PDA

View Full Version : To all those arguing playoffs

Leroy Lizard
11/26/2007, 10:36 PM
Let's see if we can at least agree on some things. If we agree to the following and your whacked-out playoff idea violates one or more of them, then your whacked-out playoff idea is pointless.

I suggest we argue about the broader implications of a playoff, rather than some poster's half-baked personal plan.

Here goes:

1. Games shall not be played during the week of final exams.

Reason #1: Football players are students. They need to concentrate on final exams rather than on the upcoming playoff game.

Reason #2: College presidents will not support any playoff idea that violates this tenet. No votes, no playoff.

2. Games shall not be played on the week before final exams.

Reason #1: Football players are students. They need to concentrate on final exams rather than on the upcoming playoff game.

Reason #2: College presidents will not support any playoff idea that violates this tenet. No votes, no playoff.

3. Conference championship games shall not be eliminated.

Reason #1: Too many conferences have too much financial stake in a conference championship game. They will simply vote down any playoff plan that removes their bread and butter. No votes, no playoff.

Reason #2: Conference championship games are financially lucrative to weaker schools in the conference. A team like Colorado has a much better chance of playing in a conference championship game than in the national title game. Therefore such games provide realistic expectations for such schools.

4. Conferences shall not be required to host conference championship games.

Reason #1: The Pac-10 and the Big-10 do not favor conference championship games. No votes, no playoff.

Reason #2: Conferences should decide for themselves how they choose their champion.

5. Teams shall not be required to play in a conference.

Reason #1: The NCAA has no authority to force a team to play in a conference.

Reason #2: Conferences cannot be compelled to accept teams into a conference, even if the team wanted to join. Such an edict is unfair because it requires schools to take action for which the school has no authority to take.

6. Games shall not be played once the second semester begins.

Reason #1: Any playoff idea that has teams competing into the second semester impacts two semesters of academics, not just one. Football players, who are students, need to start their second semester on the right foot.

7. The number of regular season games shall not be reduced.

Reason #1: Teams make money on regular season games; the vast majority of teams will make very little money on the playoffs since they won't even be able to compete in them.

Reason #2: The shorter the season, the more advantage playoff teams gain in experience over the others. The winner of a 16-team playoff has played in four extra games. Reducing the number of games in the season to ten or 11 gives the playoff teams a huge advantage over the others. Players that compete in the national title game twice in a row will have gained an eight-game advantage in experience over the others, nearly a full season's worth.

Reason #3: Athletic directors will not go for any reduction in the length of the season. If anything, they want the season extended (to the chagrin of the college presidents). No votes, no playoffs.

8. The bye week shall not be eliminated.

Reason #1. Players use bye weeks to get caught up academically. They often use the week to take make-up exams for those missed on account of their sport.

Reason #2: Teams use bye weeks to overcome injuries.

Reason #3: Coaches will not support a playoff that removes the bye week.

Now, here are some really crappy responses:

1. "Well, it won't hurt the players' academically that much."

Response: We shouldn't support a playoff that hurts them at all. (And why should we?)

2. "Well, these are not really students, so who cares about academics?"

Response: The college presidents do, and they hold a lot of voting power in the NCAA.

3. "But the playoffs will generate so much money, and that is really what matters to college presidents."

Response: If such a reason really held true, we would have had a playoff a long time ago.

85sooners
11/26/2007, 10:38 PM
playoffs !!!

Curly Bill
11/26/2007, 10:46 PM
Damn it Leroy, quit stirring the pot! :D Despite what you say instituting a playoff system would just make the world a better place for all mankind. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 10:48 PM
It was just a few days ago I was asking where all the playoff threads went.....I m gonna neg myself

Stitch Face
11/26/2007, 10:51 PM
Can I get the

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2870/cliffnotesau8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

sooneron
11/26/2007, 10:51 PM
This needs to be a new thread because?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 10:52 PM
maybe they missed all the others..they are hard to see

Collier11
11/26/2007, 11:21 PM
he needed another lame thread for his usual lame posts where all of his arguments against a playoff can easily be refuted and have been in other threads!!

rainiersooner
11/26/2007, 11:58 PM
Dear Leroy:

Next time I need to hire a "problem solver," you're first on my list.

anti
11/27/2007, 12:08 AM
Don't D-II and D-III have playoff systems?

How did they get around the obstacles you've outlined?

Collier11
11/27/2007, 12:13 AM
Let's see if we can at least agree on some things. If we agree to the following and your whacked-out playoff idea violates one or more of them, then your whacked-out playoff idea is pointless.

I suggest we argue about the broader implications of a playoff, rather than some poster's half-baked personal plan.

Here goes:

1. Games shall not be played during the week of final exams.

Agreed but can be worked around
2. Games shall not be played on the week before final exams.

Agreed but can be worked around
3. Conference championship games shall not be eliminated.

Reason #1: Too many conferences have too much financial stake in a conference championship game. They will simply vote down any playoff plan that removes their bread and butter. No votes, no playoff.

Reason #2: Conference championship games are financially lucrative to weaker schools in the conference. A team like Colorado has a much better chance of playing in a conference championship game than in the national title game. Therefore such games provide realistic expectations for such schools.
Agreed and not a problem
4. Conferences shall not be required to host conference championship games.

Reason #1: The Pac-10 and the Big-10 do not favor conference championship games. No votes, no playoff.

Reason #2: Conferences should decide for themselves how they choose their champion.
This can be forced and should be, either all or none
5. Teams shall not be required to play in a conference.

Reason #1: The NCAA has no authority to force a team to play in a conference.

Reason #2: Conferences cannot be compelled to accept teams into a conference, even if the team wanted to join. Such an edict is unfair because it requires schools to take action for which the school has no authority to take.
Then teams without a conference will be left out of playoff or bcs scenarious from now til they join a conf...they still dont have to if they dont want to
6. Games shall not be played once the second semester begins.

Reason #1: Any playoff idea that has teams competing into the second semester impacts two semesters of academics, not just one. Football players, who are students, need to start their second semester on the right foot.

This is weak IMO but it doesnt even have to be a problem, the season with a playoff can still be played before January 15

7. The number of regular season games shall not be reduced.

Reason #1: Teams make money on regular season games; the vast majority of teams will make very little money on the playoffs since they won't even be able to compete in them.

Reason #2: The shorter the season, the more advantage playoff teams gain in experience over the others. The winner of a 16-team playoff has played in four extra games. Reducing the number of games in the season to ten or 11 gives the playoff teams a huge advantage over the others. Players that compete in the national title game twice in a row will have gained an eight-game advantage in experience over the others, nearly a full season's worth.

Reason #3: Athletic directors will not go for any reduction in the length of the season. If anything, they want the season extended (to the chagrin of the college presidents). No votes, no playoffs.

I love your generalizations, A playoff would be a money windfall. Who says AD's wouldnt reduce the season from 12 to 10 or 11, some teams are already playing 14 games a season

8. The bye week shall not be eliminated.

Reason #1. Players use bye weeks to get caught up academically. They often use the week to take make-up exams for those missed on account of their sport.

Reason #2: Teams use bye weeks to overcome injuries.

Reason #3: Coaches will not support a playoff that removes the bye week.
you dont have to eliminate bye weeks, but you also dont need 5-6 weeks between end of season and bowl game like it is now
Now, here are some really crappy responses:

1. "Well, it won't hurt the players' academically that much." No one I have ever heard that supports a playoff has said this, you assume so much without any facts to support your claims

Response: We shouldn't support a playoff that hurts them at all. (And why should we?)

2. "Well, these are not really students, so who cares about academics?"

Response: The college presidents do, and they hold a lot of voting power in the NCAA.
Never heard any playoff proponent say this crap either

3. "But the playoffs will generate so much money, and that is really what matters to college presidents."

Response: If such a reason really held true, we would have had a playoff a long time ago.
Lets see, what would generate more money, a quarterfinal match between texas and west virginia, a semifinal with usc and texas, and a final with usc and oklahoma, or 30 sh*tty bowls followed by 4 decent bowls. Some people argue that fans wouldnt travel, so we send 20k to tulsa but we wouldnt travel to playoff games? D2 schools can travel half way across the country for a playoff game but Ou fans wont? My highschool(town of 3 thousand) can send 2,000 to state quarters thur finals every game but an entire state can not send 20,000 to three playoff games? Most of your arguments make me think you are some liberal pansy professor who hates sports, you make very few if any valid points, and the good points you make have very little impact on anything in the scheme of things!!

Anything else, still waiting for good reasons?

Curly Bill
11/27/2007, 12:19 AM
Anything else, still waiting for good reasons?

Do you really think schools would agree to drop the number of games they play and the loss of revenue that would bring?

...and remember, most of these schools won't be in the playoffs to recoup that.

goingoneight
11/27/2007, 12:20 AM
Don't other sports have playoffs during finals week?

If so/not... I agree, studies come first in college. If you don't like it, go to the NFL ASAP or get over it.

My question (trying to be civil, but your "pointless" comment isn't exactly nonbiased):
How many other sports have playoffs/tournaments do determine their champion? No one who likes college football wants to take away from the 'every Saturday matters' mantra... that's what makes it special. And anyone who loves college football for what it is and what it could be does NOT support the playoff getting ridiculous like the stupid basketball one.

"Bowl eligible" does not = "National Championship caliber." We all know that and believe that. 6-6 Alabammer doesn't belong. But team A who goes 10-2 after a screwjob on the road may be the best in the country... you never know. They've certainly done their part by winning their conference title. Do we really want to keep voting teams in based on win-loss records? Seriously... a 13-0 team may be something to congratulate, but that does NOT guarantee a 14th win.

LittleWingSooner
11/27/2007, 12:21 AM
I just want the anti playoff guys to give me one good answer to this one. No one ever has.

If college football in div 1a is so right why does just about every other sport and every other level of football have a playoff?

Curly Bill
11/27/2007, 12:22 AM
...and since you're saying we can work around not playing the week of finals, and the week before finals...how in fact do we work around that? Do we take those two weeks off (and yeah I know about the down-time between the last reg season game and the bowls). What if schools have finals at different times?

Ash
11/27/2007, 12:24 AM
Gosh, how do any of the other sports stay viable with their playoffs?

Also, other student athletes play over two semesters, and the college athletic world has yet to implode.

Curly Bill
11/27/2007, 12:25 AM
I just want the anti playoff guys to give me one good answer to this one. No one ever has.

If college football in div 1a is so right why does just about every other sport and every other level of football have a playoff?

Someone tell me why everyone has to use the same system for determining their champion?

...and ultimately tell me: If a playoff system would be the magic cure-all that some of you believe why haven't we already gone to it?

Collier11
Do you really think schools would agree to drop the number of games they play and the loss of revenue that would bring?

...and remember, most of these schools won't be in the playoffs to recoup that.

If we still incorporated the other bowls for the teams that dont make the playoffs, yes IMHO! They would still get 10-12 games and if you are 1-9, why should you get more games?

Sooner_Havok
Who they hell made this guy green again???

yoseph
11/27/2007, 12:26 AM
u bring up a great point but im sure those smart guys at the NCAA(who took away our 2005 wins) will come up with a great system....thats y they make the big bucks!

Collier11
11/27/2007, 12:27 AM
...and since you're saying we can work around not playing the week before finals, and the week before finals...how in fact do we work around that? Do we take those two weeks off (and yeah I know about the down-time between the last reg season game and the bowls). What if schools have finals at different times?

That is for the AD's and school presidents but I gaurantee you it could be worked out/figured out! How do they get around midterms? How do they get around missing tests due to traveling? What about baseball players who are playing into June, what if they have summer school, they still figure it out! It can be done if a playoff was instituded, and trust me I am not trying to minimize the academic experience for the athletes, Im just saying it could be worked out!

Curly Bill
11/27/2007, 12:27 AM
If we still incorporated the other bowls for the teams that dont make the playoffs, yes IMHO! They would still get 10-12 games and if you are 1-9, why should you get more games?

What about the bad teams that don't make the playoffs or a bowl? Think they will agree to drop some of their games and the resultant loss in revenue?

edit...and it's not OK to say we don't care what they think...they'll have a vote too.

insuranceman_22
11/27/2007, 12:28 AM
Leroy - it's all about the money to the school.....not to us fans, not to the players, not to the coaches..to the school....Fans, players & coaches don't get to pick. I wish we could, I'd be in for a playoff system starting right now. Top 16, single elimination, 4 weeks and you've got an undisputed champion.

Collier11
Someone tell me why everyone has to use the same system for determining their champion?

...and ultimately tell me: If a playoff system would be the magic cure-all that some of you believe why haven't we already gone to it?

Tell me this,why do an overwhelming majority of coaches and players want a playoff??

ouwasp
I've always been in favor of playoffs. I hate it when some East Coast team loads up on the likes of Temple, Army, etc and becomes a media darling.

Plus, the presidents being against it strikes me of stuffed-shirted prissiness.

Collier11
11/27/2007, 12:29 AM
What about the bad teams that don't make the playoffs or a bowl? Think they will agree to drop some of their games and the resultant loss in revenue?

edit...and it's not OK to say we don't care what they think...they'll have a vote too.

If you are 0-10 or 4-6, that is your season...deal with it! Thats how it is in D2, D3, 1aa, highschool, etc...

Curly Bill
11/27/2007, 12:30 AM
Tell me this,why do an overwhelming majority of coaches and players want a playoff??

What exactly are the numbers on that?

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2007, 12:31 AM
There are a lot of new ideas never covered before in this thread.

Thanks all.

Curly Bill
11/27/2007, 12:32 AM
If you are 0-10 or 4-6, that is your season...deal with it! Thats how it is in D2, D3, 1aa, highschool, etc...

...but they will get a vote, just like OU will, just like saxet will, just like usc will, you think telling them to just deal with it will earn their approval on this playoff plan you want to implement?

Sooner_Havok
11/27/2007, 12:33 AM
There are a lot of new ideas never covered before in this thread.

Thanks all.

OK, I have had enough of this ****! SAS, STOP TRYING TO BE SO DAMN NICE! :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
11/27/2007, 12:36 AM
Have I said before that I don't give a carp either way...BCS or Playoff?

...yet here I am again taking the non-playoff side :confused:

I think it's just fun to argue with the playoff folks...just because they're so dang sure of themselves. :D

Collier11
11/27/2007, 12:37 AM
What exactly are the numbers on that?

http://www.collegeplayoffs.com/support.htm

Curly Bill
11/27/2007, 12:41 AM
http://www.collegeplayoffs.com/support.htm

So...those numbers are from collegeplayoffs.com? One wouldn't think they'd be biased either way. :D

Collier11
11/27/2007, 12:43 AM
I never said they wouldnt be biased, but it plainly shows numerous instances of school AD's, coaches, players, and students who want a playoff!

Collier11
11/27/2007, 12:45 AM
DId you also see the part about Nike offering up $105 million for a playoff!!! Thats just one company, wasnt there some billionaire last year or the year before offering to fund a playoff individually?!

Curly Bill
11/27/2007, 12:47 AM
My final thoughts on the college football playoff dealio: (and I'm for real, I'm quitting the playoff argument circuit...except for maybe an occasional jab)

#1 I really would not mind if they instituted a playoff
#2 I still think there would be complaints, gripes, arguments and so on...
#3 The small school presidents who will not benefit from a playoff system will
not vote for it.
#4 If we were going to see a playoff in D-1 football I think we would already
have seen it.
#5 If we are ever to see a playoff in D-1 football it is not just right around
the corner.

Curly Bill
11/27/2007, 12:49 AM
...One more thought:

Thanks Collier and you others who debated this in a fair and reasonable manner, and did so without resorting to insults and name-calling. Kind of seems like how this board should work.

Collier11
11/27/2007, 12:52 AM
Im with ya CB, im out after this! A playoff would upset some, there is always that #9 team that will be upset in a 8 team playoff or the #17 team in the 16 team playoff. Is that not better than teams 3 thru 10 being upset when they are all 11-1 or 10-2? People will never agree on missed class time although I dont see it as a big problem that cant be worked out. People will always argue dollars and cents even though I believe the playoff would make bookoos of money.

These people should be smart enough, either fix the damn BCS where it is alot more fair or get us a damn playoff where the game is decided on the field and not in the polls!! Peace out, H-Town!!

LittleWingSooner
11/27/2007, 01:00 AM
...and since you're saying we can work around not playing the week of finals, and the week before finals...how in fact do we work around that? Do we take those two weeks off (and yeah I know about the down-time between the last reg season game and the bowls). What if schools have finals at different times?

There's no school for about a month after finals week.

goingoneight
11/27/2007, 01:02 AM
The problem with the term 'playoff' is people thinking that #17 even belongs in the conversation.

You're seeded into a small playoff of the nation's best. Be it records or conference champs, however they choose to decide it. Too many folks disregard that on a great year, teams like Baylor and OSU can be ranked in the late teens. But what part of four losses spells National Titleist? Even on this messed up year, I'd still tend to think that someone with four losses has those four (or more) for a reason.

If one thinks playoff, think... SMALL playoff. None of this 64 team BS.

silverwheels
11/27/2007, 01:09 AM

I've said this numerous times: We've been moving towards a playoff since 1992. The Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance, and now the BCS have all been attempts to try and find a middle ground between a playoff and the bowl system.

It's happening, but sloooooooooooowly.

And it's not a "magic cure-all" and I don't know why you keep referring to it as such. No system is going to be perfect. As a playoff proponent, I just think it would be better.

76soonergrad
11/27/2007, 01:14 AM
One question I have the way different colleges design their year.

Some do semesters, others have a quarterly system. In the quarterly system, students end the 1st quarter before Thanksgiving and resume the second quarter Jan. 2. The scheduling conflicts with the traditional semeter one. (The fourth quarter is in the summer.)

Is that a potential problem?

Leroy Lizard
11/27/2007, 01:15 AM
Look, we are either going to institute playoff games during Finals Week, or not.

We are either going to schedule playoff games on the week before final exams, or not.

Do we, or don't we?

Forget all the talk about whether or not a playoff is viable.

Do we value academics enough to make Finals Week off-limits, yes or no?

LittleWingSooner
11/27/2007, 01:26 AM
Look, we are either going to institute playoff games during Finals Week, or not.

We are either going to schedule playoff games on the week before final exams, or not.

Do we, or don't we?

Forget all the talk about whether or not a playoff is viable.

Do we value academics enough to make Finals Week off-limits, yes or no?

Football players miss less class than any other sports. And it's not even close. An 8 team playoff takes 3 weeks at the most and after finals week the players get at least a full month off and probably a few more days than a month. I bet finals week is either this next week or the week after at OU. They won't be back in class till about Jan 15th or so.

Leroy Lizard
11/27/2007, 01:29 AM
LittleWing,

Do we, or don't we?

Vaevictis
11/27/2007, 02:19 AM
I don't know why such a bright line has to be drawn there.

Exams get rescheduled for university sanctioned events all the time. Why should final exams be inviolate?

EDIT: I'm not saying they shouldn't. But if it's okay to shuffle around regular exams and assignments for university sanctioned events, why not finals?

Leroy Lizard
11/27/2007, 02:24 AM
Exams get rescheduled for university sanctioned events all the time. Why should final exams be inviolate?

You plan on having students taking final exams while they're opening their Christmas presents?

Is football so important that we are considering moving final exams to a new date to accommodate a playoff?

By the way, at most schools final exams cannot be rescheduled without written permission from the Dean, even if the prof and student both agree to the change. They are about as close to inviolate as you are going to get.

So do we, or don't we?

Vaevictis
11/27/2007, 02:35 AM
You plan on having students taking final exams while they're opening their Christmas presents?

I don't have a problem with that, really. I work all through my Christmas, Thanksgiving, Spring and Summer breaks. If it's part of the job description to do something, I can always turn the job down. So can athletes.

Is football so important that we are considering moving final exams to a new date to accommodate a playoff?

Frankly, I don't care what date final exams are given. It makes no difference to me.

By the way, at most schools final exams cannot be rescheduled without written permission from the Dean, even if the prof and student both agree to the change. They are about as close to inviolate as you are going to get.

I'm sure that if you go back far enough, that same attitude applied to normal exams at many or most schools. From my point of view, if it's okay to move normal exams around, it's no sin to move finals either.

So do we, or don't we?

I don't care. It makes no difference to me. I'm not saying that we should or shouldn't do it.

Mostly, I just think it's stupid to say it's okay to move normal exams around, but not finals.

Crucifax Autumn
11/27/2007, 02:36 AM
My personal opinion is that the only viable playoff would occur after the current system, minus the national championship game, with the winners of the BCS bowls taking part in a 4 game playoff. If said playoff has to begin 2 weeks after the BCS bowls, then have a layoff...or 3 weeks if we have to wait that long. Who cares about semesters when it comes to sports? Basketball is already started and unless I'm totally retarded I think MARCH is in the second semester! And there are a hell of a lot more basketball games than football so I think the missed class time and study time leaves no comparison.

We don't have to concede to a 50 team playoff, but a simple one would be nice and allow for the season as a whole having meaning, the BCS bowls having major importance, and a playoff of 4 teams allowing less chance of a fluke while also allowing the actual champion to be determined on the field.

Collier11
11/27/2007, 02:39 AM

So do we, or don't we?

blah blah blah, gibbity gabbity goo! Ok Dr. so and so or professor this and that, you seem so caught up with academics that you should be smart enough to realize that not only do football players miss far less time than most other sports, but that tests can be worked around and rescheduled. It happens all the time for athletes and non-athletes alike. Hell, there was a team in the little league world series this year that missed the first 3 weeks of class to be in the tournament so you are telling me that these highly intelligent AD's, Presidents, and Deans cant take a final that may be on a friday and move it to thursday...give me a frickin break!

Your arguments have no merit, all you do is talk about how we are affecting the academic structure, BS! You havent presented one legit argument against a playoff yet! If you did, you would have responded to my denouncement of your epic half a page declaration as to why a playoff didnt work. So I say again, do you have a vaild argument, well, yes or no?

Crucifax Autumn
11/27/2007, 02:48 AM
gibbity gabbity goo!

Great Googly Moogly!

Heavens to murgatroy!

Why not just do it this way: We all get jobs at the NCAA, persecute SUC and instill a system like I proposed before?

Leroy Lizard
11/27/2007, 02:56 AM
blah blah blah, gibbity gabbity goo! Ok Dr. so and so or professor this and that, you seem so caught up with academics that you should be smart enough to realize that not only do football players miss far less time than most other sports, but that tests can be worked around and rescheduled.

How are you going to force an academic Dean to reschedule final exams? They aren't paid by the athletic department. A Dean can simply say, "Screw you, the exams take place as planned."

These aren't regular tests. A regular test can be moved if the student and prof come to an agreement. Not final exams.

It happens all the time for athletes and non-athletes alike. Hell, there was a team in the little league world series this year that missed the first 3 weeks of class to be in the tournament so you are telling me that these highly intelligent AD's, Presidents, and Deans cant take a final that may be on a friday and move it to thursday...give me a frickin break!

Let me get this straight. You think that moving a final exam one day solves the problem?

There is this activity that takes place on college campuses called studying... never mind. I don't think you would understand.

garland sooner
11/27/2007, 03:06 AM
i have finals in a couple of weeks. after that i have nothing until our bowl trip in january. seriously, let's just take the bcs as it is, seed 1-8, conf. champs auto invite, then duke it out until we have a champ. even if 16 teams are taken, it's still would create a lot more excitement and fun.

but i'd prefer 8 just cause i think it wouldn't "cheapen the regular season" so to speak. In the end, make the BCS what it stands for, the Bowl Championship Series. 6 games to crown a winner, the one team to rule them all.

Collier11
11/27/2007, 03:11 AM
How are you going to force an academic Dean to reschedule final exams? They aren't paid by the athletic department. A Dean can simply say, "Screw you, the exams take place as planned."

These aren't regular tests. A regular test can be moved if the student and prof come to an agreement. Not final exams.

Let me get this straight. You think that moving a final exam one day solves the problem?

There is this activity that takes place on college campuses called studying... never mind. I don't think you would understand.

IM saying there are people intelligent enough to figure out a way without compromising academics...but apparently you dont understand

Collier11
11/27/2007, 03:18 AM

This isnt necessarily true,
1:there are days set aside to take the final if you know ahead of time that you cannot be present.
2: Most professors offer the same test several times throughout the week for different classes and could allow said student-athlete to take at another classes set aside time. It happens all the time for non-student athletes

Why is this so hard for you to understand, yes in many cases the professors and/or dean would need to atleast say its ok at the least but I doubt there couldnt be some sort of resolution.

FYI, the president supercedes the Dean of any college and if the president asks the dean to allow these particular students to take their test at an appropriate time so they dont jeopordize their grade and they can be allowed to benefit the college as scheduled in an athletic forum while not compromising the legitimacy of the final, im sure the dean would say fine.

birddog
11/27/2007, 08:44 AM

actually, yes. yes it is.

a playoff system would be impossible! no way we could ever get it figured out because idiocracy is already upon us!:rolleyes:

Desert Sapper
11/27/2007, 09:19 AM
Take the conference champs:

Big XII
Big 11
SEC
Pac 10
Big East
ACC

Add two at-large teams (using the same formula they use now to determine who plays in the BCS bowls)

Seed accordingly.

Play it out.

Pretty simple

8 teams

3 weeks

Those 8 teams are also the same 8 teams going to BCS bowls. The bowl matchups are determined by the playoff results.

The End.

And final exams can be taken at some restructured point for teams that are still alive in the playoffs.

tomtom
11/27/2007, 09:47 AM
baseball can be played everyday. so can basketball. so can volleyball.
not football

hellogoodbye
11/27/2007, 09:52 AM
Some of these academic arguments make me wonder how in the world any D1a basketball or baseball athlete\student could graduate. seriously. Or any of those doomed to academic purgatory in the smaller divisions that actually have a true national championship.....

Standards -
Establish a black out "no play" time frame to accomodate finals\preparation.

I would also submit that there would be enough (huge\mad\scary) money generated in a playoff system, that a percentage could be set aside for the other 100-something teams that didnt make it. Chump change for mid to larger schools (too bad you sucked that year), but a decent amount for schools who average 5-10 thousand for home games. Everyone could get a chunk of that cow.

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2007, 09:55 AM
If we could only get you guys to focus on world peace or cancer.

LittleWingSooner
11/27/2007, 10:03 AM
Take the conference champs:

Big XII
Big 11
SEC
Pac 10
Big East
ACC

Add two at-large teams (using the same formula they use now to determine who plays in the BCS bowls)

Seed accordingly.

Play it out.

Pretty simple

8 teams

3 weeks

Those 8 teams are also the same 8 teams going to BCS bowls. The bowl matchups are determined by the playoff results.

The End.

And final exams can be taken at some restructured point for teams that are still alive in the playoffs.

I say 12 teams take 1 extra week. Sometimes a team that isn't so good wins a conference. If Mizzou loses to OU they could be left out of the NC because of 6 conference winners and they would probably fall low enough to be left out.

silverwheels
11/27/2007, 12:02 PM
Don't know which of these playoff threads to put this in, so I just picked one at random.

It appears that West Virginia (and possibly Georgia) is proving that the "getting hot at the right time" wouldn't be exclusive to a playoff system, which is one of the major arguments against it. In the current system, isn't it better to lose early than late? Ohio State's loss to Illinois is "better" than WVU's loss to USF, yet WVU is ranked higher. Why? Because they lost earlier in the year. (Of course, when we beat Mizzou, this will all be moot, but it's the principle.)

Also, Georgia is in line to get no less than a guaranteed at-large bid for being ranked 4th, and possibly a title game berth if both MU and WVU fall on Saturday. A 2-loss UGA team that didn't even win its own division could play for the title, and they're poised to back in just because they've won 6 straight. Isn't that one of the reasons why some people don't want a playoff?

hellogoodbye
11/27/2007, 12:28 PM
Also, Georgia is in line to get no less than a guaranteed at-large bid for being ranked 4th, and possibly a title game berth if both MU and WVU fall on Saturday. A 2-loss UGA team that didn't even win its own division could play for the title, and they're poised to back in just because they've won 6 straight. Isn't that one of the reasons why some people don't want a playoff?

I suppose. Win enough games (or conference champ), and you make the playoffs. Loose in the playoffs, and you go home. I'd rather see those arguments (quality wins, SoS, etc etc) over who should be in the #8 slot of a playoff, than who should be playing in the MNC game...

1890MilesToNorman
11/27/2007, 12:40 PM
We have March Madness and now we need "December to Remember" PLAYOFF.

This ain't the Miss America Pageant, it is a college sport that needs to be decided on the field.

Exams or Millions? How about the best team earning a National Championship.

stoopified
11/27/2007, 04:21 PM
Damn it Leroy, quit stirring the pot! :D Despite what you say instituting a playoff system would just make the world a better place for all mankind. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)Preach it,brother.Voting for winners is all right for Miss America but not FOOTBALL.

1890MilesToNorman
11/27/2007, 06:48 PM
We can figure out how to build a nuclear powered aircraft carrier but we can't figure out a playoff system for the top division in college football?

Kind of makes you wonder? Hmmm

oudivesherpa
11/27/2007, 07:16 PM
I agree that we don't need an extensive playoff system, but too meany teams
(read Big X teams) can get to the NC game without playing any competition.
Do you really think Ohio State and West Va are the two best teams(assuming we beat Mizzo)? One of the bigest problems is that often the #3 team gets a raw deal--simply based on the history of the #1 and # 2 programs, but not on their performance.
A one plus system, two weeks after the Bowls, is before many schools start the second semester and after finals.
The current systemis better than the old bowl tie system, but it neeeds to be improved.

Collier11
11/28/2007, 12:52 AM
This guy on yahoo.com laid out pretty much my exact plan for a playoff and it looks like great fun, great intrigue, and great competition!

Here is the full article which explains how it works and who gets in:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AuR9Jx1S8SsndkcmAzK5buocvrYF?slug=dw-playoff112707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Here is what it would look like if this season ended today:

Bracket 1
1) Mizzou
16) Central Mich

8) Usc
9) OU ------What a 1st rd game

5) Kansas
12) Hawaii

4) Georgia
13) Byu

Bracket 2

2) West Virginia
15) Troy

7) Lsu ---Great 1st rd game
10) BC

6) Va tech ---amazing 1st rd game
11) Florida

3) Ohio st
14) Central Florida

Look at these potential 2nd rd matchups ...UNREAL games
for the 2nd rd

Ou vs. Mizzou
Kansas vs. Uga
West Virginia vs. Lsu
va tech vs ohio st

This would be unreal IMO!!!

Sooner in Tampa
11/28/2007, 06:11 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/tools/med/2007/11/ipt/1196153818.jpg

pott_2
11/28/2007, 08:04 AM
That bracket make me happy. CFB teams are basically judged every week in the polls. Doesn't that make the greatest sport on planet America the same as figure skating? They are judged.