PDA

View Full Version : Throw out the records...its ******

CobraKai
11/26/2007, 02:03 PM
Does it upset anyone else when people say "you can throw out the records in OU v. OSU?" I've heard it for years. People always say it. Sportscasters always say it. Local radio talking heads say it. I think people just accept it as reality.

Quickly...can you name one series in any sport in which this tenet applies less than it does to the OU-OSU series? Seriously. In 100 years you could probably count on 1 hand the number of times that the game was much of an upset. OSU has made it more competitive over the last 15 years, however on most of those cases they arguably had a better team (Blake years). For the most part the better team almost always wins in OU-OSU, probably more so than any series I can think of. Am I just crazy?

Sooner Among The Pack
11/26/2007, 02:13 PM
I find it hard say "throw out the records" in any matchup where it's so clearly one sided.

Honestly, in most years, it doesn't matter what either team's record is. OU owns OSU.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 02:21 PM
Thats why OU fans dont use that B word

CobraKai
11/26/2007, 02:21 PM
True, but it seems that (01/02 notwithstanding) this is a series almost devoid of upsets, thus the curious distinction that you can "throw out the records."

cheezyq
11/26/2007, 02:27 PM
Here are a few possibilities as to why that gets said:

1. The team on the lower end of that record is desperate to find some reason for hope.
2. The media is desperate to generate enough interest to sell decent ratings because one of the teams in the game sucks.
3. The team on the upper end of that record is desperate to motivate their team into generating a blowout.

silverwheels
11/26/2007, 02:27 PM
When one team has won roughly 77% of the games played, it's not "anything can happen" or "throw out the records". It's domination.

Suerreal
11/26/2007, 02:28 PM
It's pure hype to stir up interest in what would otherwise be a fractionally more exciting series than OU-Baylor or any other clear mismatch.

Widescreen
11/26/2007, 02:29 PM
I read today that the OU/OSU series record is the most 1-sided in-state "rivalry" in college football. The whole b*e*d*l*a*m concept is an invention to make the pokes feel competitive (see cheezyg's point #1 above).

yermom
11/26/2007, 02:30 PM
what they mean is, throw out the season records and look at the series record

CobraKai
11/26/2007, 02:32 PM
Here are a few possibilities as to why that gets said:

1. The team on the lower end of that record is desperate to find some reason for hope.
2. The media is desperate to generate enough interest to sell decent ratings because one of the teams in the game sucks.
3. The team on the upper end of that record is desperate to motivate their team into generating a blowout.

I think #2 may be the reason. I just wonder why everyone seems to give this statement a pass. My wife said it on Saturday and I was like "WTF?!?!?" If there was ever a series where you can't throw out the records, its this one. The favored team always wins with very few exceptions.

LRoss
11/26/2007, 02:37 PM
No, it's true. The players who played the rest of the season and are responsible for the irrelevant records aren't involved in the OU/OSU game at all, it's just the uniforms that go out there. A lot like the old electronic football game, you know.

Suerreal
11/26/2007, 02:38 PM
Actually, b*d-l*m was intially used to refer to the wrestling matches, which were very competitive, and only later appropriated to generate interest in the football games. . .

Back in the day, our post-Thanksgiving rivalry game was against Nebraska, & the 'pokes were scheduled for whenever we could work them in, sometimes as early as October.

SoonerMom2
11/26/2007, 02:41 PM
****** is media driven. At least the announcers did remind people that this was an in-state "rivalry" and our big rival was Texas, but have yet to figure out why they use the word rivalry. Except for the Blake years and a few odd ball times, it is not competitive at all.

yermom
11/26/2007, 02:46 PM
they do play us tough in Stoolwater, generally

nocaster
11/26/2007, 03:09 PM
This monument says it all. Some day I want to go to Guthrie and see it in person.

http://tinyurl.com/2n6bsv

Boarder
11/26/2007, 03:13 PM
It makes me upset when people use the B word.

KingBarry
11/26/2007, 04:56 PM
The favored team always wins with very few exceptions.

Well, yeah, but isn't that just because OU is, with very few exceptions, ALMOST ALWAYS the favored team? That, BTW, IS another way of saying that OU almost always wins the game?

The "thow out the records" idea grows from two roots. The first and by far most important is the media's need to turn this end-of-season in-state matchup into a rivalry game and attract an audience. The other is the fact that osu beat Bob Stoops twice, and has played us very close in Stoolwater.

In fact, you could accurately say "throw out the records" when the game is played up north, if you actually mean "throw out the point spreads." But the result is still almost always that OU wins in the end, we just win by a smaller margin than most predict. And in Norman, we almost always win, and win big, as expected.

PLaw
11/26/2007, 07:22 PM
Does it upset anyone else when people say "you can throw out the records in OU v. OSU?" I've heard it for years. People always say it. Sportscasters always say it. Local radio talking heads say it. I think people just accept it as reality.

Quickly...can you name one series in any sport in which this tenet applies less than it does to the OU-OSU series? Seriously. Am I just crazy?

T-sips and eATME is just as lopsided and just as heated.

BOOMER

Vaevictis
11/26/2007, 07:26 PM
This monument says it all. Some day I want to go to Guthrie and see it in person.

http://tinyurl.com/2n6bsv

Bahahahaha

"Incidentally, every player on the OU squad scored that day."

swardboy
11/26/2007, 07:38 PM
CobraKai, aren't you from the Miami, FL area? Been a good fall, huh? :D:D

Charla
11/26/2007, 07:47 PM
If I was OSUx I would want to throw out my record too.