PDA

View Full Version : IF we had a playoff...

JohnnyMack
11/26/2007, 09:18 PM
...I'd take 8 over 1 and 7 over 2 straight up right now.

1. Missouri 11-1
2. West Virginia 10-1
3. Ohio State 11-1
4. Georgia 10-2
5. Kansas 11-1
6. Virginia Tech 10-2
7. LSU 10-2
8. USC 9-2

sooner59
11/26/2007, 09:39 PM
I agree and would also take 6 over 3. But after the Big 12 champ. game, OU will be in the top 8, so that would change.

hink4769
11/26/2007, 10:32 PM
I think 7 and 8 might be the favorites, although georgia has looked good lately.

85sooners
11/26/2007, 10:39 PM
lets do this!

josh09
11/26/2007, 10:42 PM
Playoff would occur after the conference championship games, right?

That would make sense i guess.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 10:43 PM
I d be filling out my bracket and losing my butt like I do every year

hink4769
11/26/2007, 10:44 PM
RD 1
USC over Mizzou
LSU over WVU
OSU over Va. Tech
Georgia over KU
Rd. 2
USC over Georgia
LSU over OSU
Championship
USC over LSU (Pete Carroll would never lose a big game to Lester)

josh09
11/26/2007, 10:45 PM

1. Missouri 11-1
2. West Virginia 10-1
3. Ohio State 11-1
4. Georgia 10-2
5. Kansas 11-1
6. Virginia Tech 10-2
7. LSU 10-2
8. USC 9-2

USC beats Mizzou, LSU beats WV, Ohio St beats VT, and Kansas beats Georgia (that would be a good game).

Out of USC, LSU, Ohio St, and Kansas, i would have to go with LSU, even though i really, really dont want to.

Crimson Kid
11/26/2007, 11:14 PM
Taken from espn.

The BCS Works

The BCS works as well as Kim Kardashian in the lead role of "The Eleanor Roosevelt Story." It is the Kim Jong Il of college football: dictatorial and isolationist. BCS cheerleaders figure if they ignore the logic of a playoff system long enough, maybe it will all just go away.

Chase Daniel and Missouri are No. 1. But would the Tigers survive a playoff?

The truth is, the BCS is held together by rolls of duct tape and stubbornness. First the well-intentioned Bowl Coalition, then the Bowl Alliance, and now the Bowl Championship Series. And they still can't get it right.

Just last week BCS administrators had to tweak their "system" for about the billionth time. The latest bandage was applied after it became apparent that the BCS might not have enough eligible at-large teams for its five games. Oops. The BCS works so well that the only undefeated team in the country, Hawaii, could finish the regular season 12-0 and still get squeezed out of a BCS bowl game. Meanwhile, two-loss Georgia, which didn't even win its conference division or qualify for its league championship game, could conceivably play in a national title game. Huh?

And the next person who smugly tells me, "We don't need a playoff system because we already have one: the regular season," is going to get a Mike Gundy-a-gram. Look, if the regular season were really a playoff, Ohio State would have been eliminated Nov. 10, when it lost at home to Illinois. West Virginia would have been history when it lost to a South Florida team that later experienced a three-game free fall. Missouri would have been through when it lost decisively at Oklahoma on Oct. 13. LSU would have been done after an OT loss at Kentucky on the same Saturday. Virginia Tech would have been cooked after a Sept. 8 loss at LSU and most definitely after an Oct. 25 loss at home against Boston College. And USC's hopes would have expired the exact minute it lost at home to a Stanford team that couldn't beat Notre Dame.

Instead, the Buckeyes, Mountaineers, Hokies and both Tigers are somehow still on the short list, while unbeaten Hawaii and its absolutely hellacious offense is placed in BCS quarantine. Explain that. And while you're at it, explain why the Hokies, who have the same 10-2 record as Boston College, are five spots ahead of the Eagles in the latest BCS standings. You can't.

Just think if you could take Ohio State, West Virginia, LSU, Mizzou, Hawaii, BC (sorry, Hokies -- BC won on your field), Oklahoma and USC (sorry, Kansas and Georgia -- you've got to win your conference or at least reach your conference championship game to qualify), and then start an eight-team, seven-game playoff. How's this for a first-round schedule:

Warriors vs. Mountaineers, Tigers vs. Tigers, Buckeyes vs. Sooners, and Trojans vs. Eagles.

But no, we're stuck with the BCS and its weekly standings weirdness. For example, Missouri is your No. 1 team in the country. This is like Homer Simpson picking up Eva Mendes at a Chi Omega party.

Nothing against Mizzou and quarterback Chase Daniel, but the Tigers aren't the No. 1 team in the country. They aren't even favored in Vegas to beat No. 9 Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship (Mizzou is a 3-point dog).

Missouri is ranked first because somebody needs to be there, and because there is no clear-cut No. 1. There are lots of No. 2s and 3s, which is yet another reason a playoff would work, as opposed to this BCS mess.

Just in case anybody needs instructions, contact the NCAA and its Division I-FCS, Division II and III football teams. They've had an actual playoff system for decades.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...spor tCat=ncf

mOUse
11/27/2007, 12:26 AM

1. Missouri 11-1
2. West Virginia 10-1
3. Ohio State 11-1
4. Georgia 10-2
5. Kansas 11-1
6. Virginia Tech 10-2
7. LSU 10-2
8. USC 9-2

If MIZZOU and LSU, WVU and USC win, we could leave the list as is
But if Mizzou looses, then #9 OU is in. (OU Big12 champ)

If LSU looses only #14Tenn & Georgia can get in. (TENN SEC Champ)

If USC looses then #13 ASU is in (PAC10 champ)

If WVU looses, they are still in. (Big East Champ)

That being said: if all Four loose (MIZZOU, LSU, WVU and USC)
It could open the way for KU and Hawaii to get in the playoffs.

It may look like this
1. OSU 11-1
2. Georgia 10-2
3. Kansas 11-1
4. V-Tech 10-2
5. OU 12-2
6. Hawaii 12-0
7. ASU 10-2
8. Tenn 10-3
I'll take Tenn over OSU, Georgia over ASU, KU and Hawaii pickem, OU over VT.
Then:Georgia over Tenn, and OU over KU.
then OU wins the champ as a 5 seed and the BCS computers crash!
Boomer Sooner!

Dreams over...get back to work!

goingoneight
11/27/2007, 12:46 AM
Playoffs? Pfft... there we go using logic again. ;)