PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Is there a bigger Sooner hater than...

jwlynn64
11/27/2007, 10:49 PM
Terry Bowden?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=tb-sweet16112707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The latest BCS standings came out and as expected Missouri and West Virginia are ranked one and two. If this holds up, although there is nothing that has happened this year to suggest that it will, it will be the perfect conclusion to a perfectly delirious season.

The Year of the Upset that started with the Michigan loss to Appalachian State and ended – so far – with the LSU loss to Arkansas needs to have the appropriate finale. Missouri and West Virginia would be just that.

We need to have a "Hoosiers" type of ending to the season. There's a reason it's in the top three of almost everybody's favorite sports movies. We need to see the upset … we need to see the little guy win it all once in a while. A Tiger/Mountaineer matchup would guarantee that.

Now, in a year when nothing is automatic, Missouri still has to beat Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship and WVU has to knock off Pittsburgh in the Backyard Brawl. That is not a guarantee even in the typical season, but let's hope that it happens.

We don't need to see the same old same old in the championship game this year. I have no desire to see Ohio State get back in the game. We saw them play in it last year and we'll probably see them play in it next year. They have the best players, the best facilities and the best tradition. But they lost to Illinois in the next-to-last game of the season and didn't really earn the right. Georgia could slide in with a 9-2 record. They are playing great football right now and coach Mark Richt has probably done his finest job. But they lost to South Carolina and Tennessee and although they are one of the traditional powers, they just don't get the blood boiling when it comes to a championship game.

Almost everybody's preseason picks were LSU and Southern California. I covered both of these teams this year and I still say they walk onto the field with the best talent in the country. But neither team played like a champion this year and the game needs to be about something more than a couple of talent-laden teams that underachieved.

West Virginia and Missouri would be the perfect choice for the championship. Not only have they consistently played at the highest level of the game for the greatest part of the season, but they have done it with so much less to work with. Neither team has a great recruiting base to attract the best football players. There are not enough blue chippers in their respective states to win the conference, much less a national championship. Take a look at the NFL rosters and you won't see a great number of players from these two schools. They don't have the history, the tradition or the money to compete with the typical powers of college football, but they did. They have made the underdog no longer look like an underdog. They have proven to be the best on the field and they deserve to play for a championship.

I would like every player, every coach, and every fan to truly believe that if they go out and play the game like it's supposed to be played, they have a chance to win it all. They need to believe that if they dream the dream and if they do things that they are supposed to do, then they have a shot to win it all.

A Missouri-West Virginia matchup would guarantee that.

Tebow has to win Heisman

For the third time this year, I covered a Florida game for Westwood One Radio. This one was a little painful as I watched them crush Florida State and my old man 45-12.

What I did get to see – again – is one of the most phenomenal years by a college quarterback in the history of the game. Tim Tebow is not just the best choice for the Heisman Trophy, he is the only choice. No football player has ever done what he has this year. He has thrown for more touchdowns than Matt Leinart and run for more touchdowns than Ron Dayne.

Darren McFadden might have had a great year as a tailback, but Tebow has had the greatest year ever as a dual-threat quarterback. It doesn't matter that he is just a sophomore and no sophomore has ever won the award. He had a better year than anyone else in any class. We don't need to make him wait until he is a junior because if things go right for the Gators, he won't duplicate the numbers that he had this season. In fact, if Florida finds the tailback that they need to get back into the championship hunt, Tebow will be able to let someone else run between the tackles all day.

This year he did it all by himself. This year he did it better than it has ever been done before. This year, he did it better than it may ever be done again.

This year, he deserves the Heisman Trophy.

This guy will never include any information about OU unless he can use it to disparage us somehow. OU has been to more MNC games than any other team this decade but he can't even acknowledge that.

He's not openly hostile to us but it's apparent from his writing that he has no respect for Bob or the Sooners.

critical_phil
11/27/2007, 10:51 PM
i don't get it.

srsly.

Redshirt
11/27/2007, 10:52 PM
We beat his daddy for the championship...he has no love for us.

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2007, 10:52 PM
me either.

srsly.

Redshirt
11/27/2007, 10:54 PM
and...you are reaching.

Salt City Sooner
11/27/2007, 10:58 PM
Ding ding ding! We have a winner, & to expound on this point, since that night, FSU has been on a downward slide to the tune of a very average 58 wins vs. 31 losses. They're a shell of what they were before that game.

bluedogok
11/27/2007, 11:00 PM
He is "media" (now, I doubt that he will ever be a coach again) and all "media" cares about is a good story, Cinderellas make for a good story for exploitation in their eyes.....witness Michigan-App State this year, the Fiesta Bowl last year and every NCAA basketball tournament. Plus he has WVU connections.

jwlynn64
11/27/2007, 11:02 PM
I usually read his post each week on the sports.yahoo.com website and he is always downplaying OU or not even mentioning OU even if there is a valid point for OU being in his column.

Like I said in my initial post, he is not openly hostile to the Sooners but he is very underhanded about his criticism of Bob and the Sooners. His body of work leaves no doubt about his feeling for the Sooners.

Fiatil
11/27/2007, 11:08 PM
Yeah this is pretty light on the Sooner hate to be honest. Can you blame him for not wanting to see Ohio State again? If I weren't a Sooner fan I'd be wanting mizzou in too. But I will take joy in seeing West Virginia absolutely dominate Ohio State in the MNC.

FirstandGoal
11/27/2007, 11:14 PM
**** missouri

Widescreen
11/27/2007, 11:56 PM
This isn't a big deal. He's just saying he would like to see some new blood in the MNC game.

jwlynn64
11/28/2007, 12:04 AM
I see that he has you all fooled! ;)

Really though, he slights the Sooners every chance he gets. Read his past columns and you'll see a pattern.

birddog
11/28/2007, 12:36 AM
this really bothers you?

if i had a column i'd neg lsu every chance i got.

jwlynn64
11/28/2007, 12:37 AM
Then LSUjwlynn64 would be writing about "Is there a bigger Tiger hater than... birddogbbq! ;)

76soonergrad
11/28/2007, 01:56 AM
Can't stand what he said about tOSU. Cupcake schedule. These pundits all have hard ons for coastal teams and the big ten.

GET OVER IT!

Plus they annoint the Heisman trophy winner.

pott_2
11/28/2007, 02:10 AM
I see the same shortcomings in his writing that he had in his coaching career.

Crucifax Autumn
11/28/2007, 02:27 AM
I think this particular story is no really big deal. The problem is he's said worse in the past, has some weird grudge against us, and is a jackhole all-around who would be a nobody if not for his dad.

But really...Who cares what he says anyway...just look at the guy. Just listen to the guy. He's as irrelevant as a redshirt on Star Trek and he doesn't even help to further the plot.

pott_2
11/28/2007, 03:03 AM
I think this particular story is no really big deal. The problem is he's said worse in the past, has some weird grudge against us, and is a jackhole all-around who would be a nobody if not for his dad.

But really...Who cares what he says anyway...just look at the guy. Just listen to the guy. He's as irrelevant as a redshirt on Star Trek and he doesn't even help to further the plot.

Sweet.

A Ster Trek plug on a football forum. Spek.

Crucifax Autumn
11/28/2007, 03:35 AM
heh...I just put it the best way I knew how!

oupride
11/28/2007, 09:49 AM
Ditto. First words that I was gonna say...

85sooners
11/28/2007, 10:02 AM
i love the sooners!

r5TPsooner
11/28/2007, 10:36 AM
Mark May doesn't exactly toot the Sooners horn much. I miss the days of Trev Alberts being a Big XII homer. Plus he was a hell of a lot better analyst than Mark May or Corso.

I saw that he is on another college show on one of the SEC Fox Sports Net channels.

SoonerLB
11/28/2007, 01:30 PM
He's just upset 'cause he never got asked to the dance.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/barn9/Terrydancer.jpg

Desert Sapper
11/28/2007, 01:49 PM
All he is saying is what everybody that's not a bucknut or Sooner is thinking. People like those cool storybook endings, where the little guy finally wins big. West Virginia and Mizzou wouldn't exactly be David over Goliath, more like David over David, but it guarantees a storybook ending for somebody. Whereas, if tOSU backdoors in, there is a chance that Cinderella will get a glass slipper shoved straight up her ***. And nobody wants to see that.

jwlynn64
11/28/2007, 01:54 PM
...there is a chance that Cinderella will get a glass slipper shoved straight up her ***. And nobody wants to see that.

I bet a little searching on the internet will find you something pretty close that many people have already paid for! :eek:

As for my initial assessment, in the two years that I have been reading his column he never gives OU or Bob and credit and uses situations like this slight us.

I still stand by my assertion that he is a "not very far in" closet OU hater.

stoopified
11/28/2007, 03:22 PM
I usually read his post each week on the sports.yahoo.com website and he is always downplaying OU or not even mentioning OU even if there is a valid point for OU being in his column.

Like I said in my initial post, he is not openly hostile to the Sooners but he is very underhanded about his criticism of Bob and the Sooners. His body of work leaves no doubt about his feeling for the Sooners.Sounds like Dean Blevins.

usmc-sooner
11/28/2007, 03:26 PM
I don't see why he would hate us so much. Maybe because those spankings we put on his daddy.

TopDawg
11/28/2007, 05:08 PM
To answer your question: Yes. There is a bigger Sooner hater than Bowden. Both figuratively and literally.

jwlynn64
11/28/2007, 05:24 PM
Well that wasn't fired by the Sooners! ;)