PDA

View Full Version : WVU invented the spread?

CORNholio
11/28/2007, 05:39 PM
Heard this the other day. Had no idea. Is this true or on par with "the Bear" inventing cheesburgers and heaven?

Boomer.....
11/28/2007, 05:41 PM
I think that they had something about that in the movie We Are Marshall.

85sooners
11/28/2007, 06:49 PM
:rolleyes:

StoopTroup
11/28/2007, 06:55 PM
Their Pimento Spread is great.

rainiersooner
11/28/2007, 06:55 PM
I think it's true. Took them another 30 years to perfect it apparently.

LittleWingSooner
11/28/2007, 07:07 PM
Spreading out the offensive line to make an offense more effective isn't really a new thing. It just wasn't used in passing till more recently.

chad
11/28/2007, 09:49 PM
History of the Spread Offense

While Mouse Davis is commonly referred to as the father of the spread offense, Glenn Ellison is the real father.[1] His version is known as the Run & Shoot offense; however, the scheme (which was originally started as a run-first offense in 1958) has evolved over the past forty-five years into a much more complex scheme. Its first evolution came about in 1962 when Davis adapted his philosophy to Ellison's but created a more pass first version. Today coaches like June Jones (Hawaiʻi), Jerry Moore (Appalachian State), Rich Rodriguez (West Virginia), Guy Morriss (Baylor) and Mike Bellotti (Oregon) and most recently Urban Meyer (Florida) have taken the spread offense to a new level. High School coaches across the nation have adapted some version of this scheme with great success (most notably Todd Dodge, formerly of Southlake Carroll High School in North Texas - now with the North Texas Mean Green). Several college programs have used some version of the spread offense, among them

You could say it was started with Portland State University with Mouse Davis, but created by a high school coach Glenn Ellison.

Davis led PSU football program to a 42-24 record over six seasons, averaged 38 points and nearly 500 yards of offense per game. PSU led the nation in scoring three times. The unique passing game made stars out of Davis’ two main quarterbacks, one of which now coaches at Hawaii.

The fact that the spread formation led the nation in offense in the 70's is what popularized it and helped it evolve into what we have today.

I obviously had to look this up, but it is good to know.

A fun fact, the spread is the most popular offense run by high schools.

GoTigers
11/28/2007, 09:58 PM
I don't really think they invented the spread... they don't really even run a pure spread. I also disagree with the statement that the spread comes from the Run 'n Shoot. The Run n Shoot is a whole different animal than the spread. Run n Shoot really just means PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS. The spread is a lot more versatile and running is still a viable option from the spread.

Blues1
11/29/2007, 12:07 AM
You probably won't believe this, but my junior high team in Chicago use the spread offense in 1957 -58 - I don't know where we got it from but we stole it from somebody...It's been around alot longer than most people think,I know that for sure...(I'm pretty sure we got from a local high school on the south side--Lindbloom High School I think..??)
Yep Still R'

LittleWingSooner
11/29/2007, 12:27 AM
If you read a Book on Bud Wilkinson called I Remember Bud Wilkinson it is mentioned in there that OU would sometimes run a shotgun offense with their wide spreads and pass it with Jim Harris. Bud didn't invent this of course. It was used some in the NFL but with the wide spreads OU used back then you can probably say it originated from back then.

Crucifax Autumn
11/29/2007, 01:29 AM
This is actually a pretty interesting discussion. Kinda funny considering how all the "experts" act like it's a new thing.

OU Adonis
11/29/2007, 04:58 AM
The run and shoot has recievers run routes based on what the defense is in and what it gives them. The spread has pre determined routes.

SoonerMom2
11/29/2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the information. Always can count on you guys to set the record straight when some university tries to claim it was their idea. Love the internet and how things can be debunked like WVU was responsible for the spread offense.

11/29/2007, 11:45 AM
No, not the "spread offense", but the "zone read" from the shot gun. And it wasn't WVU, but Rich Rodriguez

SOONER STEAKER
11/29/2007, 11:46 AM
I didn't know that peanut butter and bread came from WV.

Blitzkrieg
11/29/2007, 04:09 PM
The qb "zone read" is their claim to fame, because a QB missed a handoff and took off running. Hardly rocket science.

LittleWingSooner
11/29/2007, 04:42 PM
The qb "zone read" is their claim to fame, because a QB missed a handoff and took off running. Hardly rocket science.

Actually the QB read the end and decided to keep it. The coach thought it was a mistake. I'm guessing the QB was an option QB in HS and read the end. So basically the offense stole from the option offenses that read ends.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2007, 09:04 PM
I remember once when WVU collided with OU and some of OU's wishbone got into WVU's spread. Heh.

Some of WVU's spread also got into OU's wishbone. Both teams really liked the results.

GoTigers
11/29/2007, 10:23 PM
I remember once when WVU collided with OU and some of OU's wishbone got into WVU's spread. Heh.

Some of WVU's spread also got into OU's wishbone. Both teams really liked the results.
That's creepy.