PDA

View Full Version : "Suck it Slavers"

Big Red Ron
12/1/2007, 06:33 PM
I find this phrase very funny. I assume it has something to do with the Missouri compromise and Kansas being a "free" state.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Oh and eating boogers makes you short and fat.

FirstandGoal
12/1/2007, 07:13 PM
**** missouri

SoonerBacker
12/1/2007, 07:18 PM
It started with the Missouri Compromise of 1820. Missouri had originally applied for admission to the Union in 1819, but northern senators oppsed it. It would have upset the blance between slave and free states (11 each). when Maine sought statehood as a free state, it left room for compromise. Missouri was admitted as a slave state. Maine was admitted as a free state. Slavey was banned in the rest of the Loisiana Purchase territory north of Missouri's southern border.

Later, in the 1840s, another crisis over slavery in western territories erupted and the idea of popular soveriegnty was put forth as a solution. simply allow voters in new territories to decide the issue. When the Kansas-Nebraska Act controversy came up in 1854 (creat new states to allow for a northern route for a transcontinental railroad), it was assumed that Nebraska would enter as a free state and Kansas as a slave state. But the election to decide the issue in Kansas turned bloody as pro-slavery "border ruffians" from Missouri crossed the border to vote in the Kansas election. A minature civil war broke out with pro-slavery forces led by the likes of William Quantrill fought it out with the "free-soilers" led by John Brown and company. Quantrill's raiders even burned Lawrence (free-soil capital) to the ground.

Hope that helps.

cheezyq
12/1/2007, 07:19 PM
"Slavers", "Border Ruffians", etc. all comes from pre-Civil War years where slave-supporters crossed over into Kansas to influence Kansas' elections, either by voting (even though they were not registered Kansans) or by violence.