PDA

View Full Version : Good places to eat in San Antonio

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2007, 02:47 PM
http://www.alamocity.com/restaurants/

I've been approached be a few people asking about good places to eat in San Antonio. I'll give my opinions and some others that are in the know can throw their 2 cents in.

Personally I rarely eat downtown. As far as Mexican food goes, I feel I can get as good or usually even better food other places for less money. That said, Mi Tierra at the Mexican Market is a nice place. It has a 24 hour bakery and all the bells and whistles for a tourist. If anyone wants some suggestions away from the downtown area I'll be happy to give those. Blanco Cafe is one of those. Henry's Puffy Taco is pretty good also. Las Palapas has many locations and they have a "macho" burrito and an "okie" burrito. Good stuff, but again, away from the riverwalk.

jk disagrees with me, but many Okies that have visited us have confirmed my feeling that Good Time Charlie's has the best Chicken fried steak around here. Great burgers and chicken tenders. Not much to look at, but it's all good. jk likes the Jailhouse Cafe. I liked it alright, but they pound their CFS out so thin it's as big as your plate. I prefer it a little thicker. And if you bleed gravy, Charlie's can't be beat.

I've heard excellent things about Chris Madrid's, La Fogata, and Dick's Last Resort........all can be found on the link above.

Another link http://gotexas.about.com/od/6/tp/RiverwalkRest.htm

NormanPride
11/27/2007, 03:07 PM
La Paloma Blanca
La Fonda on Main
Beto's
Waterstreet Oyster Bar

If you know where any of those are, you pretty much know where I grew up. :)

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2007, 03:08 PM
Don Pedro's is pretty good, but I doubt any fans want to be cruising that part of town.

rufnek05
11/27/2007, 03:19 PM
Hooters

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2007, 03:20 PM
Hooters
yeah.....well........we'll throw Chili's, Hooters, TGI Friday's, etc...... in a big pile for anyone who wants the familiar chains.

And we finally have a Taco Bueno.

NormanPride
11/27/2007, 03:29 PM
Breakfast tacos at TC... *sigh*

Hamhock
11/27/2007, 04:21 PM
where's your hospitality?

gh55
11/27/2007, 04:22 PM
gracias señor sas

critical_phil
11/27/2007, 04:24 PM
And we finally have a Taco Bueno.

**** YEAH!

olevetonahill
11/27/2007, 05:03 PM
where's your hospitality?
What i was thinking
Hey sas what times dinner at your place ?

Boarder
11/27/2007, 05:19 PM
Hey, what about the Shrimp House place! That place is killer.

soonerbrat
11/27/2007, 05:35 PM
personally, I will be parking the car and staying on the riverwalk while i'm there, not driving around town. I just need a good place to drink.

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2007, 07:04 PM
Hey, what about the Shrimp House place! That place is killer.
Boarder likes Sea Island. I'm not a sea food guy, but if you trust him you might check it out;)

Actually I know a lot of other people that like it too.

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2007, 07:06 PM
What i was thinking
Hey sas what times dinner at your place ?
My house is located on a "dry lot". You'd have to drink your natty in the street.

olevetonahill
11/27/2007, 08:35 PM
My house is located on a "dry lot". You'd have to drink your natty in the street.
No problem Ill park at the curb and your olelady can bring me a plate :D

SanJoaquinSooner
11/27/2007, 09:19 PM
http://www.mitierracafe.com/

Boarder
11/27/2007, 09:24 PM
Sea Island. It's delicious. I highly recommend it. We eat there every time we go to Sea World. Maybe it's just me being hungry for seafood after being at Sea World all day.

bluedogok
11/27/2007, 10:16 PM
We don't get down to SA very often, but when we do we usually go to Mi Tierra.

There is a Taco Bueno open on I-35 in San Marcos now if you need to stop on the way down.....

jk the sooner fan
11/27/2007, 10:48 PM
mi tierra is good, but they own the place next door - la margarita - which i think is a little better

if you want good mexican food - STAY OFF THE RIVERWALK

there isnt any good tex mex on the riverwalk

la fogata is greatness for ambience and a good mex meal
tomatilla's is pretty good

chris madrids is good if you want a BIG GREASY burger

the jailhouse cafe on main street is better than good time charlies imo - but i've only eaten at charlies once, so perhaps i didnt give it a second chance

thenotman
11/28/2007, 12:29 PM
Shameless plug for the Touchdown Club

WHERE: The Iron Cactus Mexican Grill & Margarita Bar on the Riverwalk

WHEN: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 7:00 to 10:00 PM

WHAT: Fajita/Enchilada Buffet with all the "fix-ins" All-you-can-drink Domestic & Mexican bottled beer, house wine, and house frozen & on the rocks margaritas (A cash bar will be available for other drinks.)

COST: $85.00 per person (Call for children's prices.)

Reservations will be non-refundable. You must have a reservation. Reservations are made on a first come, first served basis.

Reservations must be made by Wednesday, November 28 at 3:00 PM.

https://www.outdclub.com/bigxiiform.php