PDA

View Full Version : I want a dramatic, heart-stopping, last second...

The Maestro
11/27/2007, 01:35 PM
…WIN! And I want it to be with a last second field goal or touchdown, not a defensive stand…for once--something that has been noticeably absent from the Stoops era. I was talking with some friends and we talked about how this season is really kind of a bummer with the way we lost our two games and we need some memorable moment to make it a great one. And we also talked about how a lot of the dramatic wins in the Stoops era did not include late scores by offense and really relied on the defense to make plays. No team has suffered as heart-breaking of losses as we have over the past few years…Stoops’ Sooners have lost 5 times over 9 years on the last play of the game…Ole Miss in 99, Texas Tech in 05, Oregon in 06, Boise in 06 and Colorado in 07. Stoops teams have ZERO wins on the last play and that is thanks in large part to killing a bunch of teams. But how awesome would it be to see us engineer a memorable “drive” to win the game? How about a last second field goal, circa Syracuse way back when? So it got me thinking back to the most dramatic Stoops wins and what fueled it…very little memories as far as offense making it happen late. Most of it was defense…and a double overtime win over the likes of Baylor does not count! It was Baylor! I am talking about decent teams! Not OSU in 2000, either...

The first close win was at Texas A&M in 2000…defense made the TD and the late stop. KSU in 2000 at the Big 12 title game…had a 10 point lead and KSU scored late, meaningless touchdown. Orange Bowl win…game winner came with 7 minutes left…KSU in 2001…one point win, but blew a 28-14 lead and only 3 points in the fourth quarter…Texas in 2001…Roy and the defense made the play…probably the most dramatic win under Stoops where offense scored late to take the lead was Alabama in 2002. The game winner came with 2:11 left and the defense still sealed the win with Bassey’s return. NO SIGNIFICANT TOUCHDOWNS FOR A STOOPS TEAM AT OU IN THE FINAL 2 MINUTES OF ANY GAME!!! Kind of strange to realize, but it is the truth. Ironically, the win at Missouri by 7 came on the fake field goal with 6:30 to play in 2002…Win at Bama in 2003…no points for OU in 4th quarter…win at OSU in 2004…blew 35-21 lead and only 3 fourth quarter points…win at Texas A&M in 04…scored game winner with 6:43 left and defense held on…7 point win at Nebraska in 05…blew 24-3 lead and held on late…win over Texas A&M in 05…blew 28-7 lead after 1st quarter and held on for win…win over Oregon in Holiday Bowl…no fourth quarter points and defense made the game winning play…win at Texas A&M in 06…14 points on first two drives and 3 points the rest of the game…win at OSU in 06…no fourth quarter points…and win vs. Texas this year…game winner came with 10:42 left.

I have watched SEC games all season that come down the last second. You see drama each and every week. We got sick last year of seeing the Oregon finish and the Boise State finish…now I want us to go out there and, if we have to, rally late and come from behind. All of our rallies when we are down by 10 or more come up short, it seems...from LSU in the Sugar Bowl to Boise last year to Tech this season. We don’t have a highlight type win. Wouldn’t you love to see Sam hit Malcolm with about 15 seconds left for a game winner that reminds you of the 18-17 Orange Bowl win over FSU with Forrest Valora getting the two point conversion? A field goal kick by Hartley that brings back thoughts of Tim Lashar breaking Nebraska’s heart in 1986? How about a long TD run like Little Joe or Patrick Collins? Without miracles from on high we are out of the national title race, so how about we claim the Big 12 title and head to the Fiesta Bowl with the biggest win of the day in the most dramatic fashion as possible? I know the game would be grueling, but the results would be incredible and a lot of fun! Stoops has not had a team make very many late minute offensive plays to win games, if any. Hell, you could argue that John Freaking Blake had more dramatic wins at OU than Stoops does...Texas-96, TCU-97 and Syracuse-98. Those were all heartstoppers!

Oh, and don’t get me started on how this speaks to Stoops getting VERY conservative, taking the gas of the pedal with a lead and letting teams back in games and forcing the defense to win so many of them!!!

Boomer Sooner and here’s hoping for a great Sooner win!

(sorry for the double post...the site was acting screwy!)

OUmillenium
11/27/2007, 01:37 PM
nominee for long post award

BoulderSooner79
11/27/2007, 02:02 PM
nominee for long post award

2nd that. I wish I had an attention span. :)

But I'd love a back and forth nail biter too - but you can't plan 'em.
We came so close in the Fiesta last year with the 4th down TD to tie,
then the pick-6 to win, er. Doh, nevermind. :mad:

SoonerBBall
11/27/2007, 02:02 PM
Screw that. I want a 50 point win that is not even close after the first 10 minutes of the game.

Sh*t, I want all the games OU plays to be ridiculously boring, huge, decisive wins.

yermom
11/27/2007, 02:03 PM
no thank you

i want a blowout

i've had enough drama in the last couple years :eek:

fossil
11/27/2007, 02:05 PM
Screw that. I want a 50 point win that is not even close after the first 10 minutes of the game.

Sh*t, I want all the games OU plays to be ridiculously boring, huge, decisive wins.
I with you SoonerB, I have enough already from this season to make it a memorable one. The fact that Sam Bradford turned out to be a great decision at quartetback makes this a year I will never forget already.

I say, 'lay half a hundred on'em'.

The Maestro
11/27/2007, 02:07 PM
Okay...short version. Minus the Baylor 2OT win, name the last time OU scored offensive points in the final two minutes of a game to win...

I wish we had more memories like great moments from the past. Stoops has five losses on the last play of the game...two of those, of course, officials aided.

yermom
11/27/2007, 02:11 PM
we almost did in the Tech debacle in Lubbock in 2005... it's that "Prevent Victory" defense of ours :O

The Maestro
11/27/2007, 02:14 PM
Yes, we "almost" have quite a few times...but when did we?

Seamus
11/27/2007, 02:16 PM
Seriously, BBall -- I'm wit chu. Screw dramatic. I'd rather have a 50-point cushion and avoid the damn digitalis.

MextheBulldog
11/27/2007, 02:24 PM
Just win, baby.

The Maestro
11/27/2007, 02:28 PM
So which OU-Nebraska game brings back better memories...1985 or 1986?

We just don't have a flare for the dramatic WIN...we have a knack for the dramatic loss of late.

yermom
11/27/2007, 03:00 PM
Yes, we "almost" have quite a few times...but when did we?

well, it wasn't the offense's fault... that's all i'm sayin'

we were down 2 scores, and went up with just a little too much time left on the clock

crawfish
11/27/2007, 03:12 PM
If we let the game stay too close, the refs'll decide it. Just like they always do. :mad:

I say we beat 'em by 100.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/27/2007, 03:20 PM
Okay...short version. Minus the Baylor 2OT win, name the last time OU scored offensive points in the final two minutes of a game to win...

I wish we had more memories like great moments from the past. Stoops has five losses on the last play of the game...two of those, of course, officials aided.
Oregon 2006. Reggie returns the Oregon kick off to field goal range. The FG is blocked. :(

The Maestro
11/27/2007, 03:22 PM
Oregon 2006. Reggie returns the Oregon kick off to field goal range. The FG is blocked. :(

Yep...could've been. One of Stoops five games lost on the final play of the game.

ocsooner
11/27/2007, 03:24 PM
If you have a bunch of close last second wins, you tend to have a bunch of close last second losses. No thanks, I'll take the boring 4th quarters any day.

AverageJoe
11/27/2007, 03:24 PM
Clint A. Adams wannabe............;)

The Maestro
11/27/2007, 03:29 PM
If you have a bunch of close last second wins, you tend to have a bunch of close last second losses. No thanks, I'll take the boring 4th quarters any day.

Good God, people...that is my freaking point! WE DON'T HAVE ANY OFFENSIVE CAUSED LAST SECOND WINS!!! JUST LOSSES!!!

texas bandman
11/27/2007, 03:41 PM
My favorite last second win was in 1977 at Ohio State on Uwe von Schamann's last second field goal. Classic!

"Switzer sent in von Schamann, perfect in five field goal attempts thus far in the season, to attempt a 41-yard field goal. Ohio State called a time out to try to "ice" him, and the crowd started chanting, "Block that kick". Uwe calmly removed his helmet, walked around, and started to wave his arm leading them in their own cheer.
Oklahoma lined up, with Hebert kneeling down to hold the snap from Mark Lucky. In a play that would come to be known in Sooner lore as "The Kick", von Schamann booted the ball over a leaping mills and Brown, and split the uprights, putting the Sooners up 29-28.

Oklahoma's players and fans stormed the field momentarily, while Ohio State players walked off the field dejected, before realizing there were still three seconds left in the game. A penalty flag for delay of game was thrown against Oklahoma, and would be assessed on the kickoff.

Oklahoma kicked off from the 35, and von Schamann lofted a short kick down the left side. Three Sooners jumped up to try to catch the ball before it fell out of bounds, but to no avail. Ohio State got the ball on their 33-yard line with two seconds left, time for one last play. Castignola dropped back to pass, but the rush got to him. He scrambled for 14 yards before being tackled by Hudgins, and Oklahoma won a thriller, 29-28."

BoulderSooner79
11/27/2007, 04:39 PM
Good God, people...that is my freaking point! WE DON'T HAVE ANY OFFENSIVE CAUSED LAST SECOND WINS!!! JUST LOSSES!!!

I get your point and totally agree. Sure, we all want a decisive win every game, but it ain't going to happen. To win championships, there is almost always going to be a game or 2 where you have to make a play in a close, hard fought battle. In 2000, it was A&M. For UT in 2005, it was tOSU and of course, USC. A team has to have the heart to win one of those and sometimes it needs to be on offense. It does seem that opponents have been able to do that to OU recently, but not the other way around - maybe just the luck of the draw.

When you see a game like that, the excitement sticks with you. I also watched the '77 tOSU game on TV and my stomach was turnin' so much I couldn't eat. We had an Orange bowl against FSU around 1980 where we were big underdogs and won 18-17 on a clutch last minute drive. Awesome. There was a thread about favorite all-time victories and last second victories won by the offense appear on everyone's lists.

Now here's to beating MU by 50 :D

The Maestro
11/27/2007, 04:48 PM
Hey, I love wins any way we can get them...but this season has been dull.

Miami, Texas and Missouri are just about the only big time feel good games for me. Everything else was kind of ho-hum and I even missed parts of other games watching the end of games like LSU-Kentucky, Alabama-LSU...you know, dramatic, gut-wrenching games that came down to the wire. Baylor and aTm games this year were snoozers...ISU just flat ****ed me off...Colorado was a nightmare...Texas Tech was a trainwreck...UNT, Utah State and Tulsa were just jokes...and I enjoyed ******, but it was a week after getting knocked out of the national title race.

No great memories so far this year...so I want one.

stoopified
11/27/2007, 04:50 PM
no thank you

i want a blowout

i've had enough drama in the last couple years :eek:Me too.If its close,the refs will screw us(See TT '05,'07,UO '06).

KHS Sooner
11/27/2007, 04:52 PM
Hey, I love wins any way we can get them...but this season has been dull.

Miami, Texas and Missouri are just about the only big time feel good games for me. Everything else was kind of ho-hum and I even missed parts of other games watching the end of games like LSU-Kentucky, Alabama-LSU...you know, dramatic, gut-wrenching games that came down to the wire. Baylor and aTm games this year were snoozers...ISU just flat ****ed me off...Colorado was a nightmare...Texas Tech was a trainwreck...UNT, Utah State and Tulsa were just jokes...and I enjoyed ******, but it was a week after getting knocked out of the national title race.

No great memories so far this year...so I want one.

To scary. I'll take a blowout. :D

fadada1
11/27/2007, 04:54 PM
screw the close ones. i swear i put on 10 years in the close games. i prefer being able to relax about 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter.

CobraKai
11/27/2007, 05:00 PM

Exactly. I enjoy nothing more than a freaking blowout of epic proportions. That way I can sit back, relax, and enjoy every second of the game, knowing that the outcome is not in question!

47Wins
11/27/2007, 07:46 PM
Mercy rule for booger and the boys, no later than middle of second quarter!

85sooners
11/27/2007, 08:08 PM
f em 70-3

cobrapilot
11/27/2007, 08:11 PM
I want to kick the **** out of Missouri, I want total domination from the first to last play

Johnny Utah
11/27/2007, 08:42 PM

If I totally get what you mean, you want OU to be the team that wins instead of loses in the last second(s) of a game (for a change). I live in SEC country and (unfortunately) those late losses have "defined" OU football around here, and I have to battle that perception almost every day (during football season).