PDA

View Full Version : The Role as a #1

SteelClip49
11/28/2007, 08:36 AM
I know this has been mentioned to some extent in other threads such as Missouri being worthy or good enough as a #1 team or they are just there because, like other teams, have fallen and they just work their way up. But, my question would be, is Missouri the most shocking #1 you have seen in your lifetime or when you started following College Football or just all time?

I would have to say yes in my lifetime because of the fact they for many years have been either in the middle of the Big Eight and between the middle and the bottom of the Big XII. They have been very decent last few seasons leading up to what they are now so it isn't too much of a shock they are this good but to be the #1 team in the nation now is just a total surprise.

Right now, Missouri reminds me of the total surprise 2003-2004 St. Joseph's basketball squad who eventually made it to #1 in the polls and even though their first loss came to Xavier in the A10 Tournament, they still held on to the #1 ranking and earned a #1 seed in the tournament. They proved not to be overrated as they made the Elite Eight and fell short by a memorable Lucas three pointer to send Oklahoma State to the Final Four. So, 2007 Missouri football reminds me of 2004 St. Joes hoops squad that made it to the top.

Now, IF Missouri does win on saturday, then I think it will become the automatic second biggest shocker in college football history; #1 shocker being BYU in 1984.

Also, with Missouri being at #1 right now and in line to play for the national title, I am wondering, even more, why Boise State was denied the opportunity last year? Boise State did have a good schedule; better than this years and any mid-major in recent memory.

BoonesFarmSooner
11/28/2007, 08:52 AM
Missouri #1
Oklahoma #9

Playing on a neutral field.

OU is FAVORED by 3

Teams that have been able to survive (Missouri, West Va, Ohio State) will get rewarded, but those aren't the best 3 teams in the country.

sooneron
11/28/2007, 09:02 AM
Also, with Missouri being at #1 right now and in line to play for the national title, I am wondering, even more, why Boise State was denied the opportunity last year? Boise State did have a good schedule; better than this years and any mid-major in recent memory.
For the last time, and this has been voiced by MANY on this board. BSU would have had no business in the title game last year. They needed well-executed trick plays and multiple OT to beat Bob Stoops' 4th best team. Could they have shocked Fla and given them a game? Maybe (albeit rarely as the any given saturday applies), but I doubt it.

SteelClip49
11/28/2007, 09:16 AM
Well, it will not be for the last time and can't be voiced enough regarding it. Boise was an exception last year because they had a decent schedule that was good enough to propel them to a title shot.

I know you can't look at it this way but still, it is something to think about:
Boise State defeated Oregon State
Oregon State defeated USC
USC defeated Michigan

If we do not include teams like Boise State in the BCS title mix, then D1A football needs to be divided in half: D1A BCS and D1A Mid-Major.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/28/2007, 09:23 AM
I presume the question is since the start of the BCS? Otherwise I would say BYU.

I would probably say Missouri or South Florida though I think BC or KU getting to #2 is more suprising than any #1.