PDA

View Full Version : uh...oh.... Vanables to Arkansas?

landrun
11/27/2007, 09:50 AM
Rival's Arkansas site has Venables on their front page.

Say what you want, but I don't want to lose him. He's an outstanding recruiter! :(

85sooners
11/27/2007, 09:57 AM
:eek:

KRYPTON
11/27/2007, 09:58 AM
Houston Nutt:
1. Lots of yelling in a barking fashion
2. Lots of gesticulating
3. Exaggerated facial expressions

Brent Venables
1. Lots of yelling in a barking fashion
2. Lots of gesticulating
3. Exaggerated facial expressions

DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111ELEVENTY

Boomer.....
11/27/2007, 09:58 AM
It's been a long time coming. He will be a head coach before too long.

SoonerGM
11/27/2007, 10:06 AM
you know, this could end up being one of those "be careful what you wish for" situations. if whoever replaces venables(when that happens) ends up being completly incompetant, then i have faith that Bob will intervene and take over a bit. the recruiting doesnt bother me too much, imo, good coaching > good recruiting.

sooneron
11/27/2007, 10:13 AM
good coaching > good recruiting.
Well, according to posters here, we'll be fine, b/c BV can't coach for ****.

We were due to lose a coach to a HC job. It will be interesting if BV takes the offer. Tough place to win with consistency. You have aub and lsu in your division. It's like taking the atm job, but in an even more more hillbilly setting. It's also a program that could get you noticed. On the bright side, he gets to play aggy in that sweet JJ stadium in D. Brent is a very good recruiter, we'll miss him.

The Maestro
11/27/2007, 10:14 AM
I wonder who would replace him...is it too late to steal Pelini back from Lester? :)

bmjlr
11/27/2007, 10:22 AM
I wonder who would replace him...is it too late to steal Pelini back from Lester? :)

Why would you want Pelini? He was horrible when he was here, and the "best defense in the nation" in LSU has continued to get throttled. I don't see the love affair with him. He is overrated. IMHO

sooneron
11/27/2007, 10:22 AM
He sucks too! Don't you listen to people around here? Sheeh!:rolleyes:

GOWWDNS was all his and Mark Bradley's fault.

SoonerGM
11/27/2007, 10:26 AM
Why would you want Pelini? He was horrible when he was here, and the "best defense in the nation" in LSU has continued to get throttled. I don't see the love affair with him. He is overrated. IMHO

i already posted the statistic in a thread a few weeks ago, but the defense has been worse without him. and deffinatly better than this year. and look how many top rated recruits we have on the field this season.

yermom
11/27/2007, 10:27 AM
:eek:

the only problem with that is that Pelini probably wouldn't be around for very long

The Maestro
11/27/2007, 10:32 AM
While I realize LSU's defense has suffered some in the latter part of the year, I know a big part of that is Dorsey's injury and then that white safety of theirs was hurt against Arkansas.

At least Pelini attacks...that is what I like.

It's hard to be really good at defense these days against the high powered offenses...I just want someone who attacks and doesn't wait to be attacked. Find "that guy".

soonerinabilene
11/27/2007, 10:34 AM
introducing as OUr new defensive coordinator......Dennis Franchione!!!!

(runs and hides):texan:

badger
11/27/2007, 10:46 AM
introducing as OUr new defensive coordinator......Dennis Franchione!!!!
NOOOOOO! (http://darthno.ytmnd.com/)

sooner-n-ga
11/27/2007, 10:53 AM
as the new DC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blues1
11/27/2007, 10:56 AM
More Likely Mark Stoops....!

David Earl
11/27/2007, 10:58 AM
Mark Stoops, you people.

tru2ou
11/27/2007, 10:58 AM
If Mike Stoops loses the final game to ASU, he may be doomed. I wonder if he would come back with Mark Stoops as co-coordinators while he was waiting on another HC job.

- Tru

David Earl
11/27/2007, 10:59 AM

You ninny! I said it first, you just clicked first. :mad:

yermom
that would be cold to take him just as AZ starts winning a few games

85sooners
lets get a blitzing SOB

astro5169
11/27/2007, 11:04 AM
Mike Stoops should be loking for a job. I would also like to officially put Mr. Roberts name in. He is looking for a job....

achiro
11/27/2007, 11:10 AM
Pelini's only issue here was that he was "co-managing" the defense. He had a great D at Nebraska and a pretty darn good one now at LSU. He won't be offered nor would he take a position at OU right now as an assistant...there are to many good HC jobs open right now.

Desert Sapper
11/27/2007, 11:22 AM
I thought the job belonged to BJW as co-DC??

Heh.

stoopified
11/27/2007, 11:24 AM
I don't think Bob would take Mark as he knows how badly Mike needs him.If we need a new DC we will have many candidates to choose from.Mike on the other hand,not so many due to shaky nature of his regime at Arizona.

SoonerMom2
11/27/2007, 11:28 AM

Exactly! I have been thinking for sometime he would be a good fit here!

85Sooner
11/27/2007, 11:28 AM
I don't think they would go for him. Too young and defenses have not been overly dominant

yermom
11/27/2007, 11:32 AM
his defenses may have taken a few games off, but i wouldn't say they haven't been good, or even great at times

there are probably over 100 programs that would trade us defenses

Jeopardude
11/27/2007, 11:34 AM
They can have Vanables as long as they leave Brent Venables here. :D

cheezyq
11/27/2007, 11:41 AM
Re: Mark Stoops

I seriously doubt Bob would go behind Mike's back and steal Mark from him. Especially since it's easier to get a good DC to come to OU than to go to Arizona.

Re: Brent leaving

I've not been a fan of Brent's game planning/game management since the day he took over the entire defense. But to say that we would be better off without him is just not correct. He's a great recruiter, and is one of the best position teachers in the country. There's a reason why we consistently have LBs and DEs competing for awards every year, and it's not just because we recruit well.

Funky G
11/27/2007, 11:53 AM
John Blake! succs

aurorasooner
11/27/2007, 11:53 AM
his defenses may have taken a few games off, but i wouldn't say they haven't been good, or even great at times

there are probably over 100 programs that would trade us defenses I agree, and I don't like the soft zone from our DBs but I'm not sure BV has much say-so with that since Bob's supposedly coaching our DBs with BJW. I don't know if Arkansas is ready for BV or if BV is ready for Arkansas, but I tell you one thing, if BV goes to Arkansas and that Aggie/Pig game in the Jerrydome gets finalized, the pigs will be a force to be dealt with in recruiting the north Texas area in the next several years. Also, I don't know what Todd Graham's contract/situation is over at Tulsa, but if Tulsa didn't lock him in I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the 1st look. Then Malzahn would be the OC in Arkansas, like Nutt apparently promised him in the 1st place.
Also, I'm worried as hell about our defense come Saturday, because if BV has actually been offered and has accepted the Arkansas job, if you remember the 1998 KSU/aTm Big 12 championship game in San Antonio under similar circumstances aTm was way overmatched and ended up winning the Big 12 championship. Puddy fans to this day still blame M.Stoops/BV/and Mangino for them coughing up that one. With Sumlin rumored to be in for the aTm OC, BV to Arkansas, with him possibly taking some staff with him, there could be a huge shake-up in our coaching staff next year. The good news is that our cupboard will not empty next year and the rebuilding year is year after next.

Sooner in Tampa
11/27/2007, 12:03 PM
Mike Leach is a very hot name on Arkansas messages boards

Re: Possible replacements for Nutt?

Just heard Donnan of ESPN news say it looks like Leach from Texas Tech is a strong possibility for Arkansas.

Curly Bill
11/27/2007, 12:12 PM
Let me say I don't think Venables is the worst D-coordinator in the world by far, and I know who we get to replace him could rank even lower, but that being said: I would not mind it at all if he were to get a HC job and leave.

Curly Bill
11/27/2007, 12:14 PM
lets get a blitzing SOB

Yes!

aurorasooner
11/27/2007, 12:14 PM
Mike Leach is a very hot name on Arkansas messages boards Could Leach do any better in winning a championship in the SEC than he's done in the Big 12? The biggest bitch I've seen posted from Arkie fans is that Nutt-job couldn't win the SEC. I think Leach would be *&^%ing nutz to head to Arkansas unless he gets a boatload of cash. This is one of the wildest years I've ever seen for coaching speculation. They'll definitely be some serious hate in that Arkansas/Mississippi game next year which is in Arkansas. That will be a nasty one with Ole Miss coming to Fayetteville.

bstuff1979
11/27/2007, 12:22 PM
IF, and that's a huge IF, Venables leaves for Arkansas (and, with the upcoming Ark. sched's and the talent that's leaving...I think I'd hold off on that specific job), I'd like to see Stoops go after Ed Orgeron. YAYAYAYA...foobaw. I don't, really really really don't, want to see Venables leave. The cover 2 zone that they run a good deal at OU looks bad when the qb gets time, but I'm pretty sure that this OU D is the best since '01 and possibly the country's best. I say, lemsday.

DrZaius
11/27/2007, 12:30 PM
I think that if GT does not hire him as their HC Jon Tenuta would be a great fit at OU....

He has done a great defensive job with GT

Johnny Utah
11/27/2007, 01:19 PM
Orgeron or Tenuta ... now you're talkin! From the GT website:
"Now in his sixth season as Georgia Tech's defensive coordinator, Jon Tenuta has brought to the Rambling Wreck an aggressive, attacking scheme, forged in his 26 years of experience as a defensive coach."
Tenuta has 3 sons, one of which is a senior in HS ... if the other 2 are a few years younger it might make a move for anything less than a HC job difficult.

snp
11/27/2007, 01:28 PM
I think Venerables is a great DC for us. But if he did leave, I wouldn't mind seeing Phil Bennett or Dan McCartney getting a look.

I think that if GT does not hire him as their HC Jon Tenuta would be a great fit at OU....

He has done a great defensive job with GT

Tenuta lives and dies by the blitz. I've read that he's had difficulty with spread teams because of this. Not what you want in the Big 12. But he is a top notch DC.

RacerX
11/27/2007, 01:35 PM
GOWWDNS was all his and Mark Bradley's fault.

;)

Johnny Utah
11/27/2007, 01:36 PM
Tenuta lives and dies by the blitz. I've read that he's had difficulty with spread teams because of this. Not what you want in the Big 12. But he is a top notch DC.[/QUOTE]

Interesting point ... do you see the spread offense as the (forseeable) future of the Big 12? Living in Atlanta I don't get to see too many Big 12 games.

snp
11/27/2007, 07:35 PM
Interesting point ... do you see the spread offense as the (forseeable) future of the Big 12? Living in Atlanta I don't get to see too many Big 12 games.

Yea with the current coaches in place I think that's a safe bet. The Big 12 is becoming the PAC 10.

tommieharris91
11/27/2007, 07:56 PM
Off the top of my head, teams in the Big 12 that run spread offenses:

Texas Tech
Baylor (may change)
Missouri
Ok State
Texas

And who knows what kind of offense ATM and Neb are gonna run.

Charla
11/27/2007, 08:32 PM
I think we are past due for a few changes on defense. We gave up over 400 yards against Baylor and over 500 against Tech. OSUx would have had quite afew more than the 350 or so that they had if they would have gotten the ball to the open receiver at times. I think Sherri Coales teaches the importance of solid defense more than Brent V. We haven't looked the same on "D" since LIL bro went to Zona. We won't win #8 until we rank at least in the top 5 of all defensive catagories. Offense is fun to watch and will win alot of games but it is still defense that wins championships. Bend but don't break, Gimme a break.

PLaw
11/27/2007, 08:46 PM

I've got a $1 bill that says Bo is the leading candidate for the Husker job.

BOOMER

PLaw
11/27/2007, 08:50 PM
Rival's Arkansas site has Venables on their front page.

Say what you want, but I don't want to lose him. He's an outstanding recruiter! :(

I think we need to be more worried about losing Sumlin to the gaggies as their new OC. Relationship with Sherman and previous eATMe ties.

Talking about a recruiting nightmare - Venables and Sumlin at the same time.

Oh well, Bob will show a stiff upper lip and weather through it with the confidence and enthusiasm we have grown accustomed to the past nine years.

BOOMER

meoveryouxinfinity
11/27/2007, 08:55 PM
Sam almost decommitted when he found out Chuck Long was leaving, but Bob reassured him and he, obviously, ended up signing his LOI.

MojoRisen
11/27/2007, 09:07 PM
Glanville for DC

snp
11/27/2007, 09:32 PM
Off the top of my head, teams in the Big 12 that run spread offenses:

Texas Tech
Baylor (may change)
Missouri
Ok State
Texas

And who knows what kind of offense ATM and Neb are gonna run.

Colorado and Kansas State too. I'm not sure what Chizik will do next year with that offense or the other vacated coaching spots, obviously.

yoseph
11/27/2007, 09:40 PM
i love venables andi hate to lose him but ur right he would leave eventually....and if Mark Stoops wants to head in his 2 brothers footsteps he should come to OU....or if Mike gets fired...hes definetley gonna come back or take a year off and come back

Crimsontothecore
11/27/2007, 10:13 PM
I knew venables would become a hot commodity after his defense held "The worlds greatest offense" to 17 points:rolleyes:

Desert Sapper
11/28/2007, 07:44 AM
I think we are past due for a few changes on defense. We gave up over 400 yards against Baylor and over 500 against Tech. OSUx would have had quite afew more than the 350 or so that they had if they would have gotten the ball to the open receiver at times. I think Sherri Coales teaches the importance of solid defense more than Brent V. We haven't looked the same on "D" since LIL bro went to Zona. We won't win #8 until we rank at least in the top 5 of all defensive catagories. Offense is fun to watch and will win alot of games but it is still defense that wins championships. Bend but don't break, Gimme a break.

We didn't give up over 500 yards against Tech. We gave up 473. Considering they average over 540 ypg, that's not terrible. Considering the only game they lost in Lubbock was to Colorado by 5 points and we lost Sam in the first quarter, I'd say it's not as bad as it sounds. OUr D was on the field for the majority of the game.

Sherri Coales is teh awesome.

We're not getting a Stoops brother, regardless.

The only two times in the Stoops era we ranked in the Top 5 of the only defensive category that matters (scoring D) was in 2001 and 2003. If memory serves, we didn't win a MNC those years. Seeing the kind of offenses we see weekly in the Big XII, it's pretty hard to rank anywhere in the passing D category. Our run D is among the best at #7. This year we have the #10 scoring D in the country coming into this game.

D has not been the major problem in the games we have lost (or come close to losing). In fact, our D is one of the biggest reasons we have won 10 games for the 30th time in our history (the most 10-win seasons of any team in NCAA history). It has been erratic at times, but given how many underclassmen and 1st year starters we have this year, it's pretty amazing that we are this good on D.

birddog
11/28/2007, 08:04 AM
sherri coale can coach too.

Desert Sapper
11/28/2007, 08:11 AM
sherri coale can coach too.

But Sherri Coales is teh Calvin Simpson of teh wimmins.;)

birddog
11/28/2007, 08:25 AM
cept calvin might have bigger fun bags.

sooneron
11/28/2007, 09:18 AM
The cover 2 zone that they run a good deal at OU looks bad when the qb gets time, but I'm pretty sure that this OU D is the best since '01 and possibly the country's best. I say, lemsday.
:confused:

NO way. 03 is easily light years better than this year's and 02 was pretty solid, with the exception of the 2 aggy breakdowns.

Desert Sapper
11/28/2007, 09:42 AM
:confused:

NO way. 03 is easily light years better than this year's and 02 was pretty solid, with the exception of the 2 aggy breakdowns.

Hopefully you are wrong, and this year's team won't get beat worse than 35-7 in the CCG (by a team that's light years better than the team the '03 team lost to in the CCG).:eek:

sooneron
11/28/2007, 10:06 AM
Hopefully you are wrong, and this year's team won't get beat worse than 35-7 in the CCG (by a team that's light years better than the team the '03 team lost to in the CCG).:eek:
Extenuating circumstances in 03...

i hope

MextheBulldog
11/28/2007, 10:40 AM
I've got a $1 bill that says Bo is the leading candidate for the Husker job. BOOMER

Hearing the same thing in my circles. Pelini is most likely going to Nebbish. Arky wants a big name - Leach is a strong possibility, and look out for a possible surprise guest from within the SEC. Lester is most likely wearing Big Blue soon.

Venables is not going anywhere as a HC, yet.

85sooners
11/28/2007, 11:01 AM
i heard buddy ryan was lurking around norman:eek:

Ground_Attack
11/28/2007, 11:29 AM
cept calvin might have bigger fun bags.

But Sherrie's look better

cvsooner
11/28/2007, 12:30 PM
This whole thread is along the lines of the distraction of Mike Stoops leaving before the KSU game in 2003, I think. Knock it off, already.

Animal Mother
11/28/2007, 12:34 PM
This whole thread is along the lines of the distraction of Mike Stoops leaving before the KSU game in 2003, I think. Knock it off, already.

Correct because we all know that when Venables gets a moment to relax, he hops on the internet to read football message boards. That’s certainly what I would do were I in his place.
Arh!! Humor!!!

humblesooner
11/28/2007, 02:24 PM
I've got a $1 bill that says Bo is the leading candidate for the Husker job.

BOOMER

If that $1 bill can really talk, I'd give ya' $100 for it. :D

Saueyman
11/28/2007, 02:25 PM
But Sherrie's look better
:D

Socrefbek
11/28/2007, 06:08 PM
If Venables leaves I hear Orgeron is available! :P

HopeSpringsEternal
11/28/2007, 08:05 PM
D has not been the major problem in the games we have lost (or come close to losing). In fact, our D is one of the biggest reasons we have won 10 games for the 30th time in our history (the most 10-win seasons of any team in NCAA history). It has been erratic at times, but given how many underclassmen and 1st year starters we have this year, it's pretty amazing that we are this good on D.

BWAAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Do you watch games or just play nintendo until ESPN comes on and starts yapping about the defensive "dominance" that OU has been enjoying for the last few years. If Arkansas wants Vanables good riddance.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/28/2007, 11:04 PM
I know the new Arkansas A.D. has OU ties and all, but I think BV taking over the Hogs is, at best, a longshot. His top two targets at the moment are Leach and Raiders coach/ex-USC asst. Lane Kiffin.

OU-HSV
11/28/2007, 11:09 PM
I know the new Arkansas A.D. has OU ties and all, but I think BV taking over the Hogs is, at best, a longshot. His top two targets at the moment are Leach and Raiders coach/ex-USC asst. Lane Kiffin.
Hey O, have you heard anything about Bill Cowher seen playing golf in Fayetville w/that new AD? I was talking to someone that lives in Arkansas and they said something about it. Maybe their just buddies and were out playing golf, or do you think he would be a candidate?

AllAboutThe'O'
11/28/2007, 11:14 PM
Hey O, have you heard anything about Bill Cowher seen playing golf in Fayetville w/that new AD? I was talking to someone that lives in Arkansas and they said something about it. Maybe their just buddies and were out playing golf, or do you think he would be a candidate?
Ha, ha, ha. That's a new one for me. I know Cowher's name has been mentioned but I don't see him going to Arkansas.

OU-HSV
11/28/2007, 11:15 PM
Ha, ha, ha. That's a new one for me. I know Cowher's name has been mentioned but I don't see him going to Arkansas.
I thought it was funny too. But he'd get the job done if so, I like Cowher's attitude.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/28/2007, 11:19 PM
I thought it was funny too. But he'd get the job done if so, I like Cowher's attitude.
All the Hog players would have to wear protective shields on their helmets to protect themselves from Cowher's spittle.:D

OU-HSV
11/28/2007, 11:23 PM
All the Hog players would have to wear protective shields on their helmets to protect themselves from Cowher's spittle.:D
Ha, no joke. It'd be like getting coached by old Lou Holtz.
I still think Lou does the voice for Tigger in the Winnie the Pooh shows. I keep telling my wife that every time my son watches a pooh movie

AllAboutThe'O'
11/28/2007, 11:25 PM
Ha, no joke. It'd be like getting coached by old Lou Holtz.
I still think Lou does the voice for Tigger in the Winnie the Pooh shows. I keep telling my wife that every time my son watches a pooh movie
You sure he wasn't voicing Eeyore instead? After all, he was like Eeyore in building up his opponents, a la Navy during Holtz's Notre Dame salad days.

OU-HSV
11/28/2007, 11:38 PM
Ha, very true

Curly Bill
11/28/2007, 11:39 PM
D has not been the major problem in the games we have lost (or come close to losing).

We did give up 27 points to TT in the first half. I kinda thought that was a major problem in the game.

snp
11/28/2007, 11:48 PM

Butch Davis is an Arkansas guy and a plane left from Charlotte to Fayetteville today. This is according to those plane stalker guys.

I don't see Kiffin, Leach, or Venerables as likely candidates. I think writers are just trying to throw names out there and hope they stick.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/28/2007, 11:57 PM
Butch Davis is an Arkansas guy and a plane left from Charlotte to Fayetteville today. This is according to those plane stalker guys.

I don't see Kiffin, Leach, or Venerables as likely candidates. I think writers are just trying to throw names out there and hope they stick.
Given a choice, most Razorback fans would prefer to land Butch.

Desert Sapper
12/1/2007, 01:13 PM
We did give up 27 points to TT in the first half. I kinda thought that was a major problem in the game.

The 7 points we held them to in the second half balanced that out, and if our QB had been awake in the first three quarters, it would have been enough.

SoonerBBall
12/1/2007, 01:56 PM
BWAAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Do you watch games or just play nintendo until ESPN comes on and starts yapping about the defensive "dominance" that OU has been enjoying for the last few years. If Arkansas wants Vanables good riddance.

I really wish an admin would tell these trolling, ******* n00bs good riddance.

colinreturn
12/1/2007, 03:25 PM
If Mike Stoops loses the final game to ASU, he may be doomed. I wonder if he would come back with Mark Stoops as co-coordinators while he was waiting on another HC job.

- Tru
theyre giving him another year.

wishbonesooner
12/1/2007, 03:29 PM
Well, I'm not a noob, and I've seen too many defensive meltdowns with the game on the line for my taste. Boise St.,Oregon, CU, USC. I know we can't lead the country in D every year, nor can we always have a Derrick Strait or a Roy Williams back there. Whether it's Venables or one of the position coaches, teams can move the ball up and down the field on us the last 3 or 4 years.

utex74
12/1/2007, 06:39 PM
On the bright side, he gets to play aggy in that sweet JJ stadium in D. Brent is a very good recruiter, we'll miss him.

He'll also get to visit Austin Next September. That's a good inducement right there!! ;)

SoonerBBall
12/1/2007, 07:06 PM
Well, I'm not a noob, and I've seen too many defensive meltdowns with the game on the line for my taste. Boise St.,Oregon, CU, USC. I know we can't lead the country in D every year, nor can we always have a Derrick Strait or a Roy Williams back there. Whether it's Venables or one of the position coaches, teams can move the ball up and down the field on us the last 3 or 4 years.

CU was a defesive meltdown? I guess we didn't watch the same game.

I'll give you USC, but that is about it. Also, I'd like to see you point out a team that consistently fields a defense like ours. There aren't very many. At some point you just have to accept that we can't have a NC level team every year, be it offensively, defensively, or both.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/1/2007, 07:10 PM
Also, I'd like to see you point out a team that consistently fields a defense like ours. There aren't very many. At some point you just have to accept that we can't have a NC level team every year, be it offensively, defensively, or both.

You stop being realistic! Shame on you!

SoonerBBall
12/1/2007, 07:19 PM
You stop being realistic! Shame on you!

What was I thinking. Damn me so hard.