PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting desperate......computer nerd help puhleeze

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 12:36 PM
I have 90 hours of Sooner football on my DVR and some other stuff. I BARELY have enough room to include the game this weekend. If I can't move some of the stuff onto my laptop soon I'll be in trouble.

I ordered a USB A to A cable to be able to connect my laptop directly to the DVR, but it doesn't even show up as a mass storage device or anything.

It's a JVC and uses jpeg2 format if that matters.

I'd eventually like to burn DVDs but right now I'd settle for transferring the data to a new location.

Hamhock
11/30/2007, 12:39 PM
hire a transcriptionist to watch and record the games, then you delete them.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 12:40 PM
I knew that you would be all kinds of useful.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/30/2007, 12:40 PM
I didnt think the USB on the DVR had any functions right now..

NM..yours is different

Hamhock
11/30/2007, 12:43 PM
I knew that you would be all kinds of useful.

glad to deliver

stoops the eternal pimp
11/30/2007, 12:49 PM
Whats the jVC model numero?

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 12:51 PM
Whats the jVC model numero?
TUDVR625RU

I'm working google myself hoping to learn something.

OCUDad
11/30/2007, 12:53 PM
Assuming you have Windows, right-click "My Computer," select "Manage," then select "Storage." Under "Local Disks," see if the DVR shows up. If it does, you can explore it from there and possibly move files.

Sometimes just plugging a disk into a USB port won't work right away - Windows is very crabby about drivers and other trivia like that.

Lott's Bandana
11/30/2007, 12:53 PM
Is it your own DVR or the cable company's?

olevetonahill
11/30/2007, 12:57 PM
hell sas you thonk ypuve got problems
Ive recorded every game this year . I know how to record Just aint figured out to replayem . . Oh well it will give me sompun to do this off season .:confused:

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 12:57 PM
ocudad- it doesn't show up there.

LB- We have DishNetwork, so I suppose it belongs to them.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/30/2007, 01:05 PM
USB the only port it has?

Ike
11/30/2007, 01:06 PM
well, if you are comfortable with a screwdriver, and things...

go to your local computer store and buy a USB-IDE (or SATA if the DVR uses SATA drives) drive enclosure. They cost about 10 bucks, so if you don't know you could just buy both of them. Open up the DVR and remove the hard drive. Put the hard drive in the enclosure, and connect it to your laptop. It should show up then.

When you are done, put the drive back in the DVR.

Some snags you could run into:

If the filesystem on the hard drive is not FAT, your windows laptop probably won't be able to read anything on it. A linux system might tho.

Oh, and if the cable company owns the DVR, you may be violating the terms of service, not to mention that if you break anything, they'll probably make you pay for it.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 01:10 PM
USB the only port it has?
It's got some RCA jacks and a phone line for PPV carp.

My only DVD burner is on my laptop though.

Ike- I probably wouldn't mind trying what you are suggesting, being in a tight spot and all. But it seems like there should be a better long term solution in the long run.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/30/2007, 01:12 PM
I wonder if something like this could work..

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/videoware_1974_7594642

Ike
11/30/2007, 01:14 PM
It's got some RCA jacks and a phone line for PPV carp.

My only DVD burner is on my laptop though.

Ike- I probably wouldn't mind trying what you are suggesting, being in a tight spot and all. But it seems like there should be a better long term solution in the long run.

Yes and no. If you got the machine from the cable company, they probably have some interest in making it as hard as they can for you to save the content. Meaning that some of the 'features' that would come with the unit if you bought it yourself are quite possibly disabled in the unit they give you.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 01:15 PM
I wonder if something like this could work..

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/videoware_1974_7594642
link to the product.

I think it would work. I don't know what software I might need.

It would probably have to record it in real time, so I'd just have to let it record at night most likely.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/30/2007, 01:16 PM
Here ya go (http://www.svideo.com/av2usb.html)

rufnek05
11/30/2007, 01:19 PM
smack it with a crescent wrench.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 01:20 PM
Yes and no. If you got the machine from the cable company, they probably have some interest in making it as hard as they can for you to save the content. Meaning that some of the 'features' that would come with the unit if you bought it yourself are quite possibly disabled in the unit they give you.
I get that. I might open up the case and see what it looks like inside.

Would an aftermarket DVR be compatible with my Dish Subscription?

Ike
11/30/2007, 01:24 PM
I get that. I might open up the case and see what it looks like inside.

Would an aftermarket DVR be compatible with my Dish Subscription?

Having never owned a DVR, I have no idea. But I imagine that if it sits between the tuner(s) and the TV, then yes.

sooner_born_1960
11/30/2007, 01:27 PM
Having never owned a DVR, I have no idea. But I imagine that if it sits between the tuner(s) and the TV, then yes.
What if it sits atop the tuner on a shelf, above and kinda to the right of the tv? Will that still work? ;)

Ike
11/30/2007, 01:31 PM
What if it sits atop the tuner on a shelf, above and kinda to the right of the tv? Will that still work? ;)
well then you are screwed.

Mjcpr
11/30/2007, 01:36 PM
Your DVR holds nearly 30 football games?

Lott's Bandana
11/30/2007, 01:43 PM
SAS,

My thinking about cable ownership was: go to the cable company and "add"
another DVR to your account (temporarily), then you could swap DVR's and record the game while you work on your transfer dilemma...once solved, transfer the games and take the extra DVR back.

Not familiar with Dish and whether they have a "store" where you can get equipment, but the concept is likely similar.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 01:44 PM
Your DVR holds nearly 30 football games?
More like 20 or so when you account for about 3.5 hours per game plus extra time to make sure you don't miss anything. If I'm at home, I'll stop the recording right after the coaches comment after the game and save some space. But if I'm gone, it can be 4+ hours a pop.

Mjcpr
11/30/2007, 01:45 PM
Good lord.......I don't think ours would hold anything close to that amount.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 01:49 PM
Good lord.......I don't think ours would hold anything close to that amount.
I just checked so I could be more accurate.

I have 16 actual Sooner games on the DVR right now, about 10 hours of other stuff, and about 7 hours of space.

sooner_born_1960
11/30/2007, 01:52 PM
I have connected my Dish DVR522 Hard Drive to my PC and upon inspection of the drive with partition magic I notice that it is 3 Linux partitions.

I booted into Knoppix 3.6 and the 3 drives are automatically mounted and short cuts are created on the desktop.

The 1st and 2nd partitions seem to be database files for the TV Guide and DVR Recordings I assume.

The 3rd partition however, has all of the recorded files on it. The problem I've run into is all of these files are in a *.tsp file format. Staying in a Linux environment this is no problem as Xine Media Player will open and play these .tsp files with no problem.

But we all seem to want to pull these files into a windows environment in order to edit out commercial and burn our recordings to DVD...

Anyone out there know anything about .tsp files? How to convert them to an editable format?

I hope some of this information helps someone come to a solution to this problem. I’ll continue to research and see if I can come up with anything. It really sucks that Dish won’t let us just plug into the USB port and back up these hard drives…

Thanks!

P.
I found that from this http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/115294.html
You might find something else that might help. I didn't read it all.

1stTimeCaller
11/30/2007, 01:54 PM
do you grade the players when you rewatch the games?

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 01:56 PM
do you grade the players when you rewatch the games?
Only the tight ends.

Ike
11/30/2007, 01:58 PM
I found that from this http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/115294.html
You might find something else that might help. I didn't read it all.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

If this is the same thing that SAS has, then a windows machine will be useless for retrieving the files from the DVR. Find a linux geek.

sooner_born_1960
11/30/2007, 02:01 PM
If it's ext2 or ext3 this might help http://www.fs-driver.org/
I'd just boot linux and burn the dvd's from there.

Ike
11/30/2007, 02:07 PM
nm

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 02:14 PM
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dishrip/

I guess I might have to register to read this one.

That's a good thread you linked to.

IB4OU2
11/30/2007, 02:20 PM
TUDVR625RU

I'm working google myself hoping to learn something.

I don't think the Turd model has that function.

OCUDad
11/30/2007, 02:29 PM
This is kind of out of left field, so excuse me if it’s a silly idea. I wonder if you could record to the laptop from the TV? If you could play the DVR content through the TV and connect the TV to your laptop with an RCA-to-USB adapter like STEP recommended, you might be able to bypass any file protection built into the DVR. Obviously the recording would have to be in real time and therefore slow, but if it works you could then delete files from the DVR and make room for more stuff.

Just a thought… a more experienced nerd might be able to tell you whether this could work.

1stTimeCaller
11/30/2007, 02:31 PM
:rolleyes:

dumie!!

;)

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 02:33 PM
This is kind of out of left field, so excuse me if it’s a silly idea. I wonder if you could record to the laptop from the TV? If you could play the DVR content through the TV and connect the TV to your laptop with an RCA-to-USB adapter like STEP recommended, you might be able to bypass any file protection built into the DVR. Obviously the recording would have to be in real time and therefore slow, but if it works you could then delete files from the DVR and make room for more stuff.

Just a thought… a more experienced nerd might be able to tell you whether this could work.
I agree that would be a solution.

positives: don't have to crack open the dvr. Everything is plug and play.

negatives: I think the video quality will drop in this manner. It will take forever. It will cost $40 to even attempt it and see how I like it, not including any software I might have to purchase.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/30/2007, 02:45 PM
I agree that would be a solution.

positives: don't have to crack open the dvr. Everything is plug and play.

negatives: I think the video quality will drop in this manner. It will take forever. It will cost $40 to even attempt it and see how I like it, not including any software I might have to purchase.

Obviously the video and sound if its in DD5.1 will suffer but I havent found any software yet..still on the hunt.....This is more important than the homework due by 6pm

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 02:47 PM
Obviously the video and sound if its in DD5.1 will suffer but I havent found any software yet..still on the hunt.....This is more important than the homework due by 6pm
You're telling me.

I have 5 "reflection" papers PAST due.:(

OCUDad
11/30/2007, 02:50 PM
dumie!!If that's 1TCese for "do me," I'll pass. :cool: