PDA

View Full Version : How Protective were you parents of you?

royalfan5
11/29/2007, 11:14 AM
My mom wasn't particularly protective of me. She dropped me off a roof once, and kicked out a basement window and dropped me through it. It also wasn't a big deal for the car seat in my babysitters car to be one that hung on top of the seat in a pre-seat belt Delta-88. I got my head bounced off the metal dash good once because of that. It also wasn't an issue that I would go out on the tractor with the babysitter during irrigation season and ride on the fender. My grandpa used to take me along on the tractor a lot, and I would sit on the floor of the straight truck during harvest and bounce a long. Also I would stick my hands anywhere he told me too, when a smaller hand was needed. Plus, I got to watch R rated movies too. Was this typical?

Also, I backed my Aunt's car into a fence when I was three, because they used to let me sit in cars or on tractors by myself and play with steering wheel. While I couldn't put a tractor in gear, a Caprice Classic wasn't as hard.

yermom
11/29/2007, 11:32 AM
no childproof house could hold me

shortly after walking i had pretty much free range of the neighborhood :D

The Ghost of Joe Morrison
11/29/2007, 11:33 AM
Very. Even after graduating high school, I had a 12:30 a.m. curfew (sp.?). Talk about having to get "business" done early!!!!

Partial Qualifier
11/29/2007, 11:38 AM
no childproof house could hold me

shortly after walking i had pretty much free range of the neighborhood :D

TopDaugIn2000
11/29/2007, 11:50 AM
incredibly overprotective. still is, and I'm 27

fadada1
11/29/2007, 11:53 AM
going to school 1500 miles from home helped curb any overprotection. there was very little to begin with.

helmet with a bike???? HAH!!!!!

Howzit
11/29/2007, 11:55 AM
Not near as protective as I have been as a parent. Jr thinks I am overprtective, I think I am just-rightprotective.

IB4OU2
11/29/2007, 11:55 AM
I had nice understanding not overly protective parents and I never could get that rythym thing but they never cared.

JohnnyMack
11/29/2007, 11:57 AM
Not near as protective as I have been as a parent. Jr thinks I am overprtective, I think I am just-rightprotective.

I would be the overprotective one.

rufnek05
11/29/2007, 12:04 PM
mom was over protective. Dad would let me do what ever the hell I wanted, and when something went wrong, all he would say was "Well, thats what you get for ****ing around"

soonersweetie
11/29/2007, 02:16 PM
funny, my parents were very over protective. I even got to stay out til 2am on prom night, woohoo, lol. But I was very sheltered. Didn't even get to see my first pg movie til I was 12 and then it was only because my aunt took me to it and my mom didn't know....it was the movie Grease, lol.

Now, my parents aren't that way at all. They let me make my own decisions and if I ask them for advice they will give it, but they never offer advice or tell me what to do. I sure hope I'm that way with my kids as they get older.

SoonerBOI
11/29/2007, 02:48 PM
Very protective. Never had enough freedom. In the long run I think parents would always want the best for their children. At 29 and married with two kids they would still check me out.

soonerbrat
11/29/2007, 02:49 PM
not that protective. I don't think I knew what a carseat was til my kids were born..and when I was a pre-teen, we lived out in the country..I'd be outside and nowhere near the house from dawn til dusk..was always out riding horses, chasing cows, swimming in streams and ponds without a lifeguard...

it's amazing I never got seriously hurt.

crawfish
11/29/2007, 02:52 PM
funny, my parents were very over protective. I even got to stay out til 2am on prom night, woohoo, lol. But I was very sheltered. Didn't even get to see my first pg movie til I was 12 and then it was only because my aunt took me to it and my mom didn't know....it was the movie Grease, lol.

Eat the weenie, Roz! :texan:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/29/2007, 02:53 PM
Growing up I thought they were overprotective, but as an adult I can see that for the most part they were just doing the right thing.

There are still a few things that don't make sense. For instance, I couldn't go to a football game for my school in 7th and 8th grade without a parent there, but they would let me go unchaperoned to the movies with a boy.

SicEmBaylor
11/29/2007, 03:00 PM
My parents were VERY liberal parents. I put more restraints on myself than they ever did.

They had no qualms about letting me watch R rated movies whenever I wanted (my favorite movie as a kid was Howard the Duck an HBO flick). Whenever I wanted to go somewhere or do something with my friends it was never an issue. I was never expected to be home at this time or that. I never had a bedtime. They never made me eat certain foods or do certain things.

A lot of people used to think that I must have had very strict parents because I was so conservative and reserved, but it was totally the opposite. What my parents did do, however, was lead by example. They let me set my own limits and guidelines but they did it in an atmosphere that was almost totally devoid of anything "bad." They don't drink, they never got divorced, we spent a lot of time together as a family, etc.

I've actually often wondered if my parents being such liberal parents was because they knew I put limits on myself or if my own limits were a result of their openness. I don't know, but I think they did a lot of things right. They stressed history like few parents ever could. We took at least two vacations a year and EVERY one of them was "history tour" focused primarly throughout the south. My dad stressed military history and my mother cultural history. I could walk you through every WONA battlefield by the time I was 8 and give you the history of every antebellum plantation still standing.

There were mistakes of course...
They never really made me do anything. They never made me sit down and do my homework for example, and I never had any chores. To this day, it's very difficult for me to get motivated to work hard at anything.

fadada1
11/29/2007, 03:28 PM
I put more retaraints on myself than they ever did.

what language is that?

;)

SicEmBaylor
11/29/2007, 03:31 PM
what language is that?

;)
Typonese.

frankensooner
11/29/2007, 03:46 PM
I was the third child, a later in life accident and the only boy. I did pretty much whatever I wanted. My Pops did tell me that there wasn't anything good out after midnight and to always keep a couple of buddies with ya, but that was about the extent of it. When I was in highschool, they would go on vacation and leave me at home for a week or two by myself.

TUSooner
11/29/2007, 03:54 PM
Sometimes they were overprotective, sometimes under. It evened out pretty well.

StoopTroup
11/29/2007, 04:26 PM
They were very protective of me.

They had the locks to the house changed when I was 18. ;)

tommieharris91
11/29/2007, 04:27 PM
My mom is very overportective, being an alt. school teacher and knowing about what the bad things were and who the bad people were. My dad (just like he does now) just lays down and does whatever my mom says.

HskrGrl
11/29/2007, 04:53 PM
The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

HskrGrl
11/29/2007, 04:59 PM
Actually my mom was in the middle of the road. I had a curfew of midnight. For some reason even though my mom was so easy going and I barely ever got into trouble I was scared to death to come home after curfew. HOWEVER... it was extremely easy to tell her I was staying the night at a friend's house and go stay the night with my boyfriend or just hang out with my friends all night going to friends' parties or whatever. She usually didn't check up on me. She might ask what I was going to be doing but I could tell her "Oh Rachel and I are just going to rent some movies and order pizza and have a girl's night in at her house" and that would be the end of it.

When I was a younger kid we went boating all the time. There are a lot of pictures of me swimming in the river beside the boat with no life vest from the age of 3 to 6. I learned how to swim pretty young. We would go off roading in my dad's jeep when I was younger too. I can remember sitting down and holding on for dear life. I was probably 4 and 5 years old then.

yermom
11/29/2007, 05:19 PM
once i was older i had an official curfew of 12:00AM

but i never really bothered. i would often be out til 4:00AM goofing off doing something or another, but i wasn't getting into real trouble

my mom was pretty protective when it came to girls and drugs though.

Mixer!
11/29/2007, 06:44 PM
Actually my mom was in the middle of the road. I had a curfew of midnight. For some reason even though my mom was so easy going and I barely ever got into trouble I was scared to death to come home after curfew. HOWEVER... it was extremely easy to tell her I was staying the night at a friend's house and go stay the night with my boyfriend or just hang out with my friends all night going to friends' parties or whatever. She usually didn't check up on me. She might ask what I was going to be doing but I could tell her "Oh Rachel and I are just going to rent some movies and order pizza and have a girl's night in at her house" and that would be the end of it.

When I was a younger kid we went boating all the time. There are a lot of pictures of me swimming in the river beside the boat with no life vest from the age of 3 to 6. I learned how to swim pretty young. We would go off roading in my dad's jeep when I was younger too. I can remember sitting down and holding on for dear life. I was probably 4 and 5 years old then. So what movie is that quote from? :pop:

jr4ou
11/29/2007, 09:48 PM
I have to be home by 11:30 or the keys get taken away for a week.

sanantoniosooner
11/29/2007, 09:52 PM
I never had a curfew at all.

I was trusted completely.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/30/2007, 03:38 AM
Obviously not protective enough since I m here

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2007, 03:40 AM
After 16, my only real rules were to make sure that your chores were done and to be in by midnight on school nights.

Even before that, though, I was a latchkey kid from 12 on.

olevetonahill
11/30/2007, 03:59 AM
Momma always said " make sure you got Clean underware on , Cause If you get your crazyass kilt , I dont wantem thinking I was a Bad Momma "
My Momma Loved Me :D

yermom
11/30/2007, 04:18 AM
After 16, my only real rules were to make sure that your chores were done and to be in by midnight on school nights.

Even before that, though, I was a latchkey kid from 12 on.

school... nights...?

SoonerTerry
11/30/2007, 05:59 AM
They tried in some areas early on... after 12 or 13 I had free roam but got to live with the consequences..

Really, it's amazing I lived thru it.