PDA

View Full Version : What's with the Bruce Springsteen fascination

Partial Qualifier
11/27/2007, 03:53 PM
I never understood it. But it continues.

I saw a sirius radio ad for the E-street channel... 24/7 Bruce Springsteen and his E-Street Band? Are you ****ing kidding me? I'd rather listen to babies crying 24/7 for cripes sakes. What in the hell.

The dude was low on talent in the 80's but there he was... winning awards, selling out concert tours. His music, quite frankly, sucks. Please explain.

Do paint-on jeans really make *that* much of a difference ?? :confused:

Fugue
11/27/2007, 03:56 PM
Bruce Springsteen - Born in teh USA

frankensooner
11/27/2007, 04:27 PM
I never really got it either. And why is Born to Run the NJ state song...sheesh.

Widescreen
11/27/2007, 04:31 PM
Can't stand him now. Couldn't stand him back then. There are some people in the music industry that everyone fawns over for no apparent reason. I guess it's because they've been around a long time without overdosing or something. I don't think I'll ever get it.

IB4OU2
11/27/2007, 04:50 PM
What do you have against do rags and Harley's? I've always been a Springsteen fan. His "Nebraska" album is greatness.

Frozen Sooner
11/27/2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I can't understand the fascination with someone who crafts songs with lyrics that actually make sense and backs it up with some of the most talented and accomplished rock and roll musicians of the last couple decades either.

Oh, wait. I can.

If you don't understand what's great about the Boss-even without liking him, at least understanding why people do-then you don't understand what's great about rock and roll.

I'm not saying I like everything he's ever done, but the guy can write some extremely powerful stuff.

soonerbrat
11/27/2007, 05:44 PM
I never really got it either. And why is Born to Run the NJ state song...sheesh.

uh..because people like to run in the garden and it's the garden state?

Partial Qualifier
11/27/2007, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I can't understand the fascination with someone who crafts songs with lyrics that actually make sense and backs it up with some of the most talented and accomplished rock and roll musicians of the last couple decades either.

Oh, wait. I can.

If you don't understand what's great about the Boss-even without liking him, at least understanding why people do-then you don't understand what's great about rock and roll.

I'm not saying I like everything he's ever done, but the guy can write some extremely powerful stuff.

I laughed.... I cried! :rolleyes:

I understand this - 'powerful' is interpreted by the listener and he doesn't do it for me. Too watered-down! But I can appreciate your opinion and thanks for at least trying to explain why he has a following

Hot Rod
11/27/2007, 06:52 PM
This is my favorite moment from his career:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=g68eug1kaxE

yermom
11/27/2007, 07:14 PM
it's his stuff before the 80's that set up the stuff in the 80's. it's like people liked him in the 70's and then Born in the USA came out and everyone was crazy

he wrote songs for other people as well, you know like that ****** song? that's the Boss :D

i've never really gotten it either, but i didn't under stand Van Halen or The Who from first hearing their stuff in the 80's either.

85Sooner
11/27/2007, 08:10 PM
Had a few good songs. He was known for putting on shows for hours on end.

I can leave it.

reevie
11/27/2007, 08:19 PM
He's the Boss man!

VeeJay
11/27/2007, 08:36 PM
The greatest thing about Bruce is the Sopranos scene when Christopher walked in the back room of Bing, late for a meeting and said "The highway's littered with broken down heroes on their last chance power drive."

That was greatness.

bluedogok
11/27/2007, 10:22 PM
he wrote songs for other people as well, you know like that ****** song? that's the Boss :D
Mannfred Mann's Blinded By The Light - he talks about it on his VH1 Storytellers they have been playing on MHD. The original line was Like a deuce in the night... as in a Deuce Coupe. He said for some reason they changed it to a feminine hygiene product...and the rest is history.

Sirius does these "artist" channels sometimes around the time they release a new album or tour, they did for The Rolling Stones and The Who.

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2007, 03:03 AM
The greatest thing about Bruce is the Sopranos scene when Christopher walked in the back room of Bing, late for a meeting and said "The highway's littered with broken down heroes on their last chance power drive."

That was greatness.

Particularly because Little Steven was in the scene and that was apparently unscripted.

PhilTLL
11/28/2007, 03:12 AM
I laughed.... I cried! :rolleyes:

I understand this - 'powerful' is interpreted by the listener and he doesn't do it for me. Too watered-down! But I can appreciate your opinion and thanks for at least trying to explain why he has a following

What does this even mean, in a musical context? A vague expression if ever I saw one.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/28/2007, 07:31 AM
I bet PQ cried when Color Me Badd broke up. ;)

I like some of Bruce Springsteen's songs, but the song I'm on Fire almost ruined him for me.

RacerX
11/28/2007, 07:35 AM

Oh, wait. I can.

:rolleyes:

Partial Qualifier
11/28/2007, 08:04 AM
it's his stuff before the 80's that set up the stuff in the 80's. it's like people liked him in the 70's and then Born in the USA came out and everyone was crazy

i've never really gotten it either, but i didn't under stand Van Halen or The Who from first hearing their stuff in the 80's either.

I see. I knew he was somewhat known before those insipid 80's releases. I admit he's got some interesting metaphors and I can see why some people like his songwriting but the whole package is just meh. Perfect for supermarket white noise.

;)

now... B edlam ? L upica?

Veritas
11/28/2007, 09:05 AM
Let me guess. You LOVE Rush?

sooneron
11/28/2007, 09:36 AM

Oh, wait. I can.

What he ^ said. The guy puts on brilliant shows and gives his all for his fans. He writes great stuff from his heart to boot. I was never a huge fan of his Born In the USA, Tunnel of Love days, but he has been around MUCH longer than that. When people talk about U2, how much do they bring up Pop?

I have never been a Rush fan but I understood their appeal and musicianship. If people can't appreciate what special artists do, then they will never get it. Stick to spoon fed clear channel crap.
On a side note, the man is very cool. I have friends that live near him. One night around Christmas they were carolling with a church group and Bruce invited all of them in for Hot Chocolate. THAT is cool.
He gives it his all and he gives back.

Born To Run and Nebraska are some of my fave albums of all time and I'm not even one of those guys that goes to see every show of his at the Garden or Giant's Stadium. I've seen him three times total and they were ridiculously good shows.
Watered down, my ***!

Tulsa_Fireman
11/28/2007, 09:45 AM
GWAR would totally kick his ***.

http://www.siliconvalleywatcher.com/mt/archives/Gwar.png

Mjcpr
11/28/2007, 09:48 AM
I always get him mixed up with John Cougar Mellencamp.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/28/2007, 10:06 AM
Why can't you hate on a guy when his voice sucks balls?

Being a great songwriter doesn't automatically equal awesomeness to a lot of folks, including me. Awesomeness in songwriting, yeah. But everything else he brings to the table is crap. Just TRY and sit through his cut of the Cash tune 'Give My Love To Rose'. It sounds like he's grunting out a turd. Some call it style. I call it total asshattery and the knife of his butchery is still dripping with the blood of Cash's greatness.

You want a great songwriter surrounded by a great band that brings the songwriter up to another level, go with the Rolling Thunder Review. Screw Springsteen.

Partial Qualifier
11/28/2007, 10:10 AM
Let me guess. You LOVE Rush?

About the time Springsteen was blowing up, I was heavily into Rush. I think I know where you're going with that. :O

I always get him mixed up with John Cougar Mellencamp.

you're bad :D

Partial Qualifier
11/28/2007, 10:21 AM
Stick to spoon fed clear channel crap.

but.............

nevermind. ;)

yermom
11/28/2007, 10:31 AM
I see. I knew he was somewhat known before those insipid 80's releases. I admit he's got some interesting metaphors and I can see why some people like his songwriting but the whole package is just meh. Perfect for supermarket white noise.

;)

now... B edlam ? L upica?

d0uche

usmc-sooner
11/28/2007, 10:39 AM
the guy could make a whole song out woohoo uuuughghh oohhhhh

I liked him as a kid, I also liked Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister.

soonerbrat
11/28/2007, 10:41 AM
yeah, you liked him as a kid. but do you really think he's good enough for a WHOLE STATION?

usmc-sooner
11/28/2007, 10:43 AM
yeah, you liked him as a kid. but do you really think he's good enough for a WHOLE STATION?

that would be a big negative,

after about 12 you lose interest in loud congested mumbling singing.

RacerX
11/28/2007, 10:48 AM
that would be a big negative,

after about 12 you lose interest in congested mumbling singing.

We're talking about Bob Dylan now?

usmc-sooner
11/28/2007, 10:50 AM
We're talking about Bob Dylan now?
Isn't Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan's son?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/28/2007, 10:57 AM
On XM they have a station called LED. All Led Zeppelin all the time.

Partial Qualifier
11/28/2007, 11:10 AM
On XM they have a station called LED. All Led Zeppelin all the time.

hmm that'd be cool.. I have xm but wasn't aware of that one

I can only think of a few bands that would fill up a 24/7 channel with stuff I'd actually listen to. Zeppelin's definitely one of them.

Re: your color me badd comment: http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

royalfan5
11/28/2007, 11:16 AM
I'm pretty sure I have heard The Entirety of The Born in The USA album more than any other album. I don't think it ever came out of the tape deck of our Cutlass Ciera unless it was to play some Reo Speedwagon.

bluedogok
11/28/2007, 11:17 AM
The Springsteen Channel will more than likely be a temporary channel like the Stones channel. Elvis Radio is pretty much a Presley Enterprises thing so the cost to Sirius is virtually nothing more than bandwidth.

Partial Qualifier
11/28/2007, 11:25 AM
look, I get it - everyone has their own taste in music. I'll never argue with that and I know he's a good songwriter. I just never liked it, didn't know anyone else who did either, and thus didn't get the whole superstar status.

My main point was the 24/7 station deal but BluedogOK illuminated what that's all about.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/28/2007, 11:34 AM
hmm that'd be cool.. I have xm but wasn't aware of that one

I can only think of a few bands that would fill up a 24/7 channel with stuff I'd actually listen to. Zeppelin's definitely one of them.

Re: your color me badd comment: http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gifIt's XM 59. I'm still waiting on XM Wham!

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2007, 12:26 PM
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:+1

I'd rather listen the Bruce Springsteen than 95% of the pretentious crap that some of the people around here seem to think is good music.

Curly Bill
11/28/2007, 09:06 PM
I'm casting my lot with those that say they just don't get the fascination, I never did, and I still don't. I can respect the guy as a songwriter and all that, but when he comes on the radio I change the station.

RacerX
11/29/2007, 01:26 AM
:rolleyes:+1

I'd rather listen the Bruce Springsteen than 95% of the pretentious crap that some of the people around here seem to think is good music.
Great. So now only you decide what good music is.

And I totally get that you know what pretentious means.

Whatever.

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2007, 01:46 AM
Great. So now only you decide what good music is.

And I totally get that you know what pretentious means.

Whatever.

And I totally get that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

If people don't like Bruce Springsteen, that's fine. That's a different thing than failing to understand how other people could.

Personally, I don't like Rush-but I get that other people do and can understand why. Me not liking them doesn't mean they're bad-which is what the Boss haters here seem to thing about their own taste.

But hey, have fun playing your Sigur Ros albums. I'm sure they're awesome.

RacerX
11/29/2007, 07:37 AM
My reading comprehension is fine and this has nothing to do with Bruce.

This has to do with

... then you don't understand what's great about rock and roll.

and

Arrogant may be more appropriate than pretentious. I have no desire to lecture you or anyone on music.

Music is a personal experience that is different for everyone.

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2007, 12:45 PM
My reading comprehension is fine and this has nothing to do with Bruce.

This has to do with

and

Arrogant may be more appropriate than pretentious. I have no desire to lecture you or anyone on music.

Music is a personal experience that is different for everyone.

Ah, yes, because I'm the ONLY person in this thread who was telling people what music sucks and that someone is "low on talent."

Glad you caught that. I'm terribly sorry that I responded to a thread saying that an outstanding artist sucks by telling someone that if they can't understand why someone would even like one of the most honored musicians of the last several decades that they don't get it.

However, yes, that was written in a fairly arrogant style. I was attempting to respond to an over-the-top claim in an over-the-top manner. My apologies if I came across as actually thinking that I was the final arbiter of musical taste.

Partial Qualifier
11/29/2007, 02:11 PM
Arrogant may be more appropriate than pretentious.

how about vindictive?

you're right though Mike, "low on talent" was over-the-top. And again I understand why people like different music, even music which I don't like. But Bruce is that one guy who.. I don't get it, and I don't see how other people could like it for more than a few moments. It was not meant as an indictment of Bruce enthusiasts and i'm sorry if it came off that way.

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2007, 03:59 PM
Fair enough. And yeah, vindictive...that's probably accurate. So, sorry about that.

Anyhow, sorry also for saying that you don't understand rock. I didn't like Springsteen until I was in my mid-20s. When I really started listening to what he was saying, a light sort of came on in my head about liking him-so I can certainly understand why his music might not appeal to someone. I DO think that if you sat down and listened to some of his more subdued stuff-like "Nebraska" and "Ghost of Tom Joad" you might have a deeper appreciation for how talented he really is. The stuff you get on the radio all the time-I'm assuming "Glory Days" "Born in the USA" or "Hungry Heart" for the most part-definitely has more of a pop hook than those.

Heh. I've got the full picture of that Zac Robinson avatar you've got as my desktop wallpaper. One of the best sports photos I've ever seen.

Partial Qualifier
11/29/2007, 04:23 PM
dude, no worries! but thank you for saying that.

I DO think that if you sat down and listened to some of his more subdued stuff-like "Nebraska" and "Ghost of Tom Joad" you might have a deeper appreciation for how talented he really is.

WELL, IT JUST SO HAPPENS... I've listened to quite a bit since I posted this.. some songs I've never heard, some I've heard plenty... okay. Born to Run, I actually liked this song. I guess I blocked out the fact Springsteen sang it. And funny you mention it, some of the stuff off Nebraska - which I hated back then - well, it's better than I ever gave it credit for.

When springsteen was huge, I liked music I could get lost in, and didn't appreciate music that had some real meaning or stuff I could relate to. Does that make sense? That's essentially why I glossed over artists like Springsteen. But for that type of songwriting, with tangible, real-life meaning, Springsteen is the real deal. I can appreciate it.

Heh. I've got the full picture of that Zac Robinson avatar you've got as my desktop wallpaper. One of the best sports photos I've ever seen.

awesome :)

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2007, 04:27 PM
Rock on, brother.

Glad you decided to give him another chance.

And yeah, that makes sense. Hey, I used to REALLY like Skid Row. :D

usmc-sooner
11/29/2007, 07:56 PM
Rock on, brother.

Glad you decided to give him another chance.

And yeah, that makes sense. Hey, I used to REALLY like Skid Row. :D

and guess what Sebastian Bach is coming out with a new album with Axl Rose on it. I listen to what I like, I don't care what anyone else listens to or thinks about what I'm listening too.

silverwheels
11/29/2007, 08:08 PM
My taste in music is better than everyone else's, especially Mike's.

Mjcpr
11/30/2007, 08:53 AM
Now kiss!

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 09:01 AM
One of my favorite complaints I hear is from the people who hate Boston because they were played on the radio too much.

Like that factor has anything to do with the quality of the product. Turn the freaking radio off.

usmc-sooner
11/30/2007, 10:14 AM
Bruce Springsteen and Joe Cocker should have a contest to see who can contort their faces the funniest.

C&CDean
11/30/2007, 10:59 AM
I can honestly say that I have never listened to an entire Springsteen song. Yes, I've heard Born in the USA ad nauseum like everybody else, but I can't make myself leave it on that station long enough to finish the song, and of course have never purchased any of his stuff.

Why? I hate his "style." Back in the day when I was running with the bikers, they all loved Springsteen. I just couldn't get the fascination. Listening to him is like nails on a chalkboard for me. If Froze says he's got talent then I guess he does, but it sure as hell isn't singing.

If I want the vocal chords burned out by sulfuric acid sound I'll listen to Tom Waits. But to each his own...