PDA

View Full Version : Hot Spots/Cool Bars down by the RiverWalk??????

sooner45
11/27/2007, 12:40 PM
We are staying at the LaQuinta on Blum street down by the Riverwalk (Hopefully this is a good Location) and I was just wondering what are some cool places to go to down there? Was looking for some cool bars/places, etc to watch the SEC game , go out afterwards, etc. Any ideas?? :cool:

OUMonster
11/27/2007, 01:52 PM
I'm no expert having been there once in the past couple years, but if it were me I'd just walk around the Riverwalk until seeing something that looks good. You'll have plenty of choices.

OUster
11/27/2007, 01:53 PM
I like Dick's on the Riverwalk, if I am on the Riverwalk. It is not as good as the original in Dallas. However, it is worth the visit. I am cigar and scotch kinda' guy. So, if I you are also and are downtown, visit Swigs. The best bar downtown, to me, hands down, is Club Cohiba...a hidden, but very well received bar in the basement of the Little Havana Hotel on Navarro Street. It is off the beaten path but anyone I take there ends up regular. Hope this helps. Several other bars around town, but if you are restricted to downtown, have at it.

soonerinabilene
11/27/2007, 01:55 PM
Howl at the Moon. Its by the Hard Rock. Best place on the Riverwalk, IMO. If you want a place to just chill and drink, Dirty Nellys at the bottom of the Hilton is a cool little Irish pub.

The Maestro
11/27/2007, 01:55 PM
Swig is correct. Dirty martinis will set you free!

Actually, the Riverwalk is overrated...a lot of bubble gum type places and overhyped. Nothing really other than Swig in the "cool" department.

texas bandman
11/27/2007, 01:57 PM
Howl at The Moon is a hoot! I try to go there at least once every trip to SA.

85sooners
11/27/2007, 02:35 PM
lets party!!

OU GENO
11/27/2007, 02:41 PM
We are at Homewood Suites on the riverwalk and James Hale & Jimbo will be doing thier radio remote at Dick's Last Resort 4-7pm friday. Grab a Tiger by the tail and Boomer Sooner!

sooneron
11/27/2007, 02:45 PM
I would think that Dick's would be good for catching some football and drinking a beer, but it's not real special.

kbsooner
11/27/2007, 02:47 PM
Any locals have recommendations for good non-chain restaurants not at the Riverwalk that may be worth checking out?

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2007, 02:54 PM
Any locals have recommendations for good non-chain restaurants not at the Riverwalk that may be worth checking out?
Good Time Charlies-BEST CFS around, excellent bugers, everything good
Blanco Cafe- Sloppy mexican food, very good.
Mi Tierra-touristy and a little overpriced, but good and has 24 hour bakery. In the mexican market.

thesnowbishop
11/27/2007, 05:55 PM
Good Time Charlies-BEST CFS around, excellent bugers, everything good
Blanco Cafe- Sloppy mexican food, very good.
Mi Tierra-touristy and a little overpriced, but good and has 24 hour bakery. In the mexican market.

I second these nominations although I haven't lived in SA for several years. Try the cabrito at Mi Tierra's--I can't seem to find any good goat here in Oklahoma. And I just love the blanco cafe.

I wish the Alaskan Palace was still around--talk about a legendary bar.

Also if they're still around I always liked:
milkshakes at Olmos Pharmacy
Rolando's super tacos
El Mi's on North St. Mary's for sloppy breakfast.
La Fogata has a nice setting for a few margaritas before your table is ready.
The Liberty Bar is just a cool place.

WestAustinSooner
11/27/2007, 09:26 PM
Went to college in SA, and go back frequently. So here's my recommendations:

Food:

La Fogata on Vance Jackson. Best Mexican food on the planet. Stiff Marg's.
Blanco Cafe on Blanco. Greasy, cheap and delicious.
Mi Tierra - good late night Mexican and is downtown. Try the cabrito.

Party (Riverwalk suggestions only):

Cohiba Club in Havana Club hotel. Just freaking cool.
Swig: Outdoors cocktails while people watching.
Comment on Dick's: very rowdy, rated "R", not a family place. But if you want to go get stewed and raise Cain, not a bad place to go. Food is pretty nasty.

En_Fuego
11/27/2007, 09:29 PM

En_Fuego
11/27/2007, 09:36 PM

PLaw
11/27/2007, 09:39 PM
Too many places on the Riverwalk - if you can't find one, then God help you. One place for breakfast off of the Riverwalk in the nearby King George district is the Guenther House cafe. It's somewhat historic - if the weather permits, then eat outside.

BOOMER

PLaw
11/27/2007, 09:43 PM
Went to college in SA, and go back frequently. So here's my recommendations:

Food:

La Fogata on Vance Jackson. Best Mexican food on the planet. Stiff Marg's.
Blanco Cafe on Blanco. Greasy, cheap and delicious.
Mi Tierra - good late night Mexican and is downtown. Try the cabrito.

Party (Riverwalk suggestions only):

Cohiba Club in Havana Club hotel. Just freaking cool.
Swig: Outdoors cocktails while people watching.
Comment on Dick's: very rowdy, rated "R", not a family place. But if you want to go get stewed and raise Cain, not a bad place to go. Food is pretty nasty.

Ditto on La Fogata - ate there many years ago with an ex-girlfriends family.

BOOMER

soonerinabilene
11/27/2007, 11:29 PM
There is a german deli called Schilo's that has homemade root beer and cheesecake. It is freakin awesome food. Not a cool place to hang out at, but if you want good food at a pretty low price, I highly recommend it. ALSO, COYOTE UGLY IS THE MOST OVERRATED THING THIS SIDE OF THE WORLD'S MOST POWERFUL OFFENSE.

texas bandman
11/27/2007, 11:39 PM
Mi Tierra's good, but I like Pico Di Gallo better. It's owned by the same people, but is less touristy and cheaper. It's just across the highway from Market Square. The cabrito is great.

snp
11/27/2007, 11:55 PM
Another vote for Howl at the Moon. It's a dueling piano bar so if that's your thing, you'll have a blast. Nice patio as well and San Antonio shouldn't be that bad even at night.

Also for food, I recommend driving around until you see a hole in the wall joint and go there. Preferably somewhere where you won't get shanked but who knows, the food might be worth it.