PDA

View Full Version : Interesting note on Hawaii's schedule this year

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 11:54 AM
It seems their athletic director is under a lot of fire because of his schedule making problems last year. And seems to be full of crap

This is from 11-06:

Athletic director Herman Frazier has the four unannounced opponents on next year's schedule arranged, Jones said.

"About two and a half weeks ago and he assured me that he's about got things pretty much lined up," said Jones, who added that all the opponents will be Division I-A teams.

He declined to name the schools.

"I'll let him break it to you," Jones said. "I think that a couple of them might be on the road."

Just to save a lot of reading, Frazier didnt finish this years schedule until 5 months ago. A lot of people are calling for his head and rightfully so. Michigan State did back out but they told them 2 years ago they were gonna back out.

I know Louisville tried to get a game with them this year and he said "If we play them, might as well play Georgia too." Hawaii probably could have beat Louisville, who started the season with a high ranking, and given themselves some credibility.

And sure teams are going to turn you down when you contact them 5 months before the season starts and your asking them to give up their bye week.

Frazier said he could have booked a 2007 schedule late last year that would have included Texas A&M and either North Carolina State or Texas Tech, all on the road. Louisville on the road was also an option.

But he wanted to hold out for more home games.

I feel bad for the players who obviously deserve better than this guy who brain farted this season away from them.

BTW the 2008 Hawaii schedule is complete; They open at Florida, and also have Washington State, Oregon St, and Cincinatti.

BIG_IKE
11/26/2007, 12:07 PM
I lived in Hawaii for 4 years and can tell you it is tough for them to get opponents. Every Hawaii athletic contest requires Hawaii or an Opponent to travel over 2,000 miles. It sucks, and it's expensive.

Alot of teams do not want to play Hawaii IN HAWAII either. Reason being, the Rainbow Warriors are VERY tough to beat at home. I saw Alabama go out there and get rolled a few years back, it was hilarious. That being said, Hawaii is not that tough on the road.

Actually Fresno St, Boise St. and Hawaii are very very tough in their own stadiums. Those are traps for big schools and you see very very few big schools willing to go play on the Smurf Turf, Bulldog Stadium or Aloha Stadium.

sooneron
11/26/2007, 12:11 PM
Actually Fresno St, Boise St. and Hawaii are very very tough in their own stadiums. Those are traps for big schools and you see very very few big schools willing to go play on the Smurf Turf, Bulldog Stadium or Aloha Stadium.
Them being tough at home is a MINOR reason for not going. There's no need for a big program to go to a recruiting wasteland if it is not a marquee matchup. Fresno, at least figured most of it out. They will go and play anyone anywhere. Hawaii and BSU need to figure it out and nut up the cash even though the payday would off set the money spent traveling.

SoonerMom2
11/26/2007, 12:11 PM
When Hawaii played Boise State and the announcers said their strength of schedule was 118 and 119, I cracked up. That's what not having strength of scheduling as a major component of the BCS has done. I can see travel for Hawaii but what is Boise State's excuse?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 12:13 PM
Its tough but just imagine where they would be sitting at if they had went to Louisville, who was a pre season top 10, and beat them. That immediately would have increased their ranking enough that they would be probably at least 3 spots higher than they are right now. Or even go to Texas Tech, which would be an 8 hour game but I would watch all 8 hours of it.

Sounds like Frazier lied to Jones and the public until it all caught up with him.

sooneron
11/26/2007, 12:26 PM
Meh, nm. I just saw the 08 sched.

yermom
11/26/2007, 12:33 PM
yeah, that 08 schedule is brutal

but if they ever want to be a respected program that is what they are going to have to do. i mean playing in the WAC is going to kill their SOS, but if they had played those teams this year with the same results, they'd likely be headed to play in the MNC game

BIG_IKE
11/26/2007, 12:37 PM
Them being tough at home is a MINOR reason for not going. There's no need for a big program to go to a recruiting wasteland if it is not a marquee matchup. Fresno, at least figured most of it out. They will go and play anyone anywhere. Hawaii and BSU need to figure it out and nut up the cash even though the payday would off set the money spent traveling.
True indeed. Boise is not exactly a football breeding ground.
But The San Joaquin Valley of California is. I have alot of respect for Fresno State. They play with alot of heart and do not back down from big opponents.

They actually beat or come close to beating a majority of the bigger schools they play..

Fresno State Casualties
Wisconsin 2001
Colorado 2001
Oregon State 2001
Oregon St 2003
K-State 2004
Washington 2004
K-State 2007..

There near misses are actually more impressive.
FSU Big School Scares
-2 at Texas A&M in 2007
-6 Oregon 2006
-1 Washington 2006
-3 Oregon 2005
-8 USC 2005
-2 Wisconsin 2002
-4 Oregon 2002.

The seniors at Fresno State in their 4 years have traveled to Norman, Kyle Field, Autzen, Tennessee, the L.A. Coliseum and played against the countries best teams in some of the harshest areas. much respect to them.

I honestly think these guys would compete if they joined the Pac-10.

yermom
11/26/2007, 12:45 PM
they didn't beat CU in '01, they only lost to Texass, CSU and Oregon in the Fiesta that year. they were .05 points from the MNC game because of the QW points for Nebraska and Texas

BIG_IKE
11/26/2007, 12:49 PM
they didn't beat CU in '01, they only lost to Texass, CSU and Oregon in the Fiesta that year. they were .05 points from the MNC game because of the QW points for Nebraska and Texas
Yeah they did.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/stats/2001/ccn/gamebygame.html
Fresno State started the season 6-0
Upsetting Colorado, Oregon State, a top 10 Wisconsin team @ Wisconsin, and went from unranked to Top 10 Team in 3 weeks.
They eventually fell after losing to Boise and Hawaii back to back
but they finished 11-3, the 3rd loss coming to Michigan State in a Bowl Game.