PDA

View Full Version : Statistical Hoo-Ha

Lott's Bandana
11/27/2007, 03:45 PM
According to the LA Times:

This year California will spend $3.3 billion on its state university system and $9.9 billion on its prison system.

I guess we are immediately to believe that our culture has flipped and we are all uneducated criminals.

Show me a prison that receives endowments, athletic department revenues and tuition (besides UT).
I hate obvious distortions of facts to support an agenda, but I hate even more the not-so-obvious ones that get past us each and every day.

Rant complete.

^

Hamhock
11/27/2007, 04:13 PM
According to the LA Times:

This year California will spend $3.3 billion on its state university system .

^

i wonder how much of that goes to SUC players?

mdklatt
11/27/2007, 04:22 PM
People get fed meaningless and/or misleading statistics all time, and because we're a nation of innumerates we're easily duped by them.

Ike
11/27/2007, 04:28 PM
People get fed meaningless and/or misleading statistics all time, and because we're a nation of innumerates we're easily duped by them.

maybe spending more on education would make us less easily duped by misleading statistics...

;)

crawfish
11/27/2007, 04:59 PM
I bet the prisoners know that's a bunch of BS. ;)

The Maestro
11/27/2007, 05:04 PM
Oh. My wife calls something else her "hoo-ha". Wrong story.

Nevermind.

OCUDad
11/27/2007, 05:26 PM
It’s always interesting to see where the information comes from. Did the LA Times state its sources?

According to the publicly posted California State Budget for 2007-2008:
- $45.4 billion in state funds for K-12 Education
- $14.9 billion in state funds for Higher Education
- $9.8 billion in state funds for Corrections and Rehabilitation

Not only the ratios, but the amounts themselves, are so out of whack with the LA Times quote that it makes me wonder exactly what the Times is talking about.

As a point of comparison, according to the Oklahoma State budget for FY2007:
- $3.5 billion in state funds for Education
- $451 million in state funds for Department of Corrections

sooner_born_1960
11/27/2007, 05:40 PM
Prisoners should have to start paying tuition. Or are they all on Scholarship?

Ike
11/27/2007, 05:53 PM
It’s always interesting to see where the information comes from. Did the LA Times state its sources?

According to the publicly posted California State Budget for 2007-2008:
- $45.4 billion in state funds for K-12 Education
- $14.9 billion in state funds for Higher Education
- $9.8 billion in state funds for Corrections and Rehabilitation

Not only the ratios, but the amounts themselves, are so out of whack with the LA Times quote that it makes me wonder exactly what the Times is talking about.

As a point of comparison, according to the Oklahoma State budget for FY2007:
- $3.5 billion in state funds for Education
- $451 million in state funds for Department of Corrections

Perhaps California spends money on more than just the State Universities in the "funds for Higher Education". Or maybe the 3 billion is just for certain parts of the edumacational budget?

Ash
11/27/2007, 06:06 PM
Prisoners should have to start paying tuition. Or are they all on Scholarship?

In Texas, they're on football scholarships.

<rimshot>

:twinkies:

Lott's Bandana
11/27/2007, 06:43 PM
Perhaps California spends money on more than just the State Universities in the "funds for Higher Education". Or maybe the 3 billion is just for certain parts of the edumacational budget?

Sources weren't quoted, but the Times likely pulled out the State University System from their quite far-reaching and rather inexpensive (tuition) Junior College system. If so, it is even more of a fact-skew.

Lott's Bandana
11/27/2007, 06:45 PM
Oh. My wife calls something else her "hoo-ha". Wrong story.

Nevermind.

That must make for some damn hawt pillow talk! ;)

It also makes the title of the thread read much funnier.

Jimminy Crimson
11/27/2007, 07:07 PM
According to the LA Times
This year California will spend $3.3 billion on its state university system and $9.9 billion on its prison system.

Reason #471,078 why we need to close our borders! :texan:

SanJoaquinSooner
11/27/2007, 07:30 PM
please provide a link to the story.

KABOOKIE
11/27/2007, 07:40 PM

http://bokertov.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/11/al_gore_smug.jpg

;)

SanJoaquinSooner
11/27/2007, 07:42 PM
Sounds like its just the 9 UC campuses getting the 3.3 billion.
:

From Jan 07
PROPOSAL: The governor wants to spend $14.9 billion in general fund money on higher education -- too little to avoid significant student fee increases across the University of California and California State University systems. UC would receive $3.3 billion, an increase of slightly more than 6 percent. The California State University system would get $3 billion, just under 6 percent more. Community colleges would receive $4.2 billion from the Proposition 98 set-aside for public schools, an increase of nearly 5 percent.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/11/MNGVONGJ8O1.DTL

Lott's Bandana
11/27/2007, 11:00 PM
Sounds like its just the 9 UC campuses getting the 3.3 billion.
:

From Jan 07
PROPOSAL: The governor wants to spend $14.9 billion in general fund money on higher education -- too little to avoid significant student fee increases across the University of California and California State University systems. UC would receive $3.3 billion, an increase of slightly more than 6 percent. The California State University system would get $3 billion, just under 6 percent more. Community colleges would receive $4.2 billion from the Proposition 98 set-aside for public schools, an increase of nearly 5 percent.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/11/MNGVONGJ8O1.DTL

I had no link, I actually read the statement from actual paper and ink!

Good for the Chron to elaborate more than the LA LA Times...

OCUDad
11/28/2007, 01:54 AM
Reason #471,078 why we need to close our borders! :texan:And if you believe everything the LA Times says, you are a reason California SHOULD close its borders. :D