PDA

View Full Version : WWCD? (What Would Cecil Do?)

Lott's Bandana
11/27/2007, 12:42 AM
Heard the Sooner Legends Inn and Suites commercial today...thought it was going to be the Superman one about TRRW but it wasn't. It was about Cecil.

Cecil Samara, OU's#1 Fan. Man I miss that guy and that bullhorn. Every game we would walk to the stadium from our house near the Mont and I would always have my Dad lead us down Brooks to where the red Model T was parked, right in front of the Stadium and Field House, blaring Boomer Sooner over and over and over and over...then during the game, I always made sure I listened for Cecil's bullhorn coming from about the 15 yard line, just below the students on the northeast side. His gravel voice scared the hell out of me but I still wanted to hear it. I remember hearing him in the background on the radio while Mike Treps called away games on the Sooner Network. Made me smile knowing Cecil was there.

I gotta think 'ole Cecil would be darn pleased with Joe C, Bob and the program right now.

How cool would it have been to hear Cecil on the Jtron, cracklin on his bullhorn, "There's only ONE Oklahoma!"

Cecil, R.I.P.

http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1196142445.jpg

76soonergrad
11/27/2007, 01:44 AM
I can still hear his gravelly voice, "Roll on Big Red Roll On! He was an institution. Anyone have a picture of him beck in the day?

Half a Hundred
11/27/2007, 01:46 AM
I can tell you one thing he wouldn't do... go around wearin' a freaking tail

Animal Mother
11/27/2007, 09:33 AM
Cecil. What a guy! I would see him in the 70s and mimic that gravely voice and he would crack up! I was around 20 then and if I do it now I can't speak for a week. My wife encourages me to do it IYKWIM.

OUmillenium
11/27/2007, 09:39 AM
Didn't know him but saw that car by O'Connels at nearly every game I have been to.

RIP

OKLA21FAN
11/27/2007, 09:39 AM
I can still hear his gravelly voice, "Roll on Big Red Roll On! He was an institution. Anyone have a picture of him beck in the day?
'Run, baby run!!!!'

good times

TUSooner
11/27/2007, 09:48 AM
Funny. I don't remember the voice so much, but I could never forget the car and the tiny trailer. And I remember my mom and dad telling me who he was and that he was the greatest Sooner fan ever (or something like that).
I miss him and Little Red, too.

douxpaysan
11/27/2007, 11:34 AM
Article mainly concerning the ruf/neks http://c1.zedo.com/jsc/c1/ff2.html?n=162;c=139/1;s=111;d=16;w=720;h=300;t=UndertoneNetworks.com%2 0-%20ESPN.COM

sooneron
11/27/2007, 11:36 AM
He always said hello to me before games. Great Sooner fan. He's smiling down at the team.

Jeopardude
11/27/2007, 11:44 AM
WWCD? He'd run up to weary players coming off the bus and scream at them with his bullhorn. He'd weasel out of paying doctor bills by pleading "it was for the Sooners."

I liked him fine, but his extreme passion had some drawbacks.

Sevaer
11/27/2007, 11:45 AM
I remember Cecil and I traveled to San Francisco back in the 80's to watch OU play Stanford. Wow, that was a great weekend and one I'll never forget. He was lots of fun and was like a celebrity. I remember eating out in Chinatown in San Francisco and young kids would come over to our table to get his autograph. He was a great OU fan!!!

Outopia
11/27/2007, 12:50 PM
I remember Cecil. He would park his little car over by the old field house (when they still allowed traffic there between the stadium and the old field house), and call to the fans as they walked by on his little bull-horn (Oklahoma Sooners number one, in that amazing voice). I remember my dad telling me who he was, and that he pulled the little trailer and car to the away games too. Good times, being a little kid then. I remember being sad when he died. He even had OU, in gold, on his front teeth. Everything seemed bigger than life in Norman in those days, to this little kid.

I thank my dad for raising me right, and geting me hooked on the Sooners at an early age. I went to school at OU, and Cecil was still around then. I wish now I had gone up to him and just shook his hand, but I was too "cool" to do that kind of thing then. What a shame. Good times indeed.