PDA

View Full Version : Honestly has to be the worst article ever written

GoTigers
11/26/2007, 06:14 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/10495965

I know it's obvious hyperbole to make Mizzou/WVa fans mad, but seriously, this argument is incoherent at best. The point he tries to make is that everyone would rather see a traditional power play, but... why?

cb4ou
11/26/2007, 06:19 PM
I dont know.

It kind of the argument I was making on the Kansas/Missouri infatuation thread.

yermom
11/26/2007, 06:21 PM
so when Miami beats up on the Big East they are great, but West Virgina does it and they don't deserve to be there? at least the Mountaineers have played someone, unlike the $uckeyes

if Mizzou beats OU i see no reason they shouldn't be in the title game.

OUstud
11/26/2007, 06:23 PM
That'd be great. A team that lost at home to Stanford vs. slow, Big Ten football. Who would watch that over Pat White and Chase Daniel?

GoTigers
11/26/2007, 06:25 PM
tOSU has to be the blandest team in college football. I cannot think of a more boring team to watch.

yermom
11/26/2007, 06:26 PM
i hope it doesn't happen, but WV/Mizzou would be a fun game to watch

SoonerBBall
11/26/2007, 06:29 PM
Like any game involving Ohio State would be exciting. Screw the Big 10. Their brand of football sucks.

KantoSooner
11/26/2007, 06:31 PM
I sincerely hope OU pounds Mizzou like cheap veal.
But, in the unlikely event we lose, I will be rooting for the Tigers in the NC game with all my heart.

I likewise think that West Va has earned the right and would be an interesting matchup with Missouri.

but OSU? Please. This team would lose by 50 to almost anyone else in the top ten.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2007, 07:01 PM
The press likes the traditional match-ups because of ratings and they are probably correct. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rose bowl matches the MNC game in ratings. But I'll watch the MNC regardless of the teams as I am a college football fan. I'm bummed that it will not be an OU-WVU match-up as that was the game I was hoping for before the season started! If only Sam had just gotten out of the way and let someone else tackle that TT defender... sigh.

85sooners
11/26/2007, 07:10 PM
:D

IronSooner
11/26/2007, 07:50 PM
That reminds me of Miami bitching about missing out on the 2000 OB. If you wanted to play in it, you shouldn't have lost. Sorry USC and tOSU. Better luck next year.

soonernation
11/26/2007, 08:02 PM
Why does USC get the most 2 loss team press. They got beat by freakin Stanford. USC would get beat by OU or LSU by double digits.

SoonerKnight
11/26/2007, 08:12 PM
But you forget Missouri will not be in the title game. the Sooners will win the Big XII and next year they will win #8! I can feel this!! I knew in 2000 that the Sooners would win that one and they did even won my bet. :D

birddog
11/26/2007, 08:39 PM
i think mizzou-west virginia would be an exciting matchup. but this is what you get with the bcs. are they the 2 best teams? who knows. but that's how it may shake out.

and he's wrong if he doesn't think people will be watching.

Paperclip
11/26/2007, 08:51 PM
Honestly has to be the worst article ever written

Feel free to go to newsok.com and try to read anything by Jenni Carlson.

Dan Thompson
11/26/2007, 08:55 PM
It would have been an okay article if usc was not mentioned.

47straight
11/27/2007, 01:10 AM
any link not pointing to Chip Brown's begging and pleading that, no, really, Texas is better than OU and will win out article from last week's Dallas Morning Fiction is not the right link.

Leroy Lizard
11/27/2007, 03:12 AM
It may be the most insulting article I have seen in quite some time. Dating your sister? I can expect that kind of garbage being spouted in a local bar, but not in a national column.

BTW, I think this is the same Mike Freeman who got nailed for academic fraud and was forced to leave his job.

Ask Buckeye fans about his integrity:

http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/espn-s-04-05-war-against-tosu-tressel/7081-has-our-favorite-ny-times-reporter-returned.html

Big Red Ron
11/27/2007, 03:28 AM
So while Hicks vs. Hee-haws would be dreadful to watch,Does anyone else sense an underlying reverse-racial bias here?

That guy is a bad writter with a few good points. I hope that isn't some of his best work.

OUGuf
11/27/2007, 11:04 AM
Its not reverse-Racism it is Racism.
Just because a Black person says it doesnt make it reverse. Racism is racism.
Calling people Hicks, and Hehaws is just as bad as calling someone a Porch Monkey or a nappy headed Hoe.
I sent a letter off to the CBS ethics department asking their view on this subject as well.
He needs to find a new gig writing adds for the yellowpages, and leave the journalism to someone who isnt a complete moron.

yermom
11/27/2007, 11:39 AM
i'm not sure how Mizzou gets lumped in with hicks and hee-haws...

i don't really see how that is a racially biased thing, maybe urban vs. rural

plenty of black players on both teams

soonerhubs
11/27/2007, 11:45 AM
It may be the most insulting article I have seen in quite some time. Dating your sister? I can expect that kind of garbage being spouted in a local bar, but not in a national column.

BTW, I think this is the same Mike Freeman who got nailed for academic fraud and was forced to leave his job.

http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/espn-s-04-05-war-against-tosu-tressel/7081-has-our-favorite-ny-times-reporter-returned.html
It appears that is the case. http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A4937-2004Jan9?

76soonergrad
11/27/2007, 12:11 PM
Mike Freeman IS a snooty writer looking down on college football.

Same old, same old. Teams have to be from the coasts & the big 10.
Elitist times 10. Keep saying you're not, Mike. You are. Writers want to decide it all. That goes for Heisman hype as well.

Flyover America gets no respect.

Lott's Bandana
11/27/2007, 12:33 PM
This is like Colin Cowsh*t when he said he didn't think the campus at Appalachian State even had electricity yet.

This guy should not be a writer, especially given his history. Let's get him fired...wanna?

^

soonerloyal
11/27/2007, 01:46 PM
i'm not sure how Mizzou gets lumped in with hicks and hee-haws...

i don't really see how that is a racially biased thing, maybe urban vs. rural

plenty of black players on both teams

I don't see racism, I see borderline bigotry. I get from his remarks a sense of ill-thought-out biases about Heartland people; preconceived notions about a type of people different from hmself, and a whiff of intolerance as to the relevance of that group in college football schematics.

Intolerance sucks.

Big Red Ron
11/27/2007, 07:43 PM
Calling people Hicks, and Hehaws is just as bad as calling someone a Porch Monkey or a nappy headed Hoe.

This guy should lose his job, like Imus.

I sent a letter off to the CBS ethics department asking their view on this subject as well.

That's good, thanks.

Spek

meoveryouxinfinity
11/27/2007, 08:22 PM
He tries to erase his previous jabs at WVU and MU by saying, "Relax, it's a joke"

When did people forget how to joke? State-related jokes are not funny. They will never be anything more than offensive. It just shows Freeman is separating the North elitists and Southerners just as much as a man with a confederate flag in his front yard.

Big Red Ron
11/27/2007, 08:27 PM
"Relax, it's a joke"
:rolleyes:

TUSooner
11/27/2007, 10:49 PM
He must have been rejected by the Mizzou journalism school.
He hit the daily double in my book: He's wrong AND he writes like doo-doo. But here's hoping he gets part of his wish -- no MU in the BCSCG.

Lott's Bandana
11/28/2007, 01:49 AM

'Course, it is kinda funny how the tOSU fans are all up in arms 'cause this dude dared to write an article about how Mo Clarett wasn't much of a Boy Scout. The righteous indignation is funny to read, 'specially since I bet none of them have gone to visit Inmate Clarett at his new crib.

^

Crucifax Autumn
11/28/2007, 02:36 AM
That is hilarious! Let's all plan a trip to see him and point and laugh!