PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys starting to take Roy Williams off the field in passing situations

usmc-sooner
11/28/2007, 03:00 PM
just heard them talking about this on the radio. They said Roy said he would do whatever's best for the team.

85sooners
11/28/2007, 03:13 PM
team player

KHS Sooner
11/28/2007, 03:15 PM
I thought he did a ok job covering the pass.......I quess there looking for more than ok.

usmc-sooner
11/28/2007, 03:15 PM
they were talking like it was a demotion, but said he's handling it well.

SoonerProphet
11/28/2007, 03:17 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8T6CCT80.html

usmc-sooner
11/28/2007, 03:22 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8T6CCT80.html
that's kinda how I took the guy on the radio, but he made it sound like it might be more of a permanent thing. I guess we'll see tomorrow against Green Bay. Hopefully he's out there making plays.

Curly Bill
11/28/2007, 08:54 PM
Wow, I had not heard this! That's a pretty bad deal when you're a safety and they take you off the field in passing situations. I really want to see if this actually happens. I will admit though that no better then he's covered the pass, and the way teams are now looking to pick on him, it might make sense...but to be a safety and pulled in passing situations? OUCH! :(

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 08:55 PM
Just one step closer to LB.

Curly Bill
11/28/2007, 09:13 PM
Just one step closer to LB.

Bingo! We have a winner!

I've always maintained Roy is an undersized linebacker. Problem with that is Dallas has some big ol' linebackers, and that's pretty much necessary in the 3-4.

toneful
11/28/2007, 10:18 PM
Bingo! We have a winner!

I've always maintained Roy is an undersized linebacker. Problem with that is Dallas has some big ol' linebackers, and that's pretty much necessary in the 3-4.

it takes certain skills to do what LBs do. Fighting off blocks and pursuit are things safeties aren't conditioned to do.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/28/2007, 10:30 PM
great against the rush, and a great tackler. but the last two years, he has done poorly against the pass.

soonersn2007
11/28/2007, 10:34 PM
Great news, but the link is just a white page.

Curly Bill
11/28/2007, 11:11 PM
it takes certain skills to do what LBs do. Fighting off blocks and pursuit are things safeties aren't conditioned to do.

Safeties aren't conditioned to pursue? Every pursuit drill I've ever seen the safeties are in there just like the LB's and the rest of the defensive players. If you want to say it's a different angle remember that Roy plays up close to the LOS a lot of the time anyway so that would not be an issue. He probably would have a tougher time fighting off blocks because he would not be big or especially strong for a LB'er, but then that's why I said he was undersized for a LB. I also said that in Dallas' 3-4 defense he could not play LB, at least steadily, because the 3-4 really needs bigger LB'ers.

colleyvillesooner
11/28/2007, 11:19 PM
he will never play linebacker. Cowboys need to sign the best cover safety on the market next year.

Curly Bill
11/28/2007, 11:26 PM
he will never play linebacker. Cowboys need to sign the best cover safety on the market next year.

I totally agree.

By saying he's an undersized LB I'm essentially saying he's a linebacker in a safety's body. I don't think you'll ever see him at LB either. He has to be used though in such a way that he's essentially playing up close to the LOS as a linebacker would...whatever title you want to give that position. Back in the olden days we would call that a strong safety, but in todays football and the prevalence of the passing game and defenses in cover-2 looks most of the time, the true strong safety no longer exists.

Can you imagine Roy playing that strong safety position when the NFL was a run first league?

Half a Hundred
11/29/2007, 01:09 AM
I totally agree.

By saying he's an undersized LB I'm essentially saying he's a linebacker in a safety's body. I don't think you'll ever see him at LB either. He has to be used though in such a way that he's essentially playing up close to the LOS as a linebacker would...whatever title you want to give that position. Back in the olden days we would call that a strong safety, but in todays football and the prevalence of the passing game and defenses in cover-2 looks most of the time, the true strong safety no longer exists.

Can you imagine Roy playing that strong safety position when the NFL was a run first league?

Prolly would have forced opposing offenses to go to the schemes they are running now. :D

I love Roy just as much as the next dyed-in-the-wool Sooner fan, but this is the right move for the 'Boys.

goingoneight
11/29/2007, 01:14 AM
Have any of you watched on those passing downs? He has been known to play middle linebacker a few times. I don't know if he has any tackles, but I've seen him do it.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/29/2007, 01:18 AM
I thought they have been moving him in on passing downs and bringing in another safety..Basically playing him at the Roy position

goingoneight
11/29/2007, 01:23 AM
That article makes it sound like Dallas is phasing him out when he's still among the best in the league. They've done better this year with the cornerback play, which was horrendous last year. Roy was getting blamed for Henry's shortcomings (I think that's the boundary guy's name). Seriously, everytime a tighet end, running back, WR or even sometime the fullback caught a pass and broke a tackle it was like people felt it was Roy's fault. It's not like Dallas has a consistent, fast pass rush, either.