PDA

View Full Version : Texas Readers - Please check this out

Suerreal
11/28/2007, 12:44 AM
What if there were a website where you could, in about 1 minute, register as an organ donor?

Would you do it?

Well, there is. It's at DonateLifeTexas (donatelifetexas.org). They do ask for some personal information, but are linked to from the main site for UNOS (United Network for Organ Sharing), and so I believe them to be completely legitimate.

Suerreal
11/28/2007, 12:47 AM
PS - there is not a donatelifeoklahoma site specific to OK, but OK residents can register at www.lifeshareregistry.org

olevetonahill
11/28/2007, 01:10 AM
I would love to be a donor
But I cant even Donate Blood :mad:
Seems like since I got a few tranfusions and was Exposed to Hep c then Vacinated against em all .
I will encourage all to become Donors that can tho .

Ike
11/28/2007, 01:35 AM
I don't live in texas...but I'm still not so sure about the whole organ donation thing...primarily because in the chance that I am in a life and death situation, I don't want the doctors in the room to have any idea whether or not I'm an organ donor.

If things were done in such a way that hospitals and docs couldn't know your organ donor status until you were dead, then I'd think about it....But then again, I don't know that they'd want my organs...I plan on maxing them out before I go.

Suerreal
11/28/2007, 01:56 AM
Sigh.

Your body has to still be alive in order to harvest vital organs.

Your brain has to be dead, as determined by several different objective measures including monitors showing flatline electrical activity or scans showing absence of blood flow throughout the brain. This isn't just some doc's opinion that you're beyond saving. Your brain is dead. Your body & organs will soon follow no matter how many tubes and machines you're hooked up to.

Given a chance to save the person they're working on or a chance to help people they'll never see, I can absolutely guarantee that any docs & nurses will make saving the person in front of them and offering hope to the family and friends to whom they have to deliver good or bad news, their top priority.

olevetonahill
11/28/2007, 02:26 AM
Sigh.

Your body has to still be alive in order to harvest vital organs.

Your brain has to be dead, as determined by several different objective measures including monitors showing flatline electrical activity or scans showing absence of blood flow throughout the brain. This isn't just some doc's opinion that you're beyond saving. Your brain is dead. Your body & organs will soon follow no matter how many tubes and machines you're hooked up to.

Given a chance to save the person they're working on or a chance to help people they'll never see, I can absolutely guarantee that any docs & nurses will make saving the person in front of them and offering hope to the family and friends to whom they have to deliver good or bad news, their top priority.
I agree with what ur sayin , No Doc is gonna cut the gas off Cause he thinks some body else needs ur Kidney , liver , Eyeballs etc.
But Like Ike said Mine are gonna be so worn out they aint gonna be No milage left