PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip the cleaning lady at the hotel/motel?

frankensooner
11/29/2007, 05:19 PM
Oldnslo's nasty cup thread got me to thinking, do most people tip the cleaning lady? Vote yes if you do it more than 50% of the time. This is a secret pole so, have at it.

achiro
11/29/2007, 05:28 PM
If I am at a field trial or hunting where I have the dogs in the room and/or am tracking mud/sand burrs/etc in I will. If I am just sleeping for a night or two, no.

rufnek05
11/29/2007, 05:33 PM
yes because we get hammered and tear **** up.

StoopTroup
11/29/2007, 05:54 PM
Not anymore.

JohnnyMack
11/29/2007, 06:13 PM
Housekeeping! You want me fluff pillow?

Mixer!
11/29/2007, 06:14 PM
When they wipe down the in-room coffee maker with the same cloth they just wiped down the toilet with, no.

SoonerBOI
11/29/2007, 06:34 PM
Between $5-10. There's always a story behind the cleaning lady.

SteelClip49
11/29/2007, 06:41 PM
I don't have any pesos

KHS Sooner
11/29/2007, 06:57 PM
I don't have any pesos

:eek:

TheUnnamedSooner
11/29/2007, 06:59 PM
Between $5-10. There's always a story behind the cleaning lady.

And we all know it's not Sic'em.

Cleaning guy on the other hand....

Whet
11/29/2007, 07:13 PM
When I stay in one, I tip them - but, then I would be traveling on business, thus on per diem.....

Otherwise, I don't stay in those places on personal time.....

Lott's Bandana
11/29/2007, 07:31 PM
I do; most I've met are hard working single mothers.

They are working, helping to support families and most importantly, have access to your stuff! Keep 'em happy.

I feel more justified tipping a hotel housekeeper than a parking valet.

'Specially after what I do to the bedspread.

Mjcpr
11/29/2007, 07:33 PM
If I am at a field trial or hunting where I have the dogs in the room and/or am tracking mud/sand burrs/etc in I will.

Where the hell do you stay that would even allow that?

BudSooner
11/29/2007, 08:43 PM
Only if they wipe down the mirror after doing the nightstand dance.

jr4ou
11/29/2007, 09:23 PM
it depends how well they look in the mirror

SanJoaquinSooner
11/29/2007, 09:35 PM
Yes. I believe in rewarding those who work.

JohnnyMack
11/29/2007, 09:59 PM

Casa Dean?

JohnnyMack
11/29/2007, 10:09 PM
And no I don't. I'm a very clean person and when I leave the hotel, other than dirty towels and the bed being unmade I do not leave a mess. I don't tip Starbucks employees either. Or any other employee who is earning an hourly rate vs. actually working for tips.

FirstandGoal
11/29/2007, 10:29 PM
I am very clean when I stay in a hotel by myself. I have used towels from the shower to take care of and that's it. For times like that, I never tip.

I do however have to stay in hotels from time to time when my son's soccer team travels. Seems as if we always end up having to play in out of town tournaments during crappy weather so mud and smelly uni's tend to make the room gross. Especially if I end up taking a couple of extra kids with me if their parents can't take them. I will tip in this instance, but that glass story is going to make me think really hard about tipping ever again.

jr4ou
11/29/2007, 10:34 PM
huh?:eek: :pop:

TUSooner
11/29/2007, 11:07 PM
Yes.

uh.. if the question is still about tipping the maid.

achiro
11/30/2007, 12:12 AM
Which part, dogs in the room or tracking mud in the room?

olevetonahill
11/30/2007, 01:07 AM
Wheres the "Only if Shes Hawt " option ?

goingoneight
11/30/2007, 02:38 AM
Well... I look at it this way. I'm hung over, she's banging on my door at 5:00AM sharp wanting to "clean."

"Clean" in quotations, because that's the only word of English she knows.

I tell her no.

Knock-knock... "clean?" 7:00 AM.

:mad:

I'm too nice though... I leave a courtesy anyway. :O

Harry Beanbag
11/30/2007, 06:58 AM
The thought actually never occurred to me. Nobody ever tips me at my day job.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 08:04 AM
you mean like leaving a note that says "No juegue en la calle."?

Mjcpr
11/30/2007, 08:35 AM
Which part, dogs in the room or tracking mud in the room?

Yes. :D

VeeJay
11/30/2007, 09:03 AM
Who's ever around the hotel room when the cleaning lady comes around? Unless you're a drunkard.

Which I am.....but I'm usually out by the time the cart arrives.

sooner_born_1960
11/30/2007, 09:47 AM
Like Harry, I've never even considered it. I had no idea people did that.

frankensooner
11/30/2007, 10:05 AM
A couple of weeks ago, we went to Branson and in the hotel room, and I have seen this before, the housekeeper had an envelope out with her name on it. My sister travels a lot and I know she always leaves a fiver out every day for housekeeping. I have left tips before, but, not always and definately NOT if they have an envelope out.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 10:09 AM
If they left an envelope out I'd probably write the address to the immigration office on it.

TUSooner
11/30/2007, 10:15 AM
What's it hurt you to give up a fiver for someone with one of the most menial jobs on Earth?
I mean this in the nicest possible way: I hope Jesus b*tch-slaps some of you cheapskates when you die. ("Do unto others," and all that, y'know?)

sooner_born_1960
11/30/2007, 10:18 AM
So, tell me how this works. Do you just leave money laying out each morning? How do they know they're supposed to take it, but not take my other stuff?

frankensooner
11/30/2007, 10:18 AM
You leave it on the messy bed or by the dirty glasses.

Mjcpr
11/30/2007, 10:19 AM
What's it hurt you to give up a fiver for someone with one of the most menial jobs on Earth?
I mean this in the nicest possible way: I hope Jesus b*tch-slaps some of you cheapskates when you die. ("Do unto others," and all that, y'know?)

I think they would appreciate it more if maybe you left it in the bottom of the toilet bowl or something. Like with a rock or something to hold it on the bottom.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 10:19 AM
If you think that is menial, you need to "assist" me sometimes.

I tip a lot of places.

My wife leaves hotel rooms so clean the maid service takes her mint off the pillow.

sooner_born_1960
11/30/2007, 10:20 AM
I think I'll start tipping housekeeping ladies. I'll leave a fiver next to a bottle of Dove for dishes. I'll report back here if the results are positive.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 10:25 AM
You should also tip Sooners who live in San Antonio while you visit.

JohnnyMack
11/30/2007, 10:57 AM
You should also tip Sooners who live in San Antonio while you visit.

Out.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 11:03 AM
Out.
You're not welcome in San Antonio anyway.

JohnnyMack
11/30/2007, 11:07 AM
You're not welcome in.....Tul.....to come to my......niner....:mad:..

C&CDean
11/30/2007, 11:09 AM
I'm with the other guys who've never heard of this practice. And I spend almost half-a-year sleeping in hotels.

Seriously, how the hell do you tip a cleaning lady? I ain't leaving money laying around in the room (and when I have on accident it's always still there when I get back to the room) and I rarely, if ever actually see the housekeeper because I always leave early in the morning and come back later in the day.

I've been Diamond with Hilton and Platinum with Marriott for over a decade and have never even thought/heard/considered tipping a maid. And I'm one of the most generous/tippingest mofos out there. Weird.

SOONER STEAKER
11/30/2007, 11:15 AM
I went to St. Louis with my father and his friends for the Wrestling National Championships. These old guys would rush back to the room so they could see the (Cute) ladies clean the room. They got the ladies drunk and conned them out of some robes from the hotel.

These gus thought they pulled off the biggest steal until hey got their credit card bills. Low and behold, they were billed for the robes.

VeeJay
11/30/2007, 11:27 AM
Next time I get pulled over by a cop, I'm going to tip him.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 11:29 AM
Next time I get pulled over by a cop, I'm going to tip him.
When he is walking back to his car after writing you a ticket, do NOT say "And screw you very much".

It doesn't go over well.

yermom
11/30/2007, 12:23 PM
I'm with the other guys who've never heard of this practice. And I spend almost half-a-year sleeping in hotels.

Seriously, how the hell do you tip a cleaning lady? I ain't leaving money laying around in the room (and when I have on accident it's always still there when I get back to the room) and I rarely, if ever actually see the housekeeper because I always leave early in the morning and come back later in the day.

I've been Diamond with Hilton and Platinum with Marriott for over a decade and have never even thought/heard/considered tipping a maid. And I'm one of the most generous/tippingest mofos out there. Weird.

i find this hard to believe

i've always heard like $1-2 a day

i typically leave my Do Not Disturb sign up the whole time i'm there though. i don't really want them in the room with my crap while i'm not there

not to mention knocking on the door when i'm trying to sleep

sooner_born_1960
11/30/2007, 12:25 PM

i typically leave my Do Not Disturb sign up the whole time i'm there though. i don't really want them in the room with my crap while i'm not there

As God is my witness, I've honestly never heard of this practice.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 12:27 PM

so......you tip 1-2 dollars a day..........and leave the "do not disturb" sign up.

That way you can keep the tip.

genious.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/30/2007, 12:38 PM
I managed hotels from 99-2001 and had never heard about it before then.

I have tipped at every stay since then. A few times, I actually worked with them to get a understanding of what their day was like and I dont know how anybody does it. The first night the hotel was open, a guy from Dallas stayed there. He must have left in the middle of the night but I can tell you this about him. He enjoyed taking hot candle wax and pouring it on himself as they spent hours the next day trying to get the wax and blood stains outta the floor.

Also usually the reason they are at your door early is because some cheap owner doesnt want to pay them very much and wants them to get in and out so they dont have to pay them for a full day. I fought with the owners of the hotel I worked in a lot over HKs.

jdsooner
11/30/2007, 04:13 PM
Don't. Won't.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/1/2007, 01:31 AM
I know a lady who came to the U.S. and got a job as a motel maid in California at a motel along Interstate-5.

Back in the day when guests were issued actual metal keys, instead of todays coded door cards, the owner told the manager that he would pay him $1 for every key returned by the guests, to reduce the expense of replacing keys. The manager told the maids to make sure they turn in any keys they found in the rooms so he'd get his bucks.
But nothing for the maids who turned them in!

So whenever the maids found a key, they'd step out the door and throw it as far as they could toward I-5.

Harry Beanbag
12/1/2007, 10:54 AM
I know a lady who came to the U.S. and got a job as a motel maid in California at a motel along Interstate-5.

Back in the day when guests were issued actual metal keys, instead of todays coded door cards, the owner told the manager that he would pay him $1 for every key returned by the guests, to reduce the expense of replacing keys. The manager told the maids to make sure they turn in any keys they found in the rooms so he'd get his bucks.
But nothing for the maids who turned them in!

So whenever the maids found a key, they'd step out the door and throw it as far as they could toward I-5.

Sounds like a call to ICE should have been made.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/1/2007, 03:21 PM
Sounds like a call to ICE should have been made.

Yeah, I have no idea if the owner checked the manager's green card.

1stTimeCaller
12/1/2007, 03:36 PM
why would a citizen have a green card?

nice racist comment there SJS.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/1/2007, 04:59 PM
why would a citizen have a green card?

nice racist comment there SJS.

What does having a green card have to do with race?

Nice racist comment there 1st timer.

And why would a manager necessarily be a citizen? Resident Aliens are eligible for hotel management positions.

olevetonahill
12/2/2007, 04:19 AM
Chill Jaun
I think all Yall bitches are racist . What the hell do keys got to do with tippin the Illegal beaners anyway ?;)
Im not a racist and I dont wave the reb flag or Nuttin .:pop:

soonervegas
12/3/2007, 06:05 PM
just for a second. just to see how it feels.

OU4LIFE
3/14/2008, 07:05 AM
sometimes should have been an option

Boomer.....
3/14/2008, 08:14 AM
No way