PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Changes

TopDawg
11/27/2007, 12:41 PM
We can track them here.

Arkansas
Old Coach - Houston Nutt (resigned after 10 seasons)
New Coach - Bobby Petrino (former Atlanta Falcons HC)

Baylor
Old Coach - Guy Morriss (fired after 5 seasons)
New Coach - Art Briles (former Houston HC)

Colorado State
Old Coach - Sonny Lubick ("stepping down" after 16 seasons)
New Coach - Steve Fairchild (former Buffalo Bills OC)

Duke
Old Coach - Ted Roof (fired after 4+ seasons)
New Coach - David Cutcliffe (Tennessee OC)

Georgia Tech
Old Coach - Chan Gailey (fired after 6 seasons)
New Coach - Paul Johnson (former Navy HC)

Hawaii
Old Coach - June Jones (left for SMU job)
New Coach - Greg McMackin (former Hawaii DC)

Houston
Old Coach - Art Briles (left for Baylor job)
New Coach - Kevin Sumlin (former Oklahoma OC)

Michigan
Old Coach - Lloyd Carr (retired after 13 seasons)
New Coach - Rich Rodriguez (former West Virginia HC)

Mississippi
Old Coach - Ed Oregeron (fired after 3 seasons)
New Coach - Houston Nutt (former Arkansas head coach)

Navy
Old Coach - Paul Johnson (accepted Georgia Tech job)
New Coach - Ken Niumatalolo (former Navy assistant coach)

Nebraska
Old Coach - Bill Callahan (fired after 4 seasons)
New Coach - Bo Pelini (former LSU DC)

Northern Illinois
Old Coach - Joe Novak (retired after 12 seasons)
New Coach - Jerry Kill (former Southern Illinois HC)

Oklahoma
Old Assistant Coach - Kevin Sumlin (left for Houston HC position)
New Assistant Coach - Jay Norvell (former UCLA OC)

Southern Methodist
Old Coach - Phil Bennett (fired after 6 seasons)
New Coach - June Jones (former Hawaii HC)

Southern Mississippi
Old Coach - Jeff Bower (resigned after 14 seasons)
New Coach - Larry Fedora (former Oklahoma State OC)

Texas A&M
Old Coach - Dennis Franchione ("resigned" after 5 years)
New Coach - Mike Sherman (former Green Bay Packers head coach)

UCLA
Old Coach - Carl Dorrell
New Coach - Rick Neuheisel (former Baltimore Raves OC)

Washington State
Old Coach - Bill Doba (resigned after 5 years)
New Coach - Paul Wulff (former Eastern Washington HC)

West Virginia
Old Coach - Rich Rodriguez (accepted Michigan HC job)
New Coach - Bill Stewart (former WVU asst. coach)

sooner45
11/27/2007, 12:44 PM
Should look like this

Southern Methodist
Old Coach - Phil Bennett (fired after 6 seasons)
New Coach -

TopDawg
11/27/2007, 12:56 PM
Oops! Thanks for catching that.

mOUse
11/27/2007, 01:01 PM
wouldn't it be great if Fran goes to baylor and turns out to be consistently 3rd or 4th in the south every year and whips A&M every year!:)

TopDawg
11/27/2007, 02:34 PM
I've added CSU and a few of the rumored leading candidates.

TopDawg
11/27/2007, 03:13 PM
Update care of new info from Sic'Em

Mixer!
11/27/2007, 03:15 PM
I heard Mason's name mentioned with the Nebraska job on FOXsports radio.

TopDawg
11/27/2007, 03:18 PM
I heard Mason's name mentioned with the Nebraska job on FOXsports radio.

Interesting. I've updated it now.

sooneron
11/27/2007, 03:21 PM
Shouldn't Houston be on the board now?

meoveryouxinfinity
11/27/2007, 03:24 PM
So what happened with all the Kirk Ferentz to Michigan rumors?

TopDawg
11/27/2007, 03:25 PM
So what happened with all the Kirk Ferentz to Michigan rumors?

Latest I heard was that he hadn't been contacted.

That might not be the latest, though.

TopDawg
11/27/2007, 03:27 PM
Shouldn't Houston be on the board now?

Yes. And now it is. Thanks.

TopDawg
11/27/2007, 06:01 PM
Updated with some good info from Rhino.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/27/2007, 06:11 PM
Latest I heard was that he hadn't been contacted.

That might not be the latest, though.
The rumor around Iowa fans is that Kirk was offered the job Monday and has 72 hours (until Wednesday) to decide. This was because Les Miles did some shady recruiting against Lloyd Carr by telling recruits that Carr has parkinson's (LOL). Yeah, I know I'm just :rolleyes: at Iowa fans because they think their mediocre coach has a chance to turn down "greatness" (HC for Michigan) for loyalty to Iowa.

KHS Sooner
11/27/2007, 06:13 PM
Geesh SicEm doesn't know anything.

aurorasooner
11/27/2007, 06:27 PM
his was because Les Miles did some shady recruiting against Lloyd Carr by telling recruits that Carr has parkinson's Now that's funny. I guess if any of those HS kids viewed Lester's "figh & resolv, we play any suckas anywhere" YouTube video, they would've thought he was basing that on self-experience at least the spasmodic part. I read somewhere that UM pres. was from Iowa and had a good relationship with Ferentz, but I just can't believe that with all these young coaches out there, conference teams s*&t on their conference neighbors for head coaches. Has a Big 12 team ever pirated a head coach from another conference team?

usmc-sooner
11/27/2007, 06:37 PM
I've heard mention of Wilson, Venables and Sumlin, for jobs and by mention I mean I heard it on the radio and any moron could have said it.

KHS Sooner
11/27/2007, 06:42 PM
I've heard mention of Wilson, Venables and Sumlin, for jobs and by mention I mean I heard it on the radio and any moron could have said it.

Gah, don't even wanna think about it.

OklaPony
11/27/2007, 06:43 PM
On the Baylor thing, ESPN said the job has been offered to Briles. That was as of about 2:30 this afternoon.

usmc-sooner
11/27/2007, 06:46 PM
Mike Gundy to Notre Dame or LSU

sooneron
11/27/2007, 06:49 PM
Mike Gundy to Notre Dame or LSU
Both states win, due to both states iqs going up!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2007, 06:57 PM
Nebraska just called me and said they was impressed with my play calling on NCAA 08 over the internet..they ll be town tomorrow..I ll keep ya posted

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2007, 07:04 PM
Couple of names to keep up with the coaching carousel

Ed Gennero

Wally Rig

usmc-sooner
11/27/2007, 07:10 PM
Couple of names to keep up with the coaching carousel

Ed Gennero

Wally Rig

YOU PLAY FOOTBALL LIKE ED GENERRO PLAYED FOOTBALL. A guy who gave his life for this football team. He was a 140-pound halfback, and HE PLAYED LIKE A GO%^%MN WILDMAN! NO! LIKE A GO*&MN RAMPAGING BEAST! And that's the way you got to do it!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2007, 07:13 PM
If this wasn't friggin astro-turf, I'd dig a grave for myself.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2007, 07:23 PM
OK WIth a big win over OU this year, Who wants to hire this guy?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Dan_Hawkins-Colorado.jpg/721px-Dan_Hawkins-Colorado.jpg

Horns 72
11/27/2007, 10:44 PM
Surprised no one's looking at Kansas's OC, Ed Warriner

TopDawg
11/28/2007, 10:49 AM
On the Baylor thing, ESPN said the job has been offered to Briles. That was as of about 2:30 this afternoon.

Thanky.

I've updated the list. It sounds like Michigan might have a front-runner now.

usmc-sooner
11/28/2007, 10:52 AM
any news on Fedora, You can hear the crashing and burning in Stillwater when that happens.

85sooners
11/28/2007, 11:03 AM
Mike Gundy to Notre Dame or LSU:D

OklahomaTuba
11/28/2007, 02:04 PM
Sumlin is a possibility for wazzu now. And the A&M OC.

bluedogok
11/28/2007, 02:28 PM
I heard a Lane Kiffin (Oakland Raiders) to Arkansas rumor on WEEI-Boston earlier today.

aurorasooner
11/28/2007, 04:05 PM
November 28, 2007 Huskers get permission to interview Kelly

The University of Cincinnati has given permission to Nebraska to interview Bearcats head coach Brian Kelly for the vacant Huskers position, according to Todd Cunningham of Rivals' BearcatLair and James Farmer of Scouts' BearcatInsider.

When contacted by the Cincinnati student newspaper, The News Record, officals in the Bearcats athletic department would neither confirm nor deny the reports.

Both Kelly and UC AD Mike Thomas have agreed not to comment on any coaching rumors regarding Kelly for the sake of the team and for recruiting purposes.

"When you're building a program and you're having success, your name is going to get talked about," Kelly said when he was informed that rumors swirling around Nebraska mentioned his name as a possible candidate. "When I know something and you know something, we'll be able to talk about it. Other than that, we're just building a program here. Other than that, it's all speculation. It's going to happen when you're building a program and having success.

"I'm not going to mislead anybody. I'm not going to lie to anybody. This is the way it is. The way it is is that it's all speculation. It happens every year. When you're building a program, your name gets thrown around."

Kelly, who's known for his explosive offenses, won two DI-AA championships at Grand Valley State in Michigan, where he compiled a 118-35-2 record over nine seasons. Kelly then became the coach at Central Michigan, taking a 4-win team and transforming the Chippewas into MAC conference champions in just three seasons.

Kelly, who finished his first season at Cincinnati with a 9-3 record, has also been linked to the coaching search at Michigan.

BudSooner
11/28/2007, 04:21 PM
ESPN reporting that Auburn and Tubby have agreed to a contract extension.

Soonerfan88
11/28/2007, 04:51 PM
Fedora is supposedly a serious candidate for Houston.

And according to some fat cats in Dallas, SMU's new coach is a big name and involved in a game this weekend so nothing will be announced yet.

Now hearing rumbles of Leach possibly to Arkansas????

Overall, it's going to be an interesting December. :pop:

TopDawg
11/28/2007, 05:14 PM
Updated. Some rumors beginning to surface that Pickens wants Gundy out.

Also generally expected that Dorrell will lose his job at UCLA if they lose to USC this weekend.

aurorasooner
11/28/2007, 05:29 PM
Also generally expected that Dorrell will lose his job at UCLA if they lose to USC this weekend. I saw that with Leach and Norm Chow as the top 2 candidates. (BCA will throw a S*@t fit over that). UCLA doesn't pay coaches worth a crap though. If the Arkies have offered Leach, I bet he stonewalls them until next week to see if UCLA offers, and what they offer.
That was in the same article as USC negotiating with the Rose Bowl to host it's home games next year because the Coliseum Authority hasn't been upgrading the facility and won't let USC take control of it and upgrade the basics, restrooms, concessions etc. I haven't ever paid any attention to it, but I thought USC owned the Coliseum.

usmc-sooner
11/28/2007, 05:36 PM
Updated. Some rumors beginning to surface that Pickens wants Gundy out.

Also generally expected that Dorrell will lose his job at UCLA if they lose to USC this weekend.

where'd you hear that about Pickens, if you can tell.

I hope they keep him for a while

OklahomaTuba
11/28/2007, 05:37 PM
USC should play in the Orange Bowl. It would be an improvement over watts and a much nicer, more modern facility. Also, its available next year.

bluedogok
11/28/2007, 05:42 PM
I saw that with Leach and Norm Chow as the top 2 candidates. (BCA will throw a S*@t fit over that). UCLA doesn't pay coaches worth a crap though. If the Arkies have offered Leach, I bet he stonewalls them until next week to see if UCLA offers, and what they offer.
If UCLA hired Chow could they really pitch a legitimate fit since Chow is a minority as well?

That was in the same article as USC negotiating with the Rose Bowl to host it's home games next year because the Coliseum Authority hasn't been upgrading the facility and won't let USC take control of it and upgrade the basics, restrooms, concessions etc. I haven't ever paid any attention to it, but I thought USC owned the Coliseum.
It may be adjacent to the campus put I think it has always been the commission property including the Sports Arena and the Natatorium that was built for the Olympics. I don't think they would ever be able to wrest control from the city commission that runs it until a new stadium was built for an NFL team.

TopDawg
11/28/2007, 05:54 PM
where'd you hear that about Pickens, if you can tell.

I hope they keep him for a while

I hope so too. My source for that one is footballscoop.com but they don't list their source.

aurorasooner
11/28/2007, 06:39 PM
I guess Syracuse saw the all the coaching openings & said "screw that". I would imagine the 'cuse fans aren't too happy. They play @ Notre Dame in 2008. That should be a good one. No wonder Applesauce said adios to Robinson and jumped to Rice.
Robinson gets fourth year with 'Cuse
Posted: Wednesday November 28, 2007 5:36PM; Updated: Wednesday November 28, 2007 5:37PM
Print ThisE-mail ThisFree E-mail AlertsSave ThisMost PopularRSS Aggregators

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) -- Greg Robinson will have another season to get Syracuse turned around.

Athletic director Daryl Gross said Wednesday that Robinson will remain as coach in 2008, despite leading the Orange to through the worst three-year stretch in the history of the program.

Robinson, who became a head coach for the first time in his 30-year coaching career when he succeeded Paul Pasqualoni in January 2005, is 7-28 and 2-19 in the Big East.

Robinson's teams have gone 1-10, 4-8 and 2-10. In those 28 losses, Syracuse has been outscored by 514 points.

ouwapiti
11/28/2007, 06:58 PM
colorado state needs to look at bob stitt from colorado mines....has done a great job that has to be one of the hardest places to recruit in the nation !!!!!!

aurorasooner
11/28/2007, 07:38 PM
colorado state needs to look at bob stitt from colorado mines....has done a great job that has to be one of the hardest places to recruit in the nation !!!!!! I don't have a clue who the Lambies will get as a head coach. They definitely need a coach who does more with less, and knows how to find those players hidden under west-coast rocks. Sonny just went into the toilet after his assistants bolted with Dorrell. I'm not really sure that Sonny being a living legend is so true, outside of Ft. Collins anyway.
His (the CSU AD) phone has already been ringing, saying there were more than 12 inquiries for the position from either coaches or their agents. And he expects the phone to continue to ring because of what Lubick left behind.

“He’s like Bob Devaney in Nebraska,” Kowalczyk said. “That program wasn’t what it was until Devaney came along and put it on the map. Sonny’s done that here. That part of it makes this job more attractive.” If there we're already 12 inquires for the CSU job and they're looking at these guys then imo that Devaney comparison by the CSU AD is somewhat blown out of proportion, I think they're on the Big-time-football map about like Stool State.
Possible candidates mentioned have been Southern Illinois coach Jerry Kill, whom Kowalczyk hired for the school; Akron coach J.D. Brookhart and Buffalo Bills coach Steve Fairchild, both with ties to CSU; and Denver assistant Rick Dennison.

OUinFLA
11/28/2007, 09:47 PM
Leslie is gonna talk to Michigan, with permission of course :D
Im thinkin he's going (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3132538)

TopDawg
11/29/2007, 04:47 PM
Sorry, it's been a while.

Updated Houston, Nebraska, Northern Illinois, Southern Miss

AllAboutThe'O'
11/29/2007, 09:34 PM
It's looking likely that Tommy Tuberville is going to leave Auburn and take over at Arkansas, the third SEC West school Tubs has coached:

http://nwahomepage.com/content/fulltext/?sid=3c773ab52a755d6cdb6d3fe6a6508ad0&cid=9240

TopDawg
12/1/2007, 12:00 AM
Lots of rumors that Pelini is the next Husker coach, but he's denying them right now. And it sounds like Miles is the guy at Michigan, but nothing official yet...so no updates to the original post on either of those fronts.

Sounds like UConn's Edsall might be the front-runner for Ga Tech.

bluedogok
12/1/2007, 12:12 AM
Sunday/Monday will be the big day, especially for the LSU duo. It seems they wanted to "wait" until after the SEC game.

TopDawg
12/1/2007, 01:06 PM
Yeah. No surprise there. We could also see some changes at UCLA next week.

OUinFLA
12/1/2007, 01:12 PM
1:50 press conference for Miles
seems like lsu tossed a suitcase full of $$$$ his way.
espn now says he stays
oh, and espn also says he goes to michigan

I guess that's really hedging your bets

TopDawg
12/4/2007, 11:05 AM
Updated.

Looks like Washington has rescheduled Willingham's regular press conference this week due to a "late return time" from Hawaii.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

TopDawg
12/5/2007, 12:50 PM
Updated. Tuberville and Bowden both sign extensions, essentially removing themselves from the market.

aurorasooner
12/5/2007, 05:30 PM

According to Joe Schad and the other reporters at ESPN from their sources, Florida State offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher will be given a raise to $1 million a year (for a coordinator, mind you) for three years and the assurance that he'll replace legendary Bobby Bowden as Florida State's head coach when the great one retires.

One of Arkansas' planes, the one used by the Razorback Foundation and presumably carrying incoming athletic director Jeff Long from one possible hire to another, arrived in Tallahassee yesterday from Raleigh-Durham, N.C. One day later, FSU is scrambling to make sure Jimbo Fisher doesn't leave.

Butch Davis, the coach at North Carolina, is in line for a raise at Chapel Hill, just about six miles from the Raleigh-Durham airport. You've probably heard by now that Tommy Bowden at Clemson got a sweeter deal out of Clemson after a flirtation on the Long plane.

Tommy Tuberville has a sweeter deal at Auburn, Ron English is getting some extra summer days off at Michigan, Gus Malzahn is feeling happy at Tulsa, Joker Phillips is smiling at Lexington, Ky., and the list goes on and on.

Don't follow the money, just follow the plane and the money follows.

Speaking of planes, the other UA plane, presumably being used by a Board of Trustee member or two, was at Love Field over night in Dallas and was heading back to Fayetteville Wednesday afternoon.

mdklatt
12/5/2007, 05:39 PM
Uh oh, somebody's been looking at flightaware.com again.

:rolleyes:

TopDawg
12/5/2007, 06:26 PM
Updated: Now in color! (Schools who have hired a new coach now appear in green!

TopDawg
12/5/2007, 07:29 PM
Updated...Duke, Ga Tech, Houston, SMU

aurorasooner
12/5/2007, 11:07 PM
REPORTS: Grobe Accepts Arkansas Job Offer
Published by AdamGold December 5th, 2007 in ACC Football.

The Arkansas News and other published reports claim that Wake Forest’s Jim Grobe is, well, no longer Wake Forest’s Jim Grobe. Headed for Butch Davis’ alma mater as the head coach of the Razorbacks instead of coming back to Winston-Salem for another year. More details on this and other items, like how this makes Joe Alleva’s job 400 times more difficult, in a few…

As for now, the news that Grobe is taking the Arkansas job shouldn’t come as a shock. Grobe’s stock has never been higher the last 2 seasons, having spoke informally with Nebraska about their vacancy and being touted as a possibility to replace Lloyd Carr at Michigan. The Razorbacks were busy giving other coaches an excuse to seek raises from their current schools, but it looks like they finally achieved their goal of landing an ACC coach after being unsuccessful with Davis and Tommy Bowden. Pigs rivals board (http://arkansas.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1191&tid=107655273&mid=107655273&sid=1033&style=2)

bluedogok
12/5/2007, 11:56 PM
Updated: Now in color! (Schools who have hired a new coach now appear in green!
Shouldn't the coaches that signed fat contract extensions be in GREEN :D

TopDawg
12/6/2007, 11:25 AM
Heh. Good point.

Thanks for the update, aurora. It's definitely looking like that's a done deal. As soon as it's official, I'll update the list.

Sooner Among The Pack
12/6/2007, 12:48 PM
Heard on 97.5 The Ticket down here in Houston that Sumlin was meeting today (I guess maybe interviewing) for the Coug's head coaching job.

Any update on this?

TopDawg
12/6/2007, 12:52 PM
Heh. Good point.

Thanks for the update, aurora. It's definitely looking like that's a done deal. As soon as it's official, I'll update the list.

Glad I waited. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3143977)

Whet
12/6/2007, 01:36 PM
Leach NOT to UCLA

UCLA unlikely to pursue Leach

Bruins probably couldn't afford the Texas Tech coach.
By ROBERT KUWADA
The Orange County Register

LOS ANGELES -- UCLA has not yet aligned with an executive search firm to aid in its efforts to find a replacement for Coach Karl Dorrell, but when its pool of candidates is put together Texas Tech coach Mike Leach will not be swimming in the deep end.
The Bruins will look elsewhere for their next football coach, though Leach is believed to have some interest in the job along with a group that includes UCLA defensive coordinator DeWayne Walker, Seattle Seahawks assistant head coach/secondary Jim Mora Jr., Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly, Oakland Raiders' offensive line coach Tom Cable and Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow.
Walker will serve as interim coach in the Dec. 22 Las Vegas Bowl against Brigham Young.
Leach will be paid $1.85 million next season, $1.95 million in 2009 and $2.15 million in 2010, but financial considerations might not be the only factor in a decision not to pursue the Texas Tech coach. Leach, contacted Wednesday, did not seem too concerned with his contract – or any contracts that he will sign in the future whether at Texas Tech or elsewhere.
"To tell you the truth, I don't even know how much I make and right now, I'm just concerned about getting a first down against Virginia (in the Gator Bowl)," he said.
"I want a fair shake, but the biggest thing for me is to be able to concentrate on football."
The Bruins will do that again starting Saturday, when they have their first bowl practice under Walker. By then, the coaching search likely will have gained momentum. Athletic Director Dan Guerrero is expected to retain a search firm this week, at which point they can start to pare down a list of candidates, conduct background checks and start an interview process.
The UCLA athletic director also said during the news conference to announce Dorrell's dismissal that Chancellor Gene Block and associate athletic director for football Bob Field will be involved in the search process. Guerrero was on campus on Wednesday and will be in Las Vegas today for a Las Vegas Bowl news conference, along with Walker.

LINK (http://www.ocregister.com/sports/coach-search-leach-1936265-bowl-walker)

Grimey
12/6/2007, 01:42 PM
I'd like to see Norm Chow get that one. See if he can be a good head coach.

TopDawg
12/11/2007, 03:21 PM
Wow, I had some catching up to do.

Updated. I looks like Norm is a candidate.

NYC Poke
12/11/2007, 03:32 PM
I read an article this morning (I think Dinehart from Sporting News) that said that Dorrell only made $850,000 and his coordinators only $300,000. UCLA needs to pony up if they want to get somebody good (which was the gist of the article).

TopDawg
12/11/2007, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I read something about how Leach would be taking a big cut to be UCLA's head coach. Taking a big cut to go live in a much more expensive place.

But he wouldn't be in Lubbock and he wouldn't be around Bobby Knight, so maybe it's not so bad after all.

TopDawg
12/11/2007, 04:14 PM
On a similar note, Michigan doesn't pay as much as most people probably think. It's not so much because they think "We don't have to pay a lot because we're Michigan" as much as it's just not something they do. UCLA might be the same way.

Desert Sapper
12/11/2007, 04:32 PM
I'd like to see Norm Chow get that one. See if he can be a good head coach.

Agree. Norm deserves a shot at the head job (and a chance to kick petey's ***).:D

AllAboutThe'O'
12/11/2007, 05:58 PM
I read an article this morning (I think Dinehart from Sporting News) that said that Dorrell only made $850,000 and his coordinators only $300,000. UCLA needs to pony up if they want to get somebody good (which was the gist of the article).
For some reason, UCLA has been known as a school with a reputation for getting its head coaches on the cheap. I believe Ben Howland (the hoops coach) took a pay cut to go from Pittsburgh to UCLA because he's a southern California native and that coaching at UCLA was his dream job. Other UCLA head coaches in the past, like Vermeil, Donahue, Toledo, were either local natives or former UCLA assistants that got the head job because the Bruins weren't going to shell out the money for a big-name coach.

OklahomaTuba
12/11/2007, 06:03 PM
Arkincest just hired Bobby Petrino from the Falcons.

NYC Poke
12/11/2007, 06:05 PM

Guess he's not drafting Brohm . . .

OklahomaTuba
12/11/2007, 06:08 PM
All I know is, Louisville is F'n ****ed!

AllAboutThe'O'
12/11/2007, 06:09 PM
Not a done deal just yet, ESPN's just reporting it. Hopefully, it's not Kirk Herbstreit reporting it.

TopDawg
12/11/2007, 06:46 PM
Updated Wazzu and Arkie

SoCal
12/11/2007, 06:56 PM
Bobby Petrino abruptly resigned his position as coach of the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday and is negotiating an agreement to become the new coach at the University of Arkansas, multiple sources told ESPN.

Bobby Petrino's first foray into the NFL coaching ranks lasted 13 games. Ten were losses.

Petrino and his agent had been talking with the Falcons about his preference to return to the college ranks. The former Louisville coach was looking for an opportunity to break into the Southeastern Conference ranks, and Arkansas was a natural fit.

Citing the team as its source, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported on its Web site that Petrino phoned the Falcons about 5:45 p.m. Tuesday and resigned. Petrino and the team agreed he would not coach the Falcons' remaining three games, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Negotiations between Petrino and Arkansas are ongoing, the sources told ESPN. Once a deal is in place, Petrino is expected to be paid around $3 million a year, the sources said.

Petrino signed a five-year, $24 million contract to be the Falcons head coach, so he will be taking a pay cut to re-enter the college ranks. The Falcons are 3-10 and have had their season torn apart by Michael Vick's involvement in a dogfighting ring and subsequent 23-month jail sentence, which was levied Monday.

NFL sources said there was no buyout in Petrino's contract with the Falcons.

Petrino will succeed Houston Nutt, who was hired by Mississippi immediately after resigning at Arkansas. Tommy Tuberville and Tommy Bowden were both linked to the Arkansas opening, but they remained as coaches at Auburn and Clemson, respectively.

Arkansas flirted with hiring Jim Grobe -- a private fundraising arm for the Razorbacks approved a salary supplement for the Wake Forest coach -- but Grobe stayed with the Demon Deacons.

TopDawg
12/11/2007, 07:03 PM
Once the negotiations are complete and the announcement is made by the school I'll update the original post. I'm not trying to be the first to break the story, just to provide you all with a one-stop, accurate list of the coaching changes.

bluedogok
12/11/2007, 10:13 PM
Hog press conference @ 10:30 tonight.

sitzpinkler
12/12/2007, 12:21 AM
nevermind.

TopDawg
12/12/2007, 11:10 AM
Petrino's the man at Arkansas, looks like it's going to be Fedora at Southern Miss.

TUSooner
12/12/2007, 11:48 AM
best thread ever

TopDawg
12/12/2007, 03:06 PM
Colorado State's got their guy.

buffalobill989
12/12/2007, 04:48 PM
Colorado State's got their guy.

PRAISE GOD IM GLAD HES GONE.:D

TopDawg
12/12/2007, 06:03 PM
it's official at Southern Miss

NYC Poke
12/12/2007, 06:26 PM
Help wanted: Duke posts online ad for a football coach

By JOEDY McCREARY, AP Sports Writer
December 12, 2007

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) -- Maybe this is why Duke's football team has been so perennially putrid: there's nothing in the coach's job description about winning games.

All the details are spelled out on the university's human resources Web site, where -- right above an ad for a nursing assistant -- there's a job posting for "Head Football Coach." Just click to apply.

The listing was posted Nov. 29, three days after Ted Roof was fired, and runs down several duties expected of the new coach, such as counseling players in academic and disciplinary matters, preparing budget recommendations and assigning assistants to recruit specific regions of the country.

The coach also must represent Duke at civic, charity and alumni events.

Despite what athletic director Joe Alleva has said, nowhere in job requisition No. 400160742 is it mentioned that the new coach's most important task is bringing a winner to success-starved Duke.

The Blue Devils have won just 22 games in 13 years, including three losing streaks of 15 games or worse. Duke has three straight seasons with 10 or more defeats and has taken an undesired place as one of the worst programs in the Bowl Subdivision.

"This business is very results-oriented, and when you win four games in four years, it makes you take a hard look at what you're doing," Alleva said when Roof was fired after finishing 6-45 in four-plus seasons. "I felt that we had to make a change because of that."

Neither Alleva nor Duke Human Resources vice president Clint Davidson Jr. returned telephone messages left Wednesday to discuss the job listing.

Duke officials said the opening was posted to comply with university regulations that require the listing of all approved, vacant positions for at least seven days on the school's employment Web site. Citing privacy issues, they declined to say if any wannabe coaches or message board experts have applied online.

rest of the article: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AhUUXOiU.lV.KFOFw6LDkjccvrYF?slug=ap-duke-helpwanted&prov=ap&type=lgns

NYC Poke
12/12/2007, 06:31 PM
Apply here: https://www.hr.duke.edu/secure/jobs/external.html

snp
12/13/2007, 01:54 AM
http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/search/results/?job_category=11086&ss=0&sec=browse

I've seen other respectable programs that list their vacant HC position here before. Not that uncommon for Duke.

tommieharris91
12/13/2007, 02:07 AM
Occupational Summary

Direct and coordinate the planning, organizing and coaching of the Duke University football team.

Work Performed

Provide leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student athletes at Duke University. Direct and coordinate the activities of the Football Staff in the planning, organizing and coaching of the Duke University football team; ensure compliance with University, Conference and NCAA policies and regulations. Direct the Football Staff in the preparation of analyses of opponent teams; analyze game statistics and tactical data of opponents and prepare game plans accordingly. Counsel team members in academic, disciplinary and personal matters; consult with University administration and faculty for resolution of problems as required. Assign geographical areas to and supervise the Football Staff in the recruitment of new players; determine recipients of football scholarships in accordance with University admissions policies. Determine fiscal requirements and prepare budgetary recommendations; monitor, verify and reconcile expenditures of budgeted funds. Direct various personnel functions including, but not limited to, hiring, merit recommendations, promotions, transfers and vacation schedules. Study, evaluate and implement innovations in football strategy and equipment. Represent the Duke University Athletic Department in professional, civic, charity and alumni events. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.

Jacie
12/13/2007, 07:37 AM
I think a lot of posters to this board have or have had positions that involve most of a Duke coach responsibilities. Maybe we should flood them with applications.

Nice summary on the first post, btw.

OklahomaTuba
12/13/2007, 09:42 AM
I wonder what the educational & travel requirements are?

Mjcpr
12/13/2007, 10:21 AM
Sumlin to Houston according to "source" (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3153106)

:mad: I'm pretty sure he's one of our best recruiters.

Texas
12/13/2007, 10:28 AM
At least he didn't go to aggy to become their OC!

nmsoonergirl
12/13/2007, 10:56 AM
I actually came to the football board today hoping for a thread about coaching changes....I really like it when people come together to fulfill my needs! Spek to everyone.

Desert Sapper
12/13/2007, 11:17 AM
Losing Sumlin may hurt us big if we don't snag a great WR coach soon (somebody that will get Owens and Jones excited about OU).

colleyvillesooner
12/13/2007, 11:17 AM
DO we think any other coaches go with Sumlin to Houston?

snp
12/13/2007, 11:56 AM
Sumlin to Houston according to "source" (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3153106)

:mad: I'm pretty sure he's one of our best recruiters.

Confirmed. Congrats Sumlin.

colleyvillesooner
12/13/2007, 11:57 AM
OK, now I know it's for real. You confirmed it. ;)

snp
12/13/2007, 01:31 PM
ESPN has been known to mess up a few coaching changes this off season.

I know the answer to your other question but now I don't know if I feel like answering it ;) (A GA will most likely be following Sumlin there)

TopDawg
12/13/2007, 04:29 PM
Houston's scheduled the press conference for tomorrow...that's good enough for me.

Northern Illinois also made their hire and we're now tracking OU's assistant coaching positions.

snp
12/13/2007, 05:05 PM
Colorado State hired Steve Fairchild from the Bills

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071213/OPINION01/712130352

SoonerStormchaser
12/13/2007, 05:12 PM
Didn't Northern Illinois get some guy named "Kill" for their coach?

TopDawg
12/13/2007, 06:13 PM
CSU and NIU were both already updated.

I've also added new info to Duke and UCLA.

TopDawg
12/14/2007, 10:45 AM
Word on the street is that Cutcliffe has been offered the Duke position.

TopDawg
12/14/2007, 01:25 PM
Word out of Cutcliffe's mouth is that he hasn't.

Atlanta Falcons OC Hue Jackson has also interviewed.

Sooner70
12/15/2007, 11:26 AM
The press & radio in Houston is elated to have Sumlin coming to coach UH. There was a lot of emotional attachment to maybe having Pardee back, but this Sumlin thing is really being accepted positively here. Hope it doesn't put too big a dent in OU's Houston area recruiting.

A lot of other schools seem to be firing coaches & assistants, but Stoops keeps developing & promoting his assistants to the head coaching ranks. Speaks well of this development & allows OU to attract top coaching talent. Stoops ain't gonna hold back anybody that's ready & deserving. The turnover has got to drive him nuts sometimes, because of the challenge of continuity. Surely, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages in sending so many good assistants onward & upward.

snp
12/15/2007, 01:28 PM
A lot of other schools seem to be firing coaches & assistants, but Stoops keeps developing & promoting his assistants to the head coaching ranks. Speaks well of this development & allows OU to attract top coaching talent. Stoops ain't gonna hold back anybody that's ready & deserving. The turnover has got to drive him nuts sometimes, because of the challenge of continuity. Surely, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages in sending so many good assistants onward & upward.

I agree. It must look very promising to any assistant coach that Stoops has put more assistants into D1 than any other coach during his tenure. Not only do you have to recruit top quality players, but top quality coaches as well.

yermom
12/16/2007, 04:24 PM
Michigan
Old Coach - Lloyd Carr (retired after 13 seasons)
New Coach -
Rumored leading candidate: Brian Kelly (Cincinnati HC)
Others: Ron English (Michigan DC), Mike DeBord (Michigan OC), Les Miles? (LSU HC)

heh.

Desert Sapper
12/16/2007, 05:36 PM
Michigan hired Rich Rod. That could help us out a little.

TopDawg
12/17/2007, 12:36 PM
Finally updated! Michigan, UCLA, WVU

TUSooner
12/18/2007, 10:56 AM
BUMP

TopDawg
12/18/2007, 12:22 PM
heh.

If you're hehing the fact that RichRo wasn't on the list...that's what I was thinking too. I heard his name in the very, VERY early stages of the search, but I don't think I had started this thread by that time and never heard his name mentioned in conjunction with that job again until the announcement. Even if I would've put his name up there in the beginning, I probably would've taken it off in the process of updating it because I never heard it again.

I think it's a good hire for Mich. The good side is that our bowl opponent will have a new HC for the bowl game. The bad news is that we might see some very different stuff making it a little harder to prepare. I think we'll be okay.

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but it seems like there are a whole lot more bowl teams with new coaches than in recent history.

Michigan, West Virginia, Southern Miss, Houston, UCLA, Georgia Tech, Navy, Arkansas, A&M...

If Tulsa's coach goes to WVU, that's another one on the list. Boise State's coach's name is also being thrown around a little.

fadada1
12/18/2007, 12:36 PM
Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but it seems like there are a whole lot more bowl teams with new coaches than in recent history.

Michigan, West Virginia, Southern Miss, Houston, UCLA, Georgia Tech, Navy, Arkansas, A&M...

i think it more like a lot of big name programs have new coaches. it seems that there are many more traditional names than in previous years (again, mich, ark, a&m, wvu, ucla, etc...). just saying "more bowl teams have new coaches" is a bit misleading, as over half of D1 gets into a bowl.

get what you're saying, TD.

TopDawg
12/18/2007, 12:57 PM
i think it more like a lot of big name programs have new coaches. it seems that there are many more traditional names than in previous years (again, mich, ark, a&m, wvu, ucla, etc...). just saying "more bowl teams have new coaches" is a bit misleading, as over half of D1 gets into a bowl.

get what you're saying, TD.

Yeah, I noticed that too as I was typing those out. Some big traditionals out there.

But still, usually you don't have a lot of bowl-bound coaches retiring or being fired before their bowl...and that's happened a little this year too. They're not all just leaving for a better school. I guess some of that is due to earlier recruiting schedules (you need to get the new coach in earlier these days) and part of it due to the big name school thing you mentioned (bowl-bids alone aren't always good enough at those schools).

Desert Sapper
12/18/2007, 01:09 PM
I though Carr was coaching Meatchicken through their Capital One Bowl?

Rogue
12/18/2007, 05:01 PM
I'm surprised at RichRo going to Ann Arbor. Didn't he turn down 'Bama last year?

In other news, Terry Bowden wants the WVU gig (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AhgKXf84YMJv89MVUL54VjIcvrYF?slug=ys-bowden121707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

JohnnyMack
12/19/2007, 02:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3161587

Neuheisel has 2nd interview with UCLA.

Collier11
12/19/2007, 02:44 PM
I'm surprised at RichRo going to Ann Arbor. Didn't he turn down 'Bama last year?

In other news, Terry Bowden wants the WVU gig (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AhgKXf84YMJv89MVUL54VjIcvrYF?slug=ys-bowden121707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

IMO, if he can stay clean this would be a GREAT hire for WVU!

When I say clean, I mean out of controversy and not being boozed up!

Collier11
12/19/2007, 02:45 PM
Didn't Northern Illinois get some guy named "Kill" for their coach?

yea, the guy that took Southern Illinois to the 1AA title game this year

TopDawg
12/19/2007, 02:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3161587

Neuheisel has 2nd interview with UCLA.

Your timing is uncanny. Not can-like at all.

Updated UCLA, WVU and SMU.

JohnnyMack
12/19/2007, 02:52 PM
Your timing is uncanny. Not can-like at all.

Updated UCLA, WVU and SMU.

Time stamp says I win by 2 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!

Woot!!!!!!!!!!

TopDawg
12/19/2007, 02:54 PM
I think I typed in the Neuheisel thing four minutes before I finished the editing. I was updating the other schools after that.

Yeah, that's it.

sooneron
12/19/2007, 10:01 PM
W in TF? Is ucla doing interviewing Neuweasel?? Are they that retarded out there? That conference may as well set up the bat signal for Miles Brand with what's going on at suc, Erickson at asu and Neuheisel interviewing at westwood!

Crucifax Autumn
12/20/2007, 03:31 AM
The only coach change I really wanna see is the entirity of them voting reallistacally instead of opportunistically in the USA Today Coaches' Poll!

Collier11
12/20/2007, 12:30 PM
W in TF? Is ucla doing interviewing Neuweasel?? Are they that retarded out there? That conference may as well set up the bat signal for Miles Brand with what's going on at suc, Erickson at asu and Neuheisel interviewing at westwood!

I thought RN was cleared in that march madness betting scandal and it was ruled that he was wrongly fired?

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2007, 02:14 AM
Blah....He was wrongly born!

GottaHavePride
12/29/2007, 07:01 PM
Neuheisel to UCLA: official (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3172713)

TopDawg
12/30/2007, 12:29 AM
Updated.

Anybody hear who we're looking at to replace Sumlin? I haven't really been paying attention to that one lately.

bluedogok
1/6/2008, 04:16 PM
June Jones interviewing at SMU (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-smu-junejones&prov=ap&type=lgns). One report had him resigning at Hawaii over athletic department issues. Looks like SMU may be ready to join I-A football after all of the years since the death penalty fielding a I-AA team.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/6/2008, 09:39 PM
Did Stewart get the WVU gig?

bluedogok
1/6/2008, 10:01 PM
Yes, the next day.

snp
1/6/2008, 10:47 PM
There will be a GA vacancy as well since Zac Spavital left with Sumlin.

TopDawg
1/7/2008, 12:39 AM
Updated.

TopDawg
1/7/2008, 06:03 PM
June in at SMU, Hawaii now searching

TheHumanAlphabet
1/7/2008, 06:08 PM
So what was the deal with June Jones, why leave Hawai'i? I thought he had a good deal there and a responsive AD.

TopDawg
1/7/2008, 06:14 PM
So what was the deal with June Jones, why leave Hawai'i? I thought he had a good deal there and a responsive AD.

Pretty good pay raise, and a huge step up in regards to facilities and support.

I think the AD at Hawaii was really emotionally supportive because they knew emotional support was about all they could afford and they were lucky to have Jones. SMU was willing to pour out some more financial support and there's really nowhere to go but up, there. Plus, he's in the middle of a recruiting hotbed.

On the other hand...living in Dallas can't compare to living in Hawaii. Plus, Hawaii seems to be a pretty great place to be a coach. Their expectations aren't incredibly high, so it's probably low-pressure...but they'll whole-heartedly support a winner.

Bottom line: it's all about the bottom line.

yermom
1/7/2008, 06:28 PM
Hawai'i must have some crappy facilities...

he's from Texas though, isn't he? i can't imagine too many reasons to leave Oahu for Dallas

TopDawg
1/7/2008, 06:31 PM
I don't know about him being from Texas. Could be.

I was surprised, but I kept on hearing it all year about how bad their facilities are. And his recruiting budget kept him tied down to the islands. I heard several times that he never visited the mainland on a recruiting trip.

Of course if I was the HC at Hawaii and I wanted to impress a kid, I'd bring him to campus instead of going to visit him.

yermom
1/7/2008, 06:56 PM
i guess he's not from Texas but has coached in Texas a bit, i'm not sure where i heard the Texas thing before. i might have been confusing him with someone else

bluedogok
1/7/2008, 10:09 PM
He was the Wide Receivers coach for the USFL Houston Gamblers with Jack Pardee in 1984. He was the QB coach with the Houston Oilers in 1987-88 with Jerry Glanville and again with the Atlanta Falcons (1991-93) then was the Head Coach of the Falcons after they fired Glanville (1994-96).

I read an article where he said he had the exact same office that Dick Tomey had when he was the HC at Hawaii (1977-86) when he was a player and then QB Coach, that was BEFORE Tomey went to Arizona (1987-2000).

TopDawg
1/18/2008, 12:34 PM
Updated the Sooner hire. Norvell will be co-OC.

TopDawg
1/18/2008, 01:16 PM
Oh, and also Hawaii has filled their spot. Looks like that's all, folks.

Scott D
1/18/2008, 01:31 PM
Hawai'i must have some crappy facilities...

he's from Texas though, isn't he? i can't imagine too many reasons to leave Oahu for Dallas

I can think of a lot of reasons to leave Oahu for well, anywhere in the Continental 48 :)

Crucifax Autumn
1/19/2008, 01:55 AM
Well, I'd have to say if he wanted to leave, even SMU is better than getting an analyst job for Fox or ESPN and looking like a retarded jackass every Saturday.

KantoSooner
1/19/2008, 02:34 AM
I can think of a lot of reasons to leave Oahu for well, anywhere in the Continental 48 :)

Great! There's this gig that just came open in Duluth. Congrats, it's all yours.

Scott D
1/19/2008, 11:47 AM
Great! There's this gig that just came open in Duluth. Congrats, it's all yours.

nah, I already left Oahu for Detroit by way of New Jersey and Norman. :)

BIG_IKE
1/19/2008, 01:28 PM
I left Oahu in 2005 after three great years