PDA

View Full Version : Facing #1

The Maestro
11/26/2007, 11:51 AM
Boy, the DO points out the obvious that OU has struggled against teams ranked number one. Ummmm...I guess most teams probably do, hence the number one ranking! I think OU has done a good job, going 6-12-2 against number 1. That is 20 games and 8 times you didn't lose. It is our first time to face a number one ranked team since....

...since...

...since...

...eh, I don't care to talk about it.

OKC-SLC
11/26/2007, 12:49 PM
It is our first time to face a number one ranked team since....

...since...

...since...

...eh, I don't care to talk about it.
I do not have recollection of this matchup.

yermom
11/26/2007, 12:51 PM
Nebraska?

i remember how that went :D

SoonerMom2
11/26/2007, 12:52 PM
Nebraska of 2000 was the perfect storm for OU!

soonermeteor
11/26/2007, 02:29 PM
So if we win does this mean we get to rush the field? [hairGel]

Oh, its going to be fun pretending to be a Colorado or Tech fan. :pop: Granted, we don't suck and are only ranked 8 lower than Mizzou. :cool:

LRoss
11/26/2007, 02:41 PM
Not saying that OU necessarily wins or that Missouri isn't a good team, but I've never been less scared of a #1 ranked team. I'd feel exactly the same if they were ranked #15 -- OU plays to their potential, it's a win.

SteelClip49
11/26/2007, 02:56 PM
If Oklahoma wins and WVA loses, then OU should be up there with Georgia and VT as a consideration for the national title.

Phil
11/26/2007, 03:17 PM
Ummm, we're not playing No. 1, we're playing Missouri. It's just like earlier this season. It's the biggest game in school history for them. For us, it's Missouri. It's a little more than that this week with the conference title on the line, but it's still Missouri.

The Maestro
11/26/2007, 03:24 PM
In related history, Missouri has only beaten OU twice when the Sooners were ranked. In 1981 they beat a team headed south, 19-14, where OU finished 7-4-1 so hardly impressive. They also beat us in 1939 when we finished in the top 20.

Stoop Dawg
11/26/2007, 03:34 PM
Not that history has any bearing on this week's game, but since this is a thread about history.....

Missouri Football Series
Games: 92 Record: 64-23-5 (72%)

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/series/details.cfm?OppID=15

We're 9-1 in the last 10 games. We've faced Chase Daniel twice (and maybe a 3rd, don't recall if he played against us in 2005 or not).

Like the previous poster, I'm not saying it's a definite win, nor that Mizzou is not good. But it's not like we haven't seen this before. Several times.

I'm also encouraged that this is a "neutral field" and not really a "road game". I don't think playing in a different stadium affects this team as much as not having the crowd. I expect OU will bring more fans, and it will be a decidedly "OU" crowd. That bodes well.

astro5169
11/26/2007, 05:15 PM
OU wins
West V Loss to Pittsburg
LSU Loss to Tenn
V Tech Loss to B College

We play for Nat Champ against OSU.... iT COULD HAPPEN.

KHS Sooner
11/26/2007, 05:29 PM
OU wins
West V Loss to Pittsburg
LSU Loss to Tenn
V Tech Loss to B College

We play for Nat Champ against OSU.... iT COULD HAPPEN.

The chances of that are slim to none.

But we can hope. :D

astro5169
11/26/2007, 05:33 PM
The only real problem with the scenario is the fact we need to take care of business.

West Virginia can and most likely will lose. They are #2 and they will be thinking ahead. Pitts wants to knock them off to make their season...(Like when state plays us)

LSU is not as good as predicted. Ask Arkansas.

Vtech is playing a good Boston College Team.

I see Missouri as the only real problem with this scenario.

The Maestro
11/26/2007, 06:00 PM
The only real problem with the scenario is the fact we need to take care of business.

West Virginia can and most likely will lose. They are #2 and they will be thinking ahead. Pitts wants to knock them off to make their season...(Like when state plays us)

LSU is not as good as predicted. Ask Arkansas.

Vtech is playing a good Boston College Team.

I see Missouri as the only real problem with this scenario.

So let me get this straight...cause I didn't see smiley faces or anything.

You see Missouri as the ONLY REAL PROBLEM with us going from 9th to 2nd in the BCS in one weekend when at least three of the teams ranked ahead of us don't even play?

astro5169
11/26/2007, 06:04 PM
Yes. We will have beaten a #1 twice. Kansas is leapfrogged didnt win its conference champ. Georgia didnt win its conference Champ. USUCK is playing an unranked team.

The Maestro
11/26/2007, 06:06 PM
Good luck with that.

astro5169
11/26/2007, 06:17 PM
It really isnt that impossible. It is reasonable. But you are right there is a greater chance of nothing working right.

I like hope. I will think that Bob gets the win Saturday and wins big if possible to excite the pollsters.

KantoSooner
11/26/2007, 06:20 PM
At some point in history, a man sat, flipping a coin.

And he got heads 999 times in a row.

It happens.

SOONERxWife73
11/26/2007, 06:33 PM
Mizzou will only have been #1 for six days......nuf said. WE win. :)

KaiserSooner
11/26/2007, 07:49 PM
I expect OU will bring more fans, and it will be a decidedly "OU" crowd.

Are we really sure of this?

I have no doubt plenty of OU fans will be there, but this is a huge game for Missouri...they've never been here before. Don't you think they'll bring their fans by the truck load? Just a thought...I really don't have an answer.

KHS Sooner
11/26/2007, 07:53 PM

I have no doubt plenty of OU fans will be there, but this is a huge game for Missouri...they've never been here before. Don't you think they'll bring their fans by the truck load? Just a thought...I really don't have an answer.

There is more OU fans in Texas then you think.

And I think we will travel more from Oklahoma.

sooner59
11/26/2007, 10:22 PM
So what happens with Georgia?

bluedogok
11/26/2007, 10:42 PM
If Oklahoma wins and WVA loses, then OU should be up there with Georgia and VT as a consideration for the national title.
I still haven't figured out why Georgia is in the discussion since they aren't playing in the CCG. Just because they lost early shouldn't excuse them, I would think KU belongs in with one loss to the (for now) #1 team before UGA with losses to South Carolina (6-6/3-5) and Tennessee (9-3/6-2), one of whom is in the CCG and one fifth place team in a 6 team division.

There is more OU fans in Texas then you think.

And I think we will travel more from Oklahoma.
The largest OU alumni associations outside of OK are all in Texas. There are a ton of us down here.

SoonerKnight
11/26/2007, 10:43 PM
Missouri is only #1 by default same with WV! Missouri played a KU team that had not played a physical team all year! KU would have lost to OU as well!! Now MU will lose to us again and we will go to the Fiesta. :( We should be in the title game but it does not seem like that will happen!

jwlynn64
11/26/2007, 10:47 PM
The largest OU alumni associations outside of OK are all in Texas. There are a ton of us down here.

Don't know about alumni Associations but the largest Sooner Club in the nation is in Dallas.

Stoop Dawg
11/27/2007, 01:57 AM

Not sure of it at all. But even if every single Mizzou fan on the planet shows up, I still think they only fill half the stadium. ;)

soonerlaw
11/27/2007, 10:49 AM
In the MNC discussion, I for one, have a serious issue with the possibility of Virginia Tech going... they got mega-blown out by LSU to the point they weren't even competitive. How are they ahead of us?