them back in the revenge game today.

My homer pick, the boys. We crushed the #1 team on a neutral site (the 2nd time we beat them. We didn't need any last minute heroics. The media will not give us the votes we deserve, but most voters will remember we backed door our way into the Sugar Bowl 4 yrs ago. Plus we lost the last 2 times we played for the Crystal, so they will remember that too. The other negative, both teams we lost to are not ranked

Just my thought and rundown on the top teams.

BTW - I know we lucked out 4 yrs ago, but Kansas and Georgia should not be considered for the title, they didn't even when their division, much less their Conf.

TUSooner
12/2/2007, 12:44 AM
The team that's screwing this all up is OhSU. Timidity and dullness are rewarded.
It would serve them right to get slaughtered by LSU. I can't pull for LSU (it's pathological) but I won't cry after OhSU gets exposed for being the rank pretenders they are.

TUSooner
12/2/2007, 12:49 AM
You KNOW this season and this world are totally effed up when I defend LSU :D
But arguments about how "they won ugly and late" are PURE CRAP.
THEY FOUND A WAY TO WIN THOSE GAMES.
I'd take ugly wins like our Iowa St game over our losses at Colo and TT any day, and so would you.

mdklatt
12/2/2007, 12:52 AM
The BCS is STILL a "mythical" national championship

Even the BCS commissioner wouldn't argue otherwise, but it's an improvement over the previous system. Or at least it was supposed to be, but they keep "fixing" it so that the computer polls--the improvement--have less and less influence. A situation like this year is exactly why you let the computers try to sort it out, because there's no the human voters can do it justice.

Here's my proposal. Let the computers figure it all out, but human intervention for specifically enumerated situations that the computers can't resolve. For example, if you want a written rule that excludes conference non-champions...but you can just build that into the computer rankings.

mdklatt
12/2/2007, 12:55 AM
The number of games LSU just squeaked by shouldn't help them. If the voters look at the numbers (win margins, where played, etc.),, we might get some love--but I don't give them that much credit. Its too easy to throw UGA or LSU in. Bob made the case in his press conference...we'll see.

It was a big mistake to remove margin of victory from the computer rankings.

Ike
12/2/2007, 01:01 AM
It was a big mistake to remove margin of victory from the computer rankings.
I agree...they wanted to do away with running up the score. Instead of just doing away with MoV, they could have simply had the computers only see things in terms of 'close', 'not close' and 'blowout', such that it wouldn't matter if you only won 55-10 instead of 77-0.

BuckyB
12/2/2007, 01:03 AM
Sorry, I'm a nu-jack. What does MNC stand for?

Boomer.....
12/2/2007, 01:04 AM
If we don't get in, I pray to God that LSU doesn't either!

soonerinabilene
12/2/2007, 01:13 AM
This is a pointless arguement fellas. Because an undefeated team is not available, and because there will be a two loss team playing for the championship, and because of the value of the yen compared to the euro, the MNC for this year goes to Bama.

If LSU gets in and wins, Bama gets two because of the Saban equation, which in simple terms is Saban used to coach there, so it counts.

Now excuse me. Im off to coach my damn strong football team in a championship game on Xbox.

mdklatt
12/2/2007, 01:23 AM
I agree...they wanted to do away with running up the score. Instead of just doing away with MoV, they could have simply had the computers only see things in terms of 'close', 'not close' and 'blowout', such that it wouldn't matter if you only won 55-10 instead of 77-0.

One of the polls capped the MOV at 21 points. I might bump that up a TD or so, but that was a good compromise.

Things the computers should take into account:

margin of victory
road vs. home
strength of schedule (based on the latest rankings, not the ranking at the time you played a given team)
number of wins, with number of losses as a tie breaker

EDIT:

What the computers should really do is a multivariate regression analysis using the results of all games to date for a given season, since what we really want is a predictive model. Discuss.

mdklatt
12/2/2007, 01:25 AM
Damn, USC only has two wins over teams with a winning record. WEAKSAUCE. I will pitch a fit if they get in.

jps
12/2/2007, 01:26 AM
Well for all you Mark May haters, he just said that we should be in the championship game citing one loss on the road and another with our starting qb out. Also, cited that we beat the #1 team.

LittleWingSooner
12/2/2007, 01:28 AM
LSU does not have a good argument for a BCS game IMO.

They lost twice including once at home late in the season.

They trailed Tulane for about a half.

Ole Miss gave them a game late in the year.

A bad Alabama team gave them all they wanted.

Auburn gave them all they wanted at home also. Auburn is a team they should beat soundly.

An average Tenn team had them beat for most of the game. Anyone that watched the game knows Tenn is better than LSU. Tenn just gave LSU the game with 2 bad passes.

They had a pretty healthy team for most of these games.

mdklatt
12/2/2007, 01:34 AM
Also, cited that we beat the #1 team.

Eh. They were #1 by default. They're definitely a Top 10 team, but if they were really the best team why were we favored to beat them? Still, we have two victories over a Top 10 team, including one on a neutral field.

LSUdeek
12/2/2007, 01:35 AM
They had a pretty healthy team for most of these games.

:rolleyes:

SOONER44EVER
12/2/2007, 01:42 AM
You KNOW this season and this world are totally effed up when I defend LSU :D
But arguments about how "they won ugly and late" are PURE CRAP.
THEY FOUND A WAY TO WIN THOSE GAMES.
I'd take ugly wins like our Iowa St game over our losses at Colo and TT any day, and so would you.
I'll take losses on the road over losses at home any day.
I'll take a loss when the starting QB is hurt over a loss when the starting QB is playing any day.
LSU lost TWICE while they were ranked #1. Why do they deserve a third shot at it?

mdklatt
12/2/2007, 01:49 AM
LSU lost TWICE while they were ranked #1. Why do they deserve a third shot at it?

I think anything but the final rankings are worthless, but you've got a point. Screw LSU! VaTech or OU against Ohio State.

chad
12/2/2007, 01:49 AM
While of course OU is my #1 pick

I'd much rather see KU or Georgia in the NC game than LSU.

Reasons: LSU really doesn't deserve to be there, and having KU or Georgia in would be a great reason for a playoff, but would most likely net a +1 system.

I actually don't even think OSU should be included in the NC game, but have a feeling that is what will be voted.

If only WV won, so we didn't have to do this.

SoonerFanInAustin
12/2/2007, 10:08 AM
For what it is worth, we made up a lot of ground on LSU in the Sagarin Computer Poll. We we #13 last week. The new poll has us #3. LSU is #2 and they were #8. So we made up some ground. Computers were killing us. If we can make up that much ground in all computers, we may have a small chance.

Plus, think about the USA Today Poll. Last week LSU was only 8 pts ahead us. It will be interesting how that poll shakes out. Based on how the two teams looked yesterday, we should make up a lot of ground. But again, I am a Sooner Fan.... BOOMER !!!

In the Harris Poll, we were 80 pts behind, with a 100 some odd voters. So again, if we can make up some ground. I think Kansas and Georgia will be left out of this equation. Sorry Kansas, you got beat by Mizzu the week before and we beat them by 3 TD's the next week.

Needless to say, it will be interesting the next 10 hrs......

The Maestro
12/2/2007, 10:11 AM
For what it is worth, we made up a lot of ground on LSU in the Sagarin Computer Poll. We we #13 last week. The new poll has us #3. LSU is #2 and they were #8. So we made up some ground. Computers were killing us. If we can make up that much ground in all computers, we may have a small chance.

Plus, think about the USA Today Poll. Last week LSU was only 8 pts ahead us. It will be interesting how that poll shakes out. Based on how the two teams looked yesterday, we should make up a lot of ground. But again, I am a Sooner Fan.... BOOMER !!!

In the Harris Poll, we were 80 pts behind, with a 100 some odd voters. So again, if we can make up some ground. I think Kansas and Georgia will be left out of this equation. Sorry Kansas, you got beat by Mizzu the week before and we beat them by 3 TD's the next week.

Needless to say, it will be interesting the next 10 hrs......

Thanks for the info...you gotta link for that stuff? I'd like to look it over.

SoonerFanInAustin
12/2/2007, 10:19 AM
Last week's rankings:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings?week=7

This week's Sagarin:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt07.htm

rubyspirit
12/2/2007, 10:45 AM
OU vs. OSU ... its only fair.

texas bandman
12/2/2007, 11:02 AM
OU vs. OSU ... its only fair.
And it will end just like the game we played against OSU last week...BLOWOUT BABY! :)