11/26/2007, 03:23 PM
So who's going to be the pig's coach?
Sources: Nutt out as coach, will receive settlement from Arkansas

ESPN.com

Updated: November 26, 2007, 3:09 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

Houston Nutt, the second-longest tenured football coach in the Southeastern Conference, will not be back at Arkansas next season, sources told ESPN on Monday.

University officials will make the announcement at a news conference scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET in Fayetteville. The university would not comment on the nature of the announcement, other than to say Nutt, Chancellor John White and outgoing athletic director Frank Broyles will be on hand.

Nutt, who led the Razorbacks to two SEC championship game appearances, will receive a settlement in the neighborhood of $3.5 million. [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3128404"]ht

The Maestro
11/26/2007, 03:28 PM
Well, if he was good enough to win at LSU in late November, they should have been a lot better the rest of the season. I just watched McFadden Friday in amazement that Arkansas was 7-4 coming into that game. That does point to some bad coaching.

birddog
11/26/2007, 03:28 PM
there's also some rumblings that nutt already has another job lined up. not sure where yet.

yermom
11/26/2007, 03:29 PM
i think i'd like to see him at Baylor

msteudem
11/26/2007, 03:33 PM
He is probably going to Nebraska.

yermom
11/26/2007, 03:40 PM
i would think that window has closed

aurorasooner
11/26/2007, 03:41 PM
He is probably going to Nebraska. I think Nutt-job probably burned his bridges at UNL when he used the corn to get him that Arkansas extension. He does however fit the cornschuckers run-orientated coach's mold. I hope the Arkies aren't sniffing around BV this week. This is historically a bad week for gameplans when coordinators start in contract negotiations.

stoopified
11/26/2007, 03:43 PM
i think i'd like to see him at BaylorSnicker

humblesooner
11/26/2007, 03:44 PM
Doesn't it seem strange that Nutt would be at the press conference to announce that he is being let go?

aurorasooner
11/26/2007, 03:50 PM
Doesn't it seem strange that Nutt would be at the press conference to announce that he is being let go? Was thinking the same thing especially when I looked directly to the right of this story and saw. "Nutt says he has chancellor's support at Arkansas" I think it means something more to the effect like Nutt says he has 3.5 mil of the chancellor's money. I've never seen so much "support" turn south this quickly. Mississippi now Arkansas. Pretty bad when you beat the number 1 team at their place, then get fired. I guess 3.5 mil would take the sting out of it a bit, though. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3128404

sooner-n-ga
11/26/2007, 03:56 PM
Nutt will re-surface at SMU !

TMcGee86
11/26/2007, 04:03 PM
I would actually like to see someone resurrect that SMU program.

I can't see how it has taken this long to get it back on track. I know the death penalty took it's toll, but heck, Marshall had a worse scenario and they got back on track fairly quickly all things considered.

SMU has no excuse anymore for the massive amount of sucking they produce.

Nice school, great location, good facilities, and Texas HS talent. There is no reason they should be this bad.

sanantoniosooner
11/26/2007, 04:09 PM
Well, if he was good enough to win at LSU in late November, they should have been a lot better the rest of the season. I just watched McFadden Friday in amazement that Arkansas was 7-4 coming into that game. That does point to some bad coaching.
The SEC is JUST THAT TOUGH.

85sooners
11/26/2007, 04:57 PM
:D

AllAboutThe'O'
11/26/2007, 04:58 PM
As an Arkansas alum, I agree. The Hogs, at worst, could've easily been 11-1 and playing in the SEC title game this week but Nutt and his merry men screwed things up earlier this season. That has been their pattern, start slow then once they seem to be written off, find a way to dig themselves out of the hole. But all the offseason drama took its toll and I believe it's best that Nutt and the Hogs parted ways. And to that, I say....

OH, HAPPY DAY!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 05:01 PM
This stinks..No more Dick-Nutt- Johnson jokes:(

Landthief 1972
11/26/2007, 05:31 PM
Hmmm... go to the SEC championship last year, go 8-4 in the SEC and beat #1 LSU at LSU this year, and get fired? Shades of Nebraska, if you ask me.

BudSooner
11/26/2007, 06:37 PM
Werd is that GA Tech(Broyles alma tomater)setup the meeting for Nutt and them, seems pretty funny that Gailey was fired and for this to happen in the same day.

but then, I don't give a ****. :D

AverageJoe
11/26/2007, 07:04 PM
Nobody will do any better at ARKIE than Nutt did. Count on it. Kinda like Slocum at A&M. Nobody is going to do any better at A&M than RC did unless OU and Texas go in the dumps at the same time.

AJ

BudSooner
11/26/2007, 07:11 PM
Press conference to be played at 6:30pm, here is the link-

http://www.espn963.com/listenonline/listenonline.html

aurorasooner
11/26/2007, 07:16 PM
Werd is that GA Tech(Broyles alma tomater)setup the meeting for Nutt and them, seems pretty funny that Gailey was fired and for this to happen in the same day. I think the way to confirm Nutt-job to Ga.Tech would be to check and see if that text-message queen news reporter from that Ft. Smith TV station, Donna something or another, just signed up for a head job at an Atlanta TV station. (maybe I should rephrase that)

BudSooner
11/26/2007, 07:31 PM
I think the way to confirm Nutt-job to Ga.Tech would be to check and see if that text-message queen news reporter from that Ft. Smith TV station, Donna something or another, just signed up for a head job at an Atlanta TV station. (maybe I should rephrase that)

Good point, heh I forgot about her but yeah.

Hog fans are foaming at the mouth right now, throwing out names like Jimmy Johnson(riiiiiiiiiiiight)Butch Davis,GUS MALZAHN(yep, they want him for the head coaching job, never mind 0, 0 college head coaching experience...everything rides on his stint in Springdale)Tuberville,Paul Johnson(to a lesser degree)Rich Rod,and PETE CARROLL.

they are delusional if they think Carroll would leave the west coast for arky, or Gus can actually handle the duties when Nutt couldn't?
Some of those cats I take it have not seen Todd Dodges go 'round at North Texas. :D

ArkanSooner
11/26/2007, 08:01 PM
Nutt is leaving the program in shambles; they will lucky to go 4-8 next season. The cupboard is most definitely bare.

Anyway--
OUr own Brent Venables is a favorite candidate among Hog fans over here. Right now the main three names being mentioned are him, Bo Pellini, and Mike Leach. There's also talk of everyone from Dennis Franchione to Jimmy Johnson to Butch Davis to who knows.

As far as Dale (HDN) is concerned, right now it seems apparent he is going to either Ole Miss or Georgia Tech.

bluedogok
11/26/2007, 11:43 PM
I think the Carroll stuff comes from his year or two with Holtzths at Arkansas. No way he would leave the beach for NWA. I think the only thing that would make him leave is a top level NFL job....or a probation stoked firing.

I would actually like to see someone resurrect that SMU program.

I can't see how it has taken this long to get it back on track. I know the death penalty took it's toll, but heck, Marshall had a worse scenario and they got back on track fairly quickly all things considered.

SMU has no excuse anymore for the massive amount of sucking they produce.

Nice school, great location, good facilities, and Texas HS talent. There is no reason they should be this bad.The administration is the reason why they haven't done much. I lived in Dallas at the time the program was reborn. They have higher academic requirements for athletes than most other schools and there is a segment of the administration that doesn't want it to be anything more than a "nice little team". They are afraid of what happened before happening again and will do everything to prevent it. Look how quick they were to can the Sampson assistant because of problems. They just have no tolerance for it and I don't think they want to be "good", I think they would be happy with competitive.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/27/2007, 04:02 PM
OK, for the blockhead who negged me for my comments earlier in this thread, lumping me in with the rest of the "pig fans," let me clarify a few things.....
I may be an Arkansas grad, but I'm far from being an avid Hog fan. I like to see the Hogs do well, but I'm not an obsessed Razorback fan. I haven't been to a Razorback game in over seven years. As a matter of fact, I don't own a single Razorback cap or T-shirt. OU's my team, and while I like a few other schools, including the Hogs, I pull for the Sooners first above everybody else.
Second, I live in Arkansas and I grew up in Arkansas, so I still have an ounce of interest in the homestate university and I could see that Nutt was no longer the answer. Yes, he had a few big wins but his tenure was frustratingly inconsistent. How many other coaches could say he was 2-1 lifetime vs. Texas but 0-3 lifetime in his own stadium against perennial SEC bottom-feeders Vanderbilt and Kentucky? Plus, all the off-field drama was taking a toll on Razorback supporters.
The Hogs are going to be bad next year, and probably the year after, regardless of who the coach is. But I think Nutt leaving was best for the program and the university.
There is still one reason I keep a close eye on the Hogs. The incoming athletic director, Jeff Long, used to work at OU as an assistant A.D. and Joe C. was real high on him when Long was hired at Arkansas. I think Long is going to do a heckuva job at Arkansas.
So don't lump me in with the other "pig fans." You think you know me, but you don't.