PDA

View Full Version : Mizzou sportswriter blog

cvsooner
11/28/2007, 07:06 PM
This is from http://blogs.columbiatribune.com/football/

The stats are kinda interesting, in a perverse sort of way. Funny how most of the top performers aren't playing in the Big 12 title game. Also, in his archive, it's interesting to see what they were actually saying at the time.

"The final regular-season Big 12 stats are in. This is pretty remarkable: Missouri finished among the top three teams in nearly every major category during conference play. Particularly impressive is how strong the defense performed. After reading this list, it’s easy to argue that Missouri was the Big 12’s best and most well-rounded team in league play.

Scoring Offense
1. Missouri: 41.9 points per game
2. Kansas: 39.8 ppg
3. Kansas State: 35.6 ppg

Total Offense
1. Texas Tech: 513.8 yards per game
2. Oklahoma State: 504.9 ypg
3. Missouri: 488.9 ypg

Pass Offense
1. Texas Tech: 466.9
2. Missouri: 333.1
3. Nebraska: 323.6

Pass Efficiency
1. Missouri: 158.9 rating
2. Oklahoma: 157.2 rating
3. Texas Tech: 152.3

Third Down Conversions
1. Missouri: 53.2 percent
2. Oklahoma State: 52.0
3. Oklahoma: 49.5

Scoring Defense
1. Kansas: 21.1 ppg
2. Oklahoma: 21.5 ppg
3. Missouri: 22.6 ppg

Total Defense
1. Missouri: 353.9 ypg
2. Kansas: 368.0
3. Oklahoma: 369.8

Pass Defense
1. Texas Tech: 208.4
2. Oklahoma: 254.8
3. Missouri: 260.9

Rushing Defense
1. Kansas: 89.9
2. Missouri: 93.0
3. Texas: 105.4

Turnover Margin
1. Kansas: Plus-15
2. Missouri: Plus-8
3. Kansas State: Plus-6

Pass Defense Efficiency
1. Kansas: 116.1
2. Missouri: 117.7
3. Oklahoma: 123.3

Sacks
1. Missouri: 19
2. Kansas State: 17
3. Oklahoma State: 15

• Here’s a few more compelling stats to chew on: Looking at common opponents can be misleading, but Oklahoma went 2-2 against Colorado, Iowa State, Texas A&M and Texas Tech and outscored those four 110-82.

Missouri went 4-0 against those same teams and outscored them 178-74.

In four conference games away from home, Oklahoma went 2-2 and outscored its opponents just 96-89.

In four conference games away from home, Missouri went 3-1 and outscored its opponents 171-111."

Mile High Sooner
11/28/2007, 07:21 PM
How many B-12 road games did Mizery play w/o their starting QB?

cvsooner
11/28/2007, 07:24 PM
He also writes, some distance down the page, and the emphasis is mine:

"The turnovers were the difference in that game. Oklahoma should credit themselves for capitalizing on the turnovers rather than whine about Missouri's comments. It's typical, though, for Stoops' team to pick apart comments from the opposition and read too much into them. Remember, this is the team that got caught red-handed creating a fake story by the Kansas City Star several years ago to provide some bulliten board material. Fortunately for MU's sake, the Tigers don't need that sort of fabricated motivation for this game."

Say what? When? Who?

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 07:25 PM
How many times did missou beat Oklahoma?

85sooners
11/28/2007, 07:26 PM
looks like we might not wanna show up saturday night

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 07:29 PM
srsly, why would you compare stats and common opponents and whatnot when one team clearly beat the other?

Stupid tigers.

Ardmore_Sooner
11/28/2007, 07:29 PM
Mizzou is sounding more aggiesh every passing day.

cvsooner
11/28/2007, 07:40 PM
I had completely forgotten about this from 2002:

Fabricated Pinkel quotes get Sooners’ dander up

By DAVE MATTER of the Tribune’s staff
Published Wednesday, October 2, 2002

The Oklahoma Sooners are seeing red thanks to unusually controversial comments attributed to Missouri Coach Gary Pinkel. A story from the Kansas City Star with beat writer Mike DeArmond’s byline was presented to the OU defense on Monday and later appeared on a bulletin board in the Oklahoma locker room.

The story quoted Pinkel as saying, "I don’t want to give them bulletin board material, but just let me say that after watching film on them vs. South Florida they seem very Vulnerable right now."

Except Pinkel never said that.

Nor did he say: "They have a great defense, but I have seen teams in the Mac that I feel were just as good. We certainly feel like we know how to attack there style of play."

Those comments, misspellings and all, later appeared in the story.

Turns out, the story was fabricated. And no one’s laying claim to the dirty work.

DeArmond confirmed he did not write the quotes nor did he hear Pinkel make those comments. Not to mention, the OU version contained grammatical errors and an erroneous date. The story said it was posted "Sun, Sep. 30, 2002." Sunday was Sept. 29.

Neither Pinkel nor OU Coach Bob Stoops would comment on the incident yesterday. Stoops and several of his assistants denied knowing where the story first surfaced.

OU co-defensive coordinator Mike Stoops told the Daily Oklahoman, "I don’t know what" Pinkel "was talking about. Our kids will take that personal, and we’ll use any motivation we can. We’ve never been compared to a MAC team before."

Doctored or not, the comments left some OU players seething.

"We’re going to take that personal," strong safety Eric Bassey told the Daily Oklahoman. "We’re going to take that to heart. You want to call us out? We’ll just see what happens."

Stitch Face
11/28/2007, 07:47 PM
I got no ill will...it's easy to get carried away when you've never been there before.

Octavian
11/28/2007, 07:50 PM
yep, it's amateur hour in the Ozarks

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 08:14 PM
Also, he's left out the Texass game in our road stats.

GoTigers
11/28/2007, 08:22 PM
Mizzou is sounding more aggiesh every passing day.
Don't. Just don't.

Yeah, I live in KC. I remember that fake story thing. It was weird.

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 08:30 PM
Don't. Just don't.

Yeah, I live in KC. I remember that fake story thing. It was weird.It came from your paper, you should. This was the first I've ever heard of it.

GoTigers
11/28/2007, 08:33 PM
It came from your paper, you should. This was the first I've ever heard of it.
Main suspect for writing it up is stoops, but nobody is really sure.

ted_dawson
11/28/2007, 08:38 PM
After last Saturday's game vs OSU, I started hearing about how Missouri nearly beat OU in their earlier game, that it was just a fumble away from doom for the Sooners, and that Missouri ****ed away a 24-23 lead at the start of the 4th quarter.

I just finished watching the Oct 13 OU/Missouri game on DVR, and I gotta say, those stories are a load o'crap. We beat them in every aspect of the game, they couldn't run, they couldn't pass, they couldn't convert on 3rd down. We chased Chase out of the pocket, made him throw away several passes, and generally made life miserable for the Tigers. In no way was the game ever in question, except when we let them score once in the 3rd, then fumbled the kickoff right back to them to give them a short field early in the 4th and they took the 1-point lead. After that series, we went right back on top and continued to pound their backsides.

The way some of the media is spinning it that Missouri "... nearly beat the Sooners..." is way off target. If we play as well as we did that game again, the Tigers will not beat us. Not even close.

GoTigers
11/28/2007, 08:41 PM
After last Saturday's game vs OSU, I started hearing about how Missouri nearly beat OU in their earlier game, that it was just a fumble away from doom for the Sooners, and that Missouri ****ed away a 24-23 lead at the start of the 4th quarter.

I just finished watching the Oct 13 OU/Missouri game on DVR, and I gotta say, those stories are a load o'crap. We beat them in every aspect of the game, they couldn't run, they couldn't pass, they couldn't convert on 3rd down. We chased Chase out of the pocket, made him throw away several passes, and generally made life miserable for the Tigers. In no way was the game ever in question, except when we let them score once in the 3rd, then fumbled the kickoff right back to them to give them a short field early in the 4th and they took the 1-point lead. After that series, we went right back on top and continued to pound their backsides.

The way some of the media is spinning it that Missouri "... nearly beat the Sooners..." is way off target. If we play as well as we did that game again, the Tigers will not beat us. Not even close.
you say that because you knew the outcome. Look at some posts on here and you'll know that some folks were not exactly calm when Mizzou went up 24-23

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 08:50 PM
you say that because you knew the outcome. Look at some posts on here and you'll know that some folks were not exactly calm when Mizzou went up 24-23Yeah, because it looked like we just gave the game away. Sound familiar?

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 08:51 PM
Main suspect for writing it up is stoops, but nobody is really sure.Sure, he needed to do that to get up for the mighty Miss Tigers. :rolleyes:

Didn't we win the Rose bowl in 2002? What bowl did Missou win?

OUinFLA
11/28/2007, 08:51 PM
2 teams have beaten Oklahoma this year,
Mizzou was not one of them.

OU has beaten 10 teams this year,
Mizzou was one of them.

As I review the year, I dont remember any of the scores or stats, but I do remember who won the game.
I'm trusting that Sunday morning I can say the first statement again.

Octavian
11/28/2007, 09:06 PM

That's one of the most pathetically asinine assertions in Big XII history.

<Mizzou fans> Bob Stoops fabricated newspaper articles so his players would get fired up and beat the Mighty Tigers <Mizzou fan>

Yeah, Bob's secret weapon over these last 96 wins has been to cook up fake quotes against conference cupcakes.

A little success has driven some of the Mizzou fanbase into some kind of crackhouse rat, late-90s-K State-style logic.

SCOUT
11/28/2007, 09:07 PM
Stoops is a sports writer too? Man, that Dude is amazing!

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 09:08 PM
That's one of the most pathetically asinine assertions in Big XII history.

<Mizzou fans> Bob Stoops fabricated newspaper articles so his players would get fired up and beat the Mighty Tigers <Mizzou fan>

Yeah, Bob's secret weapon over these last 96 wins has been to cook up fake quotes against conference cupcakes.

A little success has driven some of the Mizzou fanbase into some kind of crackhouse rat, late-90s K-State style logic.Totally agree, exept it was crystal meth not crack.:D

Octavian
11/28/2007, 09:11 PM
Totally agree, exept it was crystal meth not crack.:D

I get confused :D

101sooner
11/28/2007, 09:18 PM
Fricking Ozark Aggies....

sooneron
11/28/2007, 09:23 PM
you say that because you knew the outcome. Look at some posts on here and you'll know that some folks were not exactly calm when Mizzou went up 24-23
I was at the game and I was pretty damn calm, I knew that we would score immediately. Guess what? We did.

ted_dawson
11/28/2007, 09:39 PM

Isn't it amazing that two people can see the same event develop in two different ways?

I heard that Missouri nearly beat us, if it wasn't for that one turnover that changed the game. That wasn't the way I remembered it, so I watched it again to be sure. Sure enough, Missouri got pounded, just the way I remembered it, different than the way the revisionist and hopeful media was now portraying it. Yes, Missouri did beat OU on a couple of drives, but OU was the victor on the other dozen drives. Do you want me to mail you a copy of the game to refresh your memory? Hey, it would be my pleasure to refresh your recollection....

Ardmore_Sooner
11/28/2007, 09:55 PM
What bowl did Missou win?

The answer would be: NONE

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 09:57 PM
The answer would be: NONEAhh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Forever A Tiger
11/28/2007, 10:19 PM
2 teams have beaten Oklahoma this year,
Mizzou was not one of them.

OU has beaten 10 teams this year,
Mizzou was one of them.

As I review the year, I dont remember any of the scores or stats, but I do remember who won the game.
I'm trusting that Sunday morning I can say the first statement again.

If you think what happened the first game has any determination on who will win this game you haven't followed sports very long.

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 10:22 PM
If you think what happened the first game has any determination on who will win this game you haven't followed sports very long.If you don't you haven't paid attention to OU in Big XII Championship games. CU and KSU know exactly how you'll feel about your statement.

MextheBulldog
11/28/2007, 10:30 PM
Misery - Fine, congrats on winning the North. #1 ranking is impressive as well. Now the national spotlight is squarely on your back. We've been there many times before, and know how to win these games. Good luck.

soonerspudman
11/28/2007, 11:09 PM
Missouri would have won that game if it weren't for the 41 points OU scored.

Jello Biafra
11/28/2007, 11:16 PM
If you think what happened the first game has any determination on who will win this game you haven't followed sports very long.

so tell us....has your dline gotten any bigger or stronger? although i don't remember us pounding you badly with the run game, I do remember relaxing and watching sam stand back in the pocket and pick your defense apart o and btw, we still managed to get about 4.3 yards per carry.

for what its worth, we stepped into our stadium that saturday with the famed "texas hangover" and we still "squeeked" one out. this week we will be coming off a 300 yard rushing game and looking to take out our two losses on you.....g'luck to ya

OUinFLA
11/28/2007, 11:25 PM

eh, I didnt say the first game had any determination on the next one, just that I expect the results to be the same.

although I remember listening to my first OU game on the radio in about 1954, you are correct that I haven't followed some sports very long...... like Missouri sports.

SoonerKnight
11/29/2007, 12:36 AM
Isn't it amazing that two people can see the same event develop in two different ways?

I heard that Missouri nearly beat us, if it wasn't for that one turnover that changed the game. That wasn't the way I remembered it, so I watched it again to be sure. Sure enough, Missouri got pounded, just the way I remembered it, different than the way the revisionist and hopeful media was now portraying it. Yes, Missouri did beat OU on a couple of drives, but OU was the victor on the other dozen drives. Do you want me to mail you a copy of the game to refresh your memory? Hey, it would be my pleasure to refresh your recollection....

Just mail me a copy of the game so I can watch it I was unable to watch the first game!!! :D

TheHumanAlphabet
11/29/2007, 01:12 AM
We're doomed!

Lott's Bandana
11/29/2007, 01:14 AM
In keeping with their State Motto: SHOW ME

NCAA OFFICIAL WEBSITE:
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/ranking_summary/2007000000522.HTML

Synopsis:

Sooners leading the cunny in Kickoff Returns.
Just missing Passing Efficiency by 0.67.
Sooners lead the Big XII in: Rush Defense, Kickoff Returns, Passing Efficiency, Sacks, Sacks Allowed.

Mizz leads the cunny in NOTHING.
Mizz leads the Big XII in NOTHING.

Mr. Blogger went to the Mike Freeman School of Journalfurshizzie.

Aside from the Journalistic Mythology coming from the basketball school:

Innersting numerals methinks. See how tOSU and KU lead the defensive stats, and the NatMedja claims KU was overrated and didn't play anyone? Watch what happens to da buckos when they play a real team.

Sooner_Havok
11/29/2007, 01:33 AM

No, but you seem to think that what you did against shared opponents does. Normally we only have to do this with the aggriods, but you fellows seem pretty dense so:

Oklahoma Beat Texas
Texas Beat Texas Tech
Texas Tech Beat Oklahoma

damn, football isn't transitive. Wait, this time:

Missou beat Colorado
Colorado beat Oklahoma
Oklahoma Beat Mizzou

Well sh*t, transitive property still isn't working. Ok, one more time:

UCLA Beat BYU
BYU Beat Zona
Zona beat Oregon
Oregon beat USC
USC beat Nebraska
Nebraska beat Wake Forest
Wake Forest beat Florida State
Florida State beat Boston College
Boston College beat Virgina Tech
Virgina Tech Beat Virgina
Virgina beat Rutgers
Rutgers beat South Florida
South Florida beat Auburn
Auburn beat Florida
Florida beat Tennessee
Tennessee beat Georgia
Georgia Beat Oklahoma State
Oklahoma State Beat Kansas State
Kansas State beat Texas
Texas TCU
TCU beat UNLV
UNLV beat Utah
Utah beat UCLA

There, that finally proves that...OH %&^$ that still doesn't prove that football in transitive, all that work....:mad:

Well, I guess your stats against shared opponents has the same bearing on our upcoming games as our previously beating you has... NOT A GAWD DAMN THING!!!

STFU, get off our boards if you are going to be whinny little biotches, oh, and next time you decide to come up with a clever little sign at a football game, make sure it can't be reversed extremely easily and used on you:

Missouri Football, A tradition since September.

Soonerfan88
11/29/2007, 02:57 AM

In 10 years of conference championship games, there have been 10 rematches. The winning team has a 7-3 record in the 2nd game so I don't think history is on your side. And 2 of those wins were by Bob Stoops at OU.

But I'll bet you were hoping we would be scared of that old line about it being harder to beat a team twice in the same season, weren't you? :rolleyes:

Crucifax Autumn
11/29/2007, 03:19 AM
This is ridiculous...We'll win convincingly and anyone who doubts that should be forced to eat maggots from a tigger's ***.

SoonerKnight
11/29/2007, 03:44 AM
How is it that Missouri loses to OU then the week before they are going to lose again they come on this board and talk smack. Really I can not understand that. Okay Missouri fans you beat Kansas who really gives a ****!!! You have not beaten OU since Stoops has been here oh and this is your first time to play OU in post season play. Man you guys have no idea!!!!

Lott's Bandana
11/29/2007, 08:25 AM
This is ridiculous...We'll win convincingly and anyone who doubts that should be forced to eat maggots from a tigger's ***.

Cough.

<setting aside my Rice Krispies>

tigerfan23
11/29/2007, 08:30 AM
srsly, why would you compare stats and common opponents and whatnot when one team clearly beat the other?

Stupid tigers.

Do you think playing at home might have made a difference????

Jello Biafra
11/29/2007, 08:33 AM
Do you think playing at home might have made a difference????

and? how may points is "home" worth? we beat you by 17....

face it. you guys have had some weapons on your team for a few years now. you just don't match up well against us. period. point blank. good luck to you next year.

ted_dawson
11/29/2007, 08:57 AM
Just mail me a copy of the game so I can watch it I was unable to watch the first game!!! :D

Can't get it in the mail before Saturday, but I'll sure send it as soon as I can! Just ping me with the address....

ted_dawson
11/29/2007, 09:00 AM
.....they come on this board and talk smack.....

Perhaps we should return the favor?

EstablishedSooner1967
11/29/2007, 09:04 AM
The ONLY stat that matters and I would be willing to bet if you ask coaches would be the final score stat! I dont care if a team runs up and down on the field but never more points than the other team.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/29/2007, 10:18 AM
Missouri would have won that game if it weren't for the 41 points OU scored.

Dude, you haven't been paying attention. In the new game you no longer win by scoring more points than the other team. You win by having more turnovers and having more yards.