PDA

View Full Version : Mizzou's defense...average...below average...

Soonerus
11/27/2007, 11:01 PM
...poor ???

Redshirt
11/27/2007, 11:07 PM
Good, not great.

FirstandGoal
11/27/2007, 11:13 PM
**** missouri

Soonerus
11/27/2007, 11:15 PM
below average....

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2007, 11:25 PM
IN CONF PLAY
1st in Total D
3rd against the pass
2nd in rush D
2nd In turnover margin

76soonergrad
11/28/2007, 02:08 AM
They're decent. Got a safety vs. Kansas. They can drop back & cover.

Can they maintain the intensity for 4 quarters? Will they pressure Sam all day?

at least average. But have no experience in "the big game."

Crucifax Autumn
11/28/2007, 02:32 AM
And not much experience beating us either!

GoTigers
11/28/2007, 09:24 AM
IN CONF PLAY
1st in Total D
3rd against the pass
2nd in rush D
2nd In turnover margin

Yeah, that.

Also, kU had 42 rush yards at arrowhead

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/28/2007, 09:36 AM
Rush defense...above average, good but not great a little overrated, a number of teams have been behind and scrapped the run so the rankings are a little inflated. It did take us until the 4th quarter to break them last time, though I think a couple of our turnovers cost us a chance to wear them down sooner.

Pass defense....pretty good pass rush, a lot of blitzes...average secondary. Moore is very good, rest of the secondary is below average. I think they will have a real tough time with intermediate routes. KU had receivers open the whole game against MU. Reesing missed the mark on severa plays early and didn't see open receivers a couple other times.

85sooners
11/28/2007, 09:48 AM
**** missouriyeah f em!

Sevaer
11/28/2007, 09:51 AM
For the tiger fan that got all excited about stoping mighty Kansas in running the ball, Oklahoma is not Kansas. We've got a massive offensive line that can open holes for our backs. We're not afraid of your defense.

GoTigers
11/28/2007, 11:15 AM
For the tiger fan that got all excited about stoping mighty Kansas in running the ball, Oklahoma is not Kansas. We've got a massive offensive line that can open holes for our backs. We're not afraid of your defense.
Holding any team to 42 yards on the ground is an accomplishment for any team. By the way, earlier this year your leading rusher was Chris Brown with 67 yards. Is your O-Line only good for 25 yards? ;)

Our secondary is pretty good, but we have a lot of underclassmen. Freshman Gettis is good too.

KHS Sooner
11/28/2007, 11:20 AM
Holding any team to 42 yards on the ground is an accomplishment for any team. By the way, earlier this year your leading rusher was Chris Brown with 67 yards. Is your O-Line only good for 25 yards? ;)

Our secondary is pretty good, but we have a lot of underclassmen. Freshman Gettis is good too.

But.................you lost.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/28/2007, 11:30 AM

I'm not trying to play the Mack Brown "we ran out of time card" but OU pretty well ran the ball at will in the 4th quarter. OU's turnovers early kept them from pounding the ball as much and the offense was short one possesion in the 4th quarter because the defense scored an MU got the ball right back.

So I would say MU did very well against the run for 3 quarters and then OU took over and then ran the ball right down the field.

Patrick did pretty well running the ball last year in Columbia. Before last weeks game that was his career best.

MU certainly is capable of winning but I don't think there is much comparison between the OU and KU O-lines.

cj@mizzou
11/28/2007, 11:37 AM
But.................you lost.

Yea we did lose, and its as simple as that. Anyone that says we GAVE that game away is lying to themselves. OU outplayed us. As for "giving" the game away, the Sooners winning was anything but lucky. The only gift they received was the botched exchange to Maclin. That was a free 6. Missouri got a gift on their first kickoff of the game.. it goes both aways, and OU came out on top.

The Missouri defense is not the best, thats for sure, but they're not the pushovers some of you are making them out to be. They're more mature than they were the first time these two teams played.

All respect to the Sooner line and Bradford. Oklahoma's OL will still dominate. I look for Missouri's D to force one or two critical mistakes if we want to win handily. If both teams make the same mistakes, this game will def be a shootout and another 4th quarter game.

KHS Sooner
11/28/2007, 11:38 AM
Yea we did lose, and its as simple as that. Anyone that says we GAVE that game away is lying to themselves. OU outplayed us. As for "giving" the game away, the Sooners winning was anything but lucky. The only gift they received was the botched exchange to Maclin. That was a free 6. Missouri got a gift on their first kickoff of the game.. it goes both aways, and OU came out on top.

The Missouri defense is not the best, thats for sure, but they're not the pushovers some of you are making them out to be. They're more mature than they were the first time these two teams played.

All respect to the Sooner line and Bradford. Oklahoma's OL will still dominate. I look for Missouri's D to force one or two critical mistakes if we want to win handily. If both teams make the same mistakes, this game will def be a shootout and another 4th quarter game.

Right on the money. :D

OUster
11/28/2007, 11:40 AM

Dare I say...Mizzou fans are reasonable!?

Forever A Tiger
11/28/2007, 11:49 AM
Any fans of either team who thinks this game will be similar or the same as the first game are kidding themselves. That was seven weeks ago. I know Mizzou is not the same team now as they were then and I assume OU isn't either.

I'm glad we won that game for a few reasons; no pressure of being undefeated, we're not the team having to beat the other team twice, and our players certainly know they have to play their very best to have a chance to win.

Also, those of you who are counting on Mizzou to turn the ball over 4 times this game are kidding themselves. I also don't expect OU to turn it over twice or for Bradford to hit one of our DBs in the numbers again or if he does for him to drop it. Perhaps some of you have forgotten that play when Pig dropped what should have been a sure pick in the end zone just before OU retook the lead in the 4th quarter. I don't think it's an exagerration to say that play had a huge effect.

I'm looking forward to a great game that will be fought hard on both sides. While I think Mizzou will win I wouldn't bet $5 either way.

KHS Sooner
11/28/2007, 11:51 AM
Any fans of either team who thinks this game will be similar or the same as the first game are kidding themselves. That was seven weeks ago. I know Mizzou is not the same team now as they were then and I assume OU isn't either.

I'm glad we won that game for a few reasons; no pressure of being undefeated, we're not the team having to beat the other team twice, and our players certainly know they have to play their very best to have a chance to win.

Also, those of you who are counting on Mizzou to turn the ball over 4 times this game are kidding themselves. I also don't expect OU to turn it over twice or for Bradford to hit one of our DBs in the numbers again or if he does for him to drop it. Perhaps some of you have forgotten that play when Pig dropped what should have been a sure pick in the end zone just before OU retook the lead in the 4th quarter. I don't think it's an exagerration to say that play had a huge effect.

I'm looking forward to a great game that will be fought hard on both sides. While I think Mizzou will win I wouldn't bet $5 either way.

Not our fault you have horrible DB's ;)

Forever A Tiger
11/28/2007, 11:55 AM
Actually I'm sure you're well aware that in this case you are very fortunate that Pig Brown is not playing. Just as we will be if Inglish (not sure if I spelled that right) isn't playing.

KHS Sooner
11/28/2007, 11:56 AM
Who is Pig Brown?

jeepdad
11/28/2007, 11:57 AM

Dude, seriously, go back and look at the play-by-play of the 4th quarter. OU did put together an impressive opening drive to regain the lead 29-24, but after that:

Chase Daniel fumbles on a botched handoff at his own 12-yard line; Curtis Lofton picks it up and runs for an easy TD. Score: 35-24.

Chase is sacked by English (play of the quarter for OU) and Mizzou forced to punt from midfield.

Oklahoma forced to punt.

On first play from scrimmage, Chase throws an interception that gives OU the ball at Mizzou's 24-yard line; OU scores three plays later. Score: 41-24.

Mizzou mounts a 16-play, 80-yard drive resulting in a "phantom" TD in the closing seconds to make it 41-31.

It doesn't take a genius to see that Mizzou largely self destructed in the final 15 minutes. Yes, English had a critical sack that stymied a Mizzou drive at mind-field and forced a punt. Other than that, it's not too difficult to see how Mizzou players (and fans) feel like they let the game slip away.

KHS Sooner
11/28/2007, 12:02 PM
Dude, seriously, go back and look at the play-by-play of the 4th quarter. OU did put together an impressive opening drive to regain the lead 29-24, but after that:

Chase Daniel fumbles on a botched handoff at his own 12-yard line; Curtis Lofton picks it up and runs for an easy TD. Score: 35-24.

Chase is sacked by English (play of the quarter for OU) and Mizzou forced to punt from midfield.

Oklahoma forced to punt.

On first play from scrimmage, Chase throws an interception that gives OU the ball at Mizzou's 24-yard line; OU scores three plays later. Score: 41-24.

Mizzou mounts a 16-play, 80-yard drive resulting in a "phantom" TD in the closing seconds to make it 41-31.

It doesn't take a genius to see that Mizzou largely self destructed in the final 15 minutes. Yes, English had a critical sack that stymied a Mizzou drive at mind-field and forced a punt. Other than that, it's not too difficult to see how Mizzou players (and fans) feel like they let the game slip away.

And what makes you think that you wont do the same this time?

Sevaer
11/28/2007, 12:03 PM
As far as the pressure of being the team that has to beat the other team twice, I don't think Oklahoma is worried about that. They've been there before, twice in the Big Twelve championship, and have won both. If you Missouri fans want to brag on your team, you should brag about your offense, I doubt any Sooner fan will dispute that you have a great offense. I think your defense last Saturday played with lots of emotion and played better, but I certainly would'nt count on your defense stopping Oklahoma. After all, our offense is pretty good itself. Don't forget we have one of the top quarterbacks in the nation too!

You've got to remember, it does count for something having experience playing in big games like this.

I expect Missouri will be playing uptight, while Oklahoma will be loose and comfortable. I think that is one reason why Missouri played so well last week, because I think Kansas was tight while Missouri was loose.

jeepdad
11/28/2007, 12:08 PM
And what makes you think that you wont do the same this time?

Could very well happen. If it does, then we'll suck it up and enjoy the Cotton Bowl.

GoTigers
11/28/2007, 12:13 PM
As far as the pressure of being the team that has to beat the other team twice, I don't think Oklahoma is worried about that. They've been there before, twice in the Big Twelve championship, and have won both. If you Missouri fans want to brag on your team, you should brag about your offense, I doubt any Sooner fan will dispute that you have a great offense. I think your defense last Saturday played with lots of emotion and played better, but I certainly would'nt count on your defense stopping Oklahoma. After all, our offense is pretty good itself. Don't forget we have one of the top quarterbacks in the nation too!

You've got to remember, it does count for something having experience playing in big games like this.

I expect Missouri will be playing uptight, while Oklahoma will be loose and comfortable. I think that is one reason why Missouri played so well last week, because I think Kansas was tight while Missouri was loose.
If we were loose last week, why would we be tight this week?

cvsooner
11/28/2007, 12:15 PM
Daniel's on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week...you guys are toast.

Sevaer
11/28/2007, 12:17 PM
I'ts obvious, all the pressure is on Missouri. Your #1, you've never been to the Big Twelve championship game.

Last week, you played on what is supposed to be a neutral site, which is located in Kansas City, Missouri. You played pretty well the same Kansas team you beat last year. That's why you played loose.

This time, your playing the Sooners, which you haven't beaten in years, including this year!

TexasEx4OU
11/28/2007, 01:39 PM
Dare I say...this particular Mizzou fan is reasonable!?

Fixed...

TexasEx4OU
11/28/2007, 01:41 PM
Dare I say...this particular Mizzou fan is reasonable!?

Fixed...again. It bore repeating. ;)

CobraKai
11/28/2007, 02:01 PM

I agree pretty much across the board. Sounds reasonable.

cvsooner
11/28/2007, 02:17 PM
The Mizzou fans who've been posting have been good.

As to the original question, their defense has been good enough to help them win 11 games. Not superb, by any means, but good enough to hang in there while the offense scores a ton of points. Based on their record, I'd have to say they're above average.

SCOUT
11/28/2007, 02:30 PM
I love the "self-destructed" argument. Perhaps the OU defense had a hand in that unraveling?

I know, I know, Missouri's defense forced their turnovers and the Missouri offense gave theirs away. OU was ancillary to all of the major plays. It was lucky for Auston that the Missouri offensive line broke down allowing him to make that sack. :rolleyes:

Position Limit
11/28/2007, 02:41 PM

Oklahoma forced to punt.

all of that sounds good, but the reality is that missouri at no point in the game was much of a threat. and yes, that includes the 2 point lead they had for about 2 min. i cant believe how much this is being used as an excuse to hide behind that fact that missouri is an inferior team top to bottom. i think it speaks volumns that these excuses is missouri's body of evidence for being able to compete with the talent at OU. lemmings! missouri team and fans buying into a fallacy that will end painfully. the cotton bowl will be a nice stepping stone for mizzou. a victory in dallas will give you something to build on for next year.

NYC Poke
11/28/2007, 02:55 PM
Who is Pig Brown?

First team Big XII safety.

But he should have gone to Arkansas.

Animal Mother
11/28/2007, 06:19 PM
Plays are part of the context of a game. Singling them out and saying that because it was a turnover it was a self inflicted wound is just goofy. You pick up the ball on defense you become the offense and you get points for reaching the end zone. Lofton’s TD was not a "free score". Turnovers are part of the game and saying they were gifts is just more “correctional bravado” by those that lost. Rationalization if you will.
I’ll call it “D” denial and denial ain’t just a river.

cj@mizzou
11/28/2007, 06:29 PM
Plays are part of the context of a game. Singling them out and saying that because it was a turnover it was a self inflicted wound is just goofy. You pick up the ball on defense you become the offense and you get points for reaching the end zone. Lofton’s TD was not a "free score". Turnovers are part of the game and saying they were gifts is just more “correctional bravado” by those that lost. Rationalization if you will.
I’ll call it “D” denial and denial ain’t just a river.

You're bats**t crazy if you think that 6 points was anything else than a gift. A lot of teams could pick up that fumble and return it 12 yds with a "6ft" QB on their back. The Sooners didn't force that mistake. Maybe we could've brought Lofton down? Even if we did, I personally don't see Mizzou's D stopping OU from getting 6 after that play. OU scores points in the redzone... but guess what!?

Mizzou scores points too! They had a very uncharacteristic game in Norman if you look at the rest of their season. The Sooner D had a hand in it, but I look for Chase to make it rain on Saturday. Even confident Sooners must know if Mizzou has a characteristic game, winning won't be easy.

Like I said before, Mizzou's defense is better than it was in Norman. This game could easily go both ways. Just depends on who shows up. BOTH teams are just as capable of winning this game!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/28/2007, 06:39 PM
make it rain on Saturday.

Your getting Pacman'd for that..

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/football/nfl/04/10/suspensions/p1_pacman_biever.jpg

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 06:40 PM
Actually I'm sure you're well aware that in this case you are very fortunate that Pig Brown is not playing. Just as we will be if Inglish (not sure if I spelled that right) isn't playing.English (I'm not sure you speak it).

cj@mizzou
11/28/2007, 06:48 PM
Your getting Pacman'd for that..

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/football/nfl/04/10/suspensions/p1_pacman_biever.jpg
:O

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 06:48 PM
Oklahoma forced to punt.
It doesn't take a genius to see that Mizzou largely self destructed in the final 15 minutes. Yes, English had a critical sack that stymied a Mizzou drive at mind-field and forced a punt. Other than that, it's not too difficult to see how Mizzou players (and fans) feel like they let the game slip away.All that crap happened AFTER you had lost the lead. Those things just changed our margin of victory, not the outcome.

TUSooner
11/28/2007, 06:58 PM
Actually I'm sure you're well aware that in this case you are very fortunate that Pig Brown is not playing. Just as we will be if Inglish (not sure if I spelled that right) isn't playing.
If you're goimg to post here, you must learn to misspell Auston English's FIRST name like the Sooner posters do. sheesh :rolleyes:

;)

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 07:13 PM
If you're goimg to post here, you must learn to misspell Auston English's FIRST name like the Sooner posters do. sheesh :rolleyes:

;)At least we can spell going. Sheesh. :D

GoTigers
11/28/2007, 08:01 PM
I'ts obvious, all the pressure is on Missouri. Your #1, you've never been to the Big Twelve championship game.

Last week, you played on what is supposed to be a neutral site, which is located in Kansas City, Missouri. You played pretty well the same Kansas team you beat last year. That's why you played loose.

This time, your playing the Sooners, which you haven't beaten in years, including this year!
Just FYI, Lawrence is about 40 miles from KCMO. Columbia is about 130. If anything it was a kansas biased neutral site. However, despite a predicted 70-30 split for kU, it was about 50-50.

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 08:15 PM
Just FYI, Lawrence is about 40 miles from KCMO. Columbia is about 130. If anything it was a kansas biased neutral site. However, despite a predicted 70-30 split for kU, it was about 50-50.we care

SOONERxWife73
11/28/2007, 09:06 PM
Does that mean 90-10 in favor of OU in san antone?

douxpaysan
11/28/2007, 09:36 PM
Dean predicted about 85/25...

cj@mizzou
11/29/2007, 11:25 AM
85 + 25 > 100.....

sanantoniosooner
11/29/2007, 11:27 AM
85 + 25 > 100.....
you don't know Dean.

Jello Biafra
11/29/2007, 11:45 AM
85 + 25 > 100.....

welcome to the board.....take your shoes off....

nm not worth the effort.

douxpaysan
11/29/2007, 04:23 PM
85 + 25 > 100.....
Dean Blevins is a local sports personality who once played quarterback at OU. He's blatently "objective"(in an aggie sort of way) and produces sports faux pas including new aggie math errors at a miraculous rate, much to the chagrin of other OU alumni. You wouldn't know anything about this...so you get a pass.

47straight
11/29/2007, 04:59 PM
You're bats**t crazy if you think that 6 points was anything else than a gift. A lot of teams could pick up that fumble and return it 12 yds with a "6ft" QB on their back.

Riddle me this, *********: What was Curtis Lofton doing that far in the backfield in the first place? Could your little Heisman candidate seeing #40 coming in at full speed made him fumble the handoff?

cvsooner
11/29/2007, 05:07 PM
Back to the original question...the San Antonio newspaper and ESPN seem to think Mizzou's defense is really good...

ESPN.com: College Football

Thursday, November 29, 2007
After early season struggles, Mizzou's defense provides spark

By Tim Griffin
Special to ESPN.com

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- On a team loaded with a talented array of offensive weapons, it's easy sometimes for the Missouri defense to become a forgotten element in the team's surprising success.

That hasn't been the case for coach Gary Pinkel, however. He calls his defensive unit one of the key building blocks in the Tigers' first Big 12 North Division championship.

"I think our defense has done just a phenomenal job," Pinkel said.

The defense's biggest stride has come in the last few weeks, as the unit bounced back from early struggles when it was easily the team's biggest question mark. After enduring several miserable performances before conference play began, the Tigers have rebounded to become one of the steadiest defenses in the Big 12 over the stretch run.

That confidence will be tested Saturday (ABC, 8 p.m. ET) in the Alamodome in San Antonio, where the Tigers will face Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game. The 11-1 Tigers will attempt to avenge their only loss of the season, as well as their worst defensive performance in conference play. A bid to the Bowl Championship Series title game is riding on it.

Such a finish was a pipe dream earlier in the season. The Tigers hung on for dear life in a 40-34 season-opening victory over Illinois, winning the game only after a pair of huge plays by strong safety Cornelius "Pig" Brown -- who produced a 100-yard fumble return for a touchdown and preserved the victory with a game-saving interception at the Missouri goal line with 51 seconds left.

It got worse from there. The Tigers were blistered for 534 yards by Mississippi and blindsided for 397 yards and 17 points by Division I-AA Illinois State, a team that ended up 4-7 in the Gateway Conference.

Those early struggles turned up the heat on Missouri defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus, who opted to dial back his complex schematic plans in favor of a more simplistic defense after the sputtering start.

"We were happy about that," sophomore linebacker Sean Weatherspoon said. "Early in the season we were doing a lot of stunting in our run defenses. Since then, we've been playing in our gaps and not doing a lot of movement against the run. It's been a lot easier to follow and I think it's definitely helped us."

Pinkel has unique confidence in Eberflus, who has been with him since he played on Pinkel's team at Toledo in 1991.

"We remained very positive with our players, even when they were getting bashed after those first four games," Pinkel said. "Our idea was that we could fundamentally make ourselves better. We've just kept improving and staying positive and I think that helped us get where we are."

Senior nose tackle Lorenzo Williams knew the Tigers had more talent this season than any other defense he had played with. It was just a matter of time before the unit jelled, he said.

"We really didn't change much, we just kind of stuck together," Williams said. "How long it would take, we really didn't know. But we knew it would eventually click."

The Tigers have gradually improved in nearly every statistical category since conference play began. Missouri leads the Big 12 in total defense and sacks in conference games. The Tigers are second in pass efficiency defense, rush defense and turnover margin and third in scoring defense and pass defense.

The only clunker for the Tigers in Big 12 play was the game against Oklahoma. They struggled as the Sooners charged back for 18 unanswered points in the fourth quarter after Missouri took a lead.

"I remember how bad we felt after that game ended," Weatherspoon said. "We knew we could go back to the Big 12 championship and get a rematch. The big thing was in that game we didn't get off the field on third down. We've got to do a better job of that on Saturday."

Missouri allowed a season-worst 41 points in its only loss of the season. That game turned out to be a turning point for the Tigers.

"After that loss, we didn't dwell on the past," junior defensive end Stryker Sulak said. "We just wanted to put it behind us and come back and show what we could do."

In their first game after Oklahoma, the Tigers shackled Texas Tech's explosive offense in a 41-10 victory. Missouri produced a season-best four interceptions and limited the Red Raiders to minus-9 yards rushing in the dominating victory.

The strong play continued, even after Brown was lost for the season after he ruptured his Achilles tendon against Iowa State.

The loss of the two-time Big 12 defensive player of the week was expected to strip Missouri of its top playmaker. Instead, the rest of the lineup picked up the slack.

"When Pig went down, we could have laid down and folded up or used him as inspiration to keep this thing on the tracks," Weatherspoon said.

In a similar situation last season, Missouri cratered when top pass-rushing threat Brian Smith was lost for the season. The defense wore out as excitement about a 6-0 start eroded into a disappointing 8-5 finish.

"Last year, when Smitty went down, it was a huge blow to our team," quarterback Chase Daniel said. "After he went down, we started giving up a lot of rushing yards. And when Pig went down, the same thought went through my mind. But the guys have really stepped up."

One big reason for the recent spurt has been the play of junior free safety William Moore, who has taken over Brown's role as the prime playmaker in recent weeks.

Moore has produced an interception in each of the last four games without Brown. It's boosted his season total to seven, which leads the conference and matches the school record set by Roger Wehrli in 1968.

"He's become a high-level Big 12 player," Pinkel said of Moore. "I think [Brown] is a great influence on him, and the great thing about it is that although he's played good all year, he's played his best games since Pig went down."

Brown has remained a part of the team. The fiery leader has served as almost an extension of the coaching staff, exhorting his teammates from the sidelines.

"Pig wouldn't let us fall off," Williams said. "He's the driving force of everything that we do. He's still a motivator for us, even if he isn't out on the field."

The Tigers allowed Colorado only 84 rushing yards and a season-best 196 yards in a 55-10 blowout in Boulder. And they produced a bigger statement in their North clinching victory over Kansas last week.

An intense defensive performance limited the Jayhawks to 42 yards rushing -- their worst production in more than two seasons. Kansas had come into the game ranked 15th nationally in rushing and its previous rushing low for the season was 167 yards. Missouri didn't allow Kansas to score until midway through the third quarter and held the Jayhawks nearly 20 points below their per-game average in a 36-28 victory. The Jayhawks produced 42 yards on their first three possessions. And in three-straight trips in the red zone early in the game, Kansas missed two field goals and had an interception. Missouri used that momentum to surge to a 21-0 lead -- a deficit too great for Todd Reesing to overcome.

The Tigers gleaned confidence from that game and will arrive in San Antonio with a more assured nature since their first meeting with Oklahoma.

"After that, every guy on the defense just turned our level up," Weatherspoon said. "You can see it in our intensity. We're a different team now."

Tim Griffin covers the Big 12 for the San Antonio Express-News.

KHS Sooner
11/29/2007, 05:09 PM
"After that, every guy on the defense just turned our level up," Weatherspoon said. "You can see it in our intensity. We're a different team now."

Thats what everyone says.

Big Red Ron
11/29/2007, 05:35 PM
(MU was) blindsided for 397 yards and 17 points by Division I-AA Illinois State, a team that ended up 4-7 in the Gateway Conference.
We're shakin in our boots.

Jello Biafra
11/29/2007, 05:50 PM
held kansas to 40 something yards eh?

i went to the official kansas site.....they don't have a starter on the line bigger than 300........

the dlineman are undersized as well. none of them are bigger than 280....

for what ever its worth.

cvsooner
11/29/2007, 06:36 PM
Kansas' biggest problem on D was missed tackles. Rushing three can work but you've got to tackle the guy when he catches it.

Jello Biafra
11/29/2007, 06:39 PM
Kansas' biggest problem on D was missed tackles. Rushing three can work but you've got to tackle the guy when he catches it.

true. but, more times than not, booger man had all day to find a receiver. 3 man rush will not work.