PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reporting Lester to meatchicken

Big Red Ron
12/1/2007, 09:32 AM
only citing "sources."

LSU must be a crappy job with Bo and Lester boh leaving town.

r5TPsooner
12/1/2007, 09:52 AM
Baton Rouge... nuff said.

TripleOption14
12/1/2007, 09:54 AM
Tuberville to LSU????

Big Red Ron
12/1/2007, 10:06 AM
Tuberville to LSU????Think he's going to Arky

Scott D
12/1/2007, 10:07 AM
Tuberville to LSU????

nah, he's probably going to use that job opening like the Arkansas one..to extort more money out of Auburn.

Bccajun
12/1/2007, 10:13 AM
Hell Yes even from a cajun. Get the hell out of Baton Rouge. Funny my neighbor 50 miles west of BR calls Les. West Nile.

Bo is only here to leave also. I can not blame him one bit. He is a good DC. Screwed by nebs

TripleOption14
12/1/2007, 10:16 AM
Butch Davis???.... Might as well keep throwing names out there. I'm bored. All day waiting SUX!!!!!!!!!! :D

IronSooner
12/1/2007, 10:22 AM
It amazes me how Pellini has gone from one job to the next. I've had longer relationships with the contents of my fridge.

fadada1
12/1/2007, 10:28 AM
It amazes me how Pellini has gone from one job to the next. I've had longer relationships with the contents of my fridge.
which one smells worse??

Breadburner
12/1/2007, 10:40 AM
Spurrier to LSU.......

Whet
12/1/2007, 12:23 PM
It is a toss-up between Dennis Franchione and Bill Callahan!

Cajun
12/1/2007, 12:56 PM
Spurrier to LSU.......

Heard that on local radio this AM

MextheBulldog
12/1/2007, 01:06 PM
meatchicken? heh

It's a well-known pipe dream of several LSU fans that Spurrier would come/go to Baton Rouge. Supposedly he 'covets' the job...

OUinFLA
12/1/2007, 01:09 PM
not so fast.
espn is now saying leslie to stay at lsu
presser at 1:50

MextheBulldog
12/1/2007, 01:16 PM
LSU associate athletic director Herb Vincent said Saturday morning that ESPN reports that Miles had accepted the head coaching position at Michigan were "inaccurate." Miles agreed to a contract extension Saturday with LSU.

IT'S NOT TRUE!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3136391

Sounds like Herbstreit has some 'splaining to do...

MichiganSooner
12/1/2007, 01:43 PM
Detroit Free Press says Les Miles expected to shun Michigan and stay at LSU.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071201/SPORTS06/71201011

Desert Sapper
12/1/2007, 01:46 PM
3/4 of the reports sending lester to meatchicken are inakrut.

IT AIN'T TRUE!

Let 'er rip, les.

SoonerMom2
12/1/2007, 01:55 PM
Miles holding a press conference shortly to say he is staying at LSU! Spencer Tillman on CBS said that Michigan has totally blown the whole deal.

tommieharris91
12/1/2007, 02:06 PM
:les: I AM THE HEAD COACH AT LSU AND I AM PREPARED TO LEAD MY DAMN STRONG FOOTBALL TEAM TO A CHAMPIONSHIP!!! WE HAVE A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME TO PLAY!!!

Jacie
Detroit Free Press says Les Miles expected to shun Michigan and stay at LSU.

Let's see, on Friday it was announced that LSU had given UM permission to talk to Lester. Upon reading that I imagine most of us thought Miles to Michigan was a done deal. Not so fast! Now we read that Les will receive an extension of his LSU contract. Was the media mistaken in Lester's intentions? Did he deliberately mislead everyone in order to get a better deal from LSU?

Hmmm, I think Les did talk to the UM money men and when the deal was laid before him he came to the conclusion that despite the attention he'd get being the coach of a premier program, one he had ties to and must surely covet, in the end there was one overriding consideration that he could not ignore.

Lester simply could not AFFORD to take the job.

According to CollegeSportsReport.com, for 2006-2007, Lloyd Carr's salary as UM head coach is $1,454,619, slighty more than the $1,450,000 Les makes at LSU. We all know that Miles would have to pay $1,250,000 to LSU if he took the meatchicken job and maybe the aforementioned UM money men weren't willing to substantially raise the salary they pay their head coach nor pick up the tab for the contract buyout. That, in effect, would mean Lester would have to forfeit a year's salary to move to Ann Arbor. I think he did the math and figured out the price was too high.

Boarder
:les: I'm a wacko!

So, in a typically insane les conference he says he's staying. Hey, any aggy hanging out here have you ever heard that before? What do you think?

Desert Sapper
12/1/2007, 02:08 PM
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Lester open his mouth really wide and swallow a fuel-air bomb. Which is about the equivalent of staying at LSU, when one team in a two-team conference is being handed to him.

sendbaht
12/1/2007, 02:11 PM
Yep, they say he staying a LSU but if I was a betting man I'd bet he goes to UM. Will see.

OUinFLA
12/1/2007, 02:12 PM
I didnt see the press conference, but on the lsu boards, they are reporting he "didnt say anything!"

just said they had a game to play today and he would answer questions after the game.

I guess that gives michigan about 6 more hours to raise the stakes.

KC//CRIMSON
12/1/2007, 02:16 PM
:les: I'm a deauxche!

Dan Thompson
12/1/2007, 02:19 PM
Not so fast, my friend.

Les is staying.

A D Peterson28
12/1/2007, 02:29 PM
How many times have we seen it? "I'm not going anywhere" (insert coach name here)... One week later, he's sporting a MU (or other team) hat. Personally, I hope he takes it...then I want to see his pompous, arrogant a$$ fail there (no offense to the kids playing there). OU FTW & another set of rings!!!!

Newbomb Turk
12/1/2007, 02:31 PM
:les: I'm a wacko!

So, in a typically insane les conference he says he's staying. Hey, any aggy hanging out here have you ever heard that before? What do you think?

lol - typical lester. Short clip of it on ESPN front page.

MextheBulldog
12/1/2007, 02:34 PM
Yeah, something tells me this isn't over just yet. But if Meeechigan keeps its mouth shut until Monday, then they may have a coach. Something smells fishy here - someone (with connections to ESPN) did not want Lester up there.

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2007, 02:36 PM
How many times have we seen it? "I'm not going anywhere" (insert coach name here)... One week later, he's sporting a MU (or other team) hat. Personally, I hope he takes it...then I want to see his pompous, arrogant a$$ fail there (no offense to the kids playing there). OU FTW & another set of rings!!!!
Don't forget the obligatory "Well, I wanted to honor the commitment I made to my players at (wherever) but I talked to them and they know the my dream has always been to coach at (whoever) and they told me I had to follow my dreams. After a lot of prayer and talking it over with my family, God and my family told me to go ahead and take the huge honkin' pay raise."

illinisooner
12/1/2007, 02:45 PM
My favorite part of that was at the end where he points at the reporters and says "have a great day." Haha.

Sooner Eclipse
12/1/2007, 02:48 PM
:les: I'm a deauxche!

that's great! post o' the day:D

OUinFLA
12/1/2007, 02:49 PM
Miles: "There was misinformation on ESPN and I think it's imperative that I straighten it out. I'm the head coach at LSU, I will be the head coach at LSU, I have no interest in talking to anyone else. I have a championship game to play and I'm excited about the opportunity of my damn strong football team to play in it. And that's really all I'd like to say. It's unfortunate I had to address my team with this information this morning. With that being done, I think we'll be ready to play. There will be no questions for me; I represent me in this issue, please ask me after. I'm busy. Thank you very much, and have a great day."

Let er Rip

Sooner Eclipse
12/1/2007, 02:58 PM
Quote: Originally Posted by Les Miles
Miles: "There was misinformation on ESPN and I think it's imperative that I straighten it out. I'm the head coach at LSU, I will be the head coach at LSU, I have no interest in talking to anyone else. I have a championship game to play and I'm excited about the opportunity of my damn strong football team to play in it. And that's really all I'd like to say. It's unfortunate I had to address my team with this information this morning. With that being done, I think we'll be ready to play. There will be no questions for me; I represent me in this issue, please ask me after. I'm busy. Thank you very much, and have a great day."

Wasn't that pretty much the same thing he said right before his back alley courting of LSU screwed up oSu's effort to defeat tosu in the alamo bowl a couple of years ago? :pop:

Mixer!
12/1/2007, 03:42 PM
yup.

badger
12/1/2007, 03:48 PM
BOB STOOPS TO CLEVELAND BROWNS!

... oh wait, that's old false news. Um... Germans bomb Pearl Harbor? wait, that's more old false news.

Since71ASooner4Life
12/1/2007, 04:03 PM
If you are planning on coaching LSU next year, than you simply say you will be coaching LSU next year, or, you simply say you are not leaving LSU - either makes perfectly clear your intention. The vague statement he made, along with stating that there would be no questions taken, is the crystal clear guarantee that Michigan has their new coach.

Scott D
12/1/2007, 05:23 PM
According to CollegeSportsReport.com, for 2006-2007, Lloyd Carr's salary as UM head coach is $1,454,619, slighty more than the $1,450,000 Les makes at LSU. We all know that Miles would have to pay $1,250,000 to LSU if he took the meatchicken job and maybe the aforementioned UM money men weren't willing to substantially raise the salary they pay their head coach nor pick up the tab for the contract buyout. That, in effect, would mean Lester would have to forfeit a year's salary to move to Ann Arbor. I think he did the math and figured out the price was too high.

People make too much of Carr's salary, there are certain outside reasons Carr made 'as little' as he did in comparison to other coaches on that tier. Bill Martin (Michigan AD) said after Carr's retirement announcement than he was well aware that if he was going to get a 'top level' head coach that they were going to have to pay at least 2.3 million. As one of the most profitable programs in the nation, I wouldn't worry about Michigan not having the money to pay Les, or that the boosters couldn't afford the meager 1.25 million buyout of his LSU deal.

StoopTroup
12/1/2007, 06:14 PM
Michigan was requiring Les to wear a UM Sweatervest during Games.

He said it was a deal breaker.

The_Red_Patriot
12/1/2007, 06:23 PM
Lester is walking, talking verison of herpes

Petro-Sooner
12/1/2007, 06:39 PM
You guys crack me up.

TUSooner
12/1/2007, 07:53 PM
I'm only 92.6% convinced.
1. Lester left "wiggle room" in his carefully crafted statement.
2. Agreement but no sig?
3. I find it difficult to believe he would forfeit any chance to coach at Michigan - ever - without having talked to them like he was supposed to do next week. So either he talked before he was supposed to (bad on him and Mich) OR he never wants to coach at Mich.
I'll be 99.5% convnced when he signs w/ LSU and 100% convinced only when Mich hires somebody else.

OUinFLA
12/1/2007, 08:05 PM
I wish Michigan would hire Spurrier.
He would restructure the entire Big 10/11