PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Brent Venables!

SoonerBBall
12/1/2007, 11:55 PM
Thank you for proving the bandwagoners dead f*cking wrong. I hope we can keep you at OU forever.

soonerhubs
12/2/2007, 12:00 AM
Brent,
Anyone that doubts your coaching certainly pays no attention to big games like this one. Well done, and STAY HERE!

Sooner Eclipse
12/2/2007, 12:04 AM
Here, Here!!!!!

Brent gameplanned the stuffing outta Mizzou. Great game. Great, exciting, agressive D.

OzarkSooner
12/2/2007, 12:11 AM
IN!!!!

Widescreen
12/2/2007, 12:13 AM
He dumped the prevent. This was our best defensive performance of this year IMO.

Charla
12/2/2007, 12:15 AM
Now if we can just play like that against Tech, We might be able to put a NC trophy next to the Conf. trophy. We know that we got the kids to play great, we still have to be more consistent to get where we need to be.

Octavian
12/2/2007, 12:15 AM
One of the best Oklahoma defensive performances of the decade.

Kudos to Venables and Stoops.....they schemed like champs!

Octavian
12/2/2007, 12:18 AM
Now if we can just play like that against Tech, We might be able to put a NC trophy next to the Conf. trophy. We know that we got the kids to play great, we still have to be more consistent to get where we need to be.

While that's a valid point I agree with....that doesn't matter right now.

Stoops just beat the #1 team in America for his 5th Big XII championship. The coaches prepared great and the guys executed very, very well.

Our fanbase should just enjoy this.

PLaw
12/2/2007, 12:18 AM
Best game in a couple of years for the D. Great, great job with a super game plan by the coaches and perfect execution by the players.

This One is for yOU BRENT

BOOMER

KHS Sooner
12/2/2007, 12:20 AM
Heres to Brent staying here years to come. :D

SoonerBOI
12/2/2007, 12:22 AM
God bless you Brent.

Boomer.....
12/2/2007, 12:22 AM
Amen!

OKC-SLC
12/2/2007, 12:23 AM
One of the best Oklahoma defensive performances of the decade.

Kudos to Venables and Stoops.....they schemed like champs!
I agree. I would say that this is the best defensive performance that a Venables D has had.

toneful
12/2/2007, 12:24 AM
Good job Brent. Congrats.

Crucifax Autumn
12/2/2007, 12:27 AM
We kicked ***....we are the best team in the nation. Too bad we won't get to show it.

toneful
12/2/2007, 12:27 AM
Good job Brent. Congrats.

FirstandGoal
12/2/2007, 12:30 AM
Our D just made a very potent offense look hapless. Holding MU to just 17 points in this game was truly amazing and I agree with the praises being given to BV.

The_Red_Patriot
12/2/2007, 03:08 AM
FIRE VENABLES!!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The next time we hear this can we please ban that person?

Seriously.....if what you saw tonight did not please you then may you die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.

Would you like a cookie???

msteudem
12/2/2007, 03:13 AM
I think we gave up too many points. ;) :D

Great job BV! BOOMER SOONER!!!!!

Curly Bill
12/2/2007, 03:16 AM
As someone who has previously been critical of BV I will say that this was a masterful job he did tonight. Of course now I'm going to expect OUr "D" to play like that all the time. :D

SoonerBacker
12/2/2007, 03:17 AM
I never understood the anti-Venabales crowd. I hope this will shut em up, at least for awhile!

NYC Poke
12/2/2007, 03:23 AM
Excellent halftime adustments. It's hard to digest the complaints.

Octavian
12/2/2007, 03:58 AM
This should be bumped.

OU absolutely pwned Missouri.

Brent Venables = stud.

SOONER44EVER
12/2/2007, 04:31 AM
This year we player 5 teams who are in the top 15 in total offense, 6 if you count playing Missouri twice. We are 8th in Rush D, 68th in Pass D, 18th in Total D and 9th in scoring D. No other top 25 team even played 4 teams that were in the top 15 in total offense. Great job Brent!

Octavian
12/2/2007, 05:01 AM
This year we player 5 teams who are in the top 15 in total offense, 6 if you count playing Missouri twice. We are 8th in Rush D, 68th in Pass D, 18th in Total D and 9th in scoring D. No other top 25 team even played 4 teams that were in the top 15 in total offense. Great job Brent!

co-sign.

Jewstin
12/2/2007, 05:28 AM
Agreed. BV called a helluva game.

KantoSooner
12/2/2007, 05:43 AM
Mizzou and vaunted 'spread' = 8 yards total O in the fourth quarter?!?

that is an insane stat.

olevetonahill
12/2/2007, 05:50 AM
Some times the Stars align and shat just works Great .
tonight was one of those
Kudos to all of our coaches !

HopeSpringsEternal
12/2/2007, 06:10 AM
They played a good game, no doubt about it. But one freakin' game in 4 damn years and you guys are dangling from his scrotum??? If he keeps it up, fantastic. If he goes back to his normal routine let someone hire the guy.

SoonerBBall
12/2/2007, 06:12 AM
Some times the Stars align and shat just works Great .
tonight was one of those
Kudos to all of our coaches !

Sometimes the stars align? That is probably the most backhanded, half-compliment I've heard paid to the team yet.

There wasn't an ounce of luck, fate, or "stars align" out there tonight. We took the best Missouri had and it wasn't sh*t. We came out there and put a straight up ***-beating on them. And that was along with over 100 yards in penalties and very few things going right for us in the first quarter.

SoonerBBall
12/2/2007, 06:14 AM
They played a good game, no doubt about it. But one freakin' game in 4 damn years and you guys are dangling from his scrotum??? If he keeps it up, fantastic. If he goes back to his normal routine let someone hire the guy.

BV's coaching record to date proves this statement to be grossly inaccurate. Thanks for playing, though, and don't let the door hit you in the ***, etc, etc.

olevetonahill
12/2/2007, 06:21 AM
Sometimes the stars align? That is probably the most backhanded, half-compliment I've heard paid to the team yet.

There wasn't an ounce of luck, fate, or "stars align" out there tonight. We took the best Missouri had and it wasn't sh*t. We came out there and put a straight up ***-beating on them. And that was along with over 100 yards in penalties and very few things going right for us in the first quarter.

Chill bro
Did we have any Major Injuries ? I dont think so .
OUR stars aligned to Over come tose 100 yrds worth of penalties , All the Miscues you are talkin about , And then Promptly handed them thereasses
Yup I think every thing worked out Great
Them Stars Ligned up Great . Ya know Sam , AP, CB,CL, RS,NH , and those other guys !:D

olevetonahill
12/2/2007, 06:23 AM
Ya know I think theres a reason that after only 8 posts you are so red your:O Me
But I aint gonna read the other 7 to find out . :rolleyes:

AzOU
12/2/2007, 07:41 AM
Have to admit - I've been frustrated with BV's somewhat safe schemes now and then, in games where our players repeatedly look out of position to make a play or we rush three and play that soft prevent that prevents absolutely nothing.
But gotta hand it to the OU D tonight. Goal line stands, open-field tackles, QB pressure, turnovers. Great game plan, BV. We love the aggressive (and yet not QUITE so aggressive that we over-pursue and get killed on reverses, etc), swarm-to-the-ball attitude on display all night long.

Can't wait to see more of the same in Glendale in a month or so!

AzianSooner
12/2/2007, 07:48 AM
I like Brent defense scheme today. But, I still support Brent to upgrade his skill to the best DC in this country. What I mean is that he needs to study hard for building the best wonderful (and some new) defensive scheme next year to be prepare for OU NC run 2009

soonersn2007
12/2/2007, 07:57 AM
I thank Brent for running a aggressive scheme in the secondary, he has been deserving of the criticism he has received. This game proved that soft D is a recipe for disaster and we have the talent to play at the line with receivers.

But I would like to thank the players even more, those guys were playing with fire every single play. :hot:

UTsucks
12/2/2007, 08:10 AM
It was the OL D of 2000..........Very nice to watch.

Petro-Sooner
12/2/2007, 08:28 AM
He dumped the prevent. This was our best defensive performance of this year IMO.

Absoletly!!!!

rmssooner
12/2/2007, 09:53 AM
Great Game!!! I loved the way the defense ran to the ball and totally destroyed missouri.

Great play calling on both ends but the finest defensive game in quite a while!!

BOOMER SOONER!!!

Choctaw
12/2/2007, 10:17 AM
This was our best defensive performance of this year IMO

Simply the best defense in years. They were freaking amazing last night.

wishbonesooner
12/2/2007, 10:27 AM
I've been critical at times as well. I tip my hat to BV and his staff. You have to admit that was a very different scheme than we've run in quite some time, and it showed big time. Many of us that have been critical have asked why we have played so passive, last night showed what our D can do when it's motivated and gameplanned aggressively. That used to be our MO in every game, and I hope it's back to stay.

stoopified
12/2/2007, 10:28 AM
I have always had faith in you,BV.That sets me apart from many people around here.

tulsaoilerfan
12/2/2007, 10:56 AM
Simply the best defense in years. They were freaking amazing last night.
The last 2 games have been amazing; the D has played with a fire in their bellies we haven't seen in quite a while while holding two very good offenses way under their yardage averages and points averages:D

zeke
12/2/2007, 11:06 AM
Absolutly GREAT JOB

Pigface1
12/2/2007, 11:22 AM
Venables let 'em loose last night. That defense was fun to watch.

The coaches called the game in a great way. :D

Johnny Utah
12/2/2007, 11:24 AM
I admit I've been suspect of the D for awhile, however last nights performance was a "pleasure to behold"! Based on what I saw it was if the plan was to take away all of the "weapons" MU didn't have in the 1st game, and to make Daniels beat us by himself. Well, that didn't/couldn't happen and he in effect imploded, seemingly blaming the rest of his team through his apparent frustration. Great game Sooners!

NYSooner1355
12/2/2007, 11:33 AM
While that's a valid point I agree with....that doesn't matter right now.

Stoops just beat the #1 team in America for his 5th Big XII championship. The coaches prepared great and the guys executed very, very well.

Our fanbase should just enjoy this.

2 things:

1) A buddy of mine called from NY asking about this game (he was looking to put money down)...I told him if our defense is "on" it won't be close, I did not think they would be able to stop our offense - give the points...

2) I F***ing hate the rankings BS - so what we beat the so-called #1 team, they were only #1 by default of all the other teams losing ahead of them and an obviously overrated KU team...there are 3 legitimate contenders right now for the NC (imo: OU/USC/LSU) along with one default that will be going;tOSU and a handful of others that could do damage in a playoff system...the rankings system is no longer relevant to determining the best team in the land (I don't know if and when it was). A playoff system is the only way to go...we would at least have a chance to keep playing for the championship...arrgghh...

sorry for the rant...

Socrefbek
12/2/2007, 11:42 AM
I never understood the anti-Venabales crowd. I hope this will shut em up, at least for awhile!

His praises will be sung .... until the next loss :confused:

Collier11
12/2/2007, 03:42 PM
His praises will be sung .... until the next loss :confused:

Exactly! BV is a Great Def Coord, not good but Great! HE is top 10 in America Great! Yea, its ok to criticize from time to time and sometimes it seems our scheme struggles when it shouldnt, but you show me one Def coordinator whose Defense hasnt been lit up at times this year, yet the most points we have given up is 34, but no one has played more top 10 offenses in the country than OU yet we still have a top 10 D! We held Tex to 21, ok st to 17, mizzou to 17 the second time around, and some would argue that Tech probably wouldnt have put up near the 34 that they scored if we would have ran the ball when SB went out! Great Job BV and I for one hope the guys sticks around for a while!

Collier11
12/2/2007, 03:45 PM

DUMBEST POST EVER!!! I game in 4 years, get lost!! :rolleyes:

MextheBulldog
12/2/2007, 03:47 PM
Great job by the defense last night. Truly a championship performance.

Dan Thompson
12/2/2007, 03:50 PM
I think that was the best defense I've seen all year by any team, I watch three or four games each Saturday and have seen some of the games played during the week.

Great job getting away from the prevent defense.

mikeb
12/2/2007, 04:07 PM
I think Arkansas is going to try and take him.

Soonerborn03
12/2/2007, 04:28 PM
The thing I noticed more than anything else was the hitting. That was the hardest hitting OU defense I've seen since 2000 when we had Roy, Jones, and Marshall who could really lay a shot on somebody.

They've done a lot of diving at ankles this season, but somebody lit a fire under their *** last night. They were going for big hits all night.

aero
12/2/2007, 07:55 PM
BV called a great defense and the defense played extremely well. I loved the pressure CD had on him all night. Seems like they only handled the blitz on a few plays. The rest of the time CD was either getting nailed or scrambling. They tried to go quick outs which just kept the receivers in front of us and the D did a great job of containment and tackling. The D was reading the plays very well (good coaching). I'm sure it was helpful having English back in. He is awesome even when not 100%.

mightysooner
12/2/2007, 09:57 PM
One great defensive performance makes Venables a god now? That's alarming. I don't think so.

I'm Venable's biggest critic and I give him full kudos for a masterfully coached game last night and he deserves that. BUT.....I can't deny I sat there watching my team's D rip people's heads off, play with attitude and fire as well as playing disciplined football, and I couldn't help but wonder where this has been all year? And last year? I expect our defense to play well every game because we have the talent to do so, not just every other game.
I give Brent all accolades for his performance last night. But one well coached game doesn't make Venables a coaching god by any means. Having his defense play at that level last night only shows they've underperformed many times this season for their talent level.

SoonerBBall
12/2/2007, 10:20 PM
One great defensive performance makes Venables a god now? That's alarming. I don't think so.

I'm Venable's biggest critic and I give him full kudos for a masterfully coached game last night and he deserves that. BUT.....I can't deny I sat there watching my team's D rip people's heads off, play with attitude and fire as well as playing disciplined football, and I couldn't help but wonder where this has been all year? And last year? I expect our defense to play well every game because we have the talent to do so, not just every other game.
I give Brent all accolades for his performance last night. But one well coached game doesn't make Venables a coaching god by any means. Having his defense play at that level last night only shows they've underperformed many times this season for their talent level.

I keep wishing that posters like you aren't terminally stupid, and you keep dashing those wishes to pieces.

It isn't just one well coached game, it is every well coached game since BV got here. Remember, BV and Mike Stoops were co-DCs, so all of you on Mike Stoops' jock have to give Brent credit for those wins too. We are currently a Big 12 dynasty and that doesn't happen with a mediocre DC.

L2football plz.

mightysooner
12/2/2007, 10:30 PM
I keep wishing that posters like you aren't terminally stupid, and you keep dashing those wishes to pieces.

It isn't just one well coached game, it is every well coached game since BV got here. Remember, BV and Mike Stoops were co-DCs, so all of you on Mike Stoops' jock have to give Brent credit for those wins too. We are currently a Big 12 dynasty and that doesn't happen with a mediocre DC.

L2football plz.

If Venables were that highly respected nationally as a DC, he wouldn't be here any longer. How's that for stupid? Ask Bo Pellini what the job prospects are like for really good defensive coordinators.

Seems this title game victory has people all high on the sweet nectar of victory in proclaiming Venables godlyness. His performance record doesn't support that. Facts are facts.

SoonerBBall
12/2/2007, 11:09 PM
If Venables were that highly respected nationally as a DC, he wouldn't be here any longer. How's that for stupid? Ask Bo Pellini what the job prospects are like for really good defensive coordinators.

Seems this title game victory has people all high on the sweet nectar of victory in proclaiming Venables godlyness. His performance record doesn't support that. Facts are facts.
Ask Mike Stoops about those great "job prospects". Being a HC and being a DC are completely different, and trying to equate being a good DC with being a good HC is pretty stupid. It works out for some and not for others, but it isn't correlated to any great degree.

Really though, Bo Pellini? That is your measuring stick?

Here is Bo Pellini's college coaching record:

2003 Nebraska, 10-3, Alamo Bowl (def. Michigan State, 17-3 – interim head coach)
2004 Oklahoma, 12-1, Orange Bowl (lost to USC, 55-19)
2005 LSU, 11-2, Peach Bowl (def. Miami, 40-3)
2006 LSU, 11-2, Sugar Bowl (def. Notre Dame, 41-14)
2007 LSU, 11-2, Sugar Bowl (tba)

So he's won a single Big 12 championship in 2004 (with players that he didn't even help recruit) and a single SEC championship this year. Wow, that is so impressive. Brent has 5 conference championships and a national championship. Amazingly, Pellini was co-DC in that disgusting loss to USC that everyone likes to pin on Brent and our defense.

So all in all, your comparison is pretty damn bad at best.

Actually, I take that back. It is just flat out stupid.

goingoneight
12/2/2007, 11:18 PM
I don't think you guys realize that BV didn't change his scheme at all for that game. It just fits Missouri's style of offense. They have an easy-to-read running game they chuck the ball around to move the chains. We beat OSU in the exact same way we beat Mizzou now. You do that by minimizing turnovers, manage the clock by executing the run and play prevent defense to make them earn their yards instead of over-blitzing and letting them score in ten seconds or less.

I like BV for his recruiting and the fact that he takes a lot of unnecessary **** from the "fans" with a grain of salt. Face it, four years of this defense may not have gone undefeated, but we're still racking up BIG 12 Champeenships and playing in BCS 'Boles.'

Defense first. Play smart and sound, make them earn their yards if they're going to get any at all on you. Next, manage the game and don't give them oppurtunities to take your momentum.

goingoneight
12/2/2007, 11:23 PM

How's this for stupid?

Bo Pelini got jobbed for Bill Callahan, sucked at OU and went on to work for Les Miles. Wouldn't YOU bail ASAP if you were offered a great job away form Miles?

Brent Venables has five conference titles, an MNC ring, and works for easy-going and respected Bob Stoops. He's paid among the best in the country for an assistant coach. Year in and out, he declines HC offers because he's dedicated to OUr program.

Now... tell me again what your point was? Oh, wait... you didn't have one.

Curly Bill
12/2/2007, 11:32 PM
Year in and out, he declines HC offers because he's dedicated to OUr program.

Could you provide us with a list of those offers?

...and I don't mean chances to go interview, I mean the actual job offers of which you speak.

MI Sooner
12/2/2007, 11:46 PM
Whether it was the players playing with more emotion or concentration, or a revised defensive scheme, I wasn't sitting there thinking, "Wow BV is the best D-Coordinator in the country," I was thinking, "Why can't we get these results more often?"

I view BV a lot like I viewed Sampson. We could do a lot worse, but I don't think he's the best in the country. However, I think he and the defense have taken too much blame for our losses and close wins. Our offense didn't help against CU, TTU, and ISU.

The problems I've seen recurring on defense are blown coverages and too many third-and-long conversions allowed. One game (where we still gave up too many 3rd and longs, IMO) isn't going to change my opinion of what I've seen over nine years. Just like one bad game wouldn't.

It'll be interesting to see us match up against WVU. Similar offense, but better at running than passing.

Charla
12/3/2007, 12:09 AM
I don't think it is asking to much to expect the same product that was displayed last night on OUr defensive side. I do agree to be the DC at OU is a better job than 90% of the head jobs in D1, I'm sure we are making sure that coach is well compensated for that as well. I think we should get top notch performance for top notch pay. If winning conf. championships is good enough for the people than that is more than likely be all that they will get. You don't always get what you pay for, but you will always only get that as which you are willing to settle for.

cccasooner2
12/3/2007, 01:15 AM
I think this board helped a lot by avoiding use of the words FINISH and moxie.