PDA

View Full Version : MOB being MOB

Paperclip
11/27/2007, 03:57 PM
From the Tulsa World

The University of Tulsa has sent a formal complaint to Conference USA regarding Rice's halftime show during the Golden Hurricane-Owls football game on Saturday.

The performance by the Rice marching band was titled "Todd Graham's Inferno" and depicted a search for the former Owls coach through different circles of Hell, based on Dante's "Divine Comedy."

After taking numerous jabs at Graham, the show ended by calling the Tulsa coach a "d-----bag" over the public address system.

"We filed a formal complaint with the conference and that's where it stands now," TU athletic director Bubba Cunningham said. "I talked to their AD (Chris Del Conte) this morning. Our conversation was very cordial and he said to do what we thought was appropriate."

Cunningham couldn't hear the performance in the press box, but caught the final moments when he was walking to the field.

When asked what he wanted the complaint to accomplish, Cunningham said, "We need to provide an environment where a student-athlete can participate and fans can enjoy college athletics in a very positive way."

Sportsmanship has been a point of emphasis in C-USA, the Tulsa athletic director said.

"When we don't meet those standards, we need to look at ourselves as a league and find how we can make that experience better," he said.

jwlynn64
11/27/2007, 04:00 PM
What a D----bag! ;)

yermom
11/27/2007, 04:06 PM
heh.

i guess the D-Bag comment might be a bit much though

AllAboutThe'O'
11/27/2007, 04:10 PM
Really, you can't blame Rice's band for doing something like that, as long as it didn't extremely push the limits of bad taste. Just like all the stuff the Stanford band has done over the years. Just have a sense of humor about it, that's all.

fadada1
11/27/2007, 04:13 PM
the MOB must have a lot of time on their hands to come up with this.

WAY too smart for their own good.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/27/2007, 04:13 PM
Lol, too bad Dante ended up climbing the mountain of purgatory and later ended up in Paradiso. With all the sins seen in the 9 circles of hell (gluttony, usury, etc), Dante was represented as a sinless man. You'd think Rice kids would be more intelligent.

tommieharris91
11/27/2007, 04:14 PM
Really, you can't blame Rice's band for doing something like that, as long as it didn't extremely push the limits of bad taste. Just like all the stuff the Stanford band has done over the years. Just have a sense of humor about it, that's all.

Yea, but they called him a d-bag, d-bag.

:D

Widescreen
11/27/2007, 04:15 PM
If I was in the stands with my kids, there are a bunch of words I don't want called out over the PA system. They should get dinged for that. I'm sure coach Graham has thick enough skin to get over it, but a college football game used to be a family event.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/27/2007, 04:17 PM
Yea, but they called him a d-bag, d-bag.

Yeah, what the PA guy said was classless and that was really unnecessary, but I was just talking about what the band was doing.

toast
11/27/2007, 04:23 PM
from what I could tell from the highlight show, there were only around 50 people at the game anyway

GoOwls
11/27/2007, 04:27 PM
.......and for anyone interested, here is a brief synopsis of the show:

The show was based on the nine circles of hell in The Divine Comedy - Dante's Inferno. It described a descent into Hell seeking Todd Graham.

They didn't find him in the first circle, but didn't expect to because those residents had spines.

They looked in the second circle (adulterers) but didn't find him. They did find a woman who knew him. Tulsa fans took this as an accusation the TG's mother was an adulterer. (The joke was a "Your Mom" joke. Just a regular old your mom joke. Admittedly, it was quite an elegant setup and came out of nowhere, which is where the best your mom jokes come from.)

They looked in the fourth circle (greed), but didn't find him there

They looked in the eighth circle (liars and frauds) but didn't find him there.

They were sure they would find him in the ninth circle (traitors), but no luck, so they asked Satan, who told us that TG had been confined to the even-lower hitherto unknown tenth level. To approach that level, our searchers found a flame-blackened door with a three word inscription - "Welcome to Tulsa".

Then, in closing the PA announcer threw out the following joke:

"A rabbi, a nun, and a priest walk into a bar. I can't remember what the punchline is, but I'm pretty sure it involves Todd Graham being a *********."

yermom
11/27/2007, 04:34 PM
our band sucks :D

85sooners
11/27/2007, 05:26 PM
lol

Civicus_Sooner
11/27/2007, 05:35 PM
What am I missing? Did Todd Gram steal a dime bag from them?

NormanPride
11/27/2007, 05:42 PM
That's hilarious. :D I do object to the language in a family environment, though. Stick with "idiot" or "pompous ***" or something funny. There are plenty of funny insults out there that aren't vulgar.

The Preach Man
11/27/2007, 05:48 PM
Im cant believe that the Univ allowed them to do it.

mizzOUstu702
11/27/2007, 05:51 PM
http://mob.rice.edu/history/scripts/2007/Nov24_Tulsa.shtml

I found this--pretty much what "GoOwls" said, but I guess these are the pictures associated with the commentary. There's a Francione crack in there too.

It is pretty funny, but yeah, I don't see how the university approved that.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/27/2007, 06:06 PM
This was perhaps their most notorious show, back in '73 when Rice played A&M. The show enraged a bunch of Aggies, so much so that the band had to flee from the stadium riding delivery trucks:

http://mob.rice.edu/history/scripts/1973/1973-Nov17__TX-A&M.shtml?1973

GoOwls
11/27/2007, 06:12 PM
http://mob.rice.edu/history/scripts/2007/Nov24_Tulsa.shtml

I found this--pretty much what "GoOwls" said, but I guess these are the pictures associated with the commentary. There's a Francione crack in there too.

It is pretty funny, but yeah, I don't see how the university approved that.

Those pictures appeared on the JumboTron as the show was going on.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2007, 06:49 PM
Well if Graham will go to "hell" to get away from them, that just says something about Rice

GoOwls
11/27/2007, 07:46 PM
Not gonna lie, Rice is at the bottom of the barrel as far as 'ideal coaching positions' go, and I'm not gonna blame a guy for taking a job that doubled his pay.

The thing that got us up in arms was the way in which the change happened. He lied to a BUNCH of people over and over again. All part of the business I suppose.

OklahomaTuba
11/27/2007, 07:46 PM
Heh.

Rice sucks so bad.

badger
11/27/2007, 08:03 PM
Ummm... they called Tulsa worse than the lowest circle of hell.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2007, 08:05 PM
Apparently, The Rice band has never been to stillwater

Big Red Ron
11/27/2007, 08:11 PM
Apparently, The Rice band has never been to stillwaterOr Aimes or Lubbuck or College Station...

Williesan
11/27/2007, 08:49 PM
Or Aimes or Lubbuck or College Station...

Or out of their own back yard.. called Houston. Other than that, I've got nuttzing.

Williesan
From the 10th level of Hell, Tulsa.

salth2o
11/27/2007, 09:19 PM
I love the MOB! The acts they put on are extemely funny and WELL thought out. This year vs. uterus they did this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kiOa7dBsyrY

TUSooner
11/27/2007, 10:36 PM
Sophomorons like that always think they are so clever, even when they're just being snotty little *********s.

OK, it IS kinda funny, but NOT at halftime of a football game. I'd rather watch the grass grow for 15 minutes than to suffer through some of the crap people come up with to make halftime seem like more than what it really is - an annoying interruption in the middle of a football game.

GoOwls
11/28/2007, 01:17 AM
Your Mom is Sophomoric.

76soonergrad
11/28/2007, 01:30 AM
Reminds me of that movie, "Bring it on." In the movie, the cheerleaders get all the attention for their award winning shows...Because the football team sucks.

The Rice band is in a similar situation. Draw attention away from the football team.

Funny up to a point. Would never want to see OUr band Stoop to such a level.

Nope.

Big Red Ron
11/28/2007, 03:27 PM
Your Mom is Sophomoric.Well, at least TU's Mom isn't on the cover of crack whore magazine

Pricetag
11/28/2007, 03:39 PM
I love the MOB! The acts they put on are extemely funny and WELL thought out.
Really? Looked like middle school humor at its finest to me.

Paperclip
11/28/2007, 03:42 PM
Was the joke about Graham's mom just a shot or is there a story there?

GoOwls
11/28/2007, 05:17 PM
It really didn't have anything to do with Grahams mom. It was just a standard 'Your mom' joke, directed at the audience.

Paperclip
11/28/2007, 05:23 PM
It really didn't have anything to do with Grahams mom. It was just a standard 'Your mom' joke, directed at the audience.

I meant in the MOB show. Maybe that's what you meant too.

FaninAma
11/28/2007, 05:30 PM
I fail to see the humor or intellignece of what the Rice Band did. Then again, I think South Park is about as funny as listening to the average conversation of a pack of 9th grade adolescent boys. But I guess that's what passes for humor these days.

Animal Mother
11/28/2007, 05:51 PM
OMG. You mean to tell me there is more than one interpretation of something someone did in the name of humor and or a little revenge. I for one will not sleep tonight. Like someone said, it WAS a Rice game. There were more people in the 7-11 on University Blvd. More people have read about it on this board than heard it that night.

Stoop Dawg
11/28/2007, 06:02 PM
The thing that got us up in arms was the way in which the change happened. He lied to a BUNCH of people over and over again. All part of the business I suppose.

Let me guess, he said he "loved his job" and "wasn't going anywhere" right before he changed jobs?

Never heard that one before. Get over yourselves.

RedstickSooner
11/28/2007, 07:15 PM
Dante references - cool. Collegiate, even.

Feminine hygiene products? Shouldn't be advertised on TV. And shouldn't be discussed over the P.A.

Tivo is a big reason why, for the rest of my life, I intend to never hear the words, "Mom, what do you do when you have one of those not-so-fresh feelings?"

Gawd, I effing hate the John Edward that came up with that ad campaign.

GoOwls
11/29/2007, 04:31 PM
Let me guess, he said he "loved his job" and "wasn't going anywhere" right before he changed jobs?

Never heard that one before. Get over yourselves.

More like 'signed a contract extension with a raise four days before bolting'.

SoFla Sooner
11/29/2007, 09:39 PM
What's really worse from a purely entertainment standpoint? In Houston you could watch the MOB do their clever little Dante's Inferno - themed TU bashing. Or, In Norman you could sit through yet another tribute to Westside Story. Just sayin.' :rolleyes:

texas bandman
11/29/2007, 10:46 PM
When I was in the Pride, we played Rice. The MOB did a parody of the musical "Oklahoma". At the end of the show, Laurie and Curly get in the back of a covered wagon and let's just say "if the schooner is a rockin', don't come a knockin'."

47straight
11/30/2007, 02:23 AM
More like 'signed a contract extension with a raise four days before bolting'.

So you're saying your school, for all its alleged smarts, didn't have the foresight to insert a large enough buyout clause to scare away the likes of Tulsa???

Seems to me like it's your own **** fault.

GoOwls
11/30/2007, 12:50 PM
So you're saying your school, for all its alleged smarts, didn't have the foresight to insert a large enough buyout clause to scare away the likes of Tulsa???

Seems to me like it's your own **** fault.

There was a buyout clause, and Tulsa paid it. Rice wasn't willing to give a coach with a whopping 1 year of head coaching experience a 10 year, $1 million per contract...

I hope they were smart enough to include a hefty buyout clause as well, because this guy will be high-tailing it out of town soon.

GoOwls
11/30/2007, 12:52 PM
When I was in the Pride, we played Rice. The MOB did a parody of the musical "Oklahoma". At the end of the show, Laurie and Curly get in the back of a covered wagon and let's just say "if the schooner is a rockin', don't come a knockin'."

Haha. Excellent.

47straight
12/1/2007, 03:10 AM
There was a buyout clause, and Tulsa paid it. Rice wasn't willing to give a coach with a whopping 1 year of head coaching experience a 10 year, $1 million per contract...

I hope they were smart enough to include a hefty buyout clause as well, because this guy will be high-tailing it out of town soon.

To be a successful mid-major school, you have to have this talent for finding new coaches down pat.

Crucifax Autumn
12/1/2007, 03:32 AM
As a forner English major I find this funny!

GoOwls
12/4/2007, 04:31 PM
forner English major

bri
12/4/2007, 07:16 PM

Keep telling yourselves that. He bailed on you because Tulsa is a way better situation to be in than Rice. After the failed Kragthorpe experiment in L'Ville, no "big name" program is going to try and lure Graham away, and as long as we're consistently playing for C-USA titles he's not going to leave for another "mid-major" school.

So, to recap, Rice sucks. :D