PDA

View Full Version : Am I outta line...

Mongo
11/30/2007, 08:48 PM
for not wanting to name our second son after the wife's grandfather on the grounds that it usually follows the father's lineage?

see, we named our first after my brother and father's middle name. Now my inlaws think it is only fitting that we name the second after one of them.

I dont like this idea

Mjcpr
11/30/2007, 08:52 PM
I don't know anything about how that is supposed to work but it seems fair to me to do what they're asking. sorry

Unless their name is Gretchen or Dooshface or Scott or something.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/30/2007, 08:53 PM
Why not?

You gave name love to your firstborn son, so why not honor your wife's grandfather by letting number two in on the action?

What did you have in mind? Naming him after your grandfathers?

Jerk
11/30/2007, 08:53 PM
Dude, you already got what you wanted with the first son.

You should do this for your wife.

Mjcpr
11/30/2007, 08:55 PM
Dude, you already got what you wanted with the first son.

Word. I don't even think you have to claim this one as your own, technically.

Mongo
11/30/2007, 08:56 PM
see, it is not like she is pushing for it, but it is my father in law that is, and i think that is what is chapping my ***.

and yall are a bunch of *******s for not going my way:D

Jerk
11/30/2007, 08:57 PM
Word. I don't even think you have to claim this one as your own, technically.

Yep. This woman is popping out something the size of a watermelon. The pain would kill most men. I think, mongo, you should compromise a little.

Jerk
11/30/2007, 08:59 PM
see, it is not like she is pushing for it, but it is my father in law that is, and i think that is what is chapping my ***.

and yall are a bunch of *******s for not going my way:D

OH!

My bad.

Dude, srsly, you got to name the first born. I'd let her name the 2nd if she wanted. That's just me, though. I ain't telling you what to do. Its ur life. Talk to her. Communication very important here, johhny son.

Mongo
11/30/2007, 09:01 PM
Yep. This woman is popping out something the size of a watermelon. The pain would kill most men. I think, mongo, you should compromise a little.

what makes you think she didnt have something the size of a watermelon to start this whole process?

Tulsa_Fireman
11/30/2007, 09:02 PM

You totally didn't say that initially.

You should totally kick him in the balls for hornin' in on your action. You're the man of your house, the father of your offspring. If you don't choke your father-in-law out in the next week, you seriously need to consider turnin' in your man card.

Seriously. Totally serious. Totally.

Jerk
11/30/2007, 09:06 PM
what makes you think she didnt have something the size of a watermelon to start this whole process?

heh:D

Widescreen
11/30/2007, 09:11 PM
Really? Who IS the father, then?

soonerboomer93
11/30/2007, 09:16 PM
damn, she said she was gonna name him after me :mad::mad::mad:

OUinFLA
11/30/2007, 09:57 PM
Cave in, name him Dip**** ............. oh, wait, that would be after you right?

:D

FirstandGoal
11/30/2007, 10:16 PM
This needs to be a pole

SanJoaquinSooner
11/30/2007, 10:29 PM
Give the kid his own damned name, not someone else's.

OUinFLA
11/30/2007, 10:32 PM
I'll send you three fiddy if you name the boy Mongo.

Curly Bill
11/30/2007, 10:55 PM
it is my father in law that is, and i think that is what is chapping my ***.:D

Tell father-in-law to mind his own business...then throw in something like: you got to name your kids, now I'll be doing the naming of mine. Now, if it was the wife that wanted to do it then maybe so...but not the in-laws.
JMHO

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 11:13 PM
We specifically found names for our sons that were on neither side of the family.

Screw'em all.

Sooner_Bob
11/30/2007, 11:18 PM
I say name him Bob.

Curly Bill
11/30/2007, 11:20 PM
Name him Sam.

Howzit
11/30/2007, 11:21 PM
I didn't have any sons to avoid this very conundrum.

Howzit
11/30/2007, 11:22 PM
No I didn't.

JohnnyMack
11/30/2007, 11:48 PM
The kid isn't even yours. It's probably that ******* swimmer mother****er who apparently impregnated my wife at least once. I will kill that bastard if I ever figure out who it is.

Howzit
11/30/2007, 11:51 PM
<sits vewy quiwetwy>

proud gonzo
12/1/2007, 12:01 AM
Ok, that's not how this sort of thing works. you don't name your kid after somebody because they ask you to, you do it because you want to. IMO it's poor form for them to ask you to name your kid after their side of the family. You don't have any responsibility to uphold their wishes or tradition. It doesn't matter if every son for 200 years has been named Montague, you can still name the kid whatever you want.

screw them. pick a name you like.

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2007, 12:03 AM
for not wanting to name our second son after the wife's grandfather on the grounds that it usually follows the father's lineage?

see, we named our first after my brother and father's middle name. Now my inlaws think it is only fitting that we name the second after one of them.

I dont like this idea
You're in the right.

Whet
12/1/2007, 12:04 AM
Compromise - name the kid Boomer Sooner Mongo....

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2007, 12:04 AM
The kid isn't even yours. It's probably that ******* swimmer mother****er who apparently impregnated my wife at least once. I will kill that bastard if I ever figure out who it is.

You're talking about me, aren't you?

OUinFLA
12/1/2007, 12:08 AM
You're talking about me, aren't you?

just cause you threw your blow-up doll away,
does not mean JohnnyMack married her.

Sooner24
12/1/2007, 12:13 AM
what makes you think she didnt have something the size of a watermelon seed to start this whole process?

I think you should name him Crimson & Cream Dean.

soonerinabilene
12/1/2007, 01:03 AM
Seven.

Widescreen
12/1/2007, 01:18 AM
Mohammad. Seriously.

goingoneight
12/1/2007, 02:09 AM
Name him Mongo... srsly.

SoonerGirl06
12/1/2007, 03:19 AM
Ask the wife what she wants to do and then go with her answer. Grandparents need to stay out of the baby naming process. Having one named after you should be an honor and not an expectation.

FWIW I think Big Mongo Jombo would be a totally cool name.

YWIA.

1stTimeCaller
12/1/2007, 08:00 AM
Tell gramps that if he wants to name one of your kids that you're gonna have to either **** him or his wife. Only the participants of the conception should have a say in naming the fruits of their labor.

Okla-homey
12/1/2007, 09:21 AM
All I know is naming kids for relatives can be profitable for the kid. I'll put it this way, if any of my relatives named a son for me, that kid would prolly get to go to college someday on me.

But that's just me.

SoonerGirl06
12/1/2007, 09:51 AM
Is it legal for a lawyer to blackmail their relatives?

;)

Sooner_Bob
12/1/2007, 09:55 AM
Ok, that's not how this sort of thing works. you don't name your kid after somebody because they ask you to, you do it because you want to. IMO it's poor form for them to ask you to name your kid after their side of the family. You don't have any responsibility to uphold their wishes or tradition. It doesn't matter if every son for 200 years has been named Montague, you can still name the kid whatever you want.

Just wait until you're the one dealing with a cranky 75 year-old grandmother in-law who's name has been in the family forever . . . just wait. :P

ChickSoonerFan
12/1/2007, 10:38 AM
I can't imagine grandparents even suggesting much less pressuring you to name your baby anything. They should not really have any say in the naming process. I think it is a nice gesture to name the babies after each grandparent, nothing wrong with that at all, as long as it is YOUR idea. If it means something to your wife, then you should do it, but not because her family thinks you should.

How strange.

Seriously. Strange.

olevetonahill
12/1/2007, 10:42 AM
Tell em **** off dip ****

sanantoniosooner
12/1/2007, 10:51 AM
Mongo just pawn in game of life.

Cam
12/1/2007, 10:57 AM
And we have a winner.

Okla-homey
12/1/2007, 11:05 AM
Is it legal for a lawyer to blackmail their relatives?

;)

That is not blackmail. It's not even extortion. It's offering valuable consideration for something desired.

It ain't gonna happen anyway unless my Blonde Daughter or one of my nieces or nephews names their kid for me. My siblings are all just about out of the baby-making biz.

usmc-sooner
12/1/2007, 11:09 AM
stand your ground Mongo

JohnnyMack
12/1/2007, 11:47 AM
<sits vewy quiwetwy>

Thanks, but it's not helping, I just can't figure out who it is.

nmsoonergirl
12/1/2007, 01:30 PM
All I know is naming kids for relatives can be profitable for the kid. I'll put it this way, if any of my relatives named a son for me, that kid would prolly get to go to college someday on me.

But that's just me.

If I change my name to Okla-Homey, would you pay off my student loans? Cause I would completely do that....

Or is being related to you a prerequisite?

And I'll chip in $50 if Mongo will name the baby Mongo Joe.

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2007, 01:32 PM
If I change my name to Okla-Homey, would you pay off my student loans? Cause I would completely do that....

Or is being related to you a prerequisite?

And I'll chip in $50 if Mongo will name the baby Mongo Joe.

Let him pay my tuition and student fees and we'll really put that theory to the test. ;)

Tulsa_Fireman
12/1/2007, 01:38 PM
There's only one way to solve this dilemma.

http://home.claranet.de/kirstenp/moviefaces/actor/v/jcvd_bloodsport04.jpg

KUMITE.

frankensooner
12/1/2007, 03:31 PM
As long as you don't give him a silly name like Froston or Ian, I think you should be okay! ;)

Widescreen
12/1/2007, 03:31 PM
There's only one way to solve this dilemma.

http://home.claranet.de/kirstenp/moviefaces/actor/v/jcvd_bloodsport04.jpg

KUMITE.
This will only work if Mongo can do the splits.

Mongo
12/1/2007, 03:36 PM
As long as you don't give him a silly name like Froston or Ian, I think you should be okay! ;)

Ian is such a faggy name. The parents must hate their son

Mongo
12/1/2007, 03:39 PM
OK, I may have thrown some of you off, but the FIL chimed in with this name. Mrs Mongo decided she like it and now is using the fact that #1 is after my family as leverage.

She only mentioned the name cause of the FIL. Both, IMHO, need to be drop kicked

and, to be honest, I just dont like the name

1stTimeCaller
12/1/2007, 03:39 PM
probably wanted a daughter but got a son so they decided to raise him as a girl anyway.

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2007, 04:38 PM
The kid should be so lucky.

SoonerGirl06
12/1/2007, 04:43 PM
It's offering valuable consideration for something desired.

AKA Blackmail.

;) :D

Cam
12/1/2007, 04:43 PM
OK, I may have thrown some of you off, but the FIL chimed in with this name. Mrs Mongo decided she like it and now is using the fact that #1 is after my family as leverage.

She only mentioned the name cause of the FIL. Both, IMHO, need to be drop kicked

Then you may very well be SOL man.

Just start throwing out names now and then and hope you thow out a combination that she likes better than the other.

Cam
12/1/2007, 04:44 PM

Then you may very well be SOL man.

Just start throwing out names now and then and hope you thow out a combination that she likes better than the other.

Widescreen
12/1/2007, 06:06 PM
Anfernee has a nice ring to it.

frankensooner
12/1/2007, 07:00 PM
She gets mad when I call him Anthony, almost as mad as I get for her naming him Anfernee. (or something like that)

ultimatesooner1
12/2/2007, 03:09 AM
i think we need more info on this situation

is the wife an only child?

does she have gay brothers who have no chance of carrying on family names, etc?

does she have sisters who have kids whose husbands stood up to the granparents?

MamaMia
12/3/2007, 07:17 PM

and, to be honest, I just dont like the name What's the name?

Mongo
12/3/2007, 11:03 PM
What's the name?

Will. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I just dont prefer it.

We have agreed into using my middle name, but I may concede and use William as the middle

MamaMia
12/9/2007, 11:20 AM
Will. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I just dont prefer it.

We have agreed into using my middle name, but I may concede and use William as the middle A very noble name indeed. In the end however, you and your wife have to be happy with his name. Its always nice to consider the feelings of family members when deciding upon a name for a child that will be in all of your lives. Suggestions from them in that area are okay, but its quite inappropriate for anyone to put pressure on the couple. This is a lovely, happy time, so try not to allow the wants of others to tarnish one moment of it. :)

Most of the children in my family, as well as myself, have 2 middle names. Its our way of honoring our family members. When filling out paperwork we simply hyphen the 2 middle names. You might consider doing that.

JohnnyMack
12/9/2007, 08:18 PM
We have 3 or 4 names for the baby and we can't pick one out. We're thinking of putting each name on a card, sealing it in an unmarked envelope, throwing them all in a pile on the floor and letting Jr. pick a card. The one he grabs will be his little brother's name.

Mongo
1/5/2008, 02:55 PM
I told the woman off and we aint using her name that she/the inlaws wanted to use.

the inlaws were not amused at my reasoning, but the wife understands

Widescreen
1/5/2008, 03:04 PM
I don't get how it's the in-law's business anyway. I can understand them expressing an opinion if you were planning on calling the kid Moonshadow or something. Otherwise, they need to keep their yaps shut.

Mongo
1/5/2008, 03:06 PM
They love to stick their noses in business that doesnt concern them

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2008, 03:11 PM
some of you need to look up the definition of "inlaw".

Sticking your nose into other peoples business is a prereq.

Mrs. Norm
1/6/2008, 09:38 AM
Seeing that Norm and I went through this EXACT problem 7 months ago, I will chime in. Our first son is named after Norm's father. When we were expecting our second, my father dropped the hint that he would like this one named after him.

Norm thought he was pressured to do this.

Mongo, let me tell you how your wife is feeling right now. She is pregnant (duh), uncomfortable, her hormones are CRAZY. Not only is she going through that, but she is being put in the middle of you and her family. Of course she wants her child named after her dad, but she doesn't want you unhappy either. WHY?? Why make her go through all of this? Norm and I argued weeks about it, and then we would just stop talking about it. We compromised together AND with my dad. We came up with a name we ALL love!!

Don't just say no because you feel pressured by the FIL. Consider your wife's feelings.

Mongo
1/6/2008, 11:01 AM
Mrs. Norm, thanks for the advice. It is a crappy situation for everyone to be in. I hate that we had that stress, especially when she didnt need it. But I see it as my parents or my inlaws should have no input what so ever. none. this is a matter between me and the wife.

I also laid out three reasons why I felt this name, which is honoring her grandfather/my FIL's dad, should not be used. It had to do with her grandfather's character. I believe that naming a child after someone is an honor. I also believe that the person you are naming your child after should be an honorable person. The reasons I gave her were pretty heavy for her to take, I pretty much knocked her loved one's reputation and character. but when all was said and done, she agreed with me point by point 100%.

We have agreed on a name that we both like. now my inlaws are ****ed at me, but I could care less, it isnt their choice

1stTimeCaller
1/6/2008, 11:03 AM
Scott was a great choice. You did the right thing.

sanantoniosooner
1/6/2008, 11:08 AM
If they'll be honest with themselves, they're really upset about who is boning their daughter.

The name thing is just icing on the cake.

Mongo
1/6/2008, 11:08 AM
and a little clue on how my inlaws work: the MIL and FIL got into a big *** arguement with each other. The MIL got mad at the FIL for suggesting a name from his side of the family when we should obviously chose the name she liked from her side of the family

Mongo
1/6/2008, 11:09 AM
Scott was a great choice. You did the right thing.

Mongo jr does have your penis size.

TINY

Widescreen
1/6/2008, 01:46 PM
I also laid out three reasons why I felt this name, which is honoring her grandfather/my FIL's dad, should not be used. It had to do with her grandfather's character. I believe that naming a child after someone is an honor.
Hmmm. Maybe I shouldn't have named my son Anakin.