PDA

View Full Version : Fiesta a Possibility win or lose

sooner59
11/30/2007, 10:52 AM
SI.com and CBS are both saying that the Fiesta Bowl is leaning towards the Big 12. They said if OU wins, its in. If mizzOU wins, it could be OU vs. Kansas. Arizona state will get consideration, but revenue-wise, it would be better to pick OU over AZ state because the sun devils already live their and would spend less money. Hmmm....interesting.

Boomer.....
11/30/2007, 10:56 AM
A conference cannot have 3 teams in BCS bowls.

cheezyq
11/30/2007, 11:09 AM
A conference cannot have 3 teams in BCS bowls.

Not to mention that you have to finish higher than #14 (I think) if you're an at-large team.

BIG_IKE
11/30/2007, 11:13 AM
IF We lose, KAnsas if any Big 12 team will get the At-Large BCS Bid.

Boomer.....
11/30/2007, 11:17 AM
Kansas will no boubt be going to a bcs bowl.

The Maestro
11/30/2007, 11:20 AM
I live out here and the afternoon drive time sports radio guys are big buds with John Junker, the Fiesta Bowl prez...they said their "sources"...has to be Junker...told them if OU wins, it would more than likely be OU vs. KU in the Fiesta Bowl with Missouri to the Holiday Bowl. If Missouri wins, it will be KU vs. ASU, if ASU wins as well. Bottom line, Fiesta gets first pick and taking a one loss, top five ranked Kansas team that they feel will travel well is their best bet. I was hoping for an OU-ASU matchup...but it appears OU vs. KU is the best bet we have for the Fiesta Bowl.

Tigersnumerouno
11/30/2007, 11:22 AM
I'd rather see the Sunnis go to the Fiesta than Jaytalkers but I think a loss Saturday will put you in the Cotton Bowl. I think a KU-OU match up would be fun to watch but I don't think it will happen. Good Luck !

SoonerBBall
11/30/2007, 11:25 AM
OU/KU could possibly be the worst BCS game ever. Yes, I'm putting it below undefeated Utah vs 8-4 Pittsburg.

The Maestro
11/30/2007, 11:25 AM
I keep hearing the Cotton Bowl talk, too, if we lose and I cannot figure out why. I thought the third place Big 12 team went to the Holiday...am I wrong on that? Gawd, the Cotton Bowl is arguably the least entertaining bowl game to go to...Dallas, New Year's Day, freezing cold, 10 a.m....San Diego a few nights after Christmas sounds MUCH better...'specially since I'd be there!

I figured it out now...Cotton is Big 12 number 2 but with two in the BCS...makes sense. Just such a boring bowl to go to.

The Maestro
11/30/2007, 11:26 AM
OU/KU could possibly be the worst BCS game ever. Yes, I'm putting it below undefeated Utah vs 8-4 Pittsburg.

11-2 Big 12 Champion Oklahoma vs. 11-1 Kansas worse than Utah v. Pitt?

Wow...is it raining in your world or what?

SoonerBBall
11/30/2007, 11:41 AM
11-2 Big 12 Champion Oklahoma vs. 11-1 Kansas worse than Utah v. Pitt?

Wow...is it raining in your world or what?

Yes, it is raining right now in Norman.

But seriously, you really want to see OU vs Kansas when we are going to play them in 2008 and 2009? Utah vs Pitt was at least interesting because those teams never play each other. There is nothing remotely interesting about a BCS game played between conference opponents. At all. It might not be a bad game football wise, but if it happens, it will absolutely be the worst match up in the history of the BCS.

The Maestro
11/30/2007, 11:43 AM
Well, I agree it is not that interesting being a conference opponent, but Utah v. Pitt was the worst of the worst. Plus, I don't even hate Kansas since I like Mangino and have been impressed with the job he has done this year. Hell, their team is fun to watch, too.

Any game in my backyard works for me!

SoonerBBall
11/30/2007, 11:43 AM
I keep hearing the Cotton Bowl talk, too, if we lose and I cannot figure out why. I thought the third place Big 12 team went to the Holiday...am I wrong on that? Gawd, the Cotton Bowl is arguably the least entertaining bowl game to go to...Dallas, New Year's Day, freezing cold, 10 a.m....San Diego a few nights after Christmas sounds MUCH better...'specially since I'd be there!

I figured it out now...Cotton is Big 12 number 2 but with two in the BCS...makes sense. Just such a boring bowl to go to.

When they say "Big 12 number 2" for the bowls, it doesn't mean the number 2 team in the Big 12. It means that the Cotton Bowl has the second choice of bowl eligible teams from the Big 12. If they wanted to use that choice for a 7-5 bowl eligible team they could do it.

MarylandSooner
11/30/2007, 11:45 AM
The reason we would not be considered the third place team is because if Missouri was to win they would go to the BCS Championship Game which means KU would become the BCS Bowl Game rep from the Big 12 moving us to the number 2 slot which technically goes to the cotton bowl.

It almost pays to lose another game just so you can go to San Diego instead of Dallas.

yermom
11/30/2007, 11:53 AM
the Cotton Bowl is our "backyard" game

San Diego is cool, but Dallas should be where no one wants to play us

i think the idea of playing KU isn't bad. if we beat Mizzou then we'd be playing the last of the best teams in the conference this year. 11-2 vs 11-1? sounds pretty good to me

i think it's probably better than Pitt vs. Utah or the Miami/FSU rematch

SoonerBBall
11/30/2007, 11:54 AM
The reason we would not be considered the third place team is because if Missouri was to win they would go to the BCS Championship Game which means KU would become the BCS Bowl Game rep from the Big 12 moving us to the number 2 slot which technically goes to the cotton bowl.

It almost pays to lose another game just so you can go to San Diego instead of Dallas.

If we are going to go to a worthless bowl game, I'd rather go to the Cotton then the Holiday.

Going to the Cotton Bowl gives us 4 more days of practice and from what I remember in the past, the gifts they give the players are pretty sick.

Besides, I love saying "You can't spell Holiday Bowl without UT."

BIG_IKE
11/30/2007, 12:19 PM

Besides, I love saying "You can't spell Holiday Bowl without UT."

Yeah, it's fun until the Whorns start saying you can't spell Holiday Bowl without OU" :D They havent been since 03'. We went rather recently. Anywho, I would rather just beat Missouri and get the automatic BCS and not care where the other teams go. :pop:

stoops the eternal pimp
11/30/2007, 12:52 PM
No more than 2 teams from any one conference may receive berths in BCS games.

Blues1
11/30/2007, 12:56 PM
We are going to the FIESTA --- Just Keep Rockin' ---- :)

cheezyq
11/30/2007, 01:02 PM
When they say "Big 12 number 2" for the bowls, it doesn't mean the number 2 team in the Big 12. It means that the Cotton Bowl has the second choice of bowl eligible teams from the Big 12. If they wanted to use that choice for a 7-5 bowl eligible team they could do it.

You are absolutely right about this, but I personally wouldn't have used "Big 12" and "number 2" in the same sentence. :D Besides, isn't the number 2 team in the Big 12 always Texas?

NYC Poke
11/30/2007, 01:03 PM
SI.com and CBS are both saying that the Fiesta Bowl is leaning towards the Big 12.

Stewart Mandel of si.com later corrected himself.

I don't understand the second bullet point of your Nov. 26 bowl projections. The way it reads, you've got "the Tigers" moving up to the title game and Kansas facing Oklahoma. That'd be three Big 12 teams in BCS games and we know that can't happen. Am I misreading your writing?
--Tom Wancho, Cedar Park, Texas

Unfortunately, that paragraph did not come out the way I intended it, and a whole bunch of you were left understandably confused. Let me take another crack at it:

Kansas (11-1) is in pretty good shape to receive an at-large berth to the Fiesta Bowl regardless of this weekend's Big 12 title result. If Missouri beats Oklahoma to advance to the national championship game, the Fiesta would likely select the Jayhawks to replace the Tigers. And if the Sooners defeat the Tigers to earn an automatic berth to Glendale, the Fiesta would strongly consider an Oklahoma-Kansas matchup since those two did not play during the regular season.

Obviously, that would not go over well with Missouri fans, but it's not like they're going to stage Oklahoma-Missouri III.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/11/28/cfb.bag/2.html

SunDevilSooner
11/30/2007, 01:19 PM
I live out here and the afternoon drive time sports radio guys are big buds with John Junker, the Fiesta Bowl prez...they said their "sources"...has to be Junker...told them if OU wins, it would more than likely be OU vs. KU in the Fiesta Bowl with Missouri to the Holiday Bowl. If Missouri wins, it will be KU vs. ASU, if ASU wins as well. Bottom line, Fiesta gets first pick and taking a one loss, top five ranked Kansas team that they feel will travel well is their best bet. I was hoping for an OU-ASU matchup...but it appears OU vs. KU is the best bet we have for the Fiesta Bowl.
God...I do NOT want to see an OU-ASU matchup (alum from both schools). I am hoping UCLA beats SUC so I can see the Devils in the Rose and the Sooners in the Fiesta...

jwlynn64
11/30/2007, 01:24 PM
The reason I want an out of conference opponent is so that when OU wins handily, they will have to give the Big XII some credit. If we play and beat another Big XII school then all we prove is that we are the best in the big XII!

I want everyone to know how great the Sooners are!!!1!1!!! :D

cheezyq
11/30/2007, 01:59 PM
I personally would like to see us play Georgia in the Fiesta, but I doubt that will be possible with the Orange getting first pick of the at-large teams (assuming OU wins, of course). The highest ranked teams left will be Mizzou and KU, making KU the most likely possibility as an opponent for OU, and MU left out of the BCS and into the Cotton.

Other potential teams that the Fiesta might opt for are: VT (if BC wins the ACC), ASU, Hawaii, or even Illinois. Of those teams, I'm betting that they'll choose Hawaii, given the BSU fiasco last year....which would suck, of course.

humblesooner
11/30/2007, 05:47 PM

Just to expand a little, IF MU wins tomorrow, they would play in the BCS Champ game in NO.
MU is the B12's representative in the BCS. KU does NOT automatically get the B12 nod. If they go, they will go as an at-large and the Fiesta Bwol would not be obligated to take them.