PDA

View Full Version : Wes Welker

AverageJoe
11/26/2007, 10:40 AM
I know it's been said before but WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stoops not offering that guy a ship was probably on of the top 5 recruiting blunders in OU history.

Funny for coach that was said to be just a "ball coach" to miss on a guy who is just a "ball player"

Kid is a STUD of a football player, plain and simple. Could have been one of the best every at OU IMHO.

Man he's good. I really think he is a throwback type player who could play almost every position on the field and actually be good at everyone of them. Amazing.

AJ

GrapevineSooner
11/27/2007, 01:40 PM
Wes has rewarded my faith in him multiple times during this fantasy football season.

BigRedJed
11/28/2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks, Cale Gundy.

yermom
11/28/2007, 08:22 PM
he's really good, but i mean where does he fit? over Bradley? Perkins? Clayton?

i'm sure he would have seen the field though, i just don't think it's some monumental error

what's with Cale Gundy?

BigRedJed
11/28/2007, 08:34 PM
Don't sass me, Tiny.

yermom
11/28/2007, 08:52 PM
shouldn't you be riding your Vesthpa or something? ;)

BigRedJed
11/28/2007, 08:55 PM
Shouldn't you be listening to Pearl Jam on your tiny iPod, dancing in your sandals?

BigRedJed
11/28/2007, 08:56 PM
;)

yermom
11/28/2007, 09:06 PM
that doesn't sound like a bad idea...

SOONER STEAKER
11/29/2007, 11:45 AM
Wes would have retured kicks & punts and probably played some "D", that is all though. His skills just didn't fit into our offensive scheme.

BigRedJed
12/3/2007, 11:51 AM
That's one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen. Which skills don't fit? Catching passes? Making defenders look like fools? Blocking downfield? Playmaking? That kid is a winner and a star regardless of the scheme you put him in.

Did I mention that was one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen?

walkoffsooner
12/4/2007, 11:15 AM
The only reason I can think of not to recruit him is his speed. He is so fast it is hard to lead him enough.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/4/2007, 12:30 PM
Wes has rewarded my faith in him multiple times during this fantasy football season.

Amen to that...I have had him on my teamn every year he has been in the pros. He has paid nice dividends.

bluedogok
12/16/2007, 10:08 PM
I think going to Tech was much better for Welker in the long term. He became the primary receiver which would not have happened at OU. He probably would have been buried on the depth chart. They should have offered, but you can't offer to everyone, if that was the case UT would have "all" the recruits according to the people down here. Sometimes a different place is better for the player.

Collier11
12/17/2007, 05:13 PM
Wes wouldnt have had near the oppurtunity to shine at OU and therefore likely wouldnt have even gotten a serious tryout. IMHO

Sooner24
12/17/2007, 07:13 PM
I worked with his dad and he told me that from the time he was in the fifth grade Wes dreamed of playing for OU. When Leach offered him a scholarship he told his dad as much as he wanted to play at OU he wasn't going to turn down Tech's offer so his dad wouldn't have to pay for college. If Tech had not offered him he was going to walk on at OU.

Sooner24
12/17/2007, 07:16 PM
One more thing. I know there have been more gifted athletes come out of Oklahoma but I promise there has never been anyone from this state, with the exception of Jim Thorpe, that can do as many things on the football field as Welker can.

BarryBnds
12/18/2007, 06:16 PM
Hard to knock Stoops' first class at all.

bluedogok
12/30/2007, 07:28 PM
Here is an article about Wes in today's Boston Globe.

Boston Globe - Welker again comes up big (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/12/30/welker_again_comes_up_big/)
Little things lead to a huge victory

By Michael Vega
Globe Staff / December 30, 2007

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - On a night when the Patriots made a full-on assault on the NFL history book, punctuating their perfect 16-0 regular season with a 38-35 victory over the New York Giants, it seemed it was the littlest things that mattered most.

Take, for example, Wes Welker.

Often the smallest player on the field dating to his days at Heritage Hall High School in Oklahoma City, Welker always took pride in playing football with the heart, courage, and grit of much larger men. It was no different last night as the Patriots set out to make history.

In the end, as he has all season, Welker did the little things.

Take, for example, his first catch: a 14-yarder from Tom Brady on the Patriots' second play from scrimmage that followed a 14-yard connection between Brady and Randy Moss. Ranked second in the NFL with 101 receptions through 15 games, Welker entered last night needing one catch to break a tie with Troy Brown for the franchise record for a season. Welker wasted little time getting the milestone reception.

He went on to make 10 more catches for 108 yards, giving him a team-high 11 for 122 yards. And after the game in the crowded visitors' locker room at Giants Stadium, Welker gathered his belongings and carefully packed them in a large duffle bag. But he reserved a special spot for the official program from the game. Would it be his special memento from a special season?

"Yeah, I always keep those," he said. "It's been special, a special year and we've had some good games and we've been able to fight back and win some, but [going 16-0] means a great deal. We still have a lot of work ahead of us and we still have to focus on the prize at hand."

And that prize would be a perfect run in the playoffs, ending with a win in the Super Bowl.

In his first season with the Patriots, Welker became an integral part of the NFL's most-prolific offense, and experienced more success in one year in New England than he did in the last two seasons with the Dolphins. He made more catches (112) for more yards (1,175) and more touchdowns (8) and won more games than he had in 2005-06 in Miami, where he made 96 catches for 1,121 yards and 1 TD on teams that combined for a 15-17 record.

But 112 catches? In one season?

"I never thought that in my wildest dreams," Welker said. "It's something that I can look back and be proud of, but we still have a long ways to go and some bigger things to do out there."

Welker said he never gave one moment's thought to the opportunities that awaited him with the Patriots.

"It's nothing that we really talked about," Welker said, referring to the Patriots' record-setting offense. "We talked about winning football and winning one game at a time and that's what we've done so far and that's what we need to continue to do."

When Brady tied Peyton Manning's NFL record of 49 TD passes in a season with a 4-yard second-quarter toss to Moss, Welker said he never wondered if he would be the one to help his quarterback set the mark alone. That honor went to Moss, who did it in dazzling fashion on a 65-yard grab in the fourth quarter that atoned for a drop he made on a wide-open deep ball the play before.

"You're focused on the task at hand and all the other stuff was media hype," Welker said. "It is special. I mean, I'm happy Tom and Randy did it because I love those guys and they've done a great job and they deserve everything they get, but our goal was to win the game."

From the 14-yard catch he made for his first grab, to the block he made on safety James Butler on Laurence Maroney's 6-yard TD run that pulled the Patriots within 28-23, to his 11th catch of the night - a 12-yarder in which he converted a third and 9 and kept the clock running by staying inbounds at the Giants' 10 - Welker did all the little things.

The little things that mattered most in a 16-0 season.

Michael Vega can be reached at [email protected].

KingDavid
12/31/2007, 02:53 AM
Welker is one of the good guys, in the mold of Steve Largent, Bill Bates, Rudy T. and others who got every ounce of mileage out of their God-given talent.

yermom
12/31/2007, 04:11 AM
yep, he was impressive with the Dolphins even.

how many players have returned kicks and kicked PATs and FGs in the same game?

it's really cool he's getting to have such a role in this offense this year

SoonerTerry
12/31/2007, 12:26 PM
I love watchin the guy play..

And I can admit it now.. it always scared the crap out of me every time he touched the ball against OUr beloved Sooners.

BigRedJed
12/31/2007, 02:02 PM
Still shaking my head at the people who think he wouldn't have fit OU's system had he come here, or that he never would have seen the field. The guy DEFINES "gamer."

I'm not dogging the staff (especially Stoops, who wasn't responsible for how that particular episode went down). Every team misses on recruiting from time to time -- it won't be the last time it happens at OU. Stoops and Co. "blow it" on precious few. But don't think for a minute that the Welker thing wasn't a learning experience for that staff.

bluedogok
12/31/2007, 10:56 PM
That is a big problem with the NFL as well, many rely way too much on "measurables" so you get guys that look great in the combine and on paper but don't have the heart or mind to maximize their physical tools. I think the top programs in college have some of this as well in recruiting, they rely too much on the physical potential and some of the ones with more heart than physical gifts fall through the cracks. Also playing in a lower classification hurts some of these guys as well in terms of perception, he put up ridiculous stats at Heritage Hall but most figured it was a byproduct of the classification.

He is definitely a "heart" guy.

bluedogok
12/31/2007, 10:58 PM
Duplicate post

Collier11
1/28/2008, 01:49 PM
Really good article

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3214646&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

BillyBall
1/28/2008, 02:33 PM
He's a great guy too, I went to high school with him at HH and I can't say a single bad thing about him.