PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION: All OU fans coming down here for the game.

SoonerStormchaser
11/26/2007, 11:21 AM
Just be aware that your friends in the Texass Highway Patrol have stepped up their speed traps BIG TIME on the northeast side of San Antonio (this includes the Randolph AFB/ San Antonio Intl. Airport area).

Also, be aware that I-35 is undergoing some decent amounts of construction between I-410 and the Bexar/Guadalupe county lines, so be prepared for the possibility of slowdowns.

Weather this weekend is looking ok...highs near 80 all weekend, but a chance of t-storms on Sunday.

If anyone is having trouble finding hotel rooms near downtown, check out alternate locations near Randolph AFB and near Sea World. Military folk, don't count on getting quarters where I'm at. I already tried to set up a few of my buddies, and there's no room at the VOQ this weekend. I dunno about Ft. Sam or Lackland.

SoonerStormchaser
11/26/2007, 07:33 PM
bump

KHS Sooner
11/26/2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks man.

okiewaker
11/26/2007, 08:12 PM
Yeah, THP will licking their chops at the chance to pull over Sooners. Been there, done that. You can take an aspirin and they would beable to tell.

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2007, 08:14 PM
i dont know about that, i lived there for 5 years, had OU stuff all over my car, and typically drove 80 up I-35 without so much as ever being pulled over

in the old day, schertz is where you'd get pulled over - SAPD rarely patrols the interstate

IGotNoTiming
11/26/2007, 08:22 PM
Also travelling Sooners....

Just North of Austin is a new Loop 130 that takes you east of town- while it is a toll road it will take you as far as hwy 71 where you would head east about 6 miles toward IH 35, then continue south... It is worth taking this route to avoid the Friday traffic on IH 35. Travel safe.

okiewaker
11/26/2007, 08:22 PM
i dont know about that, i lived there for 5 years, had OU stuff all over my car, and typically drove 80 up I-35 without so much as ever being pulled over

in the old day, schertz is where you'd get pulled over - SAPD rarely patrols the interstate

Well, maybe not THP, but TABC is rough. Especially on the Texas side of lake Texoma on 4th of July weekend several years ago. Anyway, not a fun day.

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2007, 08:27 PM
i doubt anybody will be traveling down hwy 75 to get to San Antonio

besides, drinking and driving is a no no - no matter what time of the year

SoonerGirl06
11/26/2007, 08:27 PM
Well, maybe not THP, but TABC is rough. Especially on the Texas side of lake Texoma on 4th of July weekend several years ago. Anyway, not a fun day.

Well, when you got your drawers pulled down and filling up the lake with your wee wee... that usually gets the attention of those law enforcement officials.

Just sayin'....

okiewaker
11/26/2007, 08:32 PM
Actually, it was 10:00am in the morning, we had just gotten up. Went to the marina to get ice. Not even started wee...weeing in the lake yet.

bluedogok
11/26/2007, 11:50 PM
Also, be aware that I-35 is undergoing some decent amounts of construction between I-410 and the Bexar/Guadalupe county lines, so be prepared for the possibility of slowdowns.
...and this is different than any other time how :rolleyes:

I-35 is ALWAYS under construction somewhere in Texas. For those of you coming down from north of DFW, the I-35 split at Hillsboro is still a complete mess. There is other scattered sections that are being worked on as well but none as bad as the Hillsboro area.

colleyvillesooner
11/26/2007, 11:57 PM
what will the Saturday traffic be like in Austin. Still worth taking the toll road?

SicEmBaylor
11/26/2007, 11:59 PM
If any of you want to stop in Waco and have a drink or something then PM me and we'll arrange something.

I'm serious.

SoonerGirl06
11/27/2007, 12:03 AM
You'll forget and drive to Abilene.

SOONERnTx
11/27/2007, 12:07 AM
I'm leaving from Waco, a little too early to drink for me though. Plan on leaving around 6am in order to drink in SA! Plan on enjoying walking around the riverwalk looking at all the Crimson.

bluedogok
11/27/2007, 12:10 AM
what will the Saturday traffic be like in Austin. Still worth taking the toll road?
I avoid I-35 from 290E to 71/290W (Ben White) from the hours of 6am to about 11pm everyday, through downtown if just a parking lot, even on Saturday. I live west of I-35 in between I-35 and Mopac, so we usually go the Mopac route to the toll road up north to get to I-35 in Round Rock.

The new 130 toll road east of town is a breeze, we took it up/back to Hutto to save time last month. I think it stops at 71 right now south of the airport. There are a few routes to I-35 other than taking 71 north but you would bypass the double deck mess by downtown.

Here is the TxTag Centex Map (http://www.txtag.org/centex.php).

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2007, 12:15 AM
...and this is different than any other time how :rolleyes:

I-35 is ALWAYS under construction somewhere in Texas. For those of you coming down from north of DFW, the I-35 split at Hillsboro is still a complete mess. There is other scattered sections that are being worked on as well but none as bad as the Hillsboro area.
I concur.

That area was horrible on Sunday. The worst stretch I hit.

SAPD is fairly low profile, but they will nail you in some places. Mostly on some of the split level highways around Downtown. Selma and Schertz are horrible.

bluedogok
11/27/2007, 12:22 AM
We were stuck in a backup there for two hours heading up to the Cowboys Thanksgiving game LAST year. It takes Texas forever to build any "free roads".

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2007, 12:27 AM
It was misting off and on all the way from OK to San Antonio. Construction slowed us in some places and accidents in others. I'd say we hit stand still traffic in about 4 different places all together.

insuranceman_22
11/27/2007, 12:33 AM
I'm gonna need all your warnings, THP nailed me going to Dallas in Oct., but by the end of the game it was alright. Hope we all have safe trips, see some of you in SA I hope!

SOONERnTx
11/27/2007, 12:41 AM
I plan on spending most of my time before the game on the riverwalk, but are there any other places nearby the Alamodome to hang out? I havent been to SA in a while, cant wait to see it filled with Sooners!

colleyvillesooner
11/27/2007, 09:57 AM
How long should I allow to get there from Dallas?

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2007, 10:07 AM
How long should I allow to get there from Dallas?
Depends on when you are traveling.

I usually expect it to take about 5 hours from Dallas.

I've had tickets at Georgetown, Lorena, Waco, Selma, and Schertz. Not all on the same trip of course.

SoonerStormchaser
11/27/2007, 10:21 AM
On a GOOD day, I've done Randolph AFB to Ft. Worth in 3.5 hours. Now granted, those good days meant there were NO slowdowns in Asstin.

BoonesFarmSooner
11/27/2007, 10:25 AM
For those OU fans in Houston going to the game.... There is ALWAYS a HiPo on the other side of the hill when approaching Luling.

He's always about a quarter mile east of the Buccee's gas station, so when you get there - watch your speed!

Been there, done that

sooner45
11/27/2007, 10:38 AM
Also travelling Sooners....

Just North of Austin is a new Loop 130 that takes you east of town- while it is a toll road it will take you as far as hwy 71 where you would head east about 6 miles toward IH 35, then continue south... It is worth taking this route to avoid the Friday traffic on IH 35. Travel safe.

Ok a few questions. I should be leaving downtown Dallas around 12 or 1 on Friday and heading to SA. And Im guessing hitting Austin around 2 or 3?

Would Austin traffic be bad at that time?

If so should I consider taking this toll route????

If so, where does the road start out at off of I-35?? I'm assuming there's signs?

And it looks like it comes out south of Austin? Correct?

I'm also assuming Dallas Toll-tag would not work??

Also, mapquest does not show the toll to go down to 71, just to 290, however this, http://www.txtag.org/centex.php , does show to go down to 71. Im assuming txtag is more correct?? : )

Thanks Guys! Bommer Sooner!!

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2007, 10:43 AM
On a GOOD day, I've done Randolph AFB to Ft. Worth in 3.5 hours. Now granted, those good days meant there were NO slowdowns in Asstin.
I've done San Antonio to OKC in 6 hours twice.

But I'm not telling people to expect that. The time of year, the time you leave, the number of people in your car, the number of stops............

5 hours is a very realistic time for people that drive fast but not dangerously during normal traffic conditions.

bluedogok
11/27/2007, 12:17 PM
Ok a few questions. I should be leaving downtown Dallas around 12 or 1 on Friday and heading to SA. And Im guessing hitting Austin around 2 or 3?

Would Austin traffic be bad at that time?

If so should I consider taking this toll route????

If so, where does the road start out at off of I-35?? I'm assuming there's signs?

And it looks like it comes out south of Austin? Correct?

I'm also assuming Dallas Toll-tag would not work??

Also, mapquest does not show the toll to go down to 71, just to 290, however this, http://www.txtag.org/centex.php , does show to go down to 71. Im assuming txtag is more correct?? : )

Thanks Guys! Bommer Sooner!!
The Dallas TollTag is suppose to work, I know they work sometimes in Houston it might be the same here. I have both the TollTag and TxTag now but only use the TollTag in Dallas. They have a plate reader/bill system in place if your tag isn't read.

You would get on 130 north of Georgetown. The section down to 71 opened up a couple of months ago, I doubt Mapquest has updated its maps. The link that I posted above if the cartoon map from TxTag. I comes in south of the airport, I will look up a better route tonite than running up 71 back to I-35.

I-35 through Austin is bad all the time, Fridays are even worse. My wife works at I-35 & 290 and rarely takes it. The only time that I try to use it is in the middle of the night. There has also been resurfacing going on that creates some issues.I think the toll route will save you 45 minutes to an hour at that time of day.

sooner45
11/27/2007, 12:28 PM
The Dallas TollTag is suppose to work, I know they work sometimes in Houston it might be the same here. I have both the TollTag and TxTag now but only use the TollTag in Dallas. They have a plate reader/bill system in place if your tag isn't read.

You would get on 130 north of Georgetown. The section down to 71 opened up a couple of months ago, I doubt Mapquest has updated its maps. The link that I posted above if the cartoon map from TxTag. I comes in south of the airport, I will look up a better route tonite than running up 71 back to I-35.

I-35 through Austin is bad all the time, Fridays are even worse. My wife works at I-35 & 290 and rarely takes it. The only time that I try to use it is in the middle of the night. There has also been resurfacing going on that creates some issues.I think the toll route will save you 45 minutes to an hour at that time of day.

Sounds great man, I think I'll give it a shot. Hopefully the toll wont cost me $20.00, but if it will save me 45 min to an hour I'm all for it. Now all I need is a radar detector!! :D :D :D

auto
11/27/2007, 12:30 PM
Hillsboro is the devil for tickets on I-35.

bluedogok
11/27/2007, 12:32 PM
Since we are heading to OKC about 90% of the time we head that way (since I don't commute to Dallas anymore) we usually take I-35W through Fort Worth. Alvarado is another trap on that route.

OKLA21FAN
11/27/2007, 12:34 PM
im pulling the 5th wheel and would like to avoid the 'toll upcharge' for that. but i also would like to miss the Austin traffic fiasco.

what about taking HWY 95 south at Temple to Bastrop then taking HWY 21 west to San Marcos? how is those road in terms of 2 lane or 4 lane and such?

thanks

sooner45
11/27/2007, 12:47 PM
im pulling the 5th wheel and would like to avoid the 'toll upcharge' for that. but i also would like to miss the Austin traffic fiasco.

what about taking HWY 95 south at Temple to Bastrop then taking HWY 21 west to San Marcos? how is those road in terms of 2 lane or 4 lane and such?

thanks

Im not sure about your alternate route suggestion but I would think that the toll isnt going to cost THAT much. $5 maybe for the whole thing depending on how many tolls there are on it??

OKLA21FAN
11/27/2007, 01:04 PM
Im not sure about your alternate route suggestion but I would think that the toll isnt going to cost THAT much. $5 maybe for the whole thing depending on how many tolls there are on it??

4 axles

if it is only that much, i'm in then!

(been burned a few times, on the nevar ending toll booths at 3 or so bucks a pop before)

bluedogok
11/27/2007, 01:09 PM
I will check my account tonight to see how much it was on the bike (same price as 2-axle car) from Hutto to the end @ 71. That will give an indication as to how many toll booths there are, I think it was 3 in that distance but will verify.

SoonerRecon
11/27/2007, 01:12 PM
i work in downtown austin across from the capitol, and I35 is a nighmare on Friday afternoons. as much as I would love to see Sooner Nation rolling through this town on the way to the CCG, i have to advise everyone to take the new toll road to the east of town.

plan for major backups at hillsboro, this past sunday was horrible. went 20 miles in 90 minutes.

sooner45
11/27/2007, 01:42 PM
i work in downtown austin across from the capitol, and I35 is a nighmare on Friday afternoons. as much as I would love to see Sooner Nation rolling through this town on the way to the CCG, i have to advise everyone to take the new toll road to the east of town.

plan for major backups at hillsboro, this past sunday was horrible. went 20 miles in 90 minutes.

You mean Hillsboro up by where 35W and 35E meet? Was it backed up going south or north? Wreck or just construction?? Man you guys got me nervous now. I'm planning on leaving around 12 or 1 on Friday but maybe I should leave at 12 or 1 a.m.????? :cool:

bluedogok
11/27/2007, 02:09 PM
They have been redoing the I-35 E/W interchange st Hillsboro for about a year and half now (that I know of), it is a total mess in both directions. When we went to the Cowboys game on Thaksgiving Day 2006, the northbound traffic was backed up past West. It hasn't been as bad coming back but that has usually been around 9pm, but it was still stop-n-go at times. There was also quite a bit of work going on around Italy to Waxahachie on 35W the last time that I was through there.

SoonerRecon
11/27/2007, 02:19 PM
You mean Hillsboro up by where 35W and 35E meet? Was it backed up going south or north? Wreck or just construction?? Man you guys got me nervous now. I'm planning on leaving around 12 or 1 on Friday but maybe I should leave at 12 or 1 a.m.????? :cool:

it is under construction, and was backed up both ways. however it was still 2 lanes open, and i never saw a wreck. we were at a stand still a few times, and never got over 15-20mph?

i'm guessing it was just holiday traffic, but i hope we have just as many Sooner fans traveling down. i can't wait to see all the crimson down here in central tx.

colleyvillesooner
11/28/2007, 11:21 AM

Any luck on another route back to 35?

sooner45
11/28/2007, 11:49 AM
Any luck on another route back to 35?

What better route? Are you saying using the toll going BACK to Dallas is not a viable option, but it IS going TO San Antonio??? Im confused??? :confused:

colleyvillesooner
11/28/2007, 11:54 AM
Try re -reading what I quoted.

he said he was gonna look for another way back to 35 from the toll road, other than 71. I asked if he found one. Nothing to do with a return trip.

bluedogok
11/28/2007, 12:01 PM
I didn't get to it last night, I will figure one out tonite and post it up.

colleyvillesooner
11/28/2007, 12:23 PM
thanks!

sooner45
11/28/2007, 12:40 PM
Try re -reading what I quoted.

he said he was gonna look for another way back to 35 from the toll road, other than 71. I asked if he found one. Nothing to do with a return trip.

Ok, got ya!

bluedogok
11/28/2007, 11:40 PM
I looked and there is no much better way than 71 to I-35. Most other options either require a big header or would have a bunch of stoplights.

From the toll road/71 intersection to San Marcos using 71 to I-35: 33.9 miles

You could take 71 East towards Bastrop and then 21 West to I-35 at San Marcos. This would be a pretty long way to get around a little bit of time on I-35: 53.8 miles

71 West to 973 (just before you get to the airport) to 183 to 1327 to I-35. To the same spot on I-35 is 34.6 miles but there are many lights along this route.

OU GENO
11/29/2007, 08:40 AM
thank's for the info about the toll road it will help alot. Boomer Sooner!

sanantoniosooner
11/29/2007, 08:43 AM
They require you to pay in "toll house cookies" so come prepared.

OKLA21FAN
11/29/2007, 08:45 AM
They require you to pay in "toll house cookies" so come prepared.
i have my saved cookies turned off in my work PC. hope I will be okay!

OKLA21FAN
11/29/2007, 04:45 PM
for those driving in w/ game day parking questions, there are some answers here

http://www.alamobowl.com/faq/faq.php?faq=2